Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

GONE : left SPG Sep 27, '13: Sheraton Firenze Hotel - Florence, Italy [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GONE : left SPG Sep 27, '13: Sheraton Firenze Hotel - Florence, Italy [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2004, 5:47 pm

Programs: UA1P MM, Hilton Dia, Mar Lifetime Gold, Hertz Gold
Sheraton Florence Italy Trip Report

I just stayed there on a reward, getting two rooms for two nights. Overall, a decent property; not a dump as others posted. It is however, not near the city center. There is a shuttle that drops off and picks up several times per day. However, we found the shuttle very inconvenient and used taxis many times. It is a 15 Euro taxi ride.

The bar was nice and inexpensive. One beer and three sodas for 8 Euro is not bad in Florence.

Upon check-in the front desk told me that since I was using points I did not get the breakfast. Wanting to get the best room possible I took the keys and went to the room planning to head back and discuss the breakfast later. The rooms were on the top floor and were your typical "cookie cutter" rooms. There wer robes and slippers for two in each room.

Being satisfied with the rooms I took my Platinum card and went back to further discuss the breakfast issue. I showed my Starwood Platinum Card and said that it was my understanding that Platinum’s do get breakfast (there is no Exec Lounge) regardless of the rate type. She responded by saying, "no since you are using points you do not get breakfast. However, I will give you a fruit basket." I then gave up.

Can someone tell me if this is true? Using points for a stay negates the free breakfast for Platinum’s? This is the first time I have redeemed points with Starwood.

Last edited by MIKEM; Aug 18, 2004 at 5:52 pm
Old Aug 18, 2004, 6:12 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by MIKEM
I just stayed there on a reward, getting two rooms for two nights. Overall, a decent property; not a dump as others posted. It is however, not near the city center. There is a shuttle that drops off and picks up several times per day. However, we found the shuttle very inconvenient and used taxis many times. It is a 15 Euro taxi ride.

The bar was nice and inexpensive. One beer and three sodas for 8 Euro is not bad in Florence.

Upon check-in the front desk told me that since I was using points I did not get the breakfast. Wanting to get the best room possible I took the keys and went to the room planning to head back and discuss the breakfast later. The rooms were on the top floor and were your typical "cookie cutter" rooms. There wer robes and slippers for two in each room.

Being satisfied with the rooms I took my Platinum card and went back to further discuss the breakfast issue. I showed my Starwood Platinum Card and said that it was my understanding that Platinum’s do get breakfast (there is no Exec Lounge) regardless of the rate type. She responded by saying, "no since you are using points you do not get breakfast. However, I will give you a fruit basket." I then gave up.

Can someone tell me if this is true? Using points for a stay negates the free breakfast for Platinum’s? This is the first time I have redeemed points with Starwood.
Breakfast is not a benefit of any level in Starwood Preferred Guest. There may be some paid rates that include breakfast, however.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]
Old Aug 18, 2004, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Where did you ever get the idea breakfast is a Plat benefit? Just because there is no Exec or Club floor doesn't mean you get breakfast. [This hasn't been a benefit since Westin Premier Gold was folded into SPG.] Next to no Westins, Four Points, St. Regis or Luxury Collections have club floors, so do you get breakfast with all these stays? As far as I know, only Hilton offers the breakfast benefit for its mid and top tier elites. Check your T&C before you blast Starwood.
Old Aug 18, 2004, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
Breakfast is not a benefit of any level in Starwood Preferred Guest. There may be some paid rates that include breakfast, however.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Thank you William.

I have been staying at many *woods lately and have become used to getting free breakfast food in the lounge. I'll be sure to appreciate it a little more now.
Old Aug 18, 2004, 6:25 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Hyatt Diamond also gets breakfast as a benefit (usually vouchers for a food credit in the hotel restaurant and it often covers things like eggs benedict). Many European starwoods have been including breakfast, probably generosity or confusion on their part as all the paid rates do include breakfast. As I often skip breakfast I have often wished that it were separately charged.
Old Aug 18, 2004, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by Shareholder
Where did you ever get the idea breakfast is a Plat benefit? Just because there is no Exec or Club floor doesn't mean you get breakfast. [This hasn't been a benefit since Westin Premier Gold was folded into SPG.] Next to no Westins, Four Points, St. Regis or Luxury Collections have club floors, so do you get breakfast with all these stays? As far as I know, only Hilton offers the breakfast benefit for its mid and top tier elites. Check your T&C before you blast Starwood.

I have only started staying with Starwood this last 10 months. I should qualify as a Platinum for next year by the end of next month. I do not pretend to know all the Starwood rules and that is why I asked the question. I will continue to ask questions and will not check the T&C's.
Old Aug 18, 2004, 6:32 pm

Thank you William.

I have been staying at many *woods lately and have become used to getting free breakfast food in the lounge. I'll be sure to appreciate it a little more now.
No problem. This is how the benefit reads in the Terms and Conditions of Membership:

4. Access to the Club Level when staying at Sheraton hotels even when not staying on the Club Level floor(s). Access to the Executive Level when staying at Westin hotels, even when not staying on the Executive Level floor(s). At any time a lounge is full, the hotel may require a member to wait until space is available or may elect to offer an alternative location providing amenities equal or greater to those available in the lounge. If a lounge is closed for any reason, such as renovation, the hotel may consider it not having a lounge during the closed period and is not required to offer alternate accommodations.

