Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton vs Le Meridien in Moscow [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton vs Le Meridien in Moscow [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2005, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Arrow Sheraton vs Le Meridien in Moscow [Master Thread]

Yes.....not only have I searched the forum.....I have found and read the past reviews of the Sheraton Palace Moscow. But, the most recent postings are at least 6+ months old. And.....with Le Meridien, there will be two new Starwood Properties (altho we can't make reservations until March 17).

The reviews posted in the previous threads about the Sheraton Palace are very mixed, not only about the level of service, but also the quality of the property. On my previous vacations to Russia, I have seen that at most hotels. Has anyone been there recently....any updates on the property? Also....one poster said a 10 min walk to Red Square....another said 20 mins....and the hotel's web site indicates a 30 min hike. Is this dependent on whether you are strolling or undertaking a power walk? Why the discrepancy?

Moving on the the new properties......has anyone recently stayed at either of the LeMeridiens in Moscow? Comments on quality of the property, level of service, location and what's around the area?

We will be there on vacation, so no business expenses to write off. We are looking for great location for tourists......close to the sites......walking distance preferred.

I have been to Moscow numerous times, but the last time was almost 20 years ago, and I don't remember the layout of the city very well.

(Also....I know Starwood does not have any properties in St Petersburg......can anyone offer suggestions on well-situated hotels, safe, but within a tourist's price range. We can't cash in points, since even LeMeridien does not have properties in St Pete.)
Old Dec 16, 2005, 11:00 am

Programs: CO Plat, Starwood Plat, Hyatt Plat, Hilton Diamond, CO Pres. Plus, Hertz #1 Gold
The Meridien National is across the street from the Kremlin close by the tourist entrance to it, on the same street as the Sheraton (Tverskaya), but saving you the walk down. Tverskaya, and it has been a while for me as well since I was last in Moscow, is one of the main shopping streets. At the Meridien, Lenin held court there back in the day, you are a 5-10 minute walk to Red Square, etc. A beautiful old hotel. Stayed at the Sheraton my last time there, some years ago as I wrote, and it was perfectly fine as far as I was concerned although further away from Kremlin and Red Square. I’m a bit of a fast walker, though, and enjoyed it even in mid-winter.

Last edited by From NYC; Dec 16, 2005 at 11:38 am
Old Dec 16, 2005, 2:06 pm

Recent Stay at Sheraton Palace Moscow

Originally Posted by kevinsac
Yes.....not only have I searched the forum.....I have found and read the past reviews of the Sheraton Palace Moscow. But, the most recent postings are at least 6+ months old. And.....with Le Meridien, there will be two new Starwood Properties (altho we can't make reservations until March 17).

The reviews posted in the previous threads about the Sheraton Palace are very mixed, not only about the level of service, but also the quality of the property. On my previous vacations to Russia, I have seen that at most hotels. Has anyone been there recently....any updates on the property? Also....one poster said a 10 min walk to Red Square....another said 20 mins....and the hotel's web site indicates a 30 min hike. Is this dependent on whether you are strolling or undertaking a power walk? Why the discrepancy?

Moving on the the new properties......has anyone recently stayed at either of the LeMeridiens in Moscow? Comments on quality of the property, level of service, location and what's around the area?

We will be there on vacation, so no business expenses to write off. We are looking for great location for tourists......close to the sites......walking distance preferred.

I have been to Moscow numerous times, but the last time was almost 20 years ago, and I don't remember the layout of the city very well.

(Also....I know Starwood does not have any properties in St Petersburg......can anyone offer suggestions on well-situated hotels, safe, but within a tourist's price range. We can't cash in points, since even LeMeridien does not have properties in St Pete.)

I stayed at the Sheraton Palace in Moscow the first week of November. As a platinum, I was upgraded to a junior suite, which translated to a large room with 1 and a half baths. Although I paid $500 a night, I wouldn't call this a luxury hotel. It was, however, a very nice, clean hotel and the staff was most accomodating.

As a platinum guest, I had access to the lounge for breakfast and happy hour. Without exception, this was the BEST club room breakfast I have ever had. Happy hour (though ONLY an hour) included hot snacks and open bar.

The lobby and public rooms are a bit dated, but again, clean and well maintained. The restaurants were a bit expensive, not unlike hotel restaurants in most hotels.

The hotel is a bit off the beaten path. The walk to Red Square is easily 30 minutes. However, the Bellarouska (sp?) metro station is two blocks away and we found the metro system very easy to navigate. There were a number of nearby restaurants and cafe's (Sbarro pizza, pizza hut) nearby. There is Citibank ATM in the lobby (dispensing roubles and dollars) and a full service Citibank next door. The ladies staffing the club room may suggest the American Bar and Grill for dinner. Avoid this place at all costs. The worst food imaginable. We had great luck at small, local restaurants - often guessing at the menu, pointing at what we wanted to try and enjoying the surprise of what we got!

I didn't get a chance to try it, but my traveling companions raved about the sauna and hot tub, but the gym is of typical hotel quality.

There is high speed wireless internet access, but it cost approximately $25 a day. Not the greatest bargain.
Old Dec 19, 2005, 9:39 pm

Marriott has the most properties in Russia. They have 4 or 5 in Moscow and one (Rennaissance) in St. Petersburg.

I think the one in St. Petersburg is the only American chain hotel in the city.

In Moscow, there is a Hyatt and the one Starwood property and that's it except for the Marriotts.

All are very expensive in the summer
Old Oct 29, 2006, 5:12 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by From NYC
At the Meridien, Lenin held court there back in the day,
Lenin and his wife stayed in room 107 at the Le Meridien National

--
Old Oct 18, 2007, 11:04 am
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
any updates??
Old Oct 18, 2007, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by abk
any updates??
Seconded. It looks like the Sheraton is the only one participating in the SPG program now, correct? I'll be heading to Moscow next May as part of my OSL-SVO-HKG itin on the SU mistake fare. Any recent reviews?
Old Oct 18, 2007, 3:52 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LifetimeTitanium, UA Plat 2MM, LHW LeadersClub, IHGPlat, HiltonDiamnd, ASMVPG100K, WyndDiamnd
I had a very nice stay this summer at the Méridien National. Upgraded to a small, but lovely, junior suite. Did not have a Kremlin view, but had one from the breakfast dining room (included in my rate). The breakfast was one of the finest anywhere (fabulous pastries). The location is perhaps the best in Moscow. Service was very friendly. Highly recommended.

I stayed at the Sheraton a few years ago and definitely not as luxurious as the Méridien. As I remember the walk is about 20 -30 minutes but YMMV.
Old Oct 21, 2007, 1:02 am

Programs: AmEx Centurion, SPG Platinum; LH Senator; Sixt Platinum; HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Anglo Large Clawed Otter
Seconded. It looks like the Sheraton is the only one participating in the SPG program now, correct? I'll be heading to Moscow next May as part of my OSL-SVO-HKG itin on the SU mistake fare. Any recent reviews?
Just stayed at Sheraton first week of October 2007. Still, I need to agree that while this is not the most perfect hotel in Moscow, it is very well maintained and club lounge breakfast is perfect.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.