Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

GONE : Le Meridien Khao Lak, Thailand (leaving Starwood 31 Oct 2014) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GONE : Le Meridien Khao Lak, Thailand (leaving Starwood 31 Oct 2014) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2008, 5:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Silver, *Wood Gold, Marriott Silver
Cool My recent experience this March as a Platinum

ARRIVAL AND CHECK-IN
We took the hotel “limousine” (air-conditioned Camry) from Phuket airport for 1800baht. Driver spoke above-average English. (we did the same for our departure and had an even more fluent and funny driver who we really enjoyed)

Arrived late at night (10pm) and asked about Khao Sok tours the following day (my mistake, I hadn’t booked one in advance like they asked me to). The manager called the tour manager at home on her mobile and got her to call around until she found one that could take us. Kind of amazing.

Using the cash + points option for a 3 night stay, we didn’t get upgraded, but did get offered my choice of Platinum benefit. I took the 500 points; my stay has posted but the points haven’t. I was walked through my benefits which included a coupon for two free drinks.

THE ROOM
The regular Starwood Preferred Guest room (we had a pool view, I don’t think that is an upgrade though) was spacious and nicely designed/decorated, but seemed to have suffered a bit from the humidity. It always seemed a bit damp and musty until we’d had the A/C blasting on 19 celcius for an hour.

No wine in the room (I guess that is an off-season amenity!) but we had a gorgeous fruit plate in our room that was replenished daily. This was my fourth hotel stay on this trip (two *wood as a Platinum and two Hilton as a Diamond) and it was by far the most exotic fruit plate of the trip. One night we were also given a tray of three different hors d’oeuvres covered with saran wrap; I am a vegetarian so I couldn’t have eaten them even if I wanted to (they didn’t look very appetizing to be honest).

THE STAFF
The staff is uneven. Trainees everywhere, limited knowledge of English, etc. Some folks bend over backwards for you like the night manager; others just don’t quite get it – like the front desk lady I called in a panic on our third day. We had left for an excursion and I managed to leave my wedding and engagement rings sitting out in our room. We had left the “please clean our room” light on. I asked if someone could go to our room and lock them in the safe. She proposed instead that they just tell the maids not to clean our room. I said I’d really prefer if someone could just go lock them up so I would know they were ok. She asked, “What if we go to your room and they are not there?” This made my blood freeze. She was very carefully refusing to take responsibility for the safety of my jewelry. I don’t blame her, to be honest … so I told her to go with Plan B and tell the staff not to clean the room. I was heartsick the rest of the day. We got back around 6pm and the rings were still sitting where I left them ... but the room had been serviced!!!!!! Yikes!

Email communications with the hotel prior to arrival were ok but slow; the guy who helped me reserve my airport transfer was quick but the concierge was a bit slower to respond and had to be reminded. Once he did though, he got me in touch with the hotel’s affiliated tour and SCUBA shops so I could make arrangements for excursions and diving.

THE RESORT/THE BEACH
The beach was nice enough – very soft sand, amazingly warm water. I am not a beach person but I did want to get in a swim; until I started bumping into huge jellyfish! They didn’t sting me but one of them got my husband pretty good. That was our last swim. We did go for one more dip (up to the shoulders) at sunset on our last night and didn’t encounter any more of the nasty critters. Amazing variety of shells on the beach. We really enjoyed hanging out at the Bamboo Bar and watching the nightly sunsets when we weren’t off on excursions. The pina coladas were wildly uneven from batch to batch, ranging from perfect to watery. Again, I chalk it up to inexperienced staff.

I saw people walking back from town laden with plastic bags full of bottled water. I couldn’t fathom why they were making that trek in the stifling humidity when the hotel provides more complimentary water in the room than we could drink in a day. Perhaps the water is a Platinum benefit?

I really appreciated that there is a “family wing” and a “spa wing” (read: adult wing). I don’t have kids and I don’t want to spend my vacation with other people’s kids!

The Spa is sumptuous! But make sure to reserve early. My husband and I each had a glorious Thai massage at the same time in our own Spa Villa, but when I wanted to book a pedicure I couldn’t find a time that worked with my schedule over a two day period. I actually had a better Thai massage for 300 baht in Bangkok – this one cost 6 times as much for a 90mn massage – but the ambiance was a million times nicer, and unlike my Bangkok massage, I was on a proper massage table with one of those donut shaped cushion things for my head.

THE FOOD
We had our choice of free breakfast buffet at the main restaurant Liliwadee, or at the smaller, more intimate Baan Thai, which has a much smaller buffet and an a la carte menu, but only between 8-10am. I experienced none of the problems with the messy buffets described by others. We ate around 8am both times (the other two days we were either running late, or leaving too early to eat). Both breakfasts were quite good and lavish. Both have indoor seating with A/C when the humidity gets too oppressive to sit outside.

