FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest-429/)
-   -   Starhot rate (for family of employees) not eligible for Starpoints or elite benefits (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest/452235-starhot-rate-family-employees-not-eligible-starpoints-elite-benefits.html)

Tartanboy Jul 13, 2005 9:47 am

Starhot rate (for family of employees) not eligible for Starpoints or elite benefits

Hi there,

Just wondering if anyone knew if it was possible to collect Starwood points while staying in a room booked with a Starhot rate (my friend is an employee).

Thanks very much,
TB

Starwood Lurker Jul 13, 2005 9:49 am

Originally Posted by Tartanboy
Hi there,

Just wondering if anyone knew if it was possible to collect Starwood points while staying in a room booked with a Starhot rate (my friend is an employee).

Thanks very much,
TB

No.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]

dhammer53 Jul 13, 2005 10:54 am

Starwood Lurker is correct, as usual. ;)

Any additional comments are purely editorial. :D

Dan

1K_From_SNA Jul 13, 2005 11:18 am

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
No.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders

And he was "Sincere" about it too.

From Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary
2 : marked by genuineness : TRUE
- sin·cere·ly adverb
- sin·cere·ness noun

:D

Rolling Stone Jul 13, 2005 11:39 am

Are You Even Eligible?

If I recall from some long ago posts I thought the employee rate was available only to employees and their immediate families? You might want to be prepared to pay a higher rate if you're asked for ID at check in. :p

Starwood Lurker Jul 13, 2005 11:42 am

Originally Posted by Rolling Stone
If I recall from some long ago posts I thought the employee rate was available only to employees and their immediate families? You might want to be prepared to pay a higher rate if you're asked for ID at check in. :p

I was going to say something about this as well, but if the employee follows proper procedure, they will have secure a letter of introduction to give to the person, for whom the room is booked, to present at check in. Without that letter of introduction a higher rate is very likely to be charged. :)

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]

Foady Jul 13, 2005 12:04 pm

Here's another question on the topic. If I'm staying with my friend, who is an employee on a StarHot rate, will I be able to present my Platinum (or Gold) card and receive amenities, ie SPG preferred floor room, lounge access, or (dare I even say) suite upgrade?

Starwood Lurker Jul 13, 2005 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by Foady
Here's another question on the topic. If I'm staying with my friend, who is an employee on a StarHot rate, will I be able to present my Platinum (or Gold) card and receive amenities, ie SPG preferred floor room, lounge access, or (dare I even say) suite upgrade?

Nope, not if the reservation is held in the name of the employee, which it would have to be in order to get the Starhot rate. But, as always, YMMV.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]

Tartanboy Jul 13, 2005 2:13 pm

Thanks very much for the information. I didn't figure we'd have any luck, but it was worth a shot!

TB

Woodsmit Dec 20, 2005 4:54 pm

Who can use these rates

Does this mean that only employees and families can use the rate or can they give it to freinds? What if you just claim to be family or do you need to share the same last name?

Starwood Lurker Dec 21, 2005 9:01 am

Originally Posted by Woodsmit
Does this mean that only employees and families can use the rate or can they give it to freinds? What if you just claim to be family or do you need to share the same last name?

Only immediate family members related to the employee can use this rate. I can't even get it for my sister-in-law unless she is staying with my brother. ;)

You have to present a letter of introduction from the employee's HR department. If you don't have it when you check in, then you will be paying a higher rate. If the employee lies about your familial association, they are liable for immediate dismissal.

A lot of hotels have what they call a Friends & Family rate, which can be booked for family members who do not qualify for the Starhot rate and for friends of Starwood associates. This rate isn't eligible for Starpoints or stay credit either, IIRC.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]

Woodsmit Dec 21, 2005 10:33 am

Thanks for the info! Would this freinds and family rate be close to the Starhot rate or is it not a great deal? Can Starwood employees give as many of these freinds & family discounts as they wish?

thanks!

Starwood Lurker Dec 21, 2005 11:02 am

Originally Posted by Woodsmit
Thanks for the info! Would this freinds and family rate be close to the Starhot rate or is it not a great deal? Can Starwood employees give as many of these freinds & family discounts as they wish?

thanks!

The Friends and Family rate varies depending upon what hotel may be offering it. It is usually at least $80 - $100 higher than the Starhot rate. I don't think there is a limit to the number of rooms as long as it does not exceed 9 on a single arrival date or times it can be booked per year for a single person; however, that would be in the ultimate control of the hotel as the rate plan is both capacity controlled and subject to black-outs.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]

springfield Jun 18, 2007 1:37 pm

Immediate family members

I am sure the employee booklet states this, unfortunately it is not available on the web, and asking the HR rep gives away your intentions should one get a negative answer (better to be sorry and ask forgiveness than to ask ahead of time, no? ;)

Immediate family obviously includes: self, siblings, parents, children.
Does it include: uncles/aunts, nephews/nieces, or first cousins?

Starwood Lurker Jun 18, 2007 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by springfield (Post 7921513)
...Does it include: uncles/aunts, nephews/nieces, or first cousins?

No, and not for inlaws other than your spouse's mother and father either.

Better you should ask HR rather than risk your employment, no? ;)

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]