Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The St. Regis Bora Bora Resort, French Polynesia [Master Thread]

Old May 30, 2019, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Astrophsx
Nights available on points:
  • Open up 12 months out
  • Availability seems to open up five weeks out.
Fees when booking on points:
  • City Tax of 400 XPF for each night

Transportation
PPT-BOB Flights:
  • Round trip $350-600 per person
  • Premium ticket includes more checked baggage allowance, priority boarding (sit on the left side for island views), and drink on board.
  • Air Tahiti is strict with their baggage allowance. Excess baggage is $1.5 per pound over the limit.
  • The airline is known to weigh hand luggage if it has wheels or is larger than your typical backpack or purse.
    • If you hand luggage is weighed and is over the limit it will need to be checked or items will need to be removed and relocated to your checked luggage.
    • Carry-on items do not seemed to be tagged so the gate agents do not know what bags have been checked
  • Checked bags are weighed at the BOB airport for your PPT return flight
    • They seem to not be as strict with charging for excess weight
  • Lap infants are charged 10%
  • Check the minimum connection time. If you arrive early Air Tahiti is likely to move you to an early flight based upon availability free of charge.
  • In March 2022 the domestic security was asking that passengers remove and leave any large bottles of liquid from their hand luggage. Sealed duty free alcohol seems to be the exception.
  • Tip: Sometimes it is cheaper to pack alcohol and pay the $1.5 per pound excess luggage fee than to purchase duty free at LAX.

Boat Transfer as of April 2022:
  • 14,000 XPF per person roundtrip
  • Children are free (not sure if there is an age cutoff)
It would be rather difficult to take the free boat from the BOB airport to Vaitape and then take the complimentary shuttle to St Regis. You would need to carry your luggage and time your flights accordingly. This would also need to be coordinated with the property.

Rooms
Renovated Rooms:
101 - Deluxe Over Water Villa w/ view may be renovated
504 - Reefside
Royal Estate (currently under renovations)

Platinum Benefits (2022)
  • Breakfast for two (property is firm on this and will not provide free breakfast for any additional adults in the room)
  • Welcome amenity in the room
    • Bottle of Champagne
    • Light snacks / fruit
  • 10% off products with the St. Regis Resort logo at the gift shop
  • 20% off Bloody Mary Cocktails at the Aparima Bar
  • 20% off Cocktail of the Day
  • St. Regis Sarong when you spend 15,000 xpf on products at the spa
  • Bonus points when purchasing massages at the spa

Daily Gifts
  • 8-night stay April 2022
    • Day 1 - stuffed animals for kids
    • Day 1 - Large tote bag with St. Regis Bora Bora logo w/ waterproof lining in room
    • Day 2 - Day 7 Tahitian Oils next to bed
    • Day 3 - Two fridge magnets

Item you can request for free
  • Pool floats can be loaned out from the main pool
  • Snorkel gear
  • Microwave can be put in room by room service free of charge
  • Extra small bottles of water can be requested by the housekeeper while they are cleaning
  • Coffee service to the room from the butler before 12pm
  • Two pressed items per person any time of the day
  • For infants
    • Cribs
    • Large bottles of water for formula
  • For Kids
    • Free meals at all restaurants
    • Free ice cream
    • Free room service (even items from the regular menu)

Things to bring
  • Water shoes can be helpful in the lagoon and on some excursions
  • Alcohol
    • Mini fridge is empty and can store champagne
    • Boxed wine is light weight and stores easily in fridge
    • If you don't plan to spend a few hours on the main island you can purchase fresh juices as mixers
    • Pre-mixed canned cocktails (like cutwater spirits) seemed to be popular at the main beach. Bring your own insulated tumbler and ask for a bucket of ice.
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 14, 2006, 9:09 am
Original Poster

... is now posted on SPG.com for the St. Regis Bora Bora. Of course this property is a Level 6++++. So I called the Plat desk and they told me that staying at this property will require 60,000 pts/night for an OWB with the 5th night free if you redeem 4 nights. (Makes the Nui look like a deal!!)