We had one Italian lunch at Banksak, one Indian dinner at Kuk Kak, and one Thai dinner at Baan Thai. The last one was by far the best – the others just “pretty good”. Prices are hard to stomach after you’ve been eating on the cheap in Bangkok but probably pretty reasonable for a resort of this caliber. And yes, reservations at dinner are a good idea if the hotel is busy. The night we ate at Baan Thai, the hotel had performed some sort of ceremony on the beach where they launch big white lanterns into the sky over the beach. They go up and up and up, and last about 10 minutes before the flame goes out. We could see tiny glowing lights high up in the sky – it was really magical. I will definitely remember that night!
Old Apr 22, 2008, 2:08 pm

Programs: AV LifeMiles, CM ConnectMiles, BA Exec Club. Former:ex-ASGold, ex-UA1K, ex-COPlat, ex-NWGold.
Just had a 3-night stay here about a week ago. Absolutely loved it.

Award stay, and yet got upgraded beyond what was expected, to a lovely and spacious lagoon villa. Light from three sides from near-floor-to-ceiling windows, with both night shades and light screens. Even without, the landscaping provides privacy. Villas get your own butler, with personalized wake-up calls including delivery of coffee, tea, or juice, free pressing of 2 items/day, free unpacking/packing if you wish, and your butler as your single point of contact for reservations etc. Platinums and/or villa guests get free breakfast in Baan Thai, which includes both western and Asian buffet items and hot to-order items. Got a bottle of wine and large fruit basket in the villa.

Property is lovely, and the beach is great. We didn't have any jellyfish issues, unlike some earlier posters, and we spent a fair amount of time in the water. We were there for Songkran, and they had a few different events for it, as well as the expected (but not excessive) water splashing.

We had Japanese food one night at Twin Lakes pavilion (behind Kukkak) and another night was an excellent special Songkran buffet in the Lilawadee Cafe. First night, we strolled down the beach to Rim Lay. Also lunched there during one of our beach days. Rim Lay is fabulous and amazingly inexpensive compared to the hotel's restaurants. If you go there at night, wear bug repellent.

They've opened a new location for their on-site small zoo; it's now just past the Kara C leather and antiques/specialties shop, on the entrance road maybe 1/2 km or less from the hotel. Many birds, some gibbons (I think), and a small herd of deer.

While at Kara C, wondering about why the shop and the hotel's car service is named that, I read the story of how it is the name of the owner's daughter who was killed there in the Tsunami. Many people might have sworn never to return to that site rather than have the strength and care to choose to rebuild and create jobs, economic opportunities, and and a wonderfully peaceful and refreshing resort.

My wife made a post about the resort on her travel blog.

I would definitely make a return visit there - very much enjoyed the hospitality and facilities of the resort, and of the overall area. Also it's still a good deal, even at the now-higher point value of Cat 3 or cash prices about 20% higher than a year ago.

Edit: just re-read the Feb 08 comment about no internet access or TV. We had very solid wired hi-speed in the villa, at 650 baht/day. Expensive, but typical of the $20-25USD I expect at most overseas hotels for internet. Also numerous TV channels. No HD for the 42" screen, but unlike typical hotel TVs at least the original remote was there to control the aspect ratio (I hate "fattened" SD tv pictures stretched out on an HD screen.)

Last edited by MarkXS; Apr 22, 2008 at 2:16 pm
Old May 14, 2008, 5:46 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond, CO Silver, AAdavantage, USAIR
looking to stay here in January 2009. I was noticing a few people mention the jellyfish, and was wondering if anybody else had any encounters with them. This seems like it could be a trip killer. thanks.
Old May 14, 2008, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by dave8624
looking to stay here in January 2009. I was noticing a few people mention the jellyfish, and was wondering if anybody else had any encounters with them. This seems like it could be a trip killer. thanks.
I LOVE LOVE LOVE this hotel. The deluxe oceanfront or 2-bedroom oceanfront villas are simply glorious. For $400 or so a night, an absolute steal. 10 steps from the sand. All the public areas are outstanding. Never saw a jellyfish.
Old May 15, 2008, 4:54 am

Programs: Mattiott Lifetime Titanium Elite, LH SEN, IB Emerald, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dave8624
I've been at the resort in April 08 and I have to say it's superb.
First of all - no problems with jellyfishes in April 08

We've booked the hotel transfer from Phuket Airport to the LM Khao Lak which was very comfortable. After picking up our luggage we headed to the LM airport lounge where we got cold towels and some drinks. After that the white limousine (contains drinks, hotel information brochure) brought us to the resort.

