Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Paris: Westin or Prince de Galle? [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Paris: Westin or Prince de Galle? [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2005, 4:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Starwood Platinum,Marriott Platinum, United Silver
Arrow Paris: Westin or Prince de Galle? [Master Thread]

I'm sure I could pull together some facts with a search (actually, I have done this). My wife and I are planning a trip to Paris and Versailles, leaving June 28th. In Paris, I have to choose between the two Starwood hotels - the Prince de Galles or the Westin. Any insights on what you all consider the best option would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks.

Steve
Old Dec 23, 2005, 10:30 am

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Paris: Westin or Prince De Gaulle?

I did some search on both hotels and can't decide on which one to stay at.
Can anyone recommend one or the other based on the following factors:
1) Its a short trip (two nights on the way from London to Frankfurt)
2) Its Paris Marathon Weekend (we are not running, but supporting our friends that are)
3) Looking to be close to Le Marais/Les Halle (I know Westin is closer, but maybe price De Gaulle is better?)
4) Hip(er) accomodations/restaurant/lounge/crowd is appreciated (but considering the hotels, probably not expected)

Finally, is Prince De Gaulle really that much better than Wesyin in Paris?

Thanks you!
Old Dec 23, 2005, 9:03 pm

Programs: United, Starwood, Hilton
Westin is great. Stayed over Thanksgiving and the rooms and Lounge were awesome. I have never stayed at the Prince, but the Westin is in a great location for darting around and the staff in the lounge is GREAT.

Originally Posted by asnovici
I did some search on both hotels and can't decide on which one to stay at.
Can anyone recommend one or the other based on the following factors:
1) Its a short trip (two nights on the way from London to Frankfurt)
2) Its Paris Marathon Weekend (we are not running, but supporting our friends that are)
3) Looking to be close to Le Marais/Les Halle (I know Westin is closer, but maybe price De Gaulle is better?)
4) Hip(er) accomodations/restaurant/lounge/crowd is appreciated (but considering the hotels, probably not expected)

Finally, is Prince De Gaulle really that much better than Wesyin in Paris?

Thanks you!
Old Aug 24, 2007, 4:24 am

Programs: *Wood Gold, Hyatt Plat, AA Gold, UA 1K
Westin Paris or Prince de Galles????

Hope you all can help me. I have done countless searches and have read many, many reviews of these two hotels and I still am not sure where to stay. I currently have reservations using points at the PDG in March of 2008 for seven nights leaving on Easter to come home. I am Plat - where will I treated better? Cost 120K points for seven nights - 5th night free.

Thanks in advance as I am totally confused and don't want to make a mistake as this will be a big trip for us and I have never been to Paris.
Old Aug 24, 2007, 4:55 am

For first timers, I would recommend Westin. Its location can not be beat. PDG might be perceived as more luxurious, but it is not in the same league as true Parisian luxury as FSGV or Crillon.

Some rooms at Westin overlook Jardin Des Tuilleries and even Eiffel Tower, while PDG rooms have not much of a view to speak of.

PDG rooms have not been renovated in a while (although I believe a plan is its way, as I have seen photos of the their model rooms). Westin is renovating their rooms at the moment (soft refurbishing -- installing LCDs).
Old Aug 24, 2007, 10:43 am
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Sorry, but as somebody who has been to Paris loads of times (it really is an amazing city - make sure you check out the forum that is devoted to Paris in Travel & Dining) I would recommend PdG. It is old world loveliness. It's very elegant. Rooms are smallish, but they tend to take very good care of Platinum members there. It's off the Champs d'Elysses so for your first time that's a very central location. It's also near two metro stops.

As far as "not making a mistake. . " honestly - you'll enjoy Paris a whole lot more if you just let things happen and unfold as they do.
Old Aug 28, 2007, 4:06 pm

Programs: spg, co
staying at westin paris nov 07

my wife and i will be staying there in november. a few folks we spoke with echoed the points made earlier about the westin's location. will post on my return. i'm platinum and hope for an upgrade.
Old Aug 28, 2007, 5:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by youssed
my wife and i will be staying there in november. a few folks we spoke with echoed the points made earlier about the westin's location. will post on my return. i'm platinum and hope for an upgrade.
I will be at Le Meridien Etoile this week because it is on my company's preferred property list.

