Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Waikiki, Honolulu, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 27, 2018, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: littlevoices
Hotel email: [email protected]

Latest Email: [email protected]

As of April 2024:
Resort fee inclusions / hotel details: https://ipoolside-media.s3.amazonaws...tivities_2.pdf

Elite Breakfast offering: https://www.kaimarketwaikiki.com/our-menus (look for the elite benefits)

Parking: Self-Parking $55.00 per night / Valet $65.00 per night

Print Wikipost

Sheraton Waikiki, Honolulu, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2014, 10:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium
Originally Posted by clublounger
This is absolutely NOT TRUE.

Please, nobody should be basing any of their decisions on this myth that the resort fee is now optional. There is no option to pay "ala carte" for the items that the resort fee covers.

This sort of misinformation makes these boards worse than useless and a complete waste of time.

Before anyone thinks for another moment that vg247 is right, call the front desk at the Sheraton Waikiki and ask for yourself.
Clublounger, this is good perspective that you bring suggesting everyone should do their own research and call the hotel in this case like you suggested..

However, were you there recently and come often to this hotel and have different experiences you can share with us all regarding the resort fees?

I was merely sharing my experiences and most importantly, experiences from a very recent stay for everyone to hopefully benefit from.

When you say, "This sort of misinformation makes these boards worse than useless and a complete waste of time" I think this is where you are wrong.
Forums and boards are for everyone to post their experiences for others to learn and benefit from, everyone's opinions and experiences count..even what you said here. So lets not play judge and say what's a waste of time or what is and is not useless, that is for others to decide...

If you have frequent and recent experiences at the Sheraton Waikiki differing from mine, post them and chime in so everyone including myself can learn. I can assure you it won't make this forum useless or a waste of time@:-)
Old Jul 13, 2014, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
I was there at the end of March and raised a fuss about the resort fee. The FDA offered to waive but said I would have to pay "a la carte" for any of the things it included. I was charged for parking but not the resort fee.

I wasn't sure if it was a one off so that's why I didn't mention it before.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 5:04 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium
Originally Posted by margarita girl
I was there at the end of March and raised a fuss about the resort fee. The FDA offered to waive but said I would have to pay "a la carte" for any of the things it included. I was charged for parking but not the resort fee.

I wasn't sure if it was a one off so that's why I didn't mention it before.
Our experiences are in alignment margarita girl, thank you for all your feedback helping everyone here with your previous posts as well.

On the two cards the FDA provided me as reference: on one it broke down services a la carte (internet, parking, etc.), on the other card it shows everything the resort fees covers, etc. In a way, they are showing the average guest with no hotel loyalty with the spg program, the options and benefits between opting for the resort fee or going a la carte for uses of certain services and amenities.

We were there end of February and for 10 days most recently at the beginning of the month. I will return end of August and again in November
Old Jul 18, 2014, 9:43 am

Programs: UA 1K; Hilton Honors Diamond; SPG Platinum
seeking advice from all of you...

we've stayed there before, had a good upgrade (to a Pualani Suite) as a platinum before.

2 nights, currently booked on points in a regular double-bed. thinking of using SNA, however i'm dreading the Malia Suite (as this is the automatic/default upgrade using SNAs).

however, based on the website, there are no Malia Suites available even for regular booking (however there do seem to be plenty of Kai Suites for straight-booking).

should I put in the SNA under the assumption that if Malia's stay fully-booked, they'll put me in a Kai? or should i just wait and then upon checkin take my chances as a Platinum to be upgraded to a Kai?

thoughts? thanks!
Old Jul 22, 2014, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
I am checking in later and dreading it, my SNA's didn't clear and my rate is now inflexible. The basic room (albeit ocean view now it seems, looks tiny and spartan). I am considering just paying the first night to free myself to go elsewhere.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 9:02 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
I am checking in later and dreading it, my SNA's didn't clear and my rate is now inflexible. The basic room (albeit ocean view now it seems, looks tiny and spartan). I am considering just paying the first night to free myself to go elsewhere.
On my last stay, my SNA's didn't clear either. I did get a high floow ocean view room though. The views are very nice (ocean and diamond head) but the rooms are indeed very spartan and somewhat small. Furniture had a brightly colored ikea wooden feel.

