Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Palace Madrid, Spain [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Palace Madrid, Spain [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2007, 6:14 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Originally Posted by Ducatibiker
Hotel is currently under renovation and extremely noisy - any floor but the worse are the upper floors
Oh joy - I'm there tomorrow night and then from Sunday evening for a couple of nights. Hopefully it is just happening in normal working hours?

Noticeably I can't find any mention of the renovations on the hotel page, which they normally put up when a fair bit of work is underway.
Old Oct 2, 2007, 8:32 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
While staying there on Sept 9-12, we encountered no noise problems. We had an interior room facing the courtyard. There was scaffolding on one short outside part of the building, but I never noticed construction on it during our stay.

Nice place, but nothing noteworthy about our reservation. Award stay booked before the category increased at the beginning of the year. Upgrade to the SPG floor, but not a suite.

Breakfast was not provided.
Old Nov 8, 2007, 8:31 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum,Starwood Platinum,Priority Club Platinum,Hilton Diamond,Hyatt Diamond,AA Exec Plat
I spent my birthday weekend in Madrid at the Westin Palace (Oct. 12-15) and as a plat received a upgrade to a junior suite. The staff was extremely attentive and very helpful. With regards to the construction, I did not notice any noise during my stay... but then again I didn't spend too much time in my room during the day. The depreciation of the dollar can make this property quite expensive (expect to pay $30++ for a drink in their bar), but given the central location and friendly staff I am sure you will enjoy your stay. Only a 2 minute walk to the Prado, and 5 minutes to the Reina Sofia and Museo del Jamon
Old Mar 30, 2008, 1:47 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA, Hawaiian, Alaska
I just returned from a wonderful stay at this property. 6 nights in a junior suite, at check-in I was offered ( I'm just a lowly SPG Gold) an upgrade to an executive suite, but I turned down the upgrade as it was on the only smoking floor in the building.

Highlights:

Of the six floors only the second floor is designated a smoking floor.

We checked in at around 2:30 pm but our room wasn't ready, they gave us a standard room to relax in and take a quick nap while our room was being prepared, took about 45 minutes.

We were given an amenity every day, it seemed a bit much, wine on 2 days, sparkling wine on one day, a huge fruit basket on one day, chocolates one day, cheese and jamon on another. It was always in our room when we returned from our afternoon sight seeing.

The Jr Suite was ample in size, king sized bed (a little hard, we had them place a couple of comforters on the mattress as a pad), nice closet, great bath with big shower. My only complaint was that the connecting door to the room next door allowed noise to come through, and our neighbors stayed up later than we did. The HVAC worked well. Good high speed connection, expensive if it is not in your rate, I think 18.95 euro per day, ouch! I set up a small wireless network using my Apple Airport and it worked great. As a side note our iPhones worked well, I bought the data package from AT&T and didn't have any issues.

The breakfast was good, a lot of fruit and cheeses and cereals. we didn't have any hot items but they did look good, service was quick and efficient, expensive it is not in your rate.

The lobby bar is excellent for afternoon tea or a pre-dinner cocktail, good service, great tapas/munchies, but as others have commented it is expensive, but in relation to where you are staying it wasn't a big deal. I certainly would not spend a night of drinking here.

The concierge made dinner reservations for us on three nights, two of the places where of our own choosing, Moroccan and Indian, and one night they made reservations at a place of their suggestion, Loft 39, very trendy and high tech, it was a great dinner. I was a little worried because I had read some bad reviews about the concierge selections.

We ate at the Asia Gallery restaurant one night, it was good, but not that different from Chinese food we get here in Oregon, just a little more upscale.

In the mornings they had a coffee and tea station set up in the lobby of our floor with an espresso machine, nice!

It was close to everything, the museums, old Madrid, Salamanca for shopping, and Chueca for nightlife.

As a gay couple we never felt anything but welcomed everywhere we traveled in the city and the staff at the hotel was great.

Downside:

It is a big hotel, a mix of businessmen/women, conferences and tourists, so it can be a bit hectic.

My own stupidity - don't travel to Europe during spring break!
Old May 14, 2008, 11:09 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
I was very disappointed with the Palace
Madrid in regards to Platinum recognition.
They said- nada!
Other Platinums experienced the same?
Old May 14, 2008, 2:22 pm

Platinum upgrade

We were back this March and received a very nice upgrade to a suite. We also showed up at about 9:30 am in the morning (straight off the plane) and were delighted that the room was available immediately. We had a very pleasant stay there, once again!
Old May 14, 2008, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
I'm guessing that if you're staying for forty quid per night you can't expect too much recognition...

http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=9723890
Old May 14, 2008, 2:53 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Originally Posted by Didi
Other Platinums experienced the same?
Stayed twice, upgraded to a fantastic suite both times. Excellent hotel and well set up to deal with Plats. (Welcome letters, a real effort to greet Plats, free drinks on arrival etc)

One of my favourite hotels so far, so I would recommend it. ^
Old May 18, 2008, 10:57 am

We just completed a four night stay using SPG Points at the Westin Palace Madrid and were very satisfied. We arrived at about noon, and were promptly checked in and assigned room 533. The desk clerk recognized my status as a Platinum, but told me no suites were available, and asked what my preferences were for a room. Finally after spending a few minutes she assigned us to the room after commenting that it was one of the best in the hotel. I told her I was dissapointed that I did not get 521,523 that Fly CO To See The Yanks spoke so highly about. She asked how I knew about 521,523 if I had not stayed at the hotel previously, and I told her Flyer Talk! She did ask me which of the ammenties I wanted, and as always I took the Points. (Are points awarded for stays made using points)

