Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Grand London Park Lane, London, United Kingdom [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 23, 2015, 3:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Grand London Park Lane, London, United Kingdom [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2015, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by dark169
Any one have any updates on the reno at this property? I'm planning a trip to London fir late October and this would be a great use of some SPG points, but if they are still putting people in the old rooms I'll spend the points and go with the Le Merdian.
Just stayed there on a award, upgraded to deluxe (spg gold) room was dated so probably not a reno...have to admit I wouldn't stay at Le Merdian b/c it is about 1/3 a mile towards Piccadilly Circus while the Park Lane is more in Mayfair...great row of restaurants and bars about a 3 min walk out the back entrance and Buckingham Palace is a 5 min walk through the park..
Old Jul 23, 2015, 6:32 pm

Programs: EMT-P
My family (2 adults, 2 16 year olds) stayed for 5 days a week ago. We had two regular rooms - one with a King, one with two double beds. The hotel is certainly dated but, to me, in a pleasant, old world way. Major problem is that temps were in the mid-70s to 80F and the rooms were quite hot - the A/C is effectively useless but the staff brought us fans to use. Besides that, the construction was not even noticeable. We were gone most of the day but did come back in late afternoon (3pm ish) for a 2 hour nap before we went out and never noticed any noise. The only noise was the morning of the London 10K which occurred on Piccadilly but we just went out and cheered the runners. There was no construction debris or detours that we encountered.

For me, the lower points required was helpful since we needed two rooms was fine. A child could certainly sleep on the sofa (I don't know if ours was a bed as well). The staff was very accommodating and the location is excellent - blocks from the Green Park tube station and several minutes walk across the park to Buckingham Palace.

We all agreed that this is a hotel where we would stay on another visit.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by TravisMT81
According to their website they are only 20 percent remodeled. They must be doing one room at a time.
Actually they are doing the left side of the hotel in entirety, then the right side (assuming facing the park). That's why there are no renovated rooms yet. Some months from now they will open up the left side and then do the right side. Meanwhile they have completely walled off the left side of the hotel. Where you used to be able to turn right coming up the stairs, now there's a wall there. That also means there is only one guest elevator. My room faces the left side so I can actually see into the rooms they are renovating and every one seems to be in some stage of renovation.

So the hotel inventory is reduced by 50% and I only got an executive room upgrade as Plat on points. Probably my worst ever upgrade here, but really an Exec room isn't that bad. Lots of space and a big closet. When I first walked in I found that someone had made the couch into a bed, so I called down and they quickly changed it back to a sofa. Maybe someone cancelled and I got their room.

They moved the reception over to the right side in a space where the new Club will eventually be. They have added a pub in front and will add a Link setup as the last part of the renovation. They gave me a free drink coupon at the Palm court for having to deal with the renovation, but I thought Plats always got a drink coupon? Or was that a long ago policy? I've been staying here for about 15 years so I've been through many policy changes.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by jimmycopp99
Just stayed there on a award, upgraded to deluxe (spg gold) room was dated so probably not a reno...have to admit I wouldn't stay at Le Merdian b/c it is about 1/3 a mile towards Piccadilly Circus while the Park Lane is more in Mayfair...great row of restaurants and bars about a 3 min walk out the back entrance and Buckingham Palace is a 5 min walk through the park..
I did have a chat with one of the front desk team as I've got an award night booked there for mid-November. From what she was saying, some of the renovated rooms are going to be handed over to the hotel some time in November but she couldn't give me an exact date.

She was really helpful which was quite encouraging.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 4:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The new pub in front of the hotel is pretty nice. 2for1 microbrews on Sunday and some other promotions that I don't recall. There aren't many customers yet due to the newness and the construction blocking much of the front of the hotel. But next summer they will put tables out on the sidewalk (set back a bit of course) and I expect it should do well then. And yes you can charge to your room.

There are two large pieces of art on the walls made up of the old copper tubing recovered from the hotel. Kinda neat.