/mod

Pre 2006 reports can be found at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...er-thread.html

/mod

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Feb 25, 2010 at 9:17 am
Old Jan 14, 2006, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Any distinction between high and low season?

^ at least for offering OWB redemption here...
Old Jan 14, 2006, 12:43 pm

Hillside Rooms at Bora Bora Nui

Originally Posted by mperci
My wife and I spent most of December in Tahiti, going from one Sheraton to the other. The properties in Moorea and Bora Bora were excellent, but where the properties were great, the Platinum treatment was horrible. No welcome gifts (until I called the next day), no upgrades, basically it was as if I was not a member of the program.

We stayed in a OTW bungalow in Moorea, and specifically requested 7 bungalows (2 months in advance). I did not receive any of those bungalows, but after two nights we moved to my first choice.

In Bora Bora we stayed in a hillside bungalow. It's a long walk up there, but it was the best room I have ever stayed in. I was hoping for an upgrade at check-in, but they had no idea I was Platinum (even though the reservation was made over the Platinum line.)

We stayed at the Sheraton Tahiti a few days when we arrived, and four days before we left. Each stay I was upgraded to a very large suite and received the best service out of all three hotels. The downside is the main island wasn't nearly as nice as the others.

If I did it all again, I would have stayed at different hotels in Moorea and Bora Bora. I was really expecting to get my moneys worth, and ended being very disappointed.
mperci and gmc608 and anyone else familiar with the hillside rooms, please give some additional details. We are thinking of going later this year but want to know if we will be satisfied here with a hillside room, in case an upgrade doesn't come through, or if we would be better off staying at a less expensive resort in a beachside or overwater bungalow. Thanks!
Old Jan 14, 2006, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Hillside bungalows are nearly identical to the overwater bungalows except for location. The views would be incredible. Also definitely preferred over the beachfront bungalows in my opinion.

Until the new St. Regis opens in a few months (which certainly won't be cheaper) these are the largest and most luxurious rooms in French Polynesia.

Walk up to the rooms would be a trek but the resort will take you by golf cart whenever you wish.

Hard to tell whether you'd prefer a hillside room at this resort vs. an OWB at another property without knowing more of your preferences/tastes...
Old Jan 14, 2006, 11:44 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by gleff
Hillside bungalows are nearly identical to the overwater bungalows except for location. The views would be incredible. Also definitely preferred over the beachfront bungalows in my opinion.

Until the new St. Regis opens in a few months (which certainly won't be cheaper) these are the largest and most luxurious rooms in French Polynesia.

Walk up to the rooms would be a trek but the resort will take you by golf cart whenever you wish.

Hard to tell whether you'd prefer a hillside room at this resort vs. an OWB at another property without knowing more of your preferences/tastes...

Gleff...I am using 200,000 miles for an OWB at the Nui.....What are your thoughts on the point usage? Thanks!
Old Jan 15, 2006, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bran28
Gleff...I am using 200,000 miles for an OWB at the Nui.....What are your thoughts on the point usage? Thanks!
(1) If you're going to spend the points for the Nui, definitely spend the extra points for an OWB

(2) I can't criticize using points at the Nui, though some consider it poor return on a $/point basis, because I did it myself

(3) You may be interested in my trip report, How to Spend 670k Points on One Trip, Honeymoon trip report with photos (BOB/SYD)

(4) You might want to find out whether the airport transfer is still complimentary on awards and whether breakfast is still complimentary at the resort (it was when I was there, though they never told you this! also rumors that they were going to begin charging)

(5) Avoid meals at Iritai at the hotel, definitely make a booking for Villa Mahana on the main island

(6) Request a specific bungalow directly with the property, but don't worry if you don't get it. (My preference order would be 109, 108, 106, 105, 104.)

(7) Have a fabulous trip! There's no more beautiful place in the world. You'll have a great time!
Antonio8069 likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2006, 9:35 am
Suspended

Programs: AA-EXP (3.3MM), AAirpass, SQ-PPS Solitaire, DL-PM (.777MM), SPG-Plat, HH-D
Originally Posted by DullesFlyer
Has anyone stayed at this resort?

