Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Westin Chicago River North, Chicago, IL [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Westin Chicago River North, Chicago, IL [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2006, 12:15 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
Bump again - update II

I followed Lurker's advice in December, and sat down one night and wrote a kick-a$$ email to the hotel GM and cc'd *wood customer service. I sent a copy to my corporate travel agent.

The next morning, I got a call from the corporate travel boss, telling me that she was sending my email to the hotel sales rep. An hour later, I got a call from the hotel GM - appropriately apologetic, etc. He promised that they wanted my business - and my company's business - and that the next time I was in the hotel, they would make it up to me.

So, I told him when in January I'd be there. Sure enough, on arrival, they called out the Asst Mgr on Duty to welcome me, and they put me in a huge 3-bay suite, complete with bottle of wine & cheese plate.

Then, I had to be back in CH last week. I booked there again, and travel said that they had been asked to alert the hotel if I was coming. To test things (and since it was only for one night), I told travel NOT to alert the hotel.

I got upgraded to a corner suite (the 03 line is terrific - except for the lousy view). But, the real reason I'm bumping this thread is because of what went wrong on the trip: a waiter at Il Mulino dumped a bown of zabaglione down my back at dinner. I got in to the hotel at midnite, extremely intoxicated, and in a dirty suit. I had a 2pm flight.

At 8am, I woke up and called the concierge. THey did not have a 1-hour dry cleaning service, but they called me 10 minutes later to say that they found out that the dry cleaner across the street would have it ready by noon. They had the cleaner come pick up the suit, and sure enough, it was ready for me at noon.

So, maybe I just caught a run of bad luck the first 2 times...

kudos to the Westin Chicago River North for that one!
Old Mar 8, 2006, 10:07 am

Westin River North update

My wife and I recently stayed at this Westin and had a superb experience. I sent a note via SPG.com indicating our good experience to the GM, Mr. Simoncelli, so I hope he received it, although you know how effective SPG.com can be. Anyway, we lucked into what seemed like a fairly quiet weekend in Chi and received a platinum upgrade to a very nice corner king room on the new "club" floor plus access to the excellent executive lounge on the top floor of the hotel. All in all it was very nice -- we had not stayed at this property in several years (we've tired of the W city center), and needless to say we were impressed. We'll be back at the Westin on our next trip.
Old Mar 12, 2006, 8:50 pm

Programs: AA 1MM/Gold, Marriott Gold
Just back from a weekend at the Westin River North. Really enjoyed the hotel and its location. Beautiful weather in Chicago, so walked everywhere. Didn't know beforehand that the hotel was a former Nikko, but definitely some Asian touches. Nice room, great shower, plasma screen tv. $38 for valet parking (there is a cheaper surface lot right across the street), but didn't know it at the time. Would definitely stay there again.
Old Jun 5, 2006, 8:14 am

Just got back from Chicago, spent the weekend at the Westin River North. Based on the recent posts in this forum, I had high hopes, but the room and the service disappointed me. The electric plugs in the bathroom didn't work at all; the bathroom door handle never would "click" and actually allow me to close the bathroom door; the bathroom could use an air-fan and with all of the black granite/marble/tile work, needs a lot more lighting; the plasma tv had a very fuzzy picture; and the bellhop was downright surly. Plus, to top it off, when I landed at the airport and called the hotel to ask if I could check-in early (by about two hours), I was told that I most certainly could and that my room was available; however, when I got the hotel about 35 minutes later, the reception desk said "oh, no, your room is not available." When I mentioned I just called earlier and was told I would be able to check-in early, the desk guy was adamant that I would not be able to do so. Bottom line for me: Unless they are offering some incredible deal, there is no way I will ever go back there again.
Old Jun 5, 2006, 9:09 am

Programs: DL, SPG (Gold)
Originally Posted by uncertaintraveler
Just got back from Chicago, spent the weekend at the Westin River North. Based on the recent posts in this forum, I had high hopes, but the room and the service disappointed me.
Wow....this is quite different from my experience at this hotel when I spent a weekend there last month.

Granted...my stay wasn't perfect (wrong room type assigned....and an erronious charge appeared on my final bill for honor bar use).

The electric plugs in the bathroom didn't work at all;
Did you press the red reset button on the outlet?

That did the trick for me.

the bathroom door handle never would "click" and actually allow me to close the bathroom door;
Strange.....

the bathroom could use an air-fan and with all of the black granite/marble/tile work, needs a lot more lighting;
I agree with the fan......but I felt the lighting was adequate.

and the bellhop was downright surly.
Heh...

The bellhop who helped me relocate after I requested a room change was quite polite/friendly.....both at that time...and for the duration of my stay whenever we "ran into each other".

Plus, to top it off, when I landed at the airport and called the hotel to ask if I could check-in early (by about two hours), I was told that I most certainly could and that my room was available; however, when I got the hotel about 35 minutes later, the reception desk said "oh, no, your room is not available." When I mentioned I just called earlier and was told I would be able to check-in early, the desk guy was adamant that I would not be able to do so.
That's strange......unless you were upgraded (depending on your status level....if any) to a room that was not available and the initial availability check was based on your original room type.

FWIW, I was able to check in well before noon on a Friday.......and after being given the wrong bed type.....was upgraded 1 level (am only a Gold) to the correct type when I switched rooms.

The only other reason which I can think of as to why you might be denied early check-in is if you don't have any status at all with SPG........as I've seen this happen before to people checking in before me....yet I was given a room.

I will be returing to Chicago at least once more this year.......and will definitely consider this hotel for my next stay (price and availability being the more important factors).

If I'm able to get a similar price as last time ($127+tax per night booked via a SPG website ), it's a no-brainer.

A.J.
Old Jun 5, 2006, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by Bulldog King
Did you press the red reset button on the outlet?

That did the trick for me.
Yep. And the reset button on the hair-drier provided by the hotel. Then I tried using an electric shaver. Tried both outlet plugs. Tried everything I could think of. Ultimately, though, the plugs never worked. So try to avoid Room 1504 if you need to use electrical items in the bathroom.

Originally Posted by Bulldog King
That's strange......unless you were upgraded (depending on your status level....if any) to a room that was not available and the initial availability check was based on your original room type.

FWIW, I was able to check in well before noon on a Friday.......and after being given the wrong bed type.....was upgraded 1 level (am only a Gold) to the correct type when I switched rooms.

The only other reason which I can think of as to why you might be denied early check-in is if you don't have any status at all with SPG........as I've seen this happen before to people checking in before me....yet I was given a room.
I don't have any status with SPG and, as far as I can tell, I wasn't upgraded.

However, it irritated me that the check-in staff tells me one thing over the phone, and then when I arrive, I'm told something else. I suspect I was unable to check-in early (although everyone else around me was allowed to do so) because I got a "Trainee" receptionist, who probably didn't want to do anything even slightly against the rules. Maybe I should have pressed my case more, but I thought the whole thing was pretty annoying.

And...I forgot to add in my original post, out of the 2 electronic keys I was given at check-in, only one of them worked.

The only redeeming things about my stay was the bed and the hotel's location, but there are plenty of other hotels in the surrounding area that have just as good of a location and (probably) just as comfortable as a bed.
Old Jun 8, 2006, 12:30 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
I changed our last stay from the W to the Westin River North after reading posts here. We loved the hotel-- great location, well-appointed room, excellent club floor. We'll definitely stay there next time.

Only complaint was that the front desk acted as if they had never seen an SPG50 before. When they slid our folio under the door it was only for incidentals and was marked "non-revenue stay- bill to Starwood"

Don't worry. I called and straightened it out.
Old Aug 24, 2006, 9:14 pm

Programs: DL 2.8 MM/PM, AA MM/GLD, Marriott LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Be Careful when booking Westin River North Chicago

I got stuck in Chicago for an extra night tonight helping some coworkers on a deadline project. At around 8:30 pm, I decided to pack up at the office and move to a hotel to continue working. I had stayed at the Sheraton Chicago last night and had a crappy room, so I didn't want to go back there tonight.

Using Google, I looked up the local # (312) for the Westin River North ON THEIR OWN PROPERTY WEBSITE fact sheet, called the hotel directly (or so I thought) and was delighted to find they had availability and would give me a AAA rate of $209. I mentioned that I was looking forward to sleeping in a Heavenly Bed tonight and finishing work while using the wireless in their lobby lounge. I then packed my briefcase and headed to the hotel, arriving around 20 minutes later.

The desk clerk could not find a record of my reservation -- so I checked my Blackberry and to my horror, a reservation confirmation for the Sheraton Chicago (whetre I deliberately chosen NOT to stay tonight) had just arrived via email. The desk clerk told me I was about the third person tonight who had arrived there and it turned out their reservations were at another property. But even though it was by now after 9 pm, she would not honor the rate (the lowest rate she would offer was $279)and suggested I call the main reservations # instead.

I did so, using the lobby phone...and after some sleuthing on their end, they told me that the phone # of the Westin River North books both properties (Westin and Sheraton). The original reservationist had not answered the telephone using the Sheraton name and never disclosed that she was making my reservation, even when I mentioned the Westin Heavenly Bed and how pleased I was to be able to stay at the Westin tonight.

Although the lady at central reservations was very nice and cancelled my reservation for me -- she said she could not ensure that i would not be charged for the reservation and that I would have to take that up with the billing department later.

Gotta say - with the refusal to honor the rate, sure sounds like classic bait and switch to me.

That said, I do have to give a ^ ^ to James at the front desk here at the Westin. On my way out to grab a taxi and go to the Swissotel, I stopped by the desk again to tell the lady who would not honor the rate what i had learned about the phone # situation. James overheard and jumped in to tell me he certainly would honor it. So I am writing from the Westin River North more than an hour after I first arrived and James gets a major thumbs up for service recovery.

But unless/until they change the way bookings are made through the local phone, others need to be aware of this setup so they don;t have the same unpleasant surprise I did.
Old Aug 24, 2006, 9:35 pm

Programs: Liftime Titanium Elite Marriott
This is nothing unusual. Often when you call the local hotel they switch you to central reservations. I don't think they are trying to fool you. They just don't know better. I often try to get the local hotel so I can request something but always get dumped to central reservations. Its annoying
Old Aug 24, 2006, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by tfong007
This is nothing unusual. Often when you call the local hotel they switch you to central reservations. I don't think they are trying to fool you. They just don't know better. I often try to get the local hotel so I can request something but always get dumped to central reservations. Its annoying
I've never had that happen with different brands. I could see it happening between the Westin Michigan Avenue and the Westin River North ..but not between two different brands that are designed to appeal to different demographics.
Old Aug 24, 2006, 10:08 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
I have had many hotels switch me to either some central reservations number or a group reservation number without even telling me which I dont like very much. Seems like they would have at least ask you which hotel you wanted to book and let you clarify theh westin.

Now, what didnt you like about the room at the Sheraton? I am at that property now and thought the room was nice, relatively new and decent furnishings. I dont care for the dining options at this property but it is "ok".
Old Aug 24, 2006, 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by mcgahat
I have had many hotels switch me to either some central reservations number or a group reservation number without even telling me which I dont like very much. Seems like they would have at least ask you which hotel you wanted to book and let you clarify theh westin..
I have too. My beef is that they did not disclose they were booking me at a different hotel/brand, despite my mentioning Westin several times. Had they been willing to honor the reservation here when I arrived, I would not have had an issue. But when they do not disclose booking you at another property and then tell you you can only have a room at the property youcalled to book by paying an additional $70 for the night...well, it sure has me rethinking the 3 upcoming Starwood stays I had booked for the next few weeks. Moreover, it meant that to get to the property they did book me at, I would have incur another taxi fare or trudge a couple of blocks with my luggage after 9 pm. Unacceptable.