The hotel is trapezoid shaped and takes the entire irregular-shaped block, and on the 5th floor, 5 rooms located between 523 and 535 have the best views overlooking the Ritz Hotel and the Prado. Needless to say, the view was spectacular, and the room was large. Two other sides of the hotel open on narrow streets, so the view is not so appealing. The 6th floor was the SPG floor, so staying one floor below, we had the usual Westin bath ammenities, rather than Moutin Brown which was reported as being on the SPG floor. We did have a coffee-expresso machine along with apples and tea in a small sitting area near the elevator which was similar to that on the SPG floor. As noted by many, breakfast is not included with an award, and there is no SPG lounge where one can catch a fast bite. As recommended by others, we went to the front of the hotel where we had a Starbuck´s breakfast or went down the street to one of the Tapas bars which served typical Spanish breadfasts for far less than the hotel´s 50 buck breakfast. If one is interested in a suite on the 5th floor, the hotel room chart mapped 503, 521-523, 536, and 558 as the suites at least on the floor we were on. Rooms 521-523 and 535 have great views and are located in turrets that extend up the height of the hotel, and indicate that the sides of the hotel are joined at these irregular shaped points.

We followed others recommendations and went to have tapas at Delores, a short block down the street from the back of the hotel. Needless to say we tried almost all the tapas bars located in the three blocks from the back of the hotel, and preferred El Gato to Delores. There were a few others that were excellent as well, but we did not like Ceramica, which like El Gato and Delores are on the internet lists of 10 best tapas bars in Madrid.

Service in the hotel was fine, and only once did I have to call for additional services, as our TV kept flickering on and off. The repair person told us it was the weather, as satelite communciation of International chanels was affected when it is cloudy in Madrid. However, I pointed out that the TV set in the coffee sitting area as well as the set in the next room did not experience this problem. Because of the repair person´s insistence, we put up with the TV.

Overall, we were pleased, and would stay at this hotel again if and when we return to Madrid.
Old May 19, 2008, 5:57 am

Programs: BA GGL, SQ PPS, HH Diamond, SPG LTP/100, Marriott Platinum, Mucci des Lois Constitutionelles
Hi all

Can I please have some recommendations for the best room numbers for:

(i) junior suites; and

(ii) executive suites

I am staying in the hotel this coming weekend (the first time in this particular property), booked into a junior suite and am hoping for a nice upgrade!

Kind regards
/MHL
Old May 19, 2008, 8:56 am

I only looked at the room chart for the 5th floor, but it looked to me that 521/523 would be one of the best. Fly CO to See The Yanks recommended this room in an earlier post. The second choice would be 535. I think both are Executive Suites, and both have the best views the hotel's suites can offer from the 5th floor. I would suspect that the 6th floor would be similar, maybe even better than the 5th floor as it is an SPG floor. Only the second floor is smoking, and and an OP mentioned that the first floor was a tad noisy. Even on the 5th floor I heard a celebration outside on the traffic circle at 1 AM, and I got up and went down to join those celebrating the soccer championship. My third choice would be 503.
Old May 27, 2008, 6:17 pm

Programs: BA GGL, SQ PPS, HH Diamond, SPG LTP/100, Marriott Platinum, Mucci des Lois Constitutionelles
I've just returned from three days in this hotel. My advice for anyone giving instructions to a taxi driver is to call it the Palace, not the Westin Palace, as the taxi drivers (and apparently the locals) never refer to the full hotel brand.

I was upgraded from junior suite to executive suite - and given room 303. The suite consisted of an oval-shaped living room (as was the case with the other two executive suites on the third floor - I can't speak about other floors as I didn't see any other floor plans) with a reasonably-sized dining room table , a marble-floored lobby and corridor (with a seperate guest toilet / sink) leading to a large bedroom with a big en suite bathroom (seperate shower and toilet / bidet cubicles).

The double glazing isn't great so I'd recommend a higher floor than the third if you have any choice. I didn't ask if there was an executive lounge as I didn't really need one, but would have assumed that the reception staff would have told me of its existence if there was one.

Overall, the service was pretty good. The concierge gave me the details of two very good restaurants within short walking distance of the hotel.

I'd definitely recommend this hotel.

Shame the weather was rubbish...
Old Jun 1, 2008, 9:10 am

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
Originally Posted by MileHighLawyer
I didn't ask if there was an executive lounge as I didn't really need one, but would have assumed that the reception staff would have told me of its existence if there was one.

(
I am a regular stayer at the Palace and, no, there definitely isn't a lounge. Mind you who would want to be stuffed away in a SPG lounge when there is that glorious stained glass dome roof to sit under in the main lounge? The only downside is that occasionally the main lounge is closed off when Christies rent it for a fine arts auction!

The other downside is that being across the street from the Congreso and Senate you sometimes get flooded with TV crews and celebrities!
Old Jun 1, 2008, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by OPebble
I am a regular stayer at the Palace and, no, there definitely isn't a lounge. Mind you who would want to be stuffed away in a SPG lounge when there is that glorious stained glass dome roof to sit under in the main lounge? The only downside is that occasionally the main lounge is closed off when Christies rent it for a fine arts auction!

The other downside is that being across the street from the Congreso and Senate you sometimes get flooded with TV crews and celebrities!
Thanks. I assume you're Platinum / Gold? If so, how often do you get upgraded to an executive suite?

Cheers
/MHL
Old Jun 1, 2008, 5:00 pm

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by OPebble

However, to sit under the glorius stained glass dome roof and have breakfast is priced at about $50, based on how poorly the dollar is doing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.