Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel Rate Inclusions Changed After Booking

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2012, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Mileage Plus, BA Executive Club, Hyatt Gold Passport
Hotel Rate Inclusions Changed After Booking

I booked a AAA Hot rate a few months back for an upcoming stay at a Starwood property. At the time I got my confirmation, it stated the following under the heading Special Services for All Rooms:

Rate Plan: AAA Offer
CHARITABLE DONATION Per Room/per Stay
DINNER ALL INCLUSIVP Per Room/per Night
20% SPA DISCOUNT Per Room/per Night

When I checked the reservation yesterday, the reference to dinner was missing. I called reservations and they told me to contact the hotel because there was no record of the dinner offer ever having been in the reservation. When I contacted the hotel, they told me the dinner reference had been a "system glitch" that they removed when they discovered it. Now they are refusing to honor what was on the original booking despite the fact I have it in writing (having printed out my original booking in late October). I have a problem with the fact that they changed it well over a month after I booked without bothering to inform me.

Starwood Customer Service told me the best they can do is email the hotel and try to convince them to honor the original rate's dinner provision. If this fails, what recourse do I have short of cancelling the booking?
Old Dec 2, 2012, 3:43 pm

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
I think you should recieve some kind of compensation but I can't value that, plus one month after looks like a long time to rectify that issue.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 4:06 pm
Original Poster

If it was a "system glitch" then it wasn't obvious to the reservations agent who helped me make the booking.

In my more cynical moments, I would think that the hotel set up the rate, then realized sometime later that they were losing too much money on it and then changed it for any future reservations.

I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt, but what I don't like is people who blame what is most likely human error on a "system glitch" to try and absolve themselves of any responsibility.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 4:57 pm

Sounds bogus to me. Which property? Also, did they contact you about this when they discovered the glitch. If not, seems to me it should be honoured.

Cheers,
Old Dec 2, 2012, 5:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
1. OP at least name the property so your fellow FT can avoid it in future. You would want the same if the situation were reversed.

2. Don't sweat this. Bring a print out, ask at check-in. If you get the deal, all is well. If you don't, ask to have your rate adjusted. Or, if they won't, after you get home, dispute a reasonable amount of the rate and attaching your print out.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 5:46 pm
Original Poster

It's the Sheraton Macao, Cotai Central. I was hesitant to name names since they still have an opportunity to make things right before I get there.

No, they did not contact me when they "discovered" the "glitch". I only found out because I checked the reservation online yesterday and saw that the dinner notation had been removed. That is why I have my suspicions about their story.

I booked the reservation before the property opened. I would have thought the rate was a bit too good to be true except that Sheraton reservations told me that the rate I got was so generous because the hotel is brand new and is trying to attract business.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
If your booking screen and eMail confirmation says Dinner is included then that is what you should expect. Have an extra copy of the confirmation with you at check-in. If the property refuses, take the issue up with SPG. If it was a "computer glitch", they should have made contact to change the terms of your reservation.

Have you gone back in to see what current reservations state? Does the "glitch" still exist?

If you'll post the property name, there may be others that have the same situation (and may not know it). If others come forward, you may get more traction, otherwise you'll be considered a one-off and there's no issue. As the saying goes: Safety in numbers.

Also, since you don't know exactly how this will shake out, give them a chance to do right by you. Please report back here how it turns out. If they fail to come through, be prepared to post on other travel sites like Trip Advisor to alert others to the practices followed by this property. FT may be popular, but not close to some others.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 8:34 pm
Original Poster

I got a very apologetic email from the hotel's reservations manager tonight offering a set course dinner for two for both nights of our stay. The only catch is that they want us to set our reservation times now, but I suppose that is understandable since we will be staying there over a weekend.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by jsnearline
I got a very apologetic email from the hotel's reservations manager tonight offering a set course dinner for two for both nights of our stay. The only catch is that they want us to set our reservation times now, but I suppose that is understandable since we will be staying there over a weekend.
I'm sure some would question the motivation, but I say all's well that ends well; good recovery by the property. Enjoy.

Cheers,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.