Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Starhot rate (for family of employees) not eligible for Starpoints or elite benefits

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Starhot rate (for family of employees) not eligible for Starpoints or elite benefits

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2009, 9:58 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by mario33
Question is whether Starfriend rates earn points/stay credit.
No, it doesn't.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Mar 31, 2009, 10:13 pm

I understand that its for employees and their immediate families but I can't seem to recall if the employee has to travel with us too? IF they don't doesn't that leave a big space for discrepancy? Not to mention, non US employees. Does this mean that there are just a whole bunch of loopholes all over the place?
Old Mar 31, 2009, 11:10 pm

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by bettymak
I understand that its for employees and their immediate families but I can't seem to recall if the employee has to travel with us too? IF they don't doesn't that leave a big space for discrepancy? Not to mention, non US employees. Does this mean that there are just a whole bunch of loopholes all over the place?
Dear bettymak,

Greetings.

Albeit all the confusing advices you have been given, mine would be:

STARHOT rates require the employee to be present together with paper documentation from the HR department of the employee.

STARFRIEND rates do not require the employee to be present but paper documentation from is mandatory.

Do not hesitate to write to me if you have any other enquiries.

[email protected]

Thyetus Lee | Online Forum Coordinator(AP)
Starwood Customer Contact Centre (AP) Pte Ltd
Old Apr 1, 2009, 1:58 am
tyn

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker II
Dear bettymak,
STARHOT rates require the employee to be present together with paper documentation from the HR department of the employee.
Incorrect. Certain family members as detailed in the policy can travel on Starhot even if the employee is not travelling with them. Paper documentation is of course mandatory.
Old Apr 1, 2009, 2:19 am

Originally Posted by tyn
Incorrect. Certain family members as detailed in the policy can travel on Starhot even if the employee is not travelling with them. Paper documentation is of course mandatory.
Dear tyn,

Greetings.

That's right.

STARHOT rates are only for employees and their family members. Employees are to submit names of family members to their respective HR department. Documentation is still necessary.

[email protected]

Old Apr 1, 2009, 7:22 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Welcome to FlyerTalk, bettymak!
Old Apr 1, 2009, 11:41 am

Let me get this straight. So my brother that works for a Sheraton in the UK, for example, will need to provide his HR all the names of the people in his immediate family (including me) and when I tell him that I would like to book a hotel in say, San Francisco, HR would then be able to present to me something that would allow for me to check-in in San Francisco without him being there? What if there are time constraints that would now allow me to get this original document from him? I would think a faxed copy would not work? He's trying to get a hold of his HR and it seems a little hard, because he works nights. Therefore any help here would be great.
Old Apr 1, 2009, 12:03 pm

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Let me get this straight. So my brother that works for a Sheraton in the UK, for example, will need to provide his HR all the names of the people in his immediate family (including me) and when I tell him that I would like to book a hotel in say, San Francisco, HR would then be able to present to me something that would allow for me to check-in in San Francisco without him being there?
You will need a letter of introduction from your brother's property on their letterhead for each and every person checking in under the Starhot rate. He does not have to be present. You only need this letter. He does not have to give them a comprehensive list up front of all his qualifying relatives...only of those traveling at a given time.

What if there are time constraints that would now allow me to get this original document from him? I would think a faxed copy would not work? He's trying to get a hold of his HR and it seems a little hard, because he works nights. Therefore any help here would be great.
Anything less than the actual letter of introduction would have to be agreed to by the hotel in question in advance. If they do not agree to an alternative, then my suggestion is this...have your brother go to HR during their business hours to get the letter(s)...then have him overnight them to you so you can take them with you at check-in.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Apr 2, 2009, 9:38 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat, AC, DL Plat, Amtrk SE, AmEx Plat, Bonvoy Plat (via SPG), HH Gold, Accor Plat, WOH Dis
Let me get this straight. So my brother that works for a Sheraton in the UK, for example, will need to provide his HR all the names of the people in his immediate family (including me) and when I tell him that I would like to book a hotel in say, San Francisco, HR would then be able to present to me something that would allow for me to check-in in San Francisco without him being there? What if there are time constraints that would now allow me to get this original document from him? I would think a faxed copy would not work? He's trying to get a hold of his HR and it seems a little hard, because he works nights. Therefore any help here would be great.
Sorry to be rude here, but are you really complaining about the STARHOT policy? With all due respect, if you don't like the restrictions in place to prevent abuse of this program, then feel free to book standard rates where you will not have to comply to these policies...of course, you will also have to pay standard prices.

