Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Four Points at LAX Los Angeles Airport [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Four Points at LAX Los Angeles Airport [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2015, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
I disagree. Since Phil left the 4P has gone sharply downhill in terms of something they can easily address: service. Things like litter in the parking lot, forgetting special requests, miscommunication from bell staff, zero pushback from the shuttle's company's declining service are just a few examples. Oh, and no cookies 4 of my last 5 stays leaves a bad (or lack of) taste in my mouth.
Cookies?

I would've been happy not having to wait in front of an empty check-in desk last night for 10 minutes before someone finally checked me in. A security guard actually went and got the assistant manager to do it after he asked someone and the guy replied, "I'm on break" and walked away.

Litter in the parking lot? I couldn't care less about that stuff.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 4:57 pm

Good Stay Here on 9/26/15

We arrived late on a Saturday night on a flight from Europe and were pleased that the shuttle from Four Points (shared with Marriott Renaissance) arrived almost immediately.

Check-in was fairly efficient (at 11pm, with lots of people on the shuttle). We were assigned a king room (after booking a cheaper double) on a higher floor, and asked whether we would like late 4pm checkout. This was even though I am now just a regular SPG member, having relinquished my Amex card (and the Preferred Plus status) earlier this year.

The next morning we opted against having breakfast at the hotel to avoid possible shuttle delays, and instead headed right for our Southwest Flight at Terminal 1. The food options there are terrible and it seems little progress has been made on the construction underway since our last visit in November 2015. By comparison, the Four Points is paradise!

Completely happy with the Four Points in every way. AAA rate was $107.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 10:31 am

Programs: AA, Hilton
Staying 4Pts LAX this week.

I made the mistake of renting Budget the first night there.
Does SPG really charge $21 a day? And how is it enforced? Since I am staying 2 nights; I just called to see if they could waive a night, was told no...

Also do the shuttles run pretty regularly to 4pts LAX?
Old Jan 31, 2016, 8:54 am

Shuttles do run regularly from the airport.

Originally Posted by the phoenix
Staying 4Pts LAX this week.

Does SPG really charge $21 a day? And how is it enforced? Since I am staying 2 nights; I just called to see if they could waive a night, was told no...

Also do the shuttles run pretty regularly to 4pts LAX?
Old Jan 31, 2016, 8:58 am

I stay a lot in SPG hotels for 5 nights at a time. In general with SPG; more often than not, I do not get super-generous upgrades - probably because they don't want to tie up the inventory on me.

The Four Points LAX defies this trend for me. They have twice now upgraded me on 5 night stays to the largest room they have - a junior suite.

Paying for parking sucks at the 4P, but it is LA - and nothing is free for parking unless you go further inland it seems.

I wanted to give them a shout out for the upgrades.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by factory81
Shuttles do run regularly from the airport.
Every 30-40 mins. While at LAX I regularly see all the other shuttles go by at least 2-3 times before a Four Points/Renaissance one comes.

I wonder if it's the Destination Shuttle or Four Points people who are being cheap by running the shuttles less than the others?

Either way, it's a nick against the Four Points. Apparently the Sheraton was fed up with the LAX program and returned to it's own (which are reliable) and Phil has engaged the LAX program to make sure the Westin runs often.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 11:10 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Titanium & LTP, NEXUS
Originally Posted by the phoenix
In the summer, we had good success renting a car from the budget across the street and parking it at the budget overnight while staying at the 4P. Was able to take it out each morning showing the rental agreement. YMMV
Old Jan 21, 2017, 7:23 pm
S.R

Programs: EK Platinum, AA EXP, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Is the 24 hour stay benefit still around? ie check in at 11pm, have the room till 11pm the next day?
Old Jan 24, 2017, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by S.R
Is the 24 hour stay benefit still around? ie check in at 11pm, have the room till 11pm the next day?
I suggest calling the hotel to confirm. They have flights crews coming and going all the time so they are used to odd check-in/out times outside of the Your24 benefit.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 11:06 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
Every 30-40 mins. While at LAX I regularly see all the other shuttles go by at least 2-3 times before a Four Points/Renaissance one comes.

I wonder if it's the Destination Shuttle or Four Points people who are being cheap by running the shuttles less than the others?