Any idea what currency "XPF" is?

Looks like a top notch place -- is it worth Category 6 points or whatever XPF 104,000.00 equates to in USD?

Personally Bora Bora Nui Resort it at best a $500/night hotel. (I would be a $300 bid max for that property) If you are able to spend $1000+/night i HIGHLY suggest Le Tahaa ( www.letahaa.com ). As far as FP goes Le Tahaa is the undisputed 800pd gorilla of luxury. Believe you me that its worth every cent. Alternatively you might want to wait for the new IC and FS however the plot of land in Raiatea le Tahaa sits its what makes it worth it. PS - go in style and take the chopper... killer ride.
Old Jan 15, 2006, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

At best a $500/night hotel?

It has its faults, but come on.

$500 per night somewhere else maybe, but look at your options elsewhere at the $500/night price point. This hotel is currently the best property on Bora Bora, though the new St. Regis should take care of that come April.

You can't get into Hotel Bora Bora's best rooms at $500/night, and that place was at its peak 20 years ago and now frankly does not belong in the Aman Resort chain.

Prices in French Polynesia are high. You get more hotel and better service at a $500 price point in most places places on the planet. But to say that Bora Bora Nui isn't a $500/night hotel ON BORA BORA is a bit of a stretch.
Old Jan 15, 2006, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by psyflyer
Personally Bora Bora Nui Resort it at best a $500/night hotel. (I would be a $300 bid max for that property) If you are able to spend $1000+/night i HIGHLY suggest Le Tahaa ( www.letahaa.com ). As far as FP goes Le Tahaa is the undisputed 800pd gorilla of luxury. Believe you me that its worth every cent. Alternatively you might want to wait for the new IC and FS however the plot of land in Raiatea le Tahaa sits its what makes it worth it. PS - go in style and take the chopper... killer ride.
I dont think anyone here is talking about actually spending the $500-$800 a night

Who runs le Tahaa? Can I redeem for points, if not, then they would be out.

Ken in Phx
Old Jan 15, 2006, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ken in Phx
Who runs le Tahaa? Can I redeem for points, if not, then they would be out.
Relais & Chateaux

No points, sorry.

And it's not actually clear to me that this is superior to the Nui in any case.
Old Jan 15, 2006, 6:27 pm

Programs: LH SEN, HH Dia
Originally Posted by gleff
Relais & Chateaux. No points, sorry.
From my recent French Polynesia research I seem to remember that it was part of the Pearl resorts group (the only of their resorts that is marketed as a Relais&Chateaux property). Still, no points.
Old Jan 15, 2006, 8:22 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, Starwood Gold
Gleff...

Thanks for the advice! Also I have read/heard the bungalows you mentioned get shade pretty quickly is that true? I knida like the sun! ;o)
Old Jan 15, 2006, 11:48 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Gleff's da man when it comes to BBN, but I've followed his lead and can echo what he says. It was worth the points to me!

I wouldn't worry about the shade. If you value your skin, you'll be in the shade plenty. And if I remember correctly, I had 108 and it was perfect! View of the sunset from the balcony, sun in the afternoon (I usually prefer shade in the afternoon).

Cheers
BF
Old Jan 16, 2006, 5:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bran28
Gleff...

Thanks for the advice! Also I have read/heard the bungalows you mentioned get shade pretty quickly is that true? I knida like the sun! ;o)
104, 105, and 106 won't be directly under the sun in the afternoon, but they do have direct views of Mt Otemanu and tons of privacy.

Personally I preferred to have the respite from the sun... I'd lay out on the beach but when I wanted a break from the sun I'd relax on the deck.

So I was happy with this.

108 will be darker than 109. 109 is considered the most desireable. But it also gets passing boat traffic. I think 106 is personally my ideal, I stayed in 105.
Old Jan 16, 2006, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by demiurg
From my recent French Polynesia research I seem to remember that it was part of the Pearl resorts group (the only of their resorts that is marketed as a Relais&Chateaux property). Still, no points.
That's correct.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.