Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

FAQ: Starwood policy: guarantee bedding and smoking preference on paid/award stays

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 21, 2014, 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: controller1
UPDATE: Per Starwood Lurker, Starwood no longer guarantees bed type with any reservation.

Multiple Issues at hotel.. Sold out hotel. Advice needed.

Bed type booked is guaranteed with paid reservations. Bed type booked is not guaranteed with award reservations.

If booked on a BRG rate, the room type is guaranteed but bed type isn't.
Print Wikipost

FAQ: Starwood policy: guarantee bedding and smoking preference on paid/award stays

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2008, 3:07 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by hhoope01
Would it still be worth the effort to notify Corp Cust Service if I had a stay during the middle of October where the hotel gave me the "its only a preference" line? I was a Gold at the time, and I'll admit I'm really new to the SPG rules, so I just took their word for it and went about my business.

But if it is helpful to let Cust Service know, I can call them. (Note I have since stayed at that same property 3 times since and haven't had a bedding issue.)
That would be your call, but any issue that is less than a year old can be run by Corporate Customer Service. And, it might help them understand that it isn't a preference...it is a guarantee, unless the room type is sold as a Run-of-House room.

If you do file the complaint, I would mention that you've stayed three times since and the issue has not come up again, but that you felt that this needed to made a part of the hotel's record.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Nov 21, 2008, 11:18 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker II
Hi Condition One,

As William has mentioned earlier, on a paid rate, room preferences, such as bedding type and smoking preferences, are guaranteed.

[email protected]
It's only happened to me once that I got one bed and not two, but that's enough that I'm going to start calling if I'm arriving in the evening! Anyway, I just called the platinum concierge (so that the incident could be made part of the hotel's record, as William suggested above) who directed me over to corporate, and they both said that bedding type (even as a gold or platinum SPG member) isn't guaranteed. I was confused, and the lovely woman with a British accent at corporate said that if you arrive past 8 or 9 then the chances of your not getting your bedding preference greatly increase. She said the only thing guaranteed is the room type (standard room, club room, etc).
Old Nov 21, 2008, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by thechosenuno
...I was confused, and the lovely woman with a British accent at corporate said that if you arrive past 8 or 9 then the chances of your not getting your bedding preference greatly increase. She said the only thing guaranteed is the room type (standard room, club room, etc).
She's dead wrong about bedding types and smoking preferences not being guaranteed on paid rates, unless your room type is Run-of-House; however, she is spot on regarding the chances that you may not get what you guaranteed the later you check-in.

Otherwise, why would an RTD file be a billable offense? It is precisely that to prevent these things from happening or the hotel has to both pay and suffer the consequences on their GSI scores for not delivering what the customer ordered.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Nov 21, 2008, 11:56 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
She's dead wrong about bedding types and smoking preferences not being guaranteed on paid rates, unless your room type is Run-of-House; however, she is spot on regarding the chances that you may not get what you guaranteed the later you check-in.

Otherwise, why would an RTD file be a billable offense? It is precisely that to prevent these things from happening or the hotel has to both pay and suffer the consequences on their GSI scores for not delivering what the customer ordered.
You're preaching to the choir! I had booked a twin room on the club floor, and didn't get two beds during that stay. While she wouldn't say that the room type is guaranteed, she did take the information and said she'd send it over to the hotel manager for a response. Not sure if this is how they log billable offenses...
Old Nov 21, 2008, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by thechosenuno
...Not sure if this is how they log billable offenses...
Precisely so...but she did not code it correctly, which I fixed.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Nov 22, 2008, 12:20 pm

Programs: Free Agent
My stay posted this morning, so I called up customer service. A British lady confirmed that the room type booked was guaranteed, but sometimes rooms are given away if you arrive late. I also mentioned that I had some room service issues, which she noted.

She said that she would forward my complaint to the manager of the hotel, and things would be conducted via email.

As a side note, she also said that Hilton Diamonds are now matched to SPG Gold (instead of Platinum). I hope she's wrong!
Old May 4, 2009, 9:53 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Checked into the Sheraton Crystal City at 11:30 PM on Saturday night, reserved a King Bed room. When we got up to our room it was a double bed accessible room, much less than ideal. I called down and the woman who checked us in said it was the room we were assigned and was allegedly the last room available. I said that I expected a call in the morning from the manager to explain what happened that I didn't get the room I reserved.

In the morning a manager calls and explains that room requests are based on "availablity" and then she says there were lots of platinums at the hotel. She repeatedly insisted that room type is not guaranteed. She also said something about the Club level, I asked her if the lounge was open on the weekend, she said no, so I simply told her why would I care about the Club level then, I want the room I reserved. She later in the same phone call said "I may not have gotten my room type even if I checked in early", which was different than what she told me earlier in the discussion (that there was no way she could have accomodated our reserved type). I told her I would complain to corporate and she honestly didn't care. Finally I just came out and said, "So you aren't even going to try and make me happy", and she offered free breakfast or points, I said "A couple thousand points would be acceptable," and she agreed.

