Beirut Four Points [Master Thread]

Old Dec 9, 2005, 1:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: BD / BA / AF
Arrow Beirut Four Points [Master Thread]

I was considering a stay in Beirut, at one of the Four Points. A cursory search on here reveals no mentions of either the 'Four Points by Sheraton Le Verdun' or the 'Four Points by Sheraton Bhamdoun', although the Sheraton Coral Beach gets a mention. If anyone has stayed at either of the Beirut Four Points, I'd love to hear from them.

Also, can anyone comment on the security situation for an American visiting Lebanon? I've spoken to a friend who reports anecdotally that travel to Beirut is safe, but she's of Middle-Eastern descent and therefore doesn't stick out quite as obviously as a tourist. The Department of State seems to indicate that the situation is somewhat less rosy, but I always take the DoS warnings with a grain of salt -- they tend to err on the side of caution.

Beirut is a place I've always wanted to visit, but I'm not prepared to put myself at serious risk just to cross it off my list...
Old Dec 10, 2005, 5:57 pm
BA

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Delta Gold Medallion, Hilton Honors Gold
Beirut is very safe for Americans and all tourists. The Lebanese people are very much used to tourism and tourists, it's the main driving factor of the Lebanese economy.

I have seen nationalities of all types in Beirut, everything from Danish, to Polish, to Russian, to British, to Americans.

I'd also take the Department of State warnings with a grain of salt.

The Four Points Le Verdun is one of Beirut's newest hotels. I would HIGHLY recommend it even though I haven't seen it myself personally yet. I have seen pictures of it and it really looks nice for a Four Points. It opened just last December, so it is just a year old now.

It's located right next to the fancy Verdun street which is a street with a number of cafes and shops. It's one of the most expensive streets in the world.

The Four Points Bhamdoun is way up in the mountains. It's far from Beirut.

The Sheraton Coral Beach is a nice resort, but it is located right next to a very poor suburb of Beirut called the Ouzai. It's not unsafe or anything, but it might not be something nice to look at. It's a very poor area. The Sheraton Coral Beach along with the Beirut Marriott however are the closest hotels to the airport. The Sheraton Coral Beach has an amazing view of aircraft landing on Beirut's runway 16 (sea runway).

As I said, I would highly recommend the Four Points Le Verdun. Check out the reviews here:
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...un-Beirut.html

Check out this also:
http://www.ameinfo.com/51059.html

Have a great time in Beirut! It's a wonderful city.
Old Apr 16, 2008, 5:22 pm

Programs: AC.E, SPG.P, FPC.Plt, HH.G
I have only stayed at the Meridien Commodore, which was last year.

The hotel has undergone a renovation in recent years bringing it up to date with other Meridiens. I really enjoyed the staff and front desk there, both very accommodating. I was given a large suite during my 3 night stay. Great room which separates itself into two, bedroom on one end, living room on the other, all wood floor. There was a good-sized balcony to walk out onto overlooking the pool. Not much for the rest of the view, as it’s enclosed by apartments next to it. I didn’t eat at any of the three restaurants during my stay. The hotel does have a gym, but also allows guests to access the city “Lifestyle” gym nearby (which I read is a km away).

The Commodore is located in the Hamra district. The area is fine and I personally enjoyed it. It’s an older part of town that can get quite busy, serviced by the main streets like Hamra St. Compared to other areas in Beirut, it lies somewhere in the middle. It’s not as newly developed as the prime areas, Verdun included, but is not as neglected as some. Still plenty of hustle and bustle. Nearby streets are lined with small to mid-sized shops ranging from local products to even a few designer ones. Similar are the restaurants, mostly local foods from small take-away stands to some casual dining.

The reason I chose the Commodore was its location relative to the other areas as it’s almost in the middle. It seemed slightly better positioned than the 4P Verdun. The Raouche to the west, Corniche to the north, downtown and Gemmayze to the east, all are within 1-2miles. Walking is an option, but at times can be difficult due to the walks and smaller roads being in poor condition nearby the Commdore, even incomplete. (You know, like when you’re walking and suddenly for no apparent reason the sidewalk ends, and only then do you realize why the locals are all on the other side.)

Verdun is a well developed district of business, shopping and dining. It houses the big names, finer dining venues, prime residential and is not that far off from the other sites. So in terms of location, Verdun is much better, and likely my next choice in the future.
Old Feb 6, 2009, 12:36 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Beirut Four Points by Sheraton Verdun 2/2009 report

Preface: I have always wanted to visit Beirut. I would say it is on my "A" list but everytime in the past the news was just not right. I was also able to find an award using DL points with AF and MEA in C.