Either way, it's a nick against the Four Points. Apparently the Sheraton was fed up with the LAX program and returned to it's own (which are reliable) and Phil has engaged the LAX program to make sure the Westin runs often.
Had trouble with the shuttle on my last stay there-it drove right by without stopping, though there were many other hotel shuttles. Grabbed a taxi and got there right behind the shuttle, saw it didn't have many people on it so that wasn't the issue. Gave the FD agent my taxi receipt and he refunded it, apologizing about the shuttle, which he said they have been having problems with. Prefer the Westin but had a nice BRG for the 4 Pts though at checkout they had the old rate and the 2000 points required a phone call.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by rbAA
Had trouble with the shuttle on my last stay there-it drove right by without stopping, though there were many other hotel shuttles. Grabbed a taxi and got there right behind the shuttle, saw it didn't have many people on it so that wasn't the issue. Gave the FD agent my taxi receipt and he refunded it, apologizing about the shuttle, which he said they have been having problems with. Prefer the Westin but had a nice BRG for the 4 Pts though at checkout they had the old rate and the 2000 points required a phone call.
Was the shuttle empty after the hotel stop? I see many airport shuttles are shared with several hotels and not always of the same chain. Although it sounds good to be the last pickup point on a loop, it may lead to being left behind should the shuttle fill up or be running late. A trick I've used from time to time is to make my way to the starting point of their loop and be one of the first to board. But sounds like you found a good solution and an astute FDC.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 3:22 pm

Will be there this Sun. I plan to drive to the hotel, check in, return car to Avis(cheaper rate than budget) than walk 0.3 mile back to hotel.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 6:08 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Was the shuttle empty after the hotel stop? I see many airport shuttles are shared with several hotels and not always of the same chain. Although it sounds good to be the last pickup point on a loop, it may lead to being left behind should the shuttle fill up or be running late. A trick I've used from time to time is to make my way to the starting point of their loop and be one of the first to board. But sounds like you found a good solution and an astute FDC.
Their shuttle is exclusive so yes, empty at dropoff. 3 or 4 people were on it, so no where near full. He just didn't want to stop as there were many other shuttles in the lane.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by ddjen11
Will be there this Sun. I plan to drive to the hotel, check in, return car to Avis(cheaper rate than budget) than walk 0.3 mile back to hotel.
I usually rent from Dollar and get a nice, longer, walk in after breakfast to pick up the car and get out of LA.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 8:10 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Had an one night stay this past weekend. Chose this over other SPG properties due to low corporate-negotiated rate. This was a quick, overnight stay with a flight out of LAX next day.

Parking is now $29 for self-park.

Check-in: There is a dedicated line for SPG Platinum/Gold, and a relatively long line for the regular check-in with only 1 check-in agent for each line. Eventually, a second person came out to help out the regular line.

Check-in agent was perfunctory. Nothing out of ordinary, but nothing extraordinary. Gone through the usual list of questions, amenity choices. Was upgraded to a suite as a Platinum member.

Room: The suite was refurbished since my last stay. The layout, however, is still weird to me. The work desk is close to the foot of the bed, staring at the wall with a small TV attached. There is a larger TV at the other end of the room, where the living room furniture are placed, presumably allows you to watch TV from the bed as well. The bathroom was standard sized with the usual amenities, although the shower gel container was empty. A standard extension cord, with 2 extra plugs (because one was used by the cordless phone), served as the sole source of power next to the bed.

Restaurant: The bar is still the best attraction, with a good number of beer on draft. It was relatively busy around midnight when I got my first (and only) beer to bring back to the room, with about 4-5 customers still here at the bar. However, at 1:15, when I went back downstairs, the bartender was already counting cash out of the drawer, with the entire bar completely shut down. The hotel website advertises opening hours until 2am. There was no apologies from the bartender. This is where things went south.

Service: After getting back to the room without a second beer, called the front desk to confirm actual hours of the restaurant/bar, since websites can be outdated. The front desk person said the bar is open until 1:30. When I asked her why it was closed at 1am, the lady replied that "they are entitled to close early if it is not busy". The request for MOD was met with resistance as well, claiming that the restaurant MOD was not available until the morning. Again, no apologies and full of excuses.

After reminding her that there is a general MOD on duty, I was finally transferred to him, and then had to relay the whole story all over again. He placed the blame to the restaurant manager, and offered free breakfast and starpoints, which I did not take out of principle, since the point was to provide feedback and compliance with expectations.

Overall: The incident seemed minor compared to other issues I have with other LAX SPG properties (exhibit 1: Properties stolen out of valet car at Sheraton LAX; exhibit 2: Checked into a completely unclean room, with unmade beds and pizza boxes, at Westin LAX, at midnight.). Nonetheless, the best part of the hotel is the cheaper rate and the beer selections. If part of that cannot be reliable, there are better properties nearby (Marriott, Renaissance, Aloft) to consider, given similar room rates.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.