Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Royal Orchid Sheraton - Bangkok, Thailand 2007 onward [Master Thread]

Old Feb 5, 2014, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Print Wikipost

Royal Orchid Sheraton - Bangkok, Thailand 2007 onward [Master Thread]

Old Jan 4, 2007, 11:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN 2011:: ANA::UA::Hertz Gold::Sixt Plat::SPG Plat::
Arrow Royal Orchid Sheraton - Bangkok, Thailand 2007 onward [Master Thread]

Originally Posted by Eagle_Eye
I don't think so, more important will be the traffic time. I used several types of taxi (green or red one) to the old airport from the Westin and paid always ~ 220 -270 Baht.
Let's see tomorrow from the new airport to the Westin.
it's unbevielable for myself, it was my cheapest trip forever: 190 baht (without tip and no tolls) from the airport to the westin. ^ with a clean taxi and a nice driver.
i made it as at the old airport: moved to the 4th floor and catched a arriving taxi on the departing level, asked to use the meter ~ no problem.

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Sep 30, 2009 at 5:35 pm Reason: Earlier posts are at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-preferred-guest/1000605-royal-orchid-sheraton-bangkok-thailand-2
Old Apr 26, 2007, 11:19 am

My flight to Bangkok arrives shortly after midnight. I'll be staying at the Royal Orchid Sheraton. Is it a problem getting a taxi that's willing to use a meter at that hour, or should I reserve a car from the hotel? My flight leaves at 7:30 am several days later. Same question -- with early morning departures is it difficult to find a taxi willing to use the meter?
Old Apr 26, 2007, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Take a taxi. The charge will be about THB 360 - 400 incl. tolls (65 baht)
Old Apr 26, 2007, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by Rambuster
Take a taxi. The charge will be about THB 360 - 400 incl. tolls (65 baht)
Or, if the driver thinks you're a clueless farang, THB 500, as happened to me this month. This was from the Royal Orchid Sheraton. (Yes, I was clueless but didn't feel like arguing over USD ~3.)
Old Apr 26, 2007, 12:36 pm

Programs: Life SPG Plat, 7X NH DIA
Originally Posted by greg999
My flight to Bangkok arrives shortly after midnight. I'll be staying at the Royal Orchid Sheraton. Is it a problem getting a taxi that's willing to use a meter at that hour, or should I reserve a car from the hotel? My flight leaves at 7:30 am several days later. Same question -- with early morning departures is it difficult to find a taxi willing to use the meter?
The official AOT limo service with desks inside the baggage claim is going to be you best compromise on this if you wan't to go there. I think it's 900 THB oneway. THEY NOW TAKE CREDIT CARDS (Visa and maybe MC but no Amex) right there in baggage claim. It posted as $29 on my CC. I actually went to the counter and arranged my car during the time I was waiting for my luggage. Brand new Camary of course.

This is not the "budget" way my any means but it is less than the Sheraton Car. Depending on your situation this may be a good choice for you.

Good Luck.
rt23456p likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2007, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by greg999
From the airport, on the meter no problem. From the ROS back to the airport in February I found taxis consistently claiming they couldn't do this because of tolls and airport fees. So rather than ~350 Baht it was 500. I won't argue too vehemently for $5.
Old Apr 28, 2007, 1:43 pm

Programs: UA - 1K 1MM; Hyatt - Explorist; Marriott - Lifetime Titanium
Used the RO limo service last July for my honeymoon. The prices listed so far have been accurate. It was nice, little luxury - C class Benz picks you up, get the bottled water, etc. That being said, we just took the standard taxi for the return trip to the airport.

I think it really just depends on if you want to add some frills to your trip. Either way, you'll get there quickly and dependably.
rt23456p likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2007, 3:16 pm

Any recent experience at Royal Orchid Sheraton, Bangkok?

Does anyone have any recent experience staying at Royal Orchid Sheraton, Bangkok? How is ROS compared with Sheraton Grande Sukumvit. I really like ROS for it river location (am I right here?) and for it *word redemption value (cat. 2 ) though it looks quite dated. Sheraton Grande, on the other hand, looks first-class (ranked #4 in BKK on Trip Advisor). I will be staying in BKK from Dec 27 to Jan 1 with my 15 yo son.