This is a very nice program that Starwood puts out for their employees, and one that my family and I benefited from greatly when I worked there. This program allows these associates to travel to places they may not otherwise be able to afford.
Old Apr 2, 2009, 10:02 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat, AC, DL Plat, Amtrk SE, AmEx Plat, Bonvoy Plat (via SPG), HH Gold, Accor Plat, WOH Dis
Originally Posted by DCBob
Is an employee's registered domestic partner (i.e., relationship officially recognized by the state, such as in CA, DC, and VT) eligible for the Starhot rate?
William, correct me if I'm wrong, but the employee's domestic partnership does not have to be recognized by the state for them to be eligible for the rate, right? IIFC, it simply needs to be a domestic partner, as recognized by the benefit program. When I worked for Starwood, domestic partners were required to complete a form (and have it notarized) that stated they were in an exclusive relationship that was intended to be permanent and they lived together for a year or more.

I bring this up because I think this is an important distinction for the GLBT community, as some of us don't live in progressive states that recognize our relationships. I think it speaks volumes about Starwood's policy that they recognize the importance of equality in the workplace, regardless of the restrictions the state places on them.

Starwood's treatment of their Gay and Lesbian employees are one of the reasons I remain loyal to the company.
Old Apr 2, 2009, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BosTravel
William, correct me if I'm wrong, but the employee's domestic partnership does not have to be recognized by the state for them to be eligible for the rate, right? IIFC, it simply needs to be a domestic partner, as recognized by the benefit program.
That's how the terms read:
Family Discounted Room Rates: Discounted room rates will be made available to immediate family members of eligible associates. Immediate family consists of a spouse, domestic partner*, children, siblings, parents and parents-in-laws. Family members receive the same benefit, whether or not they accompany the associate. Discounted rooms for family members are considered part of the associate’s 25-room night allotment. Any associate who misrepresents the eligibility of an individual to obtain a discount, to which that individual is not otherwise entitled, is subject to discipline, up to and including termination of employment.
* As defined in our benefit plans
http://www.starwoodhotels.com/promot...Y_CORP_STARHOT
Old Apr 3, 2009, 12:44 am

Originally Posted by BosTravel
William, correct me if I'm wrong, but the employee's domestic partnership does not have to be recognized by the state for them to be eligible for the rate, right?
Dear BosTravel,

Greetings.

In countries like Singapore, same sex marriages aren't legalized at the moment(maybe decades later) which leaves the tricky part where there isn't a official document to serve as a "recognition" when compared to heterosexual marriages.

Another point to note is that the term "domestic partners" apply to every one, regardless of sexual orientation. Therefore, if one employee tends to switch "partners" regularly, it gets difficult to define the eligibility.

Hence, I am afraid I would not be able to provide any straightforward answer to your query. Not sure if William is able to.

The best definition would come from the HR departments of individual employees. It might be a condition that two parties must be staying together for at least a year or two or otherwise.

One thing I am pretty certain is that if you would like your domestic partner to enjoy the STARHOT rates and benefits, you should submit his/her names to respective HR departments.

[email protected]

Old May 3, 2009, 8:11 pm

Hello~ My son is a Starwoods employee, and I'll be traveling to a conference and sharing a room with a colleague next month. Can I use the rate even though she's not related-- as long as I make the reservation?

Thanks...
Old May 3, 2009, 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by samson803
Hello~ My son is a Starwoods employee, and I'll be traveling to a conference and sharing a room with a colleague next month. Can I use the rate even though she's not related-- as long as I make the reservation?

Thanks...
Dearest samson803,

Greetings.

As long as the reservation is made under your name and you have with you, the authorisation form and your passport when checking in, that should be alright.

[email protected]

Old Apr 20, 2010, 11:48 pm

Unhappy SilverHOT or Legacy Card

5 or 6 years ago my mother retired from a Westin Hotel after working for them for 34 years. Yes, that is a very long time. When she retired she was told retired employees were no longer eligible for hotel discounts, as they had been in years past. Recently on this site I read about StarHot or Legacy rates. I called the HR department of the hotel where she was employed. They confirmed they have reinstated discounts (Legacy Rates ), but because my mom retired before 2009 she is not entitled to anything even after working for the company for 34 years. This sounds so unfair. I have since found a document on the internet dating back to 2007 which refers to "SilverHot" rates for retired associates. It would be great if any body had some input or information on this. Also, any ideas of who I should address this with on a higher level where perhaps she can be issued a "Legacy Card".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.