We arrived at 10am - so very early for checking in. Moreover, we booked the hotel with a travel agency (prepaid).
I noticed at the check-in procedure that I'm SPG Plat member. The concierge immediately tried to organize Plat benefits for me. Regrettably, the hotel was fully booked. No Suite avaiable for me. But he arranged a nice pool view room. In addition to this I got 500-plat-points, free fruits every day, a welcome coconut and access to Baan Thai A-La-Carte Breakfast (only for SPG Plat and Suite-guests). Quite good for a travel-agency prepaid-rate.

The room itself was very comfortable. It was located on the Spa Wing, 3rd floor.

Deluxe Pool View Room

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/6396/alim0524fi1.jpg
Balcony View on Spa Wing

The beach is very calm and relaxing. One minor issue - sun beds are often occupied with towel in the morning. If you want one in the first beach row prepare to be at the towel desk at 8am.

http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/1694/alim0530vi7.jpg
Beach view (from the water)
http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/1117/alim0549da4.jpg
Beach (right side of the hotel)

The hotel has 3 pools for swimming/relaxing:
- 1 large pool in the middle of the resort.
- 1 family pool at the family wing (never been there)
- 1 Spa pool (very quiet - very relaxing)
As general only very few people were in the pool.

http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/976/alim0582wc9.jpg
View on Spa Wing Pool in the afternoon

Resort in the evening:
http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/561/dsc03410sj2.jpg
Lobby
http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/5728/dsc03402ob9.jpg
Lobby (upper level) and main restaurant Cafe Lilawadee (lower level)

In Cafe Lilawadee you get the main breakfast - very good - but sometimes a little bit crowded.
As Platinum and suite guest you get access to the a-la-carte-breakfast of Baan Thai (located at the garden villas).
There I got one of the best breakfasts of Starwood.

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/9595/dsc03444ey7.jpg
View from my breakfast table
http://img501.imageshack.us/img501/5522/dsc03627gc0.jpg
Again from my breakfast table (black swan)
http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/8282/dsc03630xi7.jpg
Baan Thai Outside
http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/4021/dsc03637yb8.jpg
Baan Thai Inside (small buffet for fruits, pastries, etc. - all other things a la carte)

All in all one of the best Starwood experiences I had. I really recommend this hotel.
Old May 15, 2008, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Thanks for the pictures, Andie007 ^

I can't wait for my vacation there next month!
Old May 15, 2008, 6:21 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by BlissWorld
Thanks for the pictures, Andie007 ^

I can't wait for my vacation there next month!
If you look carefully you will notice the toliet and tub are right by the window and the blinds are on the outside. This makes for great blackmail of loved ones.
Old Jun 5, 2008, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Exclamation Pool view versus garden view

Is the 8,000 pts./night pool view room worth it over the 7,000 pts./night garden view room?
Old Jun 5, 2008, 4:48 am

Programs: Mattiott Lifetime Titanium Elite, LH SEN, IB Emerald, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Is the 8,000 pts./night pool view room worth it over the 7,000 pts./night garden view room?

It is!
Then you'll have a room on the upper floor.
Garden view means ground floor with lots of "nature" right in front of your room. Mostly no sun there... perhaps some geckos
Old Jun 5, 2008, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does anyone know if this is still the best person to contact with regards to special requests on reservation and booking activities: [email protected] ?

I sent an email to the address listed on the website but I have not yet heard from them.
Old Jun 6, 2008, 3:07 am

Programs: UA LT 1K HYglob Marr LT Titanium
Originally Posted by BlissWorld
Does anyone know if this is still the best person to contact with regards to special requests on reservation and booking activities: [email protected] ?

I sent an email to the address listed on the website but I have not yet heard from them.
Try this.

[email protected]

She's one of the assit. managers and has helped out a few times.

Good luck!
Old Jun 8, 2008, 2:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lovtofly3
Try this.

[email protected]

She's one of the assit. managers and has helped out a few times.

Good luck!
Thanks!
Old Jun 8, 2008, 2:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Guys, a couple of questions:

1. Are the cheap laundry/convenient store (7-11?) literally just across the street from the resort? Will it be hard to find?

2. How much does LM charge for laundry?
Old Jun 8, 2008, 3:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
IIRC there are some laundry places across from the hotel. For sure in "downtown" Khao Lak. 200-300 baht taxi ride.

Don't know what the hotel charges, I never bother checking the bill as it is usually quite cheap.
Old Jun 8, 2008, 3:46 pm

Programs: Bonvoy-lifeime Titanium,Amex Plat
Cheap Laundry Facility

As you exit the resort, walkk to the left a 200 yards or so and on the right hand side there is a laundry facility or at least there was one a 18 months ago. Very nice young lady who spoke some english. Just before the laundry facility, there is or was a restaurant with outdoor seating, run by a husbad and wife (the lady's name is Tukk Tuk) which I highly recommend for a cheap casual meal. Tuk Tuk speaks english and very accomodating..

Good Luck..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.