However, if I were to pay or use points for my stay in Paris, it will be at the Westin Paris without any hesitation. I have been treated very well there as a Plat and the location is absolutely fantastic, better than being on the Champs Elysees IMO. And you can walk to the Champs Elysees although it would be a long walk.
Old Aug 28, 2007, 5:44 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Delta Plat, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton Diamon
Originally Posted by sapguy
I will be at Le Meridien Etoile this week...
Been to Paris many times. I've stayed at the Le Meridien Etoile. It is much nicer than the Le Meridien Montparnasse.

I've also stayed at the Westin. Great hotel, good location. But I've also stayed some of the crappiest Best Western's Paris has to offer.

At the end of the day, it's Paris. Doesn't matter where you stay. You can always have a wonderful time in Paris. Who stays in their hotel room anyway? It's Paris!!
Old Aug 29, 2007, 11:31 am

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by griffinj
Been to Paris many times. I've stayed at the Le Meridien Etoile. It is much nicer than the Le Meridien Montparnasse.
Glad to hear that your stay at LM Etoile was good. The thread on that hotel on this board suggested that it looks more like a not-so-nice Holiday Inn :-(

How long ago was your stay? Can you provide some details?
Old Aug 29, 2007, 11:33 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat, HH Gold
Another vote for the Westin. It's within walking distance to Louvre and Notre Dame. There's a subway stop right in front of the hotel. If you are plat and lucky, you get a room that faces the Jardin Des Tuilleries and you can see Eiffel Tower sparkles at night. Most romantic scenary I have seen. Westin also has a lounge and provides a decent breakfast and evening snacks.

No experience with PDG. It's in Champs d'Elysses area. It's more of a shopping dinning area, which I didn't care much about.
Old Aug 29, 2007, 11:47 am

Programs: UA 1K3MM, Marriot-Gold, HH-Gold, IHG-Pt, Amex-Pt, JPMorgan-Rsv
Originally Posted by ldsant
I would recommend PdG. It is old world loveliness. It's very elegant. Rooms are smallish, but they tend to take very good care of Platinum members there. It's off the Champs d'Elysses so for your first time that's a very central location. It's also near two metro stops.
Yes. Prince de Galles is location location, location! ^
And they treated me extremely well when I was SPG-Pt.

However, I was envied the next door - Four Seasons....
Old Aug 29, 2007, 11:50 am

Programs: LH SEN, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by sapguy
Glad to hear that your stay at LM Etoile was good. The thread on that hotel on this board suggested that it looks more like a not-so-nice Holiday Inn :-(

How long ago was your stay? Can you provide some details?
I just stayed there last week, really had to use the 2000 bonus points/night offer. It's a nice business hotel, especially for a hotel in Paris, but nothing exceptional. Got upgraded to the president club floor (floors 8 and 9) as a gold, but the room I had was right next to elevators, so I switched and got a nice and spacious room on the fourth floor. Can't really comment on the service, but check-in and check-out went fast and everybody was friendly. They even knew that German tax authorities are quite picky with what is written on the bill and took good care of my needs.

I will definitely go back there when I get the opportunity.
Old Aug 29, 2007, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by youssed
just manage your expectations. I've had one of my worst Starwood experiences, ever, there. Yet, I also see many positive reviews. Keep your expectations low and you may be surprised.
Old Aug 29, 2007, 3:04 pm

Programs: *Wood Gold, Hyatt Plat, AA Gold, UA 1K
Thanks to all.....

I have decided to let my partner make the decision....I just am still not sure. The reviews on here and elsewhere are positive about the Westin...more positive of late than the PDG. So I will pass the buck! I do love the location of the Westin....can't be beat.

Thanks to all I really appreciate the thoughts and insights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.