Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Starwood Vienna: which one? [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Starwood Vienna: which one? [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2001, 8:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
Arrow Starwood Vienna: which one? [Master Thread]

I'm planning a long weekend trip at the end of August to Vienna, and as a Platinum SPG I was trying to decide between the two. (Yes, I did check the search function--and no, there didn't seem to be anything specific about these two properties). Any thoughts on the hotels or treatment/upgrades experienced would be greatly appreciated

Thanks!
Old May 21, 2001, 8:35 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
The Bristol. I am also SPG P. Used Starwood
SPG 50% award for 1,500 points for rate.
When I checked room was ok. Noted status to
front desk manager and given better room on
higher floor with great view of Vienna State
Opera House. The Hotel has a nice Club
lounge with internet access. I don't
remember if they have a fee. Hotel is very
close for walking, shopping and dining.
Never took a cab except for to/from airport.
Understand Imperial is a bit farther from
this area and larger. The Bristol had a nice
comfortable home feeling. Newly renovated.
Old May 21, 2001, 8:48 am

I've never stayed at the Bristol, but I stayed at the Imperial once on a Free Friday award. I can tell you that, as a GOLD, they upgraded me to what was about the largest corner room suite I've ever stayed in. The service was wonderful from the moment I walked in the door, and the room was astounding!
Old May 21, 2001, 9:00 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

These are the choices one really loves to make!

Two VERY fine properties!

Both are smallish and VERY "classy" as well as being included in the Amex FHR program and you can get a free afternoon tea as such!

I'd say it's a location thing primarily- yet they are not far from each other! The Bristol was just remodeled last year or the year before and with about 150 rooms or so is about twice the size of the Imperial, which I believe still serves as a kind of official residence for visiting dignitaries/officials!

Ever so very slight nod perhaps to the Bristol!

Enjoy!

Old May 21, 2001, 9:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
Thanks Doc for the info on the properties being part of the Amex Platinum. I just signed up for that card and had not seen the listing of hotels they are affiliated with. I just assumed that it would not be part of any of the 'chains', so didn't even think about that perk! I was just interested in which property treated Platinums better . Checking both web sites, and other travel sites, it looks like there are lots of available rooms at a wide variety of rates (many discounted), so I was hoping to book a less expensive rate and get upgraded.
Old May 21, 2001, 11:55 pm

Programs: AGR Select +
I have stayed at both hotels. My preference is the Bristol. It is located nearer the shopping area and sites. The Bristol room was spacious and very comfortable, plus the service was outstanding. Good Luck!

Old Apr 20, 2004, 6:02 am

A short up-date

I just returned from a long weekend in Vienna where I stayed a night at both hotels. As a Gold I didn't receive any upgrades.

The first night was at the Bristol. The hotel is right next to the subway station Opera (Karlsplatz). Checkin was fairly efficient but cool. No acknowledgement of status.
The Deluxe room I had booked (#365 or maybe #367) was nicely appointed with two joined beds, a sitting area, a walk-in-wardrobe, and a very spacious bathroom. There were two items each of the bathroom amenities. Additional items could be requested via the service line and were delivered within minutes.
The room had huge windows with electrical blinds. Wonderful view of the opera but also a bit noisy.
About an hour after checkin, a bottle of water and a small fruitplate was brought. Nice, but the orange had mould on it.
Turndown service with a nice chocolate.
Checkout was fast. I also liked that they asked before adding the Unicef-dollar to the bill.
Be aware though, if you are young and are wearing jeans, somebody might run after you and demand to see your key! (Didn't notice them doing that with anybody else.)

