Wiki Posts
Search

Aloft Asheville, NC [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2013, 7:41 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Arrow Aloft Asheville, NC [Master Thread]

Stayed here last night (March 15), leaving Sunday March 17.

While I slept well, can't help but thinking I'd rather be somewhere else, even non-SPG.

This plays tries way too hard. Like visual and mental overload. Too many colors, too much cheap furniture, too much tacky faux-art.

Why does SPG, with their Aloft brand, think that marketing to the 20-30 somethings equates with being tacky.

I'll say this...the downtown location can't be beat.

Staff has been friendly, with the exception of the woman who checked us in.

They guard their Bliss amenities like they're worth their weight in gold.

Will report back after I leave on Sunday.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 8:55 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
I had a one night stay here last month, and would return. The location can't be beat-- everything downtown is within walking distance. I parked the car in the garage and did not retrieve it until I checked out.

My stay was probably influenced by the fact that I had a very unmemorable stay at a mediocre Courtyard property the night before, but considering these two flags are both supposed to compete in the select service market, the difference between the two was night and day.

I'm Gold at Marriott (the 50 night/year level) and elites get nothing at Courtyard properties. CYs are even in the process of removing the free coffee from their lobbies in the morning. I'm only Gold at Starwood, and got, in addition to the free drink I chose as my welcome amenity, a card for a complimentary coffee each day of my stay. I also really appreciated the fact that the property has glass carafes in the rooms and a station on each floor that dispenses filtered water. I'm not sure if the filtered water is a brand standard for aloft or property specific-- but in any case it was great to not feel nickel and dimed by a property.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 4:44 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Just got back from three nights at the Aloft. General thoughts:

1) With the exception of one very rude member of the staff (incidentally, the person checking me in), everyone was friendly.

2) Nobody seemed to understand the SPG program.

3) Loud noises (construction) all day, for the duration of my stay. I said something, the woman at the desk called the manager, and I got 1,000 points for the disruption.

4) Stingy on the bath products.

5) Great Philips TV, but oddly, many channels weren't working (no Travel Channel?!). Staff didn't seem to know/care.

6) Slept well. All in all a pleasant stay.

7) Location cannot be beat.

That being said, I probably won't come back here. I really just don't like this brand. (This says less about Aloft, more about my taste when it comes to hotel stays.) It's tacky--obnoxiously so. With the exception of the bed, the furniture is cheap and uncomfortable. Staff is too young and inexperienced regarding the SPG system and how it works. Usually I wouldn't care, but it's just not my style. I'd rather a Westin or Sheraton.
Old Nov 24, 2013, 2:12 am

Any recent update?

I'm here in Dec and wondering if it's better staying here or @ the Indigo?
What is offered as PLT Breakfast amenity here?

Thanks
Old Nov 24, 2013, 7:05 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
I've stayed twice this year. Nice property.

As a PLT I had two rooms booked, both were upgraded to an top floor mountain view room with tiny balconies. As a Gold I was received a top floor with a good view.

Staff was all great and I received appropriate recognition.

Up the hill on the left is a good noodle/Thai restaurant.

For breakfast try the place across the street. Can't remember the name, some sort of bakery.
Old Nov 24, 2013, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by Gamecock
I've stayed twice this year. Nice property.

As a PLT I had two rooms booked, both were upgraded to an top floor mountain view room with tiny balconies. As a Gold I was received a top floor with a good view.

Staff was all great and I received appropriate recognition.

Up the hill on the left is a good noodle/Thai restaurant.

For breakfast try the place across the street. Can't remember the name, some sort of bakery.
What is offered as Plt breakfast ?
Old Nov 24, 2013, 1:21 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Pretty sure they just give you a coupon for the coffeeshop-esque stand in the lobby.

Asheville is a town full of good breakfast options. Even if I had a free breakfast option, I wouldn't take it.

Head over to Tupelo Honey Cafe (walking distance) for some amazing stuff.
Old Nov 24, 2013, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
Originally Posted by pricesquire
Asheville is a town full of good breakfast options. Even if I had a free breakfast option, I wouldn't take it.

Head over to Tupelo Honey Cafe (walking distance) for some amazing stuff.
This. Or better yet, walk up the street to Over Easy cafe--awesome local breakfast options (I like Tupelo, but it's more tourists and less locals, if you care about that sort of thing).

Re: the Indigo, on a paid stay if you have status at both properties, you'll get a lovely upgrade at Indigo if space is available. No upgrades at alofts, although the latter has a slightly better location to walk around downtown.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 12:56 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Interesting article that came across the AP wire today. We have talked about visiting Asheville for a long time and this may very well make our decision a bit easier.

http://news.yahoo.com/hotel-hopes-gu...154114130.html
Old Jan 1, 2015, 6:41 am

Programs: AA Platinum, United silver, SPG Platinum, Avis First
Originally Posted by jibi
Interesting article that came across the AP wire today. We have talked about visiting Asheville for a long time and this may very well make our decision a bit easier.

http://news.yahoo.com/hotel-hopes-gu...154114130.html
That's unfortunate, my wife is badly allergic to dogs so this essentially rules out the hotel for us. While I understand the concept is nice and all, putting it in the reception area and letting people take the dogs in the restaurants is a slap in the face to people with allergies.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 4:15 pm

Programs: UA General Member, AA Gold, SPG (Bonvoy) Gold; IHG Plat. Ambassador
Any recent update on this hotel? Going to be in Asheville, NC next month and trying to decide where to stay.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 6:54 am

Shameless after weekend thread bump. Any recent experiences here? Trying to decide on this or the four points in downtown Asheville.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 9:33 am
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
I had a nice stay here in the fall. Used SNAs to upgrade to a really nice suite, the staff was very nice and the hotel is in the center of everything. It is a typical Aloft though and some may not like the casual atmosphere.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by abk
I had a nice stay here in the fall. Used SNAs to upgrade to a really nice suite, the staff was very nice and the hotel is in the center of everything. It is a typical Aloft though and some may not like the casual atmosphere.
Thanks for this. I don't have any SNAs as an SPG Gold. Booked this one as the location couldn't be beat.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 6:37 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Southwest AL CP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by danhunterpost
Any recent update on this hotel? Going to be in Asheville, NC next month and trying to decide where to stay.
Only updates I see are the Starwood guest reviews which show 3.2 versus 4.3 for the Aloft. I make it a point not to stay anywhere with mostly horrible and current reviews. I'm going in May with pagegirl and booked earlier before point stays at this hotel went up. Please keep us in the loop.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.