Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Excelsior Rome, Italy, 2007 on [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Excelsior Rome, Italy, 2007 on [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2008, 7:16 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LTT, Hyatt Exp, AA 1MM, UA Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
is there an arguement that I can make that might help me sway him to this property..
Heavenly bed? Great location?

I don't have anything else. I had horrible experiences with customer service until I complained...then got a spectacular upgrade to this. Unfortunately you can't count on that type of upgrade.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 9:23 am

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Accor Diamond, National Emerald Club Exec Elite
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
I'm heading to rome for four days starting this coming Sat. I'm desparately trying to get the boss to switch from the Roma to the Westin but its not working (he's plat too but likes the Roma).. is there an arguement that I can make that might help me sway him to this property.. so far this page isn't helping LOL with the lack of response and upgrades
I've stayed at this hotel twice, both times on rewards, and have received upgrades to enormous suites both times.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 9:47 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dingo
That's the email address I have used and also used myself back in 2003. Out of the St. Regis, Gritti Palace, Florence Westin and Eden this hotel is the only one not to respond to emails and I don't want to call them and fumble through Italian. I just have some simple requests like maps and the like.
I don't think you'll have trouble finding someone who can speak English if you call them directly. Everyone we dealt with their a few weeks ago spoke enough English to work with, and I'm sure the concierges would be no exception (we actually did not use the concierge desk).
Old Jun 21, 2008, 5:41 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
Does anyone have an email address for this hotel that has actually been used for correspondence?
Old Jun 26, 2008, 9:01 am

Programs: Meh!
We are a family of 5 (kids aged 8, 6 and 3) and I have just made a cash booking for August under the Summer Rates tariff that says "Complimentary extra bed for children from 0 to 12 years old. Cribs for infant are free". I booked on spg.com, and the booking confirmation only reflects the 2 adults but does include my request for a complimentary rollaway for the children. Bearing in mind the similar posts above I have emailed the concierge to make them aware of the children for the avoidance of doubt. Our 3 year old son sleeps with us, and his two sisters always sleep together, so one rollaway should suffice - but better to warn them in advance.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 12:36 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Does this hotel have a Plat lounge?

I SWEAR I have read every word of this thread and haven't seen one mentioned (and if i missed it, I apologize!).

My stay there in a couple weekends will be my inaugural stay as a freshly minted Plat and so I'm hoping for all of the benies that Platinum status has to offer!
Old Jun 30, 2008, 2:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
There is no lounge. Additionally, there is no in-room coffee nor complimentary coffee in the lobby. From memory a few years back, they have a few business center PC's that will cost you dearly. There are several little caffes on Via Veneto and side streets that are, IMO, better breakfast alternatives so long as you don't need a full spread to start your day.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 4:34 pm

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
Originally Posted by kokonutz
Does this hotel have a Plat lounge?

I SWEAR I have read every word of this thread and haven't seen one mentioned (and if i missed it, I apologize!).

My stay there in a couple weekends will be my inaugural stay as a freshly minted Plat and so I'm hoping for all of the benies that Platinum status has to offer!
No lounge at any of the central Rome Starwoods-- there is one at the Sheraton near the airport. As for Platinum upgrades, during my one night stays at various times, I received very large rooms with great views, as well as a beautiful suite (once). The hotels are very elegant and old style and the locations are great.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 4:08 am

Programs: Meh!
Originally Posted by Halo
We are a family of 5 (kids aged 8, 6 and 3) and I have just made a cash booking for August under the Summer Rates tariff that says "Complimentary extra bed for children from 0 to 12 years old. Cribs for infant are free". I booked on spg.com, and the booking confirmation only reflects the 2 adults but does include my request for a complimentary rollaway for the children. Bearing in mind the similar posts above I have emailed the concierge to make them aware of the children for the avoidance of doubt. Our 3 year old son sleeps with us, and his two sisters always sleep together, so one rollaway should suffice - but better to warn them in advance.
For the benefit of others, the Westin responded that the max occupation in any room is 3 persons, so we needed an extra room. It doubles the cost of the stay but that's life.

Just updating this because although the Westin Excelsior Rome advised me by email that "Maximum occupancy on the rooms is 3 guests. For security reason we need to respect the room occupancy rules imposed by Italian law." I subsequently found on the Starwood website details of the Famtastic rates which state "A great experience for families and children at the Westin Excelsior Rome. Valid until December 31, 2008. Each double room may accommodate a maximum of 2 adults and 2 children 17 or under (1 child must be sharing bed with parents and the other will be provided with a rollaway bed)." We will still need to book an extra room but this knowledge might help those with 2 little ones.

Last edited by Halo; Jul 2, 2008 at 8:44 am Reason: Correction based on new info.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 8:18 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Thanks Dingo and Mauld! I guess I'll just have to get my coffee at cafes...and I will TRY not to drink cappuccino after noon...
Old Jul 2, 2008, 8:34 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, SPG LTP
We were there for 5 nights in March and had a regular morning coffee stop about a 5 minute walk from the hotel. To get there, walk on Ludovisi towards Hotel Eden. Go left on Crispi (the road will T at Eden) and walk about a block or two. The bar is on your left. Sorry, I can't remember the name at the moment. Whole in the wall with a "We speak <insert language here>" tourist-type of sign in front, but it always seemed to be locals in there. Good coffee and pastries and friendly staff. As with any of these places, bar price is about half of table price.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Another option for casual, local dining is to turn left out of the hotel, head up Ludovisi for perhaps 2 blocks and keep your eyes peeled for travel agencies/small markets on the right hand side of the cross streets (to your right as you walk).

There are a couple of small coffee shops/ice cream shops tucked in amonst the stores that appear to be "locals only".
Have a great time!
Dave
Old Jul 2, 2008, 9:36 am
Community Director Emerita

Immediately across the street from the Westin is a coffee bar that has tables on the sidewalk. If you go inside and stand at the coffee bar, the price is half that of being seated. We were there two weeks ago; I believe that coffee was 1.5 euros. There was also a pastry counter. Don't get your gelato there; it was unremarkable.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 9:57 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Immediately across the street from the Westin is a coffee bar that has tables on the sidewalk. If you go inside and stand at the coffee bar, the price is half that of being seated. We were there two weeks ago; I believe that coffee was 1.5 euros. There was also a pastry counter. Don't get your gelato there; it was unremarkable.
Cafe de Paris ?
Old Jul 2, 2008, 9:59 am
Community Director Emerita

Thank you for helping a rusty memory. Yes, Cafe de Paris. Mind you, I'd pay the price to sit if the lovely big loungers were available outside - but that was very popular seating.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.