Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Starhot rate (for family of employees) not eligible for Starpoints or elite benefits

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Starhot rate (for family of employees) not eligible for Starpoints or elite benefits

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2011, 8:04 pm

Programs: spg gold, CO Platinum, MR Gold
Originally Posted by rrz518
Yes there are. The people who honestly spend 75++ room nights in your hotel chain deserve the benefits that are honestly published and promised.
So what? You'd go crazy if an upgrade room was not available? What if there are more plats checking in than upgraded rooms available? you're gonna jump on a table saying hey, I'm guaranteed a suite, its a promise, I'm supposed to get a suite.. you do realize that there are probably only X amount of rooms considered an upgraded room? If a hotel has say 400 rooms, I'd bet maybe 20 to 30 percent of the total amount of rooms would be considered an upgraded room.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 8:04 pm

Programs: DL PM, SW, Hilton, , UAL PM, AA Gold-skeptic
Originally Posted by justspg
To change the subject a little bit albeit on the subject of upgrades, how about this? a hotel has, for example, 94 upgradeable rooms (including suites)..they have 95 PLT checking in..94 plats check in, and you are the last one to come.. FDA says to you, sorry sir but all suites/upgraded rooms are sold out..we have rooms on a floor below the SPG floor.. I would guess you're the type of person who would cry and say why? Am I not as important a PLT as another PLT? or Are you the type of person who would just accept it and say its just a room, no big deal?
Hotels generally do not generally upgrade on the "first come first served" principle. There is a heirarchy, just like w/the airlines, and the upgrades are assigned based on loyalty to the brand and hotel, rate, etc.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 8:09 pm

Hotels generally do not generally upgrade on the "first come first served" principle. There is a heirarchy, just like w/the airlines, and the upgrades are assigned based on loyalty to the brand and hotel, rate, etc.
of course not, but if the 94th plat (from my previous example) was assigned to a different room, and you had the last suite, the FDA would unblock your suite and give it to the Plt guest who is checking in, especially if he/she asked for an upgrade. It has been known to happen that rooms will be swapped around, even if its already pre-assigned.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 8:21 pm

an upgraded room DOES NOT have to be a suite.. it can be an enhanced room with a view, etc. Why must you think an upgraded room can only be a suite? You are assuming an upgrade can only apply to suites and that is incorrect.
And your point is...???

If you are ever in the position as a Front Desk manager to have to explain to a Platinum or similar that you gave away his suite/upgraded room/whatever to an employees family member at a Starhot/MARH/etc. rate, chances are that you would be acting contrary to policy and not only would probably have a very unhappy Elite member, but your GM would probably not be amused either.

AGAIN.....it all depends on the specific hotel/company policy re: the eligibility of upgrades for these low low rates. If your company supports it, so be it. If not, so be it. So again, I would encourage you to find out the specific policy as it relates to your opinion and live with it.

I doubt any rational hotel would knowlingly forgo an elite upgrade for an employee rate reservation. If, OTOH, they have plenty of inventory that would otherwise sit empty, it's up to the management of the hotel if they want to spend the money. As I've pointed out before, upgrades are usually not free to the hotel and employee rates are at cost. Suites in particular cost more to use, clean, maintain. Many properties, however, maintain a no favors no waivers policy for this type of reservation for this reason.

Did you ever consider that upgrading a non-SPG member (or HH, MM, etc.) as a reward for enrollment might have even stronger goodwill effects than upgrading an employee room?

On a side note, I tried VERY hard to work an upgrade on Continental (and it was a full business class ticket by the way), and the agent politely explained that if he violated CO's policy, he would be fired. (I verified this later, he was quite correct. They don't play).
Old Feb 19, 2011, 8:23 pm

of course not, but if the 94th plat (from my previous example) was assigned to a different room, and you had the last suite, the FDA would unblock your suite and give it to the Plt guest who is checking in, especially if he/she asked for an upgrade. It has been known to happen that rooms will be swapped around, even if its already pre-assigned.
No. If my upgrade priority was higher than arrival #94, most properties would leave my room assignment alone. It's all about heirarchy, not who arrives first or last.

Similar with who gets walked in an oversell.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 8:26 pm

Quips added

So what? You'd go crazy if an upgrade room was not available? What if there are more plats checking in than upgraded rooms available? you're gonna jump on a table saying hey, I'm guaranteed a suite, its a promise, I'm supposed to get a suite.. you do realize that there are probably only X amount of rooms considered an upgraded room? If a hotel has say 400 rooms, I'd bet maybe 20 to 30 percent of the total amount of rooms would be considered an upgraded room.
Actually, someone in this position would simply pick up the phone and call the Platinum desk at SPG and have them sort it out if there was no one at the hotel who could help. What position my reservation is on the heirarchy should determine my room assignment. Clearly every hotel has different layouts, size and facilities so expectations need to be realistic, making the juming on tables unnecessary.

