Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Palace Madrid, Spain [Master Thread]

Westin Palace Madrid, Spain [Master Thread]

Old Feb 27, 2009, 2:17 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
I posted this in the LM Barcelona master thread but thought i would post it here as well:

I am Gold and am planning a tenth anniversary trip to Spain for my wife and I as that is where we started out honeymoon. We will likely split a ten day trip using Barcelona and Madrid as our bases.

Therefore, given the fact that this property is moving down to a Cat 5 in Mar/09 and the Westin Palace in Madrid is already a Cat 5 I was wondering which you would suggest if you had to pick one or the other?

Thanks
Old Mar 3, 2009, 9:27 am

Programs: M&M SEN, BA GGL, Bonvoy LTT, WoH Explorist
Thumbs down huge disappointment

Just completed my first stay there. As a long-time Plat, and reading the discussion here, my expectations were high. Well....

I was 'upgraded' to a 'city-view premium room on the SPG floor, newly renovated'. This turned out to be a small room. The 'view' might have been nice - if the windows hadn't been small, and high under the ceiling. When looking at the hotel from outside, I saw that only the SPG (6th) floor has these tiny windows - all other floors have large windows. Great pick for the SPG floor. There was only a curtain-shower, too, which I dislike. The TV was at least 10 years old (maybe 'newly renovated').

The only Platinum recognition was the amenity - I chose a bottle of wine. There was nothing else (greeting card, fruit, etc). There was also no apparent interest in me as a guest (no greeting, etc).

I was stunned - there was no turndown service either. Quite surprising for a hotel of this class/price.

I was looking forward to telling them about my disappointment at check-out. However, they didn't even dare asking whether I enjoyed my stay. They probably knew the answer.

I was staying at the Best available Rate with Breakfast.

A huge thumbs down for this stay.
Old Mar 4, 2009, 11:20 am

Programs: US Chairmans, AA Lifetime Gold, SPG Platinum
The Palace in Madrid does turndown during the Spanish dinner hour, which is 10pm to midnight, so if you were in your room before 10 you may not have received the service...IIRC they pretty much do two full housekeeping services daily and housekeeping was actually a strength of the hotel.
Old Mar 5, 2009, 1:27 am

Programs: M&M SEN, BA GGL, Bonvoy LTT, WoH Explorist
Originally Posted by dankyone
The Palace in Madrid does turndown during the Spanish dinner hour, which is 10pm to midnight, so if you were in your room before 10 you may not have received the service...IIRC they pretty much do two full housekeeping services daily and housekeeping was actually a strength of the hotel.
I left the room around 8pm and came back around 1am, so there should have been plenty of time.

I was told later that the Russian PM (or at least parts of the delegation) was/were staying at the hotel at the same time, so this might explain why service was off. However, I must say, a hotel of this (price) class should be able to keep the service level up...otherwise do not accept my reservation...
Old Apr 9, 2009, 4:06 am

Location: London (UK), Kolkata (India), and a part of the Netherlands you wouldn't like to visit (aka Purmerend)!
Programs: IC Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by banzani
I was told later that the Russian PM (or at least parts of the delegation) was/were staying at the hotel at the same time, so this might explain why service was off. However, I must say, a hotel of this (price) class should be able to keep the service level up...otherwise do not accept my reservation...
I have always had a good experience there, except one time in 2000, when the Back Street Boys were staying there. The staff were at the time, not very concerned with guests.....only with pulling out teenagers hiding in the loos, and other teens walking through corridors searching for the alleged singers.

The hotel had teens camped out outside 24 hours for the couple of nights our stay lasted.

Though, on check out, they apologised for any trouble and presented us with two robes.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 6:46 pm

Programs: AA - LFT GLD 1MM, UA - 2P, SPG - LFT Plat, Hyatt - Plat, HH - Gold, Avis - CHM
just came back from a stay here. we were upgraded to a junior suite -- we stayed on thursday and friday and no one famous that we knew of was there, which might explain how the upgrade was done so easily. the location is great, literally across teh street from the prado and just a 15 minute walk to palacio real. turndown/housekeeping was suspect though. when we first checked into the room, notcied a half finished bottle of water on the table. complained about it to reception, not sure he understood what i meant. didnt get anymore water after that and had to call down to get water the second day -- to their credit they brought up one giant bottle of water instead of two tiny ones. concierge experience was also so-so. the younger ones seemed most interested in helping as well as giving the best help. the two older ones seemed uninterested and also gave us either bad or unhelpful information. we look young, so that may have had something to do with it.
Old May 15, 2009, 10:19 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Diamond, NK Gold, Mariott LT Plat/Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
I stayed a few nights at this hotel earlier this week. The hotel was great. I recommend this property both for location (close to everything) and for the beautiful facility. The staff were all very friendly. We arrived at 11 a.m. and they had a very nice room on the SPG floor ready for us (Im Preferred Plus...soon to be Gold). Free bottles of water each day and coffee/tea and apples in the morning. The woman at the checkin desk said that breakfast was included with my stay, but we never took advantage of it. The gym is also very clean and new...shaving kits and other amenities in the locker room. Apparently, you also get 30 minutes free Internet access each day in the Business Center, which was a nice perk. Overall, a great hotel and great room. The SPG floor is very nicely decorated and my room had been recently remodeled. I also requested late checkout and was granted until 4 p.m. without any problems. Im currently at the Westin Valencia (off to LM Barcelona tomorrow) and will report on my stays soon.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 10:33 am

