Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Starhot rate (for family of employees) not eligible for Starpoints or elite benefits

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Starhot rate (for family of employees) not eligible for Starpoints or elite benefits

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2011, 11:34 am

My brother-in-law is a Starwood employee so my wife will be eligible for the StarHOT rate. We're planning to travel down to Florida and would like to stay at the Westin Diplomat Spa & Resort. Are StarHOT guests entitled to the 50% discount on food & beverage in the various restaurants on the resort? The brother-in-law will NOT be travelling with us. The food price is fairly steep at this resort so the 50% would help out a lot if they honour it.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 12:14 pm

Programs: spg gold, CO Platinum, MR Gold
Originally Posted by alem25
My brother-in-law is a Starwood employee so my wife will be eligible for the StarHOT rate. We're planning to travel down to Florida and would like to stay at the Westin Diplomat Spa & Resort. Are StarHOT guests entitled to the 50% discount on food & beverage in the various restaurants on the resort? The brother-in-law will NOT be travelling with us. The food price is fairly steep at this resort so the 50% would help out a lot if they honour it.

Thanks in advance.
if you are eligible for the starhot rate, you are also eligible for the 50% discount. The discount applies to all meals..
Old Jan 20, 2011, 12:17 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by justspg
...The discount applies to all meals..
Not necessarily. Some hotels and some outlets at some hotels may not participate. However, at the outlets that do participate, there is not a problem getting it for all the meals they serve

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Feb 1, 2011, 3:27 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, HH Diamond,Hyatt Diamond
Starhot and food /drink discounts

I was on a Star Hot at the RH in Oahu and the food discount was limited to certain restaurants. It was not allowed for bar food on the beach, and alcoholic beverages were verboten.

We also could not use it for room service, or at their fancy restaurant. Points were given for the monies we did spend on alcoholic beverages.

The room was garden view, in the historic building. They offered no hope of an upgrade on this rate.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 6:47 am

Smile Help! Starhot + Platinum benefits?

Hi there,
My husband and I will be traveling on his brothers Starhot (employee sibling) rate in March and I am wondering whether we would be able to still receive platinum benefits (we are plat. starwood). I understand from reading the posts that we will not gain points for the stay but how about other perks or upgrades? (i.e. internet access, room upgrade, etc.) Any help would be appreciated--we definitely respect that we are getting a hot rate and do not want to abuse the program so I thought I would ask here.
Thanks!!!
Old Feb 19, 2011, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by travelgirlcanada
Hi there,
My husband and I will be traveling on his brothers Starhot (employee sibling) rate in March and I am wondering whether we would be able to still receive platinum benefits (we are plat. starwood). I understand from reading the posts that we will not gain points for the stay but how about other perks or upgrades? (i.e. internet access, room upgrade, etc.) Any help would be appreciated--we definitely respect that we are getting a hot rate and do not want to abuse the program so I thought I would ask here.
Thanks!!!
I don't think you get any of the perks of the spg program unless you are paying with an eligible rate. Starhot is not an eligible rate so you may not get all the perks, but you might get lucky and the front desk agent will provide you free internet and club access.

please see this thread for more details..http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...-benefits.html

Last edited by justspg; Feb 19, 2011 at 8:09 am Reason: more info..
Old Feb 19, 2011, 8:22 am
Suspended

I would echo the reply above...definitely do a search before posting a new thread.

Having said that, no, (officially) you would not receive Platinum benefits if you are on a Starhot rate. It doesn't hurt to ask the front desk and maybe they will throw you a bone (maybe internet access or something similar), but they are not required to give you any of the benefits.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 8:23 am

Programs: MARRIOTT LIFETIME TITANIUM ELITE, HYATT LIFETIME GLOBALIST, UAL SILVER, AA EXECUTIVE PLATINUM
I have had the good fortune to use the Starhot rate a few times in the past with different levels of acceptance from the hotels.

The Royal Hawaiian would not budge and gave us the tiniest room that I have ever seen.

The Sheraton in Edinburgh, and the Westin's in Hilton Head and Tucson were more accommodating, offering us club access but I have never gotten a suite upgrade while using the Starhot rate.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 9:58 am

Programs: DL PM, SW, Hilton, , UAL PM, AA Gold-skeptic
Originally Posted by Vinodavid
I have had the good fortune to use the Starhot rate a few times in the past with different levels of acceptance from the hotels.

The Royal Hawaiian would not budge and gave us the tiniest room that I have ever seen.

The Sheraton in Edinburgh, and the Westin's in Hilton Head and Tucson were more accommodating, offering us club access but I have never gotten a suite upgrade while using the Starhot rate.
From my understanding, the Starhot is a fraction of the hotel's going rate, and is intended to be a benefit for employees (and extended to immediate family). I would think that the rate is pretty much aligned with the actual "cost" of the room. To expect (or even request) anything over and above a standard room, IMHO, is in poor taste. Not unlike flying on a buddy pass, then asking for an upgrade, miles, segments, etc.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by rrz518
From my understanding, the Starhot is a fraction of the hotel's going rate, and is intended to be a benefit for employees (and extended to immediate family). I would think that the rate is pretty much aligned with the actual "cost" of the room. To expect (or even request) anything over and above a standard room, IMHO, is in poor taste. Not unlike flying on a buddy pass, then asking for an upgrade, miles, segments, etc.
You may be right, but what if you had a friend or family member who worked for starwood and you were going on your honeymoon or having a special occasion? upgrades may be in poor taste but there are events where upgrades are not in poor taste.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You may be right, but what if you had a friend or family member who worked for starwood and you were going on your honeymoon or having a special occasion? upgrades may be in poor taste but there are events where upgrades are not in poor taste.
Why do you book Starhot rate into the cheapest room for honeymoon?
Old Feb 19, 2011, 10:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
what if you had a friend or family member who worked for starwood and you were going on your honeymoon or having a special occasion?
Then you have a choice - a nearly free room, or an upgraded room.

upgrades may be in poor taste but there are events where upgrades are not in poor taste.
No, upgrades aren't in poor taste. But expecting (and even worse, arguing about) an upgrade is always in poor taste.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by TerryK
Why do you book Starhot rate into the cheapest room for honeymoon?
2 words, save money. Not only that but you get discounted food and bev at participating hotel restaurants... and you would not necessarily be booking a cheap room.. you get a standard room and put a note in the reservation that you are on your honeymoon and if you get the right people to look at it, they will give you a complimentary upgrade along with amenities, especially if you notify them in advance.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 11:06 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum (LTG), Hilton Gold, United 1K, AA EXP, AS MVP 75K
2 words, save money. Not only that but you get discounted food and bev at participating hotel restaurants... and you would not necessarily be booking a cheap room.. you get a standard room and put a note in the reservation that you are on your honeymoon and if you get the right people to look at it, they will give you a complimentary upgrade along with amenities, especially if you notify them in advance.
I get where you are coming from regarding saving money, but even for a special occasion such as your honeymoon, I don't feel a hotel needs to go above and beyond when staying on a super discounted rate. That mindset can only lead to disappointment which is the last thing anyone wants for such a special event.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

2 words, save money..
It is your honeymoon we are talking about, right?

...you would not necessarily be booking a cheap room.. you get a standard room...
Standard room is the cheapest room.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.