FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Sheraton Grand London Park Lane, London, United Kingdom [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/411801-sheraton-grand-london-park-lane-london-united-kingdom-master-thread.html)

sonofapilotman Mar 8, 2007 4:08 pm

Sheraton Grand London Park Lane, London, United Kingdom [Master Thread]

Anyone have exp using an award to stay there in summer. What are the rooms like? Any upgrade success? Thanks folks!

itsaboutthejourney Mar 8, 2007 6:00 pm

There are a TON of threads about this hotel, London Hotels, etc.

My bottom line: stay away. I found the hotel creepy, but some may find it old & charming.

You can do so much better in London, many many options SPG and otherwise.

cpsri99 Mar 8, 2007 6:05 pm

I personally didn't like the Park Lane, I thought it was very dated and not comfortable. I walked into my room and walked out. They were really nice and gave me an "upgraded" room to try as well but I didn't really like it either.

I went to the Park Tower down the street instead. Park Tower was great!

smat Mar 8, 2007 6:35 pm

I stay there for the location, and the fact that I can usually get a room there for a decent amount of points (I booked a 5 night May stay at 50% off the starpoint redemption amount). The Le Meridien down the street is even more central, but not worth the extra points (it is also "dated"). I've tried the Belgravia Sheraton, but the location was a bit off the beaten path for me. The Park Tower is the one I haven't tried (too many points for me).

I don't go to the Park Lane expecting luxury.....I've had a wide variety of rooms there, and since I'm not "paying" for them, I'm not that particular. It would be a different story if I was shelling out $300 USD of my own money...

DZMAN Mar 8, 2007 6:49 pm

Stayed here this year. Good location for me. Nice upgraded room with great bathroom.. Plat amenity was a bottle of wine.. Lounge very stuffy and expensive. Nice pubs nearby.

skye1 Mar 8, 2007 11:11 pm

I doubt I'd stay there again, and I don't say that too often. Yeah, the location was good, but that was about it. Agree with the previous posts (as well as several in the TONS of other threads on it) that the lobby is stuffy, the staff/service was so-so, the rooms are really worn, dated, blah, not something you'd want to "come home" to at the end of a day.

The Belgravia is off some beaten paths, but on others...depends on what you're doing, where you're going...walkable thru a very swank neighborhood to Hyde Park (both the park & the tube stop) & Victoria station (the tube stop/train station), EXCELLENT staff, great treatment of Plat's/Golds, MUCH nicer (altho' somewhat smaller) rooms.

ldsant Mar 8, 2007 11:25 pm

As there are many other threads regarding this property and others (use Search feature and keywords Starwood London) I agree that this property was not my favorite. The Belgravia is the best imo! The staff is elegant, it's very "old world" and treatment as a Platinum was much better than the other properties in London. As far as "location" I thought it was a great location! The tube takes you everywhere in London anyway.

nevsim Mar 9, 2007 10:08 am

I stayed at the Park Lane using Cash and Points in 2003 as a Plat. I was upgraded to a very nice suite without having to haggle like some of the current Plat's are forced to do.

However, it was in October, so I'm guessing your upgrade chances will depend on availability when you show up.

ACfly Mar 9, 2007 10:34 am

Been there once, but never returned again...

shar161 Mar 9, 2007 3:15 pm

We were there twice alst summer. We stayed in a studio stuite because we have 2 kids and needed the room. Second time we stayed in a suite. The studio suite was actually niceer. It was during a heat wave and we were lucky to have great airconditioning which is rare and the best thing! We stayed with points. I know lots of people don't care for the place, but it was fine for us and a good location. The staff was very nice. Both suites had good size modern bathrooms. We did see the basic room and spent time in one for a few hours when we arrived early one morning which helped us out. In that case it was ok, but horrible if you had to pay for it or even use points.

oldandslow Mar 9, 2007 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by ACfly (Post 7372006)
Been there once, but never returned again...

Same here; got a broom-closet sized room on an award stay, and have never gone back.

nimeta Mar 10, 2007 4:36 am

I stay there often and quite like it. It's far from perfect but in terms of value for money it's OK for London.

And I have usually been upgraded to some very nice rooms!!

Shanghai Mar 10, 2007 1:07 pm

I love that hotel. I've stayed there many times when we lived in Europe. I guess I like the charm and location of the hotel. The full English breakfast is very good. I have stayed at the Belgravia twice when the Park Lane was fully booked, but the Belgravia rooms a smaller and the location is not as convenient.

Scarpa257 Apr 17, 2007 3:58 pm

The Park Lane Hotel, London - getting to/from?

Anyone have suggestions on the fastest/cheapest way from Heathrow to the Park Lane Hotel and back?

ramraideruk Apr 17, 2007 4:02 pm

It couldn't be easier. Get the piccadilly line from Heathrow to Hyde Park corner. Ask any station staff for the exit for the hotel. It will be a walk of five mins max.