If I'm planning on staying in this hotel in Nov, what would be my best bet of getting a good rate? I'm seeing Euro 230+ right now which is out of league.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 9:23 am

I found last week a EUR 160 pre-paid rate incl breakfast for July. Maybe you can wait a bit before booking (of course the price could also go up).
Old Jun 17, 2009, 11:58 am

Programs: AA PP, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Nat ExecElite, WN CP
Check for Cash and Points. Just booked a 4 night stay in October
Old Jun 17, 2009, 12:20 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, MTA Rust, Hertz Five Star something or other
FYI I don't believe this property has loaded C+P yet for 2010. I booked it for NYE and then it wasn't available for the following weekend. Called Plat concierge and she told me it wasn't uploaded yet and to check back in September. Just a FYI for those looking for C+P in 2010.

GREAT HOTEL!
Old Jun 28, 2009, 5:40 pm

Programs: Delta,SPG, Hyatt
Originally Posted by pitbrian
FYI I don't believe this property has loaded C+P yet for 2010. I booked it for NYE and then it wasn't available for the following weekend. Called Plat concierge and she told me it wasn't uploaded yet and to check back in September. Just a FYI for those looking for C+P in 2010.

GREAT HOTEL!
I just asked this question in the C&P thread! The prices in October 2009 are crazy! Does anyone know if something is going on the week of the 11th? Every week except the week of Oct 11th has points and C&P options. Any reason why...only the National holiday that week so not sure what is going on!

Appreciate any insights to make our trip better... haven't stayed here and am looking forward to our first stay!
Am making a call on Monday to see if SPG can help.

UPDATE!! CALLED AND GOT ONE CASH STAY, ONE CASH AND POINTS, AND AM WAITING FOR ONE DAY TO OPEN UP!! THANKS TO LADY BEHIND THE PHONE AT SPG!!! THIS IS WHY I LOVE STARWOODS!

Thanks

Last edited by singtx; Jun 28, 2009 at 7:28 pm Reason: update
Old Jul 23, 2009, 4:58 am

I'm back from the hotel, I spent a few days there and am Gold thanks to my *wood AX.

I was on the Preferred Guest floor but no upgrade (I know it is not a given for a gold with very few stays though). "Deluxe" room, which is the basic one. At least the room was given to me as soon as I came (8:30 AM, we were leaving very early on the last day too though). Nothing special, courtyard facing so very quiet but no view.

The room was clean... but that's it. Internet did not work well (and cost EUR 18 a day, I asked for one day to be refunded at checkout and got it). Water service was irregular, it worked half the time, the other days we took water bottles from the fridge, EUR 6 each (for 50cl)! Amenities were OK but nothing special. Nice breakfast (included in the pre-paid rate), but stopping service at 11AM is a bit early given the Spanish lifestyle. In-room breakfast is continental, sort of included in the rate (EUR 5 surcharge for delivery).

There never was a turn-down service. Not once.

Overall it is a nice place, nice bed, nice shower, nice breakfast, great location if you want to visit Madrid. Nice but not outstanding. I would not pay too much for it. EUR 200 per room per night max.

Last edited by af fp; Jul 23, 2009 at 5:47 am
Old Jul 23, 2009, 5:52 am

Just to add, we asked the concierge for a good paella, he sent us to La Baracca, an OK place, not too expensive (maybe EUR 45 a head) but tourist-geared.

Another night we went for a Wallpaper guide address and went to Club 31... very expense account, good food but EUR 100 a head hurts. It was not our first choice but they others were fully booked, in hindsight maybe the Concierge could have helped here.

Overall the most satisfying meals were in the restaurants and tapas bars in Calle de las Huertas behind the hotel. Great crowd there too.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Da Amb, Hyatt Glob
Getting to hotel from MAD

Anyone have any recommendations on getting to the hotel from the airport? How much for a cab? Any cheaper public transportation alternatives?

I will be there for 1 night in Sept (using my FWN award). Combining this with my $170 airfare from Calgary to Madrid, so trying to keep costs down in the spirit of an el cheapo mileage run.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.