Rate: My rate is $120 plus. It is a package which includes at least buffet breakfast and internet access. Some other items also. Good thing I brought a copy of the features as I was refused the internet access. See cost below.

Transportation: I am taking no chances so with lots of work I arranged for pick-up and drop-off at BEY. The rate was $25. The website for the company lists lower prices but I am not going to argue. I arranged for a English speaking driver with a Hyundai for a 10 hour tour. That was $150. BTW. The name is- Taxi Premiere.

Parking: n/a

Check-in: This was pretty smooth other than what was noted. I was already upgraded to a junior suite with a sea view. I can not see anything at this time but I can see flashing runway lights out there.

Perks: As noted. I also picked the 250 points. When I arrived into the room I had four sets of items- veggies, fruits, nuts and cookies. Some of these I think are part of my package.

Lounge: None here but the do have a meeting room called Club below.

Room: You enter onto marble. The bathroom is to the right. You then move onto wood floors. You have a glass block between the bathroom followed by two comfy chairs with a table. You then come upon a king bed. You have two sets of pretty big windows with that view. You have a sofa with a coffee table. Coming around you have a tube tv with lots of channels also movie channels. Watching National Treasure 2 now. Then your good size desk. You have a luggage set-up area with closets. The room has a frig and coffee making facilities.

Bathroom: The bathroom is floor and wall marble. Single basin sink. Tub with shower combo. Half glass door. Toilet and bidet. Cheapy Four Points amenities.

Internet: This is wired. It would be $23 USD per 24 hour period.

SIM card: If you exit the Hotel and make three hard rights walking up you will see the Holiday Inn / Dunes shopping center. One floor down there is a kiosk called Class. I bought a SIM card there. The rates on AT&T and Mobal are crazy from here. The card I got was $52 USD called mtc touch. It includes $47 USD credit toward calls which I was told would get you 100 local minutes and 50 minutes to the US. That should be enough for me. Use the + sign along with country code and number to dial out. *220# send for remaining balance. Expires 1 month after start of use.

Gym: Small and on top floor.

Spa: think not

Eating venues: Will advise tomorrow.

Local markets: Close to Verdun.

Local area: Lots of things around.

Negatives: The room is a little dirty and the slippers in the closet were open looking used. But pretty clean. Meets my expectations. I hate the total drama on internet which it has been.

Closing: Would stay again. Regards from BEY. Will let you know how my tour goes.
Old Feb 6, 2009, 12:59 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
I should say this-

This is a very proud country and people. Even only being on MEA and in the city for only a couple hours have met friendly people. The gentleman next to me on MEA wrote down the names of the best places to eat and bars in town locals love. I will find the list and put here tomorrow. Everyone including my driver/guide I met tonight wants to help even with me only speaking English. I have heard from more than one person that THIS IS the number one city in the world to visit in 2009 per the New York Times. Google that. I hope peace reins in this land so others will have a chance to see it. Tomorrow I want to see Beirut National Musuem, Pigeon Rocks, Beiteddine Palace, Chouf Cedar Reserve, Baalbek, Faraya Mzaar and Byblos. If my driver can pull that off he is gonna get once nice tip.

Places-

961 Beer- microbrewery and foof
Centrale Bar & Restaurant
Pacifico- real Mexican food and great drinks
Kabobji- Lebanese food
Relais de L'Endrecole- steak and fries

Please excuse if not spelled correctly.

Last edited by RTWSTARALLIANCE; Feb 6, 2009 at 7:34 pm
Old Feb 7, 2009, 6:42 am

Thanks for the review. I'd love to go Beirut as well.

I tried to get a visa once when I was Syria but it wasn't an option.
Old Feb 7, 2009, 6:47 am

Great day.

I just finished a day of good sites. My expectations have been met but it is obvious I must return to see everything on my list. Today I went to- Nahr Al-Kalb, Upper and Lower Jeita Grottos (amazing), Faraya Mzaar, Harissa and Byblos before returning into town. In town I saw old center and Pigeon Rocks. A great day. If you want the name of my guide who was great send me a PM.

Also. The guide took me to a local street food spot called BarBar. It is on Spear Street. I had great chicken and beef wraps. Have to be tried.

In closing you have to love this country. It really is special. The historic aspects are here but when you come into the downtown Beirut area you have to wonder why this country has to be embroiled in conflict. I will return and I hope others also have to opportunity. Regards from Beirut.
Old Feb 7, 2009, 3:58 pm

Closing items.

As stated my rate included the breakfast buffet. They had local items which were explained to me by the waiters. I was able to order eggs cooked to order and breakfast meat. Not charged extra. Also. A newspaper is not automatic but the waiter got me one from the front desk.

This evening before I left a small dessert tray was brought to the room. The power went off several times this evening. Called down and they said this was Beirut. But when I looked around the power was on in town. The maid did not leave any wash clothes so it took three calls from them.

The website shows a nice pool on the rooftop. That picture must have been in its' best days. There is nolonger a bar up there. I got some nice pictures but would not get into the pool. The gym was ok but small.

When I departed my cc slip was in dollars. Regards from BEY.
Old Feb 8, 2009, 12:21 am
BA

Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
I have heard from more than one person that THIS IS the number one city in the world to visit in 2009 per the New York Times. Google that.
That's correct:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...TINATIONS.html

Originally Posted by camsean
I tried to get a visa once when I was Syria but it wasn't an option.
What passport do you have? Many nationalities are able to get a free 1 month visa upon arrival in the airport or at one of the four border crossings with Syria.

The guide took me to a local street food spot called BarBar. It is on Spear Street. I had great chicken and beef wraps. Have to be tried.
I'm glad he took you to BarBar, certainly one of the best if not the best quick food spots in Beirut! Mmmm...
Old Feb 8, 2009, 4:00 am

Programs: ME, EK, LH, IC
Sorry I missed you this time around but it seems you'll be back soon . Looking forward to your next visit. And "foof" was just a typo. I think the word is "food". Indeed, 961 is a nice place to hang out and have a pint (or 2 or 3) of fine local beer. Mmmmm...
Old Feb 8, 2009, 7:07 pm

Thanks for the corrections. Back home. No SPG points here.

I am a US citizen and carry a US passport. No charge for visa upon arrival. Before I left my passport got looked at hard a few times by different officials. I will be back and it sounds like I will be bringing some friends with me. A beautiful country. The NYT is correct.

? Can a US citizen visit Libya and Syria? My driver told me it takes another hour at the border with Syria? Just curious.

Also. Have no doubts about flying MEA into BEY. They were great. No EK or SQ but with what they have make it work. I had a nice A330 with lie flat seats. Aka not fully flat. The Cedars Lounge at BEY was huge.

BEYflyer. See you soon. Remember all to FT PM me if you are looking for the name of a driver/guide.
Old Feb 9, 2009, 1:03 pm
BA

? Can a US citizen visit Libya and Syria? My driver told me it takes another hour at the border with Syria? Just curious.
Yes, but you need to get the visas in advance, they don't offer it on arrival. In the case of Libya, you have to get the passport details page translated in Arabic and notarized.

Also. Have no doubts about flying MEA into BEY. They were great. No EK or SQ but with what they have make it work. I had a nice A330 with lie flat seats. Aka not fully flat. The Cedars Lounge at BEY was huge.
Did you fly on one of the new A330s (they have two at the moment, one delivered just a few days ago)?
Old Feb 10, 2009, 12:06 pm

For Syria, you can 'supposedly' get the visa at the border (per the Thorn tree on lonely planet's website) - however, this may entail a wait of 6 or more hours while the border agents communicate with Damascus.

When we traveled there last year we got the visas (multiple entry) ahead of time from the embassy in DC - no issues whatsoever. Crossing the border from Tartous into Lebanon was easy - no one there - took about 10-15 minutes to get the paperwork filled out and visas issued. Crossing back into Syria (headed for Damascus) was even easier since this border crossing gets a lot of traffic.

For Libya, you will need to get the visa ahead of time.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 12:56 pm

Thank you for the visa info.. Will keep it in mind.

The plane I went on could not have been delivered within the last few days. It felt worn. But given the looks of the passengers it must have been something fairly new. Maybe 1 of the 2. I was shocked to see those seats. And frankly were others.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 8:10 pm
BA

The plane I went on could not have been delivered within the last few days. It felt worn. But given the looks of the passengers it must have been something fairly new. Maybe 1 of the 2. I was shocked to see those seats. And frankly were others.
Did the A330 have the newer livery with red stripes going across the fuselage and tail? If so, then you flew on one of their new aircraft, probably the one delivered last June.

MEA's original three A330s from 2003 which are leased from ILFC are going on to Gulf Air.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.