Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Starwood hotels in Seoul Korea [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Starwood hotels in Seoul Korea [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2003, 11:39 am

*wood near Seoul (ICH) airport?

Has anyone tried the Westin at Souel? How far away to the ICN airport? Anyone tried the the 4P at Souel? is it good? Just stay overnight, do not want to be too far away from the airport

Thanks
Old May 2, 2003, 4:00 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
You've GOT to be far away from the airport. Because Incheon is in the middle of nowhere. But, it's only a bus ride away. There are buses that take you to every part of the city. My view is that The Westin is very centrally located, but if you don't intend to enjoy the city, The 4 Pts is usually cheaper. YOu'd have to contact them to find out which bus to take from INcheon.

Too bad you're just overnight. Seoul is a terrific city to explore.
Old May 2, 2003, 10:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K3MM, Marriot-Gold, HH-Gold, IHG-Pt, Amex-Pt, JPMorgan-Rsv
I stayed Westin Chosun last week.

The building itself was "historical" but very well maintained inside.
Staffs are friendly and very polite - as usual in Asian properties.
My only concern was the water pressure of shower, but it's not a big deal.
The location is just center of the city, walking distance to must-see areas.
It took 50 min. from ICN airport and about $11 by Korean Air limousine bus.

I think this is the best Starwood facility in Seoul.
Old Jun 4, 2003, 6:19 am

Programs: SPG Plat, lowly UA Silver
Planning a 1 night stay at either the Westin Chosun or Sheraton Walker Hill and was wondering what sort of upgrade I might expect as a Platinum? Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 8, 2003, 9:21 pm

Location: AC Million Miler & long time SE; StarwoodPlat for 10+ yrs & lifetime Gold; Hilton Honours Diamond; IC Ambassador; AMEX Plat;Avis Presidents Club; Airmiles GOLD; and just about everything else!
Programs: aeroplan & 25+year loyalty
Soeul, South Korea

Will be going there in a number of months and would like to stay at one of the 2 SPG properties, heck I am loyal, but the rates are very high in comparison to other hotels (eg $250US+++). What are these properties like? Are there any good ways to get better deals?
Old Dec 8, 2003, 10:29 pm

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
Not sure when you're going but the new W Walker Hill in Seoul will be opening in the May I believe.
Old Dec 8, 2003, 10:51 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
I've only been to the Westin CHosen. TOP of the line Hotel. They treat Plats VERY WELL. Put on Executive floor, with lounge priveleges. (breakfast, hors doevrs, drinks). Free use of the health club and Sauna. When I say "sauna", I don't mean a measly steam room, either. It is a true Korean sauna, fully equipped. You could spend all day in there. With the relaxation room, literally you could!

Yup, it's kind of pricey, but I've seen rates of 200,000 Korean Won lately. (I was there just a week ago). THat's under $200. From the SPG site.

It's a good property to use your points at, I think. They have been listed on Cash and Points. Great deal, though availability was nil, until I called and had them manually make the reservation. That worked out fine.

The location is fantastic, if you want to be in the city. Close to much. Subway ride to everything.

Never been to Walker Hill. Seems far from where I'd like to be.

Aloha
Old Dec 9, 2003, 6:10 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by 100,000miler:
Will be going there in a number of months and would like to stay at one of the 2 SPG properties, heck I am loyal, but the rates are very high in comparison to other hotels (eg $250US+++). What are these properties like? Are there any good ways to get better deals? </font>
Sometimes if you call the hotel directly you can get a special package rate. I did this over the summer at the Chosun and got rates as low as 150,000 won, saving 30,000 won off the SPG price. Plus these package deals often nab you additional ammenities. Got makeup packs for the lady twice and wine and chocolats two other times. Try calling the front desk to see if they can square you away.

[This message has been edited by Mileage Schemer (edited Dec 09, 2003).]
Old Dec 9, 2003, 7:46 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, Etihad Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
I have to second clublounger's recommendation of the Westin Chosun. This is really a first rate property in an excellent downtown location. As a Plat, I've always been upgraded and treated VERY well. There's even a lively Irish Pub downstairs that, because of its central location, attracts an eclectic mix of Korean business people, diplomatic staff and ex-pats. The name? O'Kim's.
Old Dec 9, 2003, 12:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, UA LT-Gold, SPG Plat, HH Dia, Hyatt Dia, MR Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Mileage Schemer:
Sometimes if you call the hotel directly you can get a special package rate. I did this over the summer at the Chosun and got rates as low as 150,000 won, saving 30,000 won off the SPG price. Plus these package deals often nab you additional ammenities. Got makeup packs for the lady twice and wine and chocolats two other times. Try calling the front desk to see if they can square you away.