Last edited by rrz518; Feb 19, 2011 at 8:40 pm Reason: added some quips
Old Feb 19, 2011, 8:32 pm

Actually, someone in this position would simply pick up the phone and call the Platinum desk at SPG and have them sort it out. What position my reservation on the heirarchy should determine my room assignment.
and if the 94 plats have already checked in and your suite was given to another plt? you're gonna call the Plt desk as a result or even go so far as to open a customer complaint file? I'm not trying to be a smart *** but it seems you and I have to agree to disagree.. all I can say is if the hotel decides to upgrade a person on a low rate for a special occassion, good for them, if they don't thats fine too.. after all, its only a request.. nobody should expect anything.. if you keep your expectations low, then there won't be any shock or surprises.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 8:39 pm

and if the 94 plats have already checked in and your suite was given to another plt? you're gonna call the Plt desk as a result or even go so far as to open a customer complaint file? I'm not trying to be a smart *** but it seems you and I have to agree to disagree.. all I can say is if the hotel decides to upgrade a person on a low rate for a special occassion, good for them, if they don't thats fine too.. after all, its only a request.. nobody should expect anything.. if you keep your expectations low, then there won't be any shock or surprises.
Depends on the circumstances. If I were to find out that an employee rate res was in a better accomodation than I, you bet I would vocalize that somehow, or at least have a discussion with the GM or MOD. I've found that the latter is really a great way to resolve issues, btw. The demonstrative behavior (table jumping) that you used in your example is not my style.....

As to expectations.....SW, and others, lay out their terms and conditions quite plainly, and if the hotel in question does not uphold those on their end, then that's a problem.

FWIW, if a property has 95 Platinums and a fairly limited inventory, I for one would be duly impressed with their popularity, they must be doing something right to have that kind of demand.

That said, generally the higher the rate, the higher the expectations. And vice versa.

Last edited by rrz518; Feb 19, 2011 at 8:52 pm
Old Feb 20, 2011, 10:08 am

Programs: Starwood Gold, HH Diamond,Hyatt Diamond
95 bottles of beer on the wall 95 bottles of beer ,if one of those bottles should happen to fall there'd be 94 bottles of beer on the wall.

This thread in my opinion has gotten off track and flaming the simple question of Star Hot rates and what they deliver.

What you do get:
Cheapest standard room ,no view *
50% off food and beverage ( no alcohol ) for those registered in the room
Most properties room service not allowed and the 50% discount may apply only to certain restaurants on the property, not all

What you don't get
No additional perks ie, parking, late checkouts, water bottles, internet or wi fi*
No lounge access where available
No stay credit or points for your stay ( see exception below)

What you may get:

If you get lucky and the occupancy is low, a friendly desk clerk may up your accommodation to a higher floor ,better view and even a suite. Just kindness and luck on this. Perhaps status or familiarity would bias his kindness
You do get points on any additional monies you spend for food and beverage that you will pay when you settle your account.

From my experience the true benefit is the rate itself ,especially at resorts, and the food discount in whatever restaurant it applies.It saves a bundle.

Other folks have posted on how to procure a Star Hot rate , along with the paperwork and documentation necessary to substantiate your eligibility so I won't go into that here.

One caution that I have experienced is that the star hot rates are not available for booking too far into the future. Some resorts release them at either 30, 60, or 90 days out depending on the property.I could even be wrong on the 60 and 90 day out release and it may only be 30 days.I'm not sure.

Hope this helps
Old Feb 20, 2011, 11:38 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, AA Plat, UA Silver, kettle everywhere else
Granted PLT's should be upgraded 1st, but I'm sure not getting upgraded just once won't ruin their loyalty to starwood.
Have you ever READ this forum? "I have been a Plat for 50 years but had to wait an extra 20 seconds for check in and then there wasn't a pen on the desk in my room and only two washcloths instead of three, and I asked them for points to make up for it all but the GM refused, so after all this trouble I am NEVER staying at a SPG again and am changing my allegiance to HoJo. SO THERE!!!"
Old Feb 21, 2011, 5:02 am

