Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Hawaii Kamaaina Spg Rate

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2005, 9:59 pm
Original Poster

Sheraton Hawaii Kamaaina Spg Rate

Friends of ours in Kona made reservations at the Sheraton Wakkiki for us using "Kamaaina Spg Members Rate". Kamaaina meaning something like local or resident. Has anyone used this type of rate and have you been asked to show Hawaii ID? We are SPG members so I'm not worried about that part of the rate.
Old Aug 16, 2005, 1:58 am

I am a Hawaii resident and many of the hotels offer these rates to residents. *wood is my favorite chain and I am a SPG. Upon check-in, they generally ask to see a local driver's license to verify that you are entitled to the rate. I think that this is noted in the confirmation document.
Old Aug 16, 2005, 5:02 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by SoCalPLT
Friends of ours in Kona made reservations at the Sheraton Wakkiki for us using "Kamaaina Spg Members Rate". Kamaaina meaning something like local or resident. Has anyone used this type of rate and have you been asked to show Hawaii ID? We are SPG members so I'm not worried about that part of the rate.
They will absolutely require Hawaii ID. It will be interesting to see your friends' reaction when they get to pay rack rate at check-in.
Old Aug 16, 2005, 5:49 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UAL 1K 2MM, AA Million Mile Gold
These will ask for a drivers lisc.

I got a rate from The Sheraton Black Rock that was supposedly "Ocean View" and when we checked in, even though we got speical treatment (a special checkin point) because of my Platinum status, I was very disappointed. The "ocean view" was a view facing into another building (I could, barely, see the ocean reflected off the glass). This has been my experience with many "Kama'aina" rates... they save some of the least desirable rooms for these rates.

I did go back and talk to management about it and they "upgraded" me to an ocean "front" (versus "view") room that was qute unimpressive... off in a different building (building 6?) with it's own parking lot.... lots of dirty laundry in the halls (big totes on wheels that were parked there for much of the day.

I decided not to push the issue and left it as it was as it was a long walk back to the front desk.

Anyway, long story short, I have had some great Kama'aina experiences (Sheraton Keahou Beach on the big island was great) as a *wood Gold member and some lousy ones as Platinum. I'm sure there are people who've had a great time, sometimes it's just luck of the draw I guess.
Old Aug 16, 2005, 6:04 pm
Original Poster

Red face Too good to be true

I figured they would ask... We found the Sheraton Princess Kaiulani accross the street for about $7 less ($125) using R35WEB and we qualify for that rate... so I guess we will stay there... any thoughts on the PK? Any other properties on Wakiki Beach you could reccommend under $125? We had found a rate of $79 at the Queen Kaipolani including a car but after reading reviews about the hotel we decided to switch...

Last edited by SoCalPLT; Aug 16, 2005 at 6:07 pm
Old Aug 17, 2005, 12:13 am

I figured they would ask... We found the Sheraton Princess Kaiulani accross the street for about $7 less ($125) using R35WEB and we qualify for that rate... so I guess we will stay there... any thoughts on the PK? Any other properties on Wakiki Beach you could reccommend under $125? We had found a rate of $79 at the Queen Kaipolani including a car but after reading reviews about the hotel we decided to switch...
There's a $108 rate at the Sheraton PK for UAL Members. I found the rate on FT and booked it (do a search for the link). As Plat, I was upgraded to Oceanview, which was a decent room. The hotel was pretty good in general, especially at that rate for a hotel in Hawaii, and it was in a great location right across from Waikiki Beach.
Old Aug 17, 2005, 1:57 am
Original Poster

Rate sold out

Thanks for the UA information. I tried to book it but "Offer not Available" for the dates... tried the AAELITE and UAREWARD but those too not available. The best I could find was the SPG 35% offer. Any other discount offers for Sheraton Hawaii for Sept 30- Oct 3?
Old Aug 17, 2005, 2:26 am

