Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Grand London Park Lane, London, