Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

New Orleans: Which Starwood? 2006 on [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Orleans: Which Starwood? 2006 on [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2012, 6:24 pm

Programs: SPG Plat / Marriott Plat / Hertz PC
Going to NO in a month or so and would like some guidance. Needs to be family friendly.

I read through the thread but wanted to see if anyone had any recent experiences or recommendations.

Thanks!
Old Jun 10, 2012, 6:58 pm

Programs: Delta-Platinum, Starwood-Platinum
I am also going in a month with my 70 year old mother and my sister. None of us have been before. Both of them like to do touristy things, but they are not late-night rowdy types. We will probably have a rental car. We currently have a reservation at the Sheraton Metairie because of the price (pay your birth year) and free parking, but I am wondering about that location and if it will be annoying not being at one of the French Quarter SPGs. Any thoughts?
Old Jun 10, 2012, 8:20 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium -> United Silver
Originally Posted by muffalo
I am also going in a month with my 70 year old mother and my sister. None of us have been before. Both of them like to do touristy things, but they are not late-night rowdy types. We will probably have a rental car. We currently have a reservation at the Sheraton Metairie because of the price (pay your birth year) and free parking, but I am wondering about that location and if it will be annoying not being at one of the French Quarter SPGs. Any thoughts?
Yes, you are going to miss out on the experience of being able to walk everywhere and not have to worry about driving around, finding parking, etc. I'm all for a good deal but all the cool stuff is within walking distance of French Quarter hotels; if you were staying in Dallas, Austin or Houston you could probably stay anywhere and have a similar experience. Not so for New Orleans. If you don't have to stay at an SPG hotel I myself would use Hotwire/Betterbidding to find something in the French Quarter for a good price.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 12:16 am

Programs: AC down to Orange lol, Marriott Silver?
Dallas Esq,

Do you have SPG status? The Sheraton has a pretty decent lounge but they only do plats and charge golds. Alternatively I think it is a great use of 8K for the club lounge level on award nights..

I don't think you want to be far away especially travelling with an elderly parent. You want to be able to get back and rest when you need to.

I was there for Jazz Fest and someone I know was staying in a hotel on the edge of town and they found it inconvenient.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 7:31 am

Stayed at all 4 properties in NOLA in the year 2011

Highlights

W on Poydras - very hip, so hip that if you are not hip, you might not get treated well. Gym is very equipped. Pool is for getting wet only, similar to pool parties in Vegas. Bar is a good spot to meet peeps.

W FQ - smaller than W on Poydras. No gym but you can get W Poydras access. Best location out of all 4. It has a country club feel rather than a city skyscrapper.

Sheraton - Only one with Lounge access - quality food, too. Gym is equipped, pool is a bit bigger than W. Lobby is huge and welcoming. Greenchoice participant

Westin - $18/night garage parking. Breakfast buffet is a value for $20. Elevator rides can be troublesome. Greenchoice participant. Medium size gym. Decent size pool. Big lobby as well.
Location is 2nd best.

Cost consideration - vehicle valet parking (no self park) can be upwards of $40/night on the first three properties.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 8:32 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium -> United Silver
Originally Posted by Snoopyo
Dallas Esq,

Do you have SPG status? The Sheraton has a pretty decent lounge but they only do plats and charge golds. Alternatively I think it is a great use of 8K for the club lounge level on award nights..

I don't think you want to be far away especially travelling with an elderly parent. You want to be able to get back and rest when you need to.

I was there for Jazz Fest and someone I know was staying in a hotel on the edge of town and they found it inconvenient.
I think the poster asked about Sheraton METAIRIE, which is quite far from the French Quarter (maybe 6 miles). The Sheraton New Orleans is a good property.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 10:18 am

I think i'll try out the Sheraton New Orleans. Some of the tripadvisor traveler photos concerned me but I need a lounge so my parents can get breakfast.

Thanks!
Old Jun 11, 2012, 10:33 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by vrundmc
I think i'll try out the Sheraton New Orleans. Some of the tripadvisor traveler photos concerned me but I need a lounge so my parents can get breakfast.