Other question: what place would you recommend to be on New Year Eve in BKK?

Last edited by cdiver; Jun 20, 2007 at 4:45 pm
Old Jun 21, 2007, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by cdiver
what place would you recommend to be on New Year Eve in BKK?
Being on the River for New Years Eve is great. There is a spectacular fireworks show over the river at midnight. The Mandarin Oriental throws a great party, and I believe the ROS does one as well.
Old Jun 21, 2007, 11:38 am
SST

On my visit to the ROS in February it was the same fairly-high standard hotel it was 18 months ago; clean, neat, good rooms and superior recognition for Platinum level SPG members. Got a suite upgrade (there are lots of suites). Lounge access. Good breakfast.

The location is good for sightseeing, using the riverboats as the first step.

I've stayed three times at the SGS too. It's opulent, they treat you pretty well, and if you get a suite upgrade it can be over-the-top. However, you are in a whole different place: a business hotel, on the main traffic artery through jam-packed Bangkok, instead of in an out-of-the way location near the river. There's no lounge at the SGS. The jazz bar there is FAR superior to the entertainment at the ROS, but the pools at the ROS are (imho) superior to the small rooftop pool at the SGS.

Given the cheap points-redemption, I opted for the ROS last trip, since it was a busy time in Bangkok and both had room rates exceeding $200. But pick either--- you can't go wrong. You just have to decide your flavor.
Old Jun 21, 2007, 3:33 pm

Programs: SQ TPP, BA Gold, Hyatt Life Glob, SPG/Marriott Life Plat,
We just did 2 nights at each at the beginning of the month as I am a fan of both Hotels.

If you are there from 27 Dec to Jan 1 then I would recommend splitting the stays between both properties like we did, thus getting the opportunity to enjoy both.

For NYE itself I would definitely go for the ROS as a number of the big Hotels on the river (Peninsula, Shangri-La & Oriental) put on excellent firework displays as mentioned by cranrob.

We got a suite at both properties without any problem.
Old Jun 22, 2007, 12:12 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
I would agree with staying at each hotel while you are in Bangkok. I love them both and Just came back from a month in Thailand. The locations are very different although you can get to both easily on the skytrain. While at the ROS go over to the Hilton and goto the top for a look at the view from the top, amazing! I stayed a the ROS the year it opened in the early 80's and it was the highest building around. Not the case anymore. Prepse to be amazed and enjoy the buffets at all the hotels.
Old Jun 22, 2007, 1:03 am

Originally Posted by SST
There's no lounge at the SGS. The jazz bar there is FAR superior to the entertainment at the ROS.
The jazz bar is the lounge. If you stay in a Grande Deluxe room, you can enjoy free drinks from 6-8pm in the Library (jazz bar), Sala (poolside) or Versu (nightclub on the ground floor). Jazz Bar is great!

I prefer the SGS for its easy skytrain access (skybridge connected to Asoke BTS). The big, brown river doesn't hold that much of an attraction for me, but I guess if I'd never been there or hadn't experienced the river, I'd give the ROS a try.
Old Jun 22, 2007, 8:59 am

Location: somewhere Cl. III / III+, with green waves and friendly holes
Programs: *wood Platinum, HH Gold, OneWorld Emerald, QF GOLD, AP Premium, Mabuhay Elite, bunch o others...
I agree, do both

I'd do both...
the SGS is better for access to Skytrain, and everything that will connect you with.
I was last at ROS about 6 months back, and it seemed to me that the 'local' area, just walking aroudn the near blocks, it has gone quiet, some businesses closed, etc...
ROS might be a good spot to watch fireworks over the river on NYE
Old Jun 22, 2007, 6:25 pm

Programs: AA Plat for Life, Starwood Platinum, HH Gold
The ROS does have it's own, very nice, motor launch, which leaves the ROS for the BTS Taksin station every 30 minutes, up to 10pm. The trip is about 5 minutes. On the return the attendant serves complimentary cold water - a nice touch.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.