Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Leaving a tip for housekeeping?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2005, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum & LFT Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Silver, Airmiles Onyx, Aeroplan, Avis President's Club
Leaving a tip for housekeeping?

How many here leave a tip to housekeeping when they stay in a hotel. Do you give one every day and how much is sufficient? Also does it matter if your at a 4Points or a St.Regis regarding the amount and whether or not you actually give one?
Old Nov 1, 2005, 1:16 pm

Programs: UA 1P; SPG Plat;
Originally Posted by NBSPGMEMBER
How many here leave a tip to housekeeping when they stay in a hotel. Do you give one every day and how much is sufficient? Also does it matter if your at a 4Points or a St.Regis regarding the amount and whether or not you actually give one?
I usually leave a tip of $5/day assuming the service is satisfactory. If I'm staying for a week or more, I might leave a little less per day on average. I don't think it matters which level hotel you are in.
Old Nov 1, 2005, 2:21 pm

I usually tip $2-3 per day, I thought it's kind of mandatory just like the restaurant tipping, but I might be wrong. I guess I learn the tipping rule from those travel guide. But actually I do wonder, is there a specific location you would leave the money?
Old Nov 1, 2005, 2:47 pm

i usually leave 2or 3 dollars on the pillow for the maids.
I leave it every day that way if i get a different maid on a certain day they dont get stiffed.

peace
Billyb
Old Nov 1, 2005, 2:48 pm

Programs: AMEX Plat, FPC Plat, SPG Gold, NW Silver
I don't believe it is manditory, but I for one feel that it should be done. I agree that @ $5/day is a fair range, more if you anticipate to be particularly messy. Think of it this way, I would bet that MOST do not tip, therefore, for a lousy $5 you may really be making someone's day (and getting extra Bliss products at the W!! LOL)
Old Nov 1, 2005, 2:50 pm

Programs: United 1k SPG Platinum Marriott lifetime Titanium
I will usually leave at least $5 a day for the housekeeper. Depending on how much of a mess I make I will sometime leave more.
Old Nov 1, 2005, 2:51 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
I do -- generally $2-$5 per day, depending upon the level of the hotel. More at a Lux Collection, Four Seasons, or other very high end, assuming the service is worthy.
Old Nov 1, 2005, 3:08 pm

Programs: Platinum AA, Gold Skymiles, *wood Platinum
I usually tip $5. $10 at larger resorts where I leave a bigger mess. I admit, I do ask for extra Bliss products A W hotels for Mrs. Highflyer often though...
Old Nov 1, 2005, 3:13 pm
Suspended

for the most part, i leave $2-$3 a day if the service is good.

if the service isn't good, i don't leave a tip. if housekeeping makes a big racket in the hallway in the early AM of weekends or if they ignore the Do Not Disturb sign, they get nada.

there is nothing i hate more than loud, chatty housekeepers on a sunday morning at 9:30 AM. sometimes i think they do it deliberately to get me up and out of the room. if i even sniff that, no tip is tendered.

but, the wonderful housekeepers i had in minny got nice tips.
Old Nov 1, 2005, 3:29 pm

Programs: Marriott plat, DL Diamond
A great practice that is now getting some press... Well deserved too. A recent guide suggests $2 per day per room left in an envelope that is clearly marked so there is no confusion of the intention.
Old Nov 1, 2005, 3:52 pm

Programs: NWA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, SPG, YX, AA
Daily housekeeping and maid service is included with your hotel rate.

Tipping should be the exception not the rule.

I would suggest a tip of $0 on a one night stay, on a stay of several nights I might leave $1-2 one of the nights
Old Nov 1, 2005, 5:05 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by DZMAN
A great practice that is now getting some press... Well deserved too. A recent guide suggests $2 per day per room left in an envelope that is clearly marked so there is no confusion of the intention.
And how would it be clearly marked? I've been told many times that the reason that the maids didn't follow instructions that I've left in the room is because they couldn't read English. And yes, the stays were in the U.S.
Old Nov 1, 2005, 5:16 pm
Suspended

one of my best friends was the housekeeping manager of a upscale hotel in NYC. he has 80 or so women working for him. they don't have a lot of money and don't earn a lot of money. he always tells me that they rely on tips for a better quality of life. i always feel like they would appreciate the fiver or $10 more than me. (but, they have to do a good job and let me sleep on sunday morning and respect the Do Not Disturb sign.)
Old Nov 1, 2005, 5:40 pm

Programs: POS, Delta Skymiles, IC Plat Amb., Hilton Gold, SPG gold
i have always left the tip on the last day... typically 2-3 dollars unless the room is huge like my junior suite at the le grand
Old Nov 1, 2005, 6:46 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
I tip every day - leave it by the pillow on the bed (no envelope). Usually $2 - $3 per day. I also tip the "turn down" person if I happen to be in the room when they come by. I tend to leave it every day as well since a) may not be the same person the entire stay and b) want to make sure that the person that is performing the service is rewarded.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.