Walked about 150m down the street to the Imperial. Very friendly reception but also now acknowledgement of status. Was walked to my room # 325.
I had booked a Junior Suite which is supposedly 55 sqm. But the room was definitely not larger than the Deluxe at the Bristol which is supposed to be 40 sqm.
Nicely appointed room with a large chandelier a huge bed, and a sitting area with a chaise longue. A welcoming letter from the manager and a fruit plate was already in the room.
The bathroom was tiny, as was the walk-in-wardrobe.
No view from the room but very quiet. The windows also had electrical blinds.
Requested some additional bathroom aminites which took quite a while to arrive.
Turndownservice with a small bottle of water and a chocolate (I would have preferred a piece of Imperial torte ).

Hope that helps.
Old Apr 20, 2004, 7:47 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
I just booked the Bristol for a upcoming stay. A great location but yes a bit noisey. That is ok since you are in the middle of everything. Life is good.
Old Apr 20, 2004, 8:44 am

Programs: UA 1MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
I have stayed at the Bristol, but not the Imperial. The Bristol is very nice except that it is hostile to non-smokers. Only 10% (according to the general manager) of the rooms are non-smoking and they are the smallest, dingiest, and practically in the basement.
Old Apr 20, 2004, 8:54 am

Actually both of my rooms were non-smoking. One of them was even on a non-smoking floor (Bristol, I think), which did surprise me quite a bit though.
Old Apr 20, 2004, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Can't recall if I was Plat or Gold last time I stayed at the Imperia, but even on an award was treated royally with small suite, albeit overlooking interior courtyard. Room had set up of fruit and water, letter of welcome from the manager, but also a box of nine small bite size Imperial Tortes! Yummm. Bought a couple of larger tortes before catching my flight home... Very civilized stay, all in all.
Old Apr 20, 2004, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by Shareholder
Can't recall if I was Plat or Gold last time I stayed at the Imperia, but even on an award was treated royally with small suite, albeit overlooking interior courtyard. Room had set up of fruit and water, letter of welcome from the manager, but also a box of nine small bite size Imperial Tortes! Yummm. Bought a couple of larger tortes before catching my flight home... Very civilized stay, all in all.
I've also received VERY GOOD treatment at the Imperial, even as Gold. Received nice upgrades...once to one of the largest suites I've ever stayed in at a hotel, and once to a very nice deluxe room with a large entry way and bathroom. Both very nice, and both with wonderful fruit baskets, Imperial Torte samples, and wine or water bottles. Never stayed at the Bristol, but I can tell you from my experiences at the Imperial, I've never had a reason to leave it. The location is only a couple blocks from the Bristol, so it's not exactly "out of the way". Central enough to be close to the action, but far away from the action to be a bit quieter.
Old Apr 20, 2004, 10:08 pm

Programs: AA MM, Starwood LTG
Our time @ the Bristol

My wife & I spent 2 nights on the free Fri/Sat in 2002. Location was great! - once we found it. Driving in Vienna was a bit of an experiece. Anyways, was Plat at the time and they put us in a small room, but had a great whirlpool tub with a skylight we could open over the tub. Add the bottle of champange we had a memorable night. Right off the closed pedestrian mall allowed us to shop and enjoy the people watching. A visit to the Treasury is well worth the time. A local walk to that & the Lippizaner's is well worth the time.

^
Old Apr 22, 2004, 2:24 am

Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
The Bristol. I am also SPG P. Used Starwood
SPG 50% award for 1,500 points for rate.
The Hotel has a nice Club
lounge with internet access. I don't
remember if they have a fee. .
Is the club lounge still open at the Bristol ??
Old Apr 22, 2004, 4:24 am

Programs: BD / BA / AF
I've only stayed at the Imperial, which is a beautiful property. We received first-class treatment the entire time we were there.

If you enjoy fine dining, it's definitely worth checking out the restaurant at the Bristol. The "Korso bei der Oper" restaurant is renowned as one of Vienna's finest, serving first-class Austria cuisine. We had the tasting menu, and the food, wine, and service are some of the best I've ever received. It really was the definitive top-tier restaurant experience, and reasonable (under €100 each) for the level of service.

I give it: :-: :-: :-: :-: :-:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.