[This message has been edited by Mileage Schemer (edited Dec 09, 2003).]
</font>
That's a really good price. I wonder if it is for locals, i.e. korean only. I did a call up to check on the rates while I was there, and the lowest I could get was 210,000 KRW. Went to an internet cafe, and bing-bang-boom, printed my confirmation slip at 180,000 KRW. As a SPG Gold then, I got what I thought was a really nice room with a PC and LCD monitor. Without a doubt, Westin Chosun is where I will stay on my next trip to Seoul, although I might have to send an email to you first to secure a good rate

Old Dec 10, 2003, 5:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'll pitch in too with good words for the Chosun. I actually was upgraded to the Exec floor as a Gold - amazing I know! Some of the Exec floor rooms are kitted out with desktop PC's and a broadband connection, something I found preferrable to daily visits to the business centre.

The hotel is also in a great location in the centre of town and the staff are uniformly excellent. The only bum note was the Chinese restaurant on the top floor - great view, terrible, awful pastiche Chinese food.
Old Dec 10, 2003, 9:47 am

I'm staying in the Chosun next week (plat).

My first trip to S. Korea, any recommendations on making use of my free time?
Old Dec 10, 2003, 12:06 pm
JAP

Location: Cork, Ireland. Aer Lingus (in the bin), BA Gold (woo hoo!), EBB Blue, HH Diamond, Starwood Plat, Hyatt Diamond
There was a great family-run italian restaurant just down from the Chosun (left out of the main door, down the small hill and about 100 yards down on the (2nd road) on the left hand side).
Had a fab meal there during the soccer world cup, with some v. friendly locals !! Huge Jugs of beer and superb pastas for very little ...

Also close-by is the underground markets - good for killing some time ...

Sorry I can't help more - spent most of our time enjoying the football then !!

By the way, don't spend too much time in the Irish bar at the hotel - the beer prices were extortionate !!

Oh, and the pool in the hotel was just fab ! Also a good view out onto the city from there.

John P.
Old Dec 11, 2003, 6:10 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by garethmorgan:
I'm staying in the Chosun next week (plat).

My first trip to S. Korea, any recommendations on making use of my free time?
</font>
Hmmm... I guess I would first ask what you have in mind. Nightlife? Touristy things?

Some ideas... If it's your first time in Korea most likely you would want to hit one of the palaces like Gyongbokgun. This is not too far from the hotel and is also not too far from Insadong, a touristy district with traditional tea houses and restaurants. Also take a look at the modern area of Kangnam="South of the River" (take a stop by the COEX mall). There's a pretty sizable discount electronics market in Yongsan (make sure you bargain on everything). Take a trip to the JSA and take a look at the divided border firsthand (I'm sure the hotel can help you arrange this if you have the time). There's also a Korean War memorial near Samgakji.

As for nightlife, the bars at the Hyatt hotel are pretty popular with the Expat crowd as well as large groups of local females. Kangnam and Sinchon are younger areas catering to those in their late teens to low twenties. Abgujongdong is where you will find some more sheeshy bars like "S bar" (NYX-style bar) and "Once in a Blue Moon" (a jazz bar). Also, you can check out a night market area like Dongdaemun, whever lots of younger Koreans go to buy clothes. You can also check out Itaewon if you're into the hip hop scene and/or some seedier establishments.

Just some ideas... hope you find some useful.

Also, while at the Westin do check out the upper floor executive lounge. I want to say it's on either the 14 or 17th floor.. been there so many times but I just can't think of it right now. There's two... I'm referring to the one NOT on the 9th floor. The staff is outstanding.. please do say hi to Mr. Son, an invaluable asset to this hotel.

[This message has been edited by Mileage Schemer (edited Dec 11, 2003).]
Old Dec 11, 2003, 8:14 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Mileage Schemer:
Also, while at the Westin do check out the upper floor executive lounge. I want to say it's on either the 14 or 17th floor.. been there so many times but I just can't think of it right now. There's two... I'm referring to the one NOT on the 9th floor. The staff is outstanding.. please do say hi to Mr. Son, an invaluable asset to this hotel.
[This message has been edited by Mileage Schemer (edited Dec 11, 2003).]
</font>
FYI - yes, there are two lounges. One on the 9th floor and one on the 17th. The 17th is smoking and the 9th is non-smoking. YOur choice. Staff on 9th was flawless as well. If you're booked on the executive floor you can even check in at the desk on either of these floors. If you're upgraded, you can check out there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.