The club lounge is spectacular though. Great views, spacious and some of the best food offerings when compared to North American Sheratons.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 9:15 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

This is indeed the problem with this property. The regular OV rooms and non-refurbished Malia suites are a miss, but Kai and Pualani suites are among the most spectacular upgrades in the system. The hotel has now priced itself out of my range (it's no contest when the Hyatt is available for 50% less), but when C&P was available at 4.8k + $90 or 6k + $110, I would closely watch my reservations to see what happened a few days before arrival. IMO, the property is good at updating reservations early, and they go above and beyond for Platinums, if at all possible. They do get very busy, though, and when this happens, a xx59/60 club room at Hyatt is a much better option than a standard room at Sheraton.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 9:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
You never know until you check-in. Get there as close to 3p as possible, be nice, offer up some special note or occasion about the visit and plead for something larger with a view.

Just keep in mind that you're in Hawai'i - the purpose of the hotel room is really only to store stuff, shower and sleep.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well since I didn't land until 21:30 I had a good idea and my suspicions have been realised.

The rooms are smaller than typical NYC hotel rooms and whilst a clever attempt has been made to maximise space I feel like a battery chicken. I have connecting doors to both sides of the room and significant noise intrusion from at least one family next door. I hate the room and am reviewing my alternatives. If I didn't have a great rate and was really tired I would have refused to check in at all.

I offered to pay whatever it took to upgrade last night but was told they were fully booked despite SPG.com showing a Kai suite available.

It is a shame but for the terrible room this could be an OK property. To be fair they waived the resort fee when pressed hard on the alternate Plat amenity.

My wife and I have hand luggage only and find it way too small, it must be horrific with suitcases and/or children.

Am tempted to move to the RH next door but the reviews there don't fill me with confidence either and it seems most hotels here in Waikiki are similar to varying degrees of awfulness.

I had a night recently at the HI across the road which had a significantly better room product although little else going for it.

Last edited by Land-of-Miles; Jul 23, 2014 at 1:50 pm
Old Jul 23, 2014, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bocastephen

Just keep in mind that you're in Hawai'i - the purpose of the hotel room is really only to store stuff, shower and sleep.
I need to work too and a complete lack of soundproofing and noisy neighbouring family isn't conducive to sleep.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 10:26 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler, BonVoyLifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, President's Club,
I'm curious as to why so many say this is the best Starwood (other than Royal Hawaiian) when it seems there are so many problems.

Right now as I look at rates for my upcoming trip, I'm seeing Moana Westin cheaper than this Sheraton. Is this Sheraton really better than a Westin? Is it the lounge and upgrades that make it so nice?

I'm not sure about the resort fees, considering I don't drive there & only use internet. I'd assume that was covered by my Plat status. I've seen the pics & looked at the website, but still wonder why this is preferable to the Westin. If it is upgrades, I'm all for it!
Old Aug 16, 2014, 2:40 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by thaliajen
I'm curious as to why so many say this is the best Starwood (other than Royal Hawaiian) when it seems there are so many problems.
For us it's the pool. I don't know why, but we're clamoring to go back, and wife and I basically hated every other aspect of the hotel other than the infinity pool. Absurdly small/spartan room, always sold out so difficult to upgrade - for us they barely even honored the partial oceanview I'd booked in the first place - the FDA acted like he was doing us a favor (nope you're just I just found one - huh? I'd booked it all along!).
Old Aug 16, 2014, 2:49 pm

Programs: SPG Plat 100, Marriott Plat
I personally had zero issues and a wonderful stay. Got upgraded to a Kai suite. The lounge is pretty awesome - lots of choices (hot dishes), as well as beer and wine. Also has a great view of Waikiki beach
Old Aug 16, 2014, 5:07 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler, BonVoyLifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, President's Club,
Yeah- after the SPG site was down so long last night I was half asleep when reserving my hotels. I did 3 nights at Westin and my last night here. Now I want to go back & change that but Sheraton is booked up.

I think I'd have better luck here with upgrades and the pool is nicer. Oh well, I did things backwards but still have till Monday morning to change it if Sheraton comes back up for those dates. I was going to go half and half- 2 nights at each hotel. Oh well, that's life!
Old Aug 16, 2014, 5:56 pm

Programs: SPG Plat 100, Marriott Plat
Yeah- after the SPG site was down so long last night I was half asleep when reserving my hotels. I did 3 nights at Westin and my last night here. Now I want to go back & change that but Sheraton is booked up.

I think I'd have better luck here with upgrades and the pool is nicer. Oh well, I did things backwards but still have till Monday morning to change it if Sheraton comes back up for those dates. I was going to go half and half- 2 nights at each hotel. Oh well, that's life!
You never know; you might have a better experience at the Westin! Don't sweat it. Enjoy your time there!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.