Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

GONE : left SPG Sep 27, '13: Sheraton Firenze Hotel - Florence, Italy [Master Thread]

GONE : left SPG Sep 27, '13: Sheraton Firenze Hotel - Florence, Italy [Master Thread]

Old Oct 2, 2003, 6:50 pm
Original Poster

Arrow GONE : left SPG Sep 27, '13: Sheraton Firenze Hotel - Florence, Italy [Master Thread]

I did a search but didn't get any results for this hotel. The price is certainly right but what's the hotel and area like?

------------------
Pat
Old Oct 3, 2003, 1:35 am

I've never stayed, however I know the area, and it's not really close to the center of town (but they do have a shuttle, and the area is not dangerous, or anything like that, just not very interesting).

Firenze is a tough hotel market, as bad as or worse than many cities in Italy. You can find very nice hotels there, but you'll have to pay through the nose.

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Jun 16, 2007 at 10:54 am Reason: Removed non-working link
Old Oct 3, 2003, 7:14 am

Programs: Qatar Platinum, Etihad Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
NO... Not worth it at all.

Not worth the money or points. I stayed there last May on a Free weekend night that would expire if I don't use it.

As a Platinum I got nothing! and hotel ocupency seemed very low. Food didn't look good, but I didn't try it. The location is not the best (far from the center) but that was not a concern. I had a car and the hotel offers a free shuttle.

To sum it up: Avoid it.
Old Oct 3, 2003, 8:10 am

Location: DALLAS,TX AA EXP-3MM, HYT PLAT, SPG PLAT,HLT GLD,LEADERS CLUB
The hotels in this city are tough to come by and are always priced high. If starwood is what you are looking for go with the westin or grand use points or 50% off.There are many posts on theese properties.Both are 5 star.
I personally have another favorite in this city because of it's location The Savoy.
Old Oct 3, 2003, 8:51 am

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
The Westin is great though quite expensive. Definitely use points or 50% off cert. Besides the Savoy, another more modest choice, but very nice, is the Plaza Lucchesi (Summitt Hotels,) along the river and close to Uffizi. They usually have specials, though can be expensive at regular rates.

As far as the Sheraton, it reminded me of an old Sheraton. Definitely no character, or more accurately, looks like a Sheraton in the Concord, CA. A little more hilly, though.

[This message has been edited by rbAA (edited 10-03-2003).]
Old Oct 3, 2003, 11:09 am

We stayed there for a long weekend in July. Bottom line is that if you're paying cash from your own pocket, it is the best *wood value in Florence.

The hotel is nothing special (rbAA's comments are very accurate) - it's a standard Sheraton (which when compared to most European hotels in this price range is a good thing). Nice pool, large rooms, lots of free parking, free shuttle to downtown, close to the autostrada for your trips into the Tuscan countryside. Restaurants are OK but nothing special.

The hotel is on the outskirts of Florence, just inside the autostrada ring road to the south. The area is not completely developed so there is a lot a vacant land around. I would categorize the general area as industrial. Never felt like it was a dangerous area; the obvious criminal activity (the female nighttime variety) was confined to the north side of the Arno River, closer to downtown.

The former CIGA properties in Florence (the Excelsior and the Grand) have much better locations and are classier properties, but you will pay 2-3 times the price that you will at the Sheraton. I might consider burning *points for a special stay at one of these hotels, but I would never pay that much out of my own pocket. You are, after all, in Florence - the cultural capital of Italy. How much time are you planning to spend in your hotel room anyways?
Old Oct 3, 2003, 5:05 pm

I lived in Florence for a while, and try to go back frequently. I would stay at the Westin as a first choice. Also, consider the pitti palace hotel if you want cheaper. Its an incredible view of the Arno, and you are near the Pitti, Ponte Vecchio, Boboli Gardens, and the Uffizi. Have a great time!!!
Old Oct 3, 2003, 8:09 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the input. You all have convinced me NOT to stay there. The other *Wood hotels are all out of our price range, especially since we need 2 rooms for 2 nights.

------------------
Pat
Old Oct 4, 2003, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you are going to Florence, stay in Florence. I have not stayed in this hotel, as it is not in "Florence", but in the suburb of some town in Italy.

We are in and out of our hotel room 3-4 times a day. Cannot do that when the hotel is 1/2-1 hr away.
Old Jan 26, 2004, 12:28 pm

Programs: UA1P MM, Hilton Dia, Mar Lifetime Gold, Hertz Gold
Sheraton Firenze (Florence)

This summer I will be taking a family vacation to Italy. I have Rome and Sorrento scheduled using points and cash from various programs.

I have enough points left over with *Wood to stay at the Sheraton Firenze Hotel for 2-3 nights, two rooms. I cannot afford Florence any other way.

Should I modify my trip to include a stay in Florence at the Sheraton Firenze Hotel even though not in the city? We will then take the train to Rome. Is it worth it?
Old Jan 26, 2004, 6:17 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by MIKEM:
This summer I will be taking a family vacation to Italy. I have Rome and Sorrento scheduled using points and cash from various programs.

I have enough points left over with *Wood to stay at the Sheraton Firenze Hotel for 2-3 nights, two rooms. I cannot afford Florence any other way.

Should I modify my trip to include a stay in Florence at the Sheraton Firenze Hotel even though not in the city? We will then take the train to Rome. Is it worth it?
</font>
Florence as a destination in the city is most certainly worth it. It's too important to skip over in my book. 2-3 days is perfect there, and even if the hotel is not great and you have to take the once an hour shuttle bus (which can be a pain to take since you have to go according to their schedule), the hotel did work well enough for us in late summer/early fall of 2002.
Old Jan 27, 2004, 8:26 pm

we like Florence better than Rome (but we've already done the sights in Rome). Unless you expect to get back soon, it's pretty far to go and not see Florence (although we did stay at Westins in town).
Old Jan 28, 2004, 9:07 am

Florence is definitely worth the points.
Old Jan 28, 2004, 1:24 pm

Programs: Qatar Platinum, Etihad Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
One word on Sheraton Firenze Hotel: AVOID.
Old Apr 27, 2004, 9:28 pm

So here is our schedule:

June 25-29 - Sheraton Roma
June 29-30 - Florence (question below)
June 30-03 - Venice at Westin Regina

We are going to be in Florence for only 1 night on June 29. I am not expecting the "Best Sheraton Ever", just looking for a room for one night on the way to Venice form Rome. The Sheraton is 4k points vs 16k points for either the Grand or Westin. That is a really big point difference and means the difference between having 12k points in my account or the Big Goose Egg. It seems that the hotel is only about 5km (3 miles) from the centre so here are my questions.

1. If we want to stay at the Sheraton is it practical to take taxis if we miss the bus or just want to go on our own schedule? Any ballpark ideas on cost?

2. How far is it to/from the train station compared with the other hotels?

3. I am more interested about locations and transport times more than hotel quality.

4. Is it even worth going to Florence just for one day or should be just do 4 days in Rome and 4 days in Venice?

When in VIE last summer we stayed at a Holiday Inn that took 30 minutes to get downtown but we got a rate of $89 Euro for 2 people vs burring points and didn't regret it. I also don't want to chince out if it means really missing out in Florence given our limited time.

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.