I spend about 30 hotel nights a year in Chicago and am pretty familiar with most of the hotels. Normally the Sheraton is an OK option, but is never my preferred choice. When I stay there, I usually get a decent, often spacious room. The room I was given last night was exceedingly small (not possible to sit in the chair), had several engineering problems (outlets and some lights not working), small desk, weak lighting and plumbing problems. Since I had several more hours of work to do, I had no interest in gambling on getting a room like that again when I know the Westin and the Swiss are both great properties when you want to work in your room.
Old Aug 26, 2006, 11:36 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
I think that booking experience certainly would leave a bad taste in my mouth as well.
Old Aug 26, 2006, 9:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
I think you might be overreacting, this is not a "bait & switch". Lots of hotels use a "central booking" or "sales office". This is not an uncommon practice.

I would chalk it up to an INDIVIDUAL in the Sheraton/Westin River North's IN HOUSE reservations who is not properly doing their job (or they might have been properly trained), regardless, there is a problem that needs to be corrected at the IN HOUSE reservation department for these two properties.

I agree James is great! ^

Last edited by ldsant; Aug 27, 2006 at 12:12 am Reason: quote made reading difficult
Old Aug 27, 2006, 10:27 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Post Westin Chicago River North - Trip Report

I watned to have a quick one night stay at the Westin River North, just to show my face and see how the service is since I haven’t had a stay at this property in a long while.

Due to weather, I arrived in Chicago at 2:00AM instead of 7PM

SUMMARY

Nice property, centrally located on the south edge of the Michican Avenue Shopping district and convienient to the loop. Good property for a leisure or business travelor.

Check-in/check-out
The folks who walked in before me were told the hotel was full & could not be accommodated (the gay games was in town). When I walked up to the desk I was told that they were checked in full and they would have to walk me to another property…after my long unexpected travel, I wasn’t having NONE of that!!! So I told the young lady (who was extremely nice and professional) at check to send out the MOD and explain why I didn’t have a room when I talked another FD staff member (James ) every hour on the hour to advise them of my arrival status.

When the MOD came out she assured I had a room and gave me a breakfast coupon for any inconvenience. So I was a happy camper.
As a Gold I was upgraded a Suite on the Westin Executive Club Level, cool upgrade, but useless as I was only there 5 hours!

Common Areas

Clean, entry, lobby, and check in area
Spacious Bar & Lounge area
Quiet elevators to guest rooms
Hallways are low lit, yet not as bad as w hotels.
Nice furniture, clean & quite hallways leading to guest rooms.
“Business Center” on main level and there are two free MAC PC’s for guest to use

Guest Rooms
Large, clean parlor was a nice size and comfortable with desk overlooking House of Blues with so-so light
Nice work station with plenty of electrical sockets
Nice size Wetbar.
Heavenly Bed was REALLY good
Well kept furniture.
Couldn’t hear a thing from the adjacent room
Plasma/HDTV's in both the bedroom and the parlor
Housekeeping staff - No comment, as I was only there one night
Large Deep Closet
I suspect suite upgrades will be hard to come by at this property, as there are not many.

Guest Room Bathrooms
HUGE bathroom, four people could be in it at one time
Large size vanity/Sink area, with good counter space
Huge shower & deep soaking tube
Lots AND lots of face, hand & body towels
Large mirror
Typical Heavenly bath toiletries

Executive Level/Lounge
Nice Lounge on 20 Floor with nice view of the loop. Since I arrived late and left before noon I wasn’t able to check out any of the actual serving
They may a note to say that children under 12 MUST be accompanied by an adult to get into the lounge and under supervision.
Evening turndown and ice service
Shoe shine

Fitness Center
Complimentary 24-hour fitness center with free weights, treadmills and cardio machines for those assigned to the Executive Club Level

Pool
Not sure if there is a pool

HSIA/Wireless Internet
If you are staying on the Executive Club Level you can use the HSIA on the IMAC in the room for free or plug it into your PC at no charge

Business Center
The property states it has a host of services, I guess you must enquire with the front desk as to how thing work. All I saw was two pay for use PCs

Concierge
There is a concierge on staff, but I didn’t use them

Parking/Valet
No car needed in Chitown

Dining
Didn’t use a restaurant

Would I return? Yes, without hesitation
Would I recommend? Yes,
Would I recommend restaurant? N/A
Value for price paid? Great. Compared to the Sheraton, Palmer House, W City Center

Overall property rating on a scale from 1 to 10 = 8

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.