Since they "paid me off" I'm not sure if I should complain to corporate or not ... the thing is there doesn't seem to be anything on the website about this one way or the other.
Old May 4, 2009, 10:26 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeFairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: National Executive, AAdvantage Platinum, SPG Platinum, FPC Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Beckles
Checked into the Sheraton Crystal City at 11:30 PM on Saturday night, reserved a King Bed room. When we got up to our room it was a double bed accessible room, much less than ideal. I called down and the woman who checked us in said it was the room we were assigned and was allegedly the last room available. I said that I expected a call in the morning from the manager to explain what happened that I didn't get the room I reserved.

In the morning a manager calls and explains that room requests are based on "availablity" and then she says there were lots of platinums at the hotel. She repeatedly insisted that room type is not guaranteed. She also said something about the Club level, I asked her if the lounge was open on the weekend, she said no, so I simply told her why would I care about the Club level then, I want the room I reserved. She later in the same phone call said "I may not have gotten my room type even if I checked in early", which was different than what she told me earlier in the discussion (that there was no way she could have accomodated our reserved type). I told her I would complain to corporate and she honestly didn't care. Finally I just came out and said, "So you aren't even going to try and make me happy", and she offered free breakfast or points, I said "A couple thousand points would be acceptable," and she agreed.

Since they "paid me off" I'm not sure if I should complain to corporate or not ... the thing is there doesn't seem to be anything on the website about this one way or the other.
I think it is inexcusable for the property to use the excuse that there are a lot of platinums at the property. The hotel obviously violated the guarantee and although they offered you points(only after your prompting), I would personally still file a complaint with corporate. To me if they did not have the room with the bed type you booked you should've been walked to an equivalent type of hotel.
Old May 4, 2009, 4:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred

Yes you should! If this is what the property is doing, which is the wrong thing. By not contacting corporate customer service the problem will not be fixed. You want the problem fixed call. If they do this, who knows what else they are doing incorrectly or not by SPG/Starwood policies.

Call CCS.
Old May 4, 2009, 5:36 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
When we got up to our room it was a double bed accessible room, much less than ideal. I called down and the woman who checked us in said it was the room we were assigned and was allegedly the last room available. I said that I expected a call in the morning from the manager to explain what happened that I didn't get the room I reserved.

In the morning a manager calls and explains that room requests are based on "availablity" and then she says there were lots of platinums at the hotel. She repeatedly insisted that room type is not guaranteed.
Almost to the letter, I had this same experience at the marginal Sheraton Framingham MA just last week. This front desk never ceases to disappoint, but I got the very same line from the night FD Mgr (which made it even more maddening). I was told that all reservations are merely "requests only" and that the hotel is unable to guarantee room types for anyone.

I wasted no time messing around with them and I simply called *wood directly to report it.

Had the hotel apologized to me at check in and alerted me to the room type change, I frankly wouldn't have cared. But knowing they had changed my room type and not bothering to clue me in was not acceptable. But being told I was wrong was what pushed me over the edge.

I really suggest that each person who finds themselves in this sort of scenario kindly take the time to contact *wood Customer Care to ensure that it's documented. Hotels that attempt this sort of thing are operating outside of the guidelines of the SPG program!!!
Old May 4, 2009, 5:45 pm

Programs: UA BA SW SPG
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
As you know, award rooms are booked as run-of-the-house (ROH). [/email]
Is this also true for Cash & Points? We have two rooms at the Westin Paris and non-smoking is requested (and necessary). If they can't guarantee non-smoking I might use $ or book at another property.

Thanks.
Old May 4, 2009, 5:46 pm

Programs: UA BA SW SPG
Originally Posted by sbtinme
I wasted no time messing around with them and I simply called *wood directly to report it.
What was the response from *wood?
Old May 4, 2009, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by petal
Is this also true for Cash & Points? We have two rooms at the Westin Paris and non-smoking is requested (and necessary). If they can't guarantee non-smoking I might use $ or book at another property.

Thanks.
No, Cash & Points is an award room, so it is sold as Run of House...unless of course you book an upgraded version at a Starwood Vacation Ownership property that sells them in addition to standard Cash & Points.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old May 4, 2009, 7:24 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Originally Posted by petal
What was the response from *wood?
It was worth my while, let's just leave it at that. The Customer Care agent I worked with was exceptionally professional and thorough -- she spoke with me three times over 24 hours to let me know how seriously she was taking my report.
Old May 6, 2009, 1:05 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SleepDoc
I would personally still file a complaint with corporate.
Originally Posted by Cheap Elite
Yes you should! If this is what the property is doing, which is the wrong thing. By not contacting corporate customer service the problem will not be fixed. You want the problem fixed call. If they do this, who knows what else they are doing incorrectly or not by SPG/Starwood policies.

Call CCS.
Alright guys, I sent them an email and explained the situation and that I was not seeking compensation since the hotel did compensate me at the time, only requesting that they make sure the hotel's staff is aware of the proper policy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.