Thanks!
You do realize that you are a in the city of food. There is food on every street corner and as far as the eye can see.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by prncess674
You do realize that you are a in the city of food. There is food on every street corner and as far as the eye can see.
Yes that would be fine for me, but for my parents, they would prefer to eat at the hotel and have it included in the rate. They are old school. It's the principal.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Yes that would be fine for me, but for my parents, they would prefer to eat at the hotel and have it included in the rate. They are old school. It's the principal.
Keep in mind the breakfast offering at the Sheraton is pretty limited I have a tough time even calling it a continental breakfast. Booking a breakfast rate and eating at the restaurant on the second floor is wonderful!

My research is continuing, but the lounge offering at the JW (yes Marriott) next door is VERY GOOD. And the Marriott across the street has a good lounge food offering.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by RogerD408
Keep in mind the breakfast offering at the Sheraton is pretty limited I have a tough time even calling it a continental breakfast. Booking a breakfast rate and eating at the restaurant on the second floor is wonderful!

My research is continuing, but the lounge offering at the JW (yes Marriott) next door is VERY GOOD. And the Marriott across the street has a good lounge food offering.
Thanks for the advice. Since you brought up the Marriott hotels, I may do a room at the Sheraton and one there. I have British Airways Avios that I can never find a way to use. Thanks!
Old Jun 12, 2012, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Going to NO in a month or so and would like some guidance. Needs to be family friendly.

I read through the thread but wanted to see if anyone had any recent experiences or recommendations.

Thanks!
Originally Posted by muffalo
I am also going in a month with my 70 year old mother and my sister.
Under no circumstances would I consider the W FQ for a stay next month. It's undergoing renovations and there's a LOT of construction noise. The renovations are targeted for completion in July, but things in New Orleans have a way of moving slowly, especially in the summers.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 3:42 pm

Programs: Club Awesome
Recently stayed at the Westin and W FQ in the same trip. Used Suite awards at both, got an 800 sq ft riverside view at the Westin, and a Fabulous room at the W FQ. Westin was very nice, but the elevator situation was a bit of a pain. You had to take the elevator to the 11th floor, then walk to the other elevator banks. Staff was great, they had a very nice breakfast buffet for $18. Location was great, very close to the FQ and the trains.

W FQ was undergoing renovations, but I only really heard noises one time from my room. No restaurant, no bar but they would do room service. Pool area was small but very nice as was the courtyard. Location was great, we were just far enough away from Bourbon so no noise during the night, we did have an interior facing room.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 8:04 am

Programs: Delta-Platinum, Starwood-Platinum
Originally Posted by DallasEsq
Yes, you are going to miss out on the experience of being able to walk everywhere and not have to worry about driving around, finding parking, etc. I'm all for a good deal but all the cool stuff is within walking distance of French Quarter hotels; if you were staying in Dallas, Austin or Houston you could probably stay anywhere and have a similar experience. Not so for New Orleans. If you don't have to stay at an SPG hotel I myself would use Hotwire/Betterbidding to find something in the French Quarter for a good price.
I am going to take this advice and cancel my Sheraton Metairie reservation and book the Westin Canal Place. Can someone fill me in on the parking options? I think I saw where the Westin is $19/night. What about the Harrah's "gamble for 30 minutes deal" for free parking? If I needed to park there from a Wednesday afternoon through a Friday afternoon how would the Harrah's work? Would I only have to gamble once for 30 minutes during that stretch or would I have to gamble for 30 minutes, remove the car, and repark each day? Thanks!
Old Sep 3, 2012, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by RogerD408

Ok, I need to update my posting... In NOLA now and:

The Sheraton is remodeling and the lobby is really messed up. Its been moved to the art gallery in the corner of the building. When checking in there was one line and they had the Gold Plat sign at that line and only two agents working the desk so the line was long and slow. This may be due to staffing issues after Isaac passed through. If it hadn't been for them having problems with the Gold/Plat line for many years, I probably would have let it slide.

They are also working on the Club Room. The web says reopening 9/1, Didn't make it and being told it will be a couple of months before it's ready. This is actually a good thing. The "temporary" club in behind the Roux Bistro and has MUCH BETTER food offerings than they have had upstairs in the club as they share the restaurant buffet line for breakfast and are able to do a larger selection for dinner. The other advantage is it's on the second floor so there is no elevator shuffle to get to the 42 floor (elevators serving guest rooms up to floor 29 do not go to 42). What's funny is they present a "zero bill" and at breakfast it states "tip included", but at dinner is states "tip not included".

Now the JW club food offering is still VERY GOOD and more upscale than Sheraton. Example last night Sheraton had Chicken & Chicken Wings, JW had Pork Medallions and Crab Claws.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.