Thanks for the UA information. I tried to book it but "Offer not Available" for the dates... tried the AAELITE and UAREWARD but those too not available. The best I could find was the SPG 35% offer. Any other discount offers for Sheraton Hawaii for Sept 30- Oct 3?
Have you considered the cheapie Manor Wing at Sheraton Waikiki? Search for the FT thread on that Wing. I see it's available during your stay ($110 during the Sept night and $119 during the Oct. nights). Seeing as how you are Plat, I'd definitely go for that for a night or 2. I booked that rate (I think I paid $115) when I went two months ago and as a Plat I was upgraded to an Oceanfront Room. I actually booked a split reservation on purpose (Sheraton Waikiki + PK) just to see the different HNL properties and also in case I actually got stuck in the Manor room. Of course I also figured I would have a better chance at an upgrade if I split my stay as well (not to mention the added bonus of TWO Plat amenities rather than one). I'd say SW was a little bit better than PK overall. Those properties are both very close to each other, around a 5 minute walk or so (probably ~1/8 mile) and both are right in the heart of Waikiki. You can't go wrong with either choice as far as I'm concerned............

But quite frankly, since you are also Hyatt Diamond, if I were you personally I'd try to rack up some Hyatt stays between 9/1 and 9/30 so you can accumulate free FFN nights. Hyatt Waikiki is a much nicer and classier hotel than either of the two previously mentioned Sheratons and I also stayed there on the same trip for 3 nights and was upgraded to the Penthouse Suite as a Hyatt Diamond (don't expect that upgrade though, that was total luck I think). But at Hyatt you get RC access as a Diamond which is much better than anything you get at the Sheratons. It might be worth it to go out of your way and stay at a couple cheap Hyatts in early Sept so you can use your FFNs for Hyatt Waikiki. BTW, the Hyatt is on the street corner opposite the PK, another great location.
Old Aug 17, 2005, 2:53 am
Original Poster

Manor Wing

Thanks for the information. I tried to book Sheraton Wakiki and Manor Wing on the internet but it showed sold out. I called PLT Rez and they said they had rooms for the 1st two nights but were sold out on Oct 2. I fear with the hotel sold out on the last night I would be stuck in the Manor Wing... what do you think? As far as Hyatt goes, the lowest rate I could find was $264/248. I would rather stay at the Hyatt because EVERYTIME I've stayed at a Hyatt I've been upgraded and not just to a "standard" suite but a couple of Presidentials and Park suites. At Starwood I seem to get "Executive" or "Junior" suites which tend to be standard rooms with a sofa stuck in the corner.

Last edited by SoCalPLT; Aug 17, 2005 at 3:02 am
Old Aug 17, 2005, 11:27 am

Thanks for the information. I tried to book Sheraton Wakiki and Manor Wing on the internet but it showed sold out. I called PLT Rez and they said they had rooms for the 1st two nights but were sold out on Oct 2. I fear with the hotel sold out on the last night I would be stuck in the Manor Wing... what do you think? As far as Hyatt goes, the lowest rate I could find was $264/248. I would rather stay at the Hyatt because EVERYTIME I've stayed at a Hyatt I've been upgraded and not just to a "standard" suite but a couple of Presidentials and Park suites. At Starwood I seem to get "Executive" or "Junior" suites which tend to be standard rooms with a sofa stuck in the corner.
Check the website again. Only the Manor Wing rooms are sold out on 10/2, the whole hotel isn't sold out. That said, when I was there, the whole Sheraton Waikiki hotel was actually showing as sold out, however I got there early (~2PM) and I still got upgraded to an Oceanfront room from my $115 Manor Wing Room. I'd definitely book the Manor Room, especially if you can get there early. As for the Hyatt, I meant that you should use your FFN award nights to stay at HR Waikiki for free, don't even worry about looking at rates. If you have any FFNs accumulated, use those. If not, book some cheap Hyatt stays in early Sept so that you DO have FFNs to use. As far as the standard Diamond upgraded at HR Waikiki, most people get upgraded to a RC level room (some oceanviews and some partial oceanviews). It is not common to get upgraded to a Penthouse/Presidential/or any other Suite there. You probably get upgraded to Park Suites at Park Hyatts where they have many Park Suites available. HR Waikiki does not have that many Suites, however the rooms/hotel in general is nicer at the Hyatt than either SW or PK. Another thing, I wasn't upgraded to a Suite at all at either of the Sheratons, however I was quite content with the Oceanview/Oceanfront upgrades I got considering I was only paying $115/$108 to stay in the heart of Waikiki in the middle of the summer. But if you can, I'd go the Hyatt FFN ruote. Also, the Hilton HV normally has their cheapest rooms for ~$199 a night and I hear Diamonds get decent upgrades there. You might try there as well since you are also HH Diamond...........

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.