Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Excelsior Rome, Italy, 2007 on [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Excelsior Rome, Italy, 2007 on [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2017, 11:45 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
All in all stay excellent as I wrote in initial impressions. Would definitely stay here again and plat recognition excellent. Buffet breakfast quite good even by Asian standards.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 2:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Delta Plat, Marriott Plat,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I was there for a few days in September, and it's a pit. I had a large corner suite. Beautiful crystal chandeliers, except that half of the crystals were missing. Dirt everywhere; it looks as though they haven't vacuumed let alone shampooed the common area carpets since well before I was born. Equal amount of dirt/grime on the carpets in my room. Various items of furniture in the hallways which obviously should be in storage or discarded (they were covered by sheets). IMO the hard product is simply awful. Hard to beat the location, though.
I was there in October and I somewhat agree, not so harshly. Corner suite as well bigger than my college apartment. But everything is very old, cracked marble floors etc. Staff was friendly but we'd planned ahead so not a lot of interaction. Good location would be a great property with major renovation...
Old Apr 10, 2017, 4:26 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Carpets can be replaced. History can't. Great hotel. Especially if you have business at the Embassy. Agree hey should remodel. Great hotel. Amazing history.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 3:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by cfabar1
Carpets can be replaced. History can't. Great hotel. Especially if you have business at the Embassy. Agree they should remodel. Great hotel. Amazing history.
Never remind remodel. Thorough cleaning and repairs would probably be fine for a start. Completely agree on the historical aspect. 35-50 years ago, this was the place to stay in Rome. Very glamorous; everyone who was anyone stayed here.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 11:19 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
La Dolce Vita setting on sale

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Completely agree on the historical aspect. 35-50 years ago, this was the place to stay in Rome. Very glamorous; everyone who was anyone stayed here.
This is the hotel where the film La Dolce Vita was made - so no surprise its beautiful!

Strangely, it is on sale August 11-15 for $234 per night:

http://www.spghotescapes.com/
Old Jul 8, 2017, 3:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
Originally Posted by Antonio8069
Not so strange; August 15 is "Ferragosto", the height of the Italian vacation season. Rome will be relatively empty (of Italians, at least).
Old Jul 8, 2017, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Antonio8069

http://www.spghotescapes.com/
More than it's worth in its current state, IMO.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 8:51 am

Programs: N/A
Hi All,

I am able to get this property for 190 Euros through my corporate travel provider. As a plat member, may i ask how the treatment is?

And at this discounted rate are there any other properties i should consider? I am also a hyatt globalist. Looking for the best bang for my buck.

Thanks all!

Old Jul 11, 2017, 9:12 am

Programs: UA 1k, SPG/Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by JBG89
Hi All,

I am able to get this property for 190 Euros through my corporate travel provider. As a plat member, may i ask how the treatment is?

And at this discounted rate are there any other properties i should consider? I am also a hyatt globalist. Looking for the best bang for my buck.

Thanks all!

We stayed recently for one night on a starpicks discount rate of 167 Euro. Upgraded to a grandluxe room which was very large and very well appointed. Free breakfast in the room with a small surcharge. Late checkout.

Good plat recognition and a lovely hotel in a great location (we were visiting villa borghese).

No Hyatts in Rome so go with Spg.

Excellent value for 167 euros.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 12:33 pm

Programs: N/A
Originally Posted by aussieinsf
We stayed recently for one night on a starpicks discount rate of 167 Euro. Upgraded to a grandluxe room which was very large and very well appointed. Free breakfast in the room with a small surcharge. Late checkout.

Good plat recognition and a lovely hotel in a great location (we were visiting villa borghese).

No Hyatts in Rome so go with Spg.

Excellent value for 167 euros.

Thanks! 167 is a great rate as well! Was that a platinum upgrade to the grandluxe?
Old Jul 11, 2017, 1:04 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
We were in Rome last week and I was able to get the Le Meridien for about EUR120 with my corporate rate. As I posted in that thread, the rooms are really nice at the LM and I like the surrounding location for less touristy restaurants (and 2 EUR morning cappuccino). A longer walk than the Westin to the area around the Spanish steps, but a wash for other things like the Colosseum.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 1:10 pm

Programs: Delta, AA, BA, United, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by stephem
We were in Rome last week and I was able to get the Le Meridien for about EUR120 with my corporate rate. As I posted in that thread, the rooms are really nice at the LM and I like the surrounding location for less touristy restaurants (and 2 EUR morning cappuccino). A longer walk than the Westin to the area around the Spanish steps, but a wash for other things like the Colosseum.
Yes, it's always good to check the price. I may have wasted a lot of SPG points, on my last stay, if rooms were in that range. Very special property. Breakfast was an event we enjoyed daily, with Plat benefit.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 9:28 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, HH Gold
Had a great upgrade

Had a good stay last year with an upgrade to a Via Veneto Suite.

Not sure if it was a mistake upgrade, as I had booked a junior suite and BRG to a basic room.

I think the booking was not updated and still said junior suite at the time of checking in.

http://goodhotelreview.blogspot.com/...estinrome.html
Old Sep 14, 2017, 12:16 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Tit, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, Carlson Gold, UA*S,
Stayed here last week and was upgraded to a Grand Deluxe Room with a balcony overlooking the Veneto.

Obviously, after reading the thread I was concerned but honestly the place is perfectly fine.

The bedroom was enormous and the bathroom was comfortable with double sinks.

There was also a great view from the balcony too - perfect for a late summer's morning sunshine.

The breakfast was excellent as as a platinum is worth 39 Euros per person! Absolutely brilliant.

There is everything from fresh pastries, buns, cupcakes, to fresh and tinned fruit, meats & cheeses, cooked bacon, pancakes and potatoes, to breads, yogurt and also an omlette station.

Waiters are friendly and helpful too - you can also order a la carte.

The public areas of the hotel are grand and lined with marble. They occupy vast spaces and are remarkably uncluttered. I almost expected more things like plants and ornaments but it is actually quite sparse while being pleasant at the same time.

Again, the place is due to have a refit in the near future but that in no way means that the place is not fit or that you will be disappointed.

Don't forget, that this property used to be in the Luxury Collection rather than Westin, and i think that it truly deserves to return to that portfolio.

I would stay here again, but also would recommend the Marriott Flora just up the road - a bit closer to the park and with the most stunning roof top terrace over looking Rome! If you are at the Westin, have a look at the Flora too - rooftop is only open for breakfast strangely but what a way to wake up!

In terms of getting around, the problem with the taxis not wanting to take people short distances seems to have been resolved. We didn't have a problem at any time and they were for relatively close journeys like Pantheon.

From the airport it is a flat rate 48 Euros.

There IS Uber in Rome but only Uber Black so every ride is at least 10 Euros. The Taxis are much better with rates starting at 3 Euros and a surcharge after 10pm.

In terms of sights you can easily walk to Trevis Fountain and the Spanish steps are at the other side of the hill. The Veneto is a beautiful tree-lined street too. Really enjoyed staying here.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 6:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
Perfectly fine? Sounds awesome to me, as all of my stays have been!

Not a fan at all of the Flora. Treated like crud the last time I was there. The three times before that weren't anything special at all either.

I'm a huge fan of all things Starwood in Italy!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.