I met a nice couple who were returning to the US via London and were big Starwood fans. Hello if you see this!
Old Jul 30, 2015, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by stimpy
Actually they are doing the left side of the hotel in entirety, then the right side (assuming facing the park). That's why there are no renovated rooms yet. Some months from now they will open up the left side and then do the right side. Meanwhile they have completely walled off the left side of the hotel. Where you used to be able to turn right coming up the stairs, now there's a wall there. That also means there is only one guest elevator. My room faces the left side so I can actually see into the rooms they are renovating and every one seems to be in some stage of renovation.

So the hotel inventory is reduced by 50% and I only got an executive room upgrade as Plat on points. Probably my worst ever upgrade here, but really an Exec room isn't that bad. Lots of space and a big closet. When I first walked in I found that someone had made the couch into a bed, so I called down and they quickly changed it back to a sofa. Maybe someone cancelled and I got their room.

They moved the reception over to the right side in a space where the new Club will eventually be. They have added a pub in front and will add a Link setup as the last part of the renovation. They gave me a free drink coupon at the Palm court for having to deal with the renovation, but I thought Plats always got a drink coupon? Or was that a long ago policy? I've been staying here for about 15 years so I've been through many policy changes.
I never had drinks coupons before the renovation, I think they are being given to all guests by way of an apology. On my last stay I got a slightly nicer than normal non-exec room for the first night before getting a large oddly laid out suite for the next 2 nights.

There is a real issue with construction traffic blocking the road where you drop off/pick up from reception. I had my car waiting for nearly 10minutes on 2 occasions on my last stay.

The Pub sounds interesting, where is this located is that the space opposite the Bracewells restaurant?
Old Jul 30, 2015, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
The Pub sounds interesting, where is this located is that the space opposite the Bracewells restaurant?
If you are facing the park, it's just on the left side of the entrance. Windows onto the street with both a lobby entrance and a street entrance.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 6:34 am
Suspended

Club Lounge

Looking to stay here in about 8 months (early April '15)- anyone have an idea if the club lounge will be open then? Website doesn't have any info on it.

TIA
Old Aug 3, 2015, 7:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by MotownMan
Looking to stay here in about 8 months (early April '15)- anyone have an idea if the club lounge will be open then? Website doesn't have any info on it.

TIA
April 2016? Plat Concierge told me recently that the lounge would be closed for a year and a half, but I didn't ask more specifically.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 11:03 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
April 2016? Plat Concierge told me recently that the lounge would be closed for a year and a half, but I didn't ask more specifically.
Oops- '16. Thanks for the info.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MotownMan
No, the Club is one of the last things they will build out so probably not til next summer or realistically autumn.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by stimpy
No, the Club is one of the last things they will build out so probably not til next summer or realistically autumn.
Is this because the club will occupy the current temporary reception area, so they need to relocate the reception back to it's rightful position before they have the space to work on the club?

I assume the new style Exec rooms will be club rooms?
Old Aug 3, 2015, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
Is this because the club will occupy the current temporary reception area, so they need to relocate the reception back to it's rightful position before they have the space to work on the club
Yes, that's what I was told.

I have no idea about the new Club rooms though.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 12:18 pm

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
to/from LHR

So for you regulars at the Park Lane:

When arriving/departing LHR (hand-luggage only so traveling light) do you find it easier to simply take the Piccadilly Tube line in from LHR (Terminal 5 if it matters) or take Heathrow Express to Paddington and taxi from there?

Seems to be about the same time-wise.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by geo1005
So for you regulars at the Park Lane:

When arriving/departing LHR (hand-luggage only so traveling light) do you find it easier to simply take the Piccadilly Tube line in from LHR (Terminal 5 if it matters) or take Heathrow Express to Paddington and taxi from there?
The tube is the easiest, if monotonous. But that's what your smartphone is for. To keep you entertained on the tube. But I suppose I used to just read a book or newspaper before I had an iPhone.

There are often long taxi queues at Paddington. And traffic on the way to the hotel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.