Programs: *G, SPG Plat, Accor Plat
you are correct about the friends rate but I was just using examples..as for the rate being ineligible for upgrades and using upgrades for higher paying customers you are correct.. but for a once in a lifetime sort of experience, I'm sure they would do something nice. There is no such thing as a rate being ineligible for an upgrade.
For once in a lifetime sort of experience, I purchase a suite - not demand/request/expect that I be upgraded to one.
YMMV.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 6:48 am

Programs: HH diamond
you are correct about the friends rate but I was just using examples..as for the rate being ineligible for upgrades and using upgrades for higher paying customers you are correct.. but for a once in a lifetime sort of experience, I'm sure they would do something nice. There is no such thing as a rate being ineligible for an upgrade. Any rate is eligible for an upgrade (complimentary upgrades notwithstanding). As for business sense, its not about business but about going above and beyond in service. It's all about putting yourself in the traveler's shoes. If I'm a front desk manager of a hotel and I see someone at a starhot rate or even a starfriends rate and they are on a honeymoon, I would most definitely upgrade them, not because of business sense but courtesy and creating a memorable experience because a honeymoon is not something that happens on a regular basis, much like a birthday, things of that nature. That is how you make business. I can understand peoples' distaste for upgrading people who pay low fees. If it was your sister on a honeymoon, wouldn't you want her upgraded, regardless of what price she paid, even if she booked through priceline or hotwire to save money? Granted PLT's should be upgraded 1st, but I'm sure not getting upgraded just once won't ruin their loyalty to starwood.
I don't agree. If you are booking the cheapst rate possible, you can NOT expect any upgrade, esp if it is NOT eligible for upgrade. To expect to be upgraded just because it is "once in a lifetime" (not true for most ppl, BTW) event is arrogant and entitled. If you want to make it special, PAY for it to be ensured.
As a Plt, I WOULD be upset if a Starhot reservation got a better upgrade than me. A honey in NOT a good enough reason. That person is ALREADY getting a fantastic gift - a massive discount at a nice hotel. Sorry, expecting anything more would be wrong! If you want the upgrade, PAY for it!
Old Feb 21, 2011, 7:30 am

Originally Posted by travelinfoo
I don't agree. If you are booking the cheapst rate possible, you can NOT expect any upgrade, esp if it is NOT eligible for upgrade. To expect to be upgraded just because it is "once in a lifetime" (not true for most ppl, BTW) event is arrogant and entitled. If you want to make it special, PAY for it to be ensured.
As a Plt, I WOULD be upset if a Starhot reservation got a better upgrade than me. A honey in NOT a good enough reason. That person is ALREADY getting a fantastic gift - a massive discount at a nice hotel. Sorry, expecting anything more would be wrong! If you want the upgrade, PAY for it!
How would you even know if a starhot rate or even a priceline/hotwire rate got an upgrade? Mgmt or even the staff is not even allowed to share rates with other people so there is no way for you to even know. There is such a thing as courtesy. If it were me on my honeymoon and I put a comment that we are on our honeymoon, I would not expect anything at the starhot or priceline/hotwire rate. But when I check in and get an upgrade, I'd be thrilled. I never said anything about expecting or whatever the case may be. I said request which does not mean a guarantee and if one was available, perhaps they would provide great service to make a memorable experience. If they said none was available, I would not cry about it. Certainly a GM would not be angry about the reasoning for the upgrade. Again, an upgrade DOES NOT mean a suite. An upgrade can mean an enhanced room with a view or a corner room, etc. It's humorous to me that people here think an upgrade only applies to suites, and we all know thats not necessarily true. There are hotels that do not even have suites, but a room on the executive floor, etc. And again, no rate prevents one from being upgraded. I mean, if a guest had a bad stay and a hotel wanted to make up for it by upgrading someone, what are they supposed to say? Sorry but your rate prevents me from upgrading you but here are some things to make your stay better. That's just not the case.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If hotels do honeymoon upgrades, some will have honeymoon ten times a year.

Some may even become fast friends with Starwood employees and take honeymoon trips all the time.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...ds-family.html
Old Feb 21, 2011, 8:42 am
Suspended

Actually there are some resorts where most of their guests are on their honeymoon.

Hey, why not offer anyone on their honeymoon a free stay ! I am sure they will be thrilled and will return for a second (free) honeymoon !

Perhaps some posters should get out of their 'honeymoon' cocoon & live in the real world. And if (s)he actually managed to get employed in a hotel, (s)he will soon realise that 'honeymoon' is not all that special but the hotel may not be in business anymore by then ...

Last edited by mario33; Feb 21, 2011 at 8:47 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.