So, if it is a Sheraton or a Westin, then yes, you are allowed to partake of whatever is offered in the lounge, noting the caveats listed above.

I might also add another caveat concerning using Preferred (free) Night Awards at properties that usually roll all-inclusive dining into their paid rates, and I'm thinking of the properties in Sardinia here: if you use a Preferred (free) Night Award, meals are not included. That is covered under this:

2. Preferred Award Nights are for single and/or double standard room only occupancy and include the cost of your hotel room and room tax/service charge. All other hotel charges are the responsibility of the member and are not covered by the Preferred Award Night award. Each Award is valid for one stay of one night or consecutive nights at a participating Starwood hotel or resort as applicable to the particular award. Members may redeem Starpoints for up to a total of three rooms on the same date at the same property.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]

Last edited by Starwood Lurker; Aug 18, 2004 at 6:35 pm
Old Aug 18, 2004, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
I have only started staying with Starwood this last 10 months. I should qualify as a Platinum for next year by the end of next month. I do not pretend to know all the Starwood rules and that is why I asked the question. I will continue to ask questions and will not check the T&C's.
Why will you NOT check the T&Cs???

I don't understand why you would rather go to a hotel with unrealistic expectations of the elite benefits, be disappointed in not getting breakfast as a benefit, spend time arguing with the hotel over this benefit, spend time writing a complaining thread on FlyerTalk about it, etc., etc., rather than FIRST spending a few minutes verifying the actual benefits of the program by reading them on the SPG website. It would have saved you lots of time and (perhaps more importantly) disappointment.

So, I respectfully suggest that, in future, you do your homework first.
Old Aug 18, 2004, 7:03 pm

MIKEM, I didn't take umbrage to your question. Just wanted you to know that.

If everybody knew everything about the program all the time, I wouldn't have much left to do.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]

Last edited by Starwood Lurker; Aug 19, 2004 at 11:15 am Reason: to correct a word
Old Aug 18, 2004, 7:06 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Delta Platinum

I must agree with Kathy. How did you come to an understanding that Platinum's get free breakfast regardless of rate type? While I do have some issues with T&Cs that can be a bit trying at times, I would think that it is your responsibility to at least know the general benefits of your earned membership level. Otherwise, I think that you need to accept whatever you are given regarding the entire SPG program.
Old Aug 18, 2004, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
Why will you NOT check the T&Cs???

I don't understand why you would rather go to a hotel with unrealistic expectations of the elite benefits, be disappointed in not getting breakfast as a benefit, spend time arguing with the hotel over this benefit, spend time writing a complaining thread on FlyerTalk about it, etc., etc., rather than FIRST spending a few minutes verifying the actual benefits of the program by reading them on the SPG website. It would have saved you lots of time and (perhaps more importantly) disappointment.

So, I respectfully suggest that, in future, you do your homework first.
It's easier to ask the questions here than pouring through pages and pages of rules and trying to interpret them. That is assuming I can find the right rules to begin with. Most all of what I learned about travel has come from Flyertalk. This is especially true for Starwood because of William. I received an answer to my question within minutes of asking, from a very reliable source. This is great!

The breakfast assumption was a mistake on my part. Now I have learned and am more enlightened. The mistake was made because until 10 months ago I stayed only at Hiltons. In 2003 I had 80 nights with Hilton. Now that I'm staying with *wood I need to separate the benefits better.

Asking at the front desk for a free breakfast isn't a bad idea. I almost always do this anyway. Often they point out something I did not know about what is offered. The most they can say is no.

I apologize if the original post causes you pain.
Old Aug 18, 2004, 7:25 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Delta Platinum
OK William

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
MIKEM, I didn't take umbrance to your question. Just wanted you to know that.

If everybody knew everything about the program all the time, I wouldn't have much left to do.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
I've got 2 questions now.

#1 What does umbrance mean? I can't find it on-line.

#2 Exactly what is your job? I know that FlyerTalk keeps you busy but surely its not your full-time job?
Old Aug 18, 2004, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by bigjim
I've got 2 questions now.

#1 What does umbrance mean? I can't find it on-line.

#2 Exactly what is your job? I know that FlyerTalk keeps you busy but surely its not your full-time job?
1) umbrance - maybe I misspelled it? It means that I didn't take exception to his asking.

2) You're right. Flyertalk is not a full-time job. I write custom letters and emails on behalf of Starwood Preferred Guest (read: someone sends a letter or email to SPG that needs a special reply) and Jim Berra, Vice President of Loyalty Marketing, Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc. I also answer calls that are escalated to his office regarding the program. You probably cannot imagine all that entails.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Aug 18, 2004, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Of course it doesn't hurt, when checking in, to ask if breakfast is included. Many hotels include breakfast (continental or buffet) in all their room rates.

But that is a different matter from having it be an elite benefit of the loyalty program. (This is one area where some other programs, such as HHonors, are superior to SPG.)
Old Aug 19, 2004, 8:09 am

Programs: AA Gold, UA Premier, *Wood, Marriott Silver Elite
There is no harm in asking politely. If the hotel says No, one should not ask the question again. (even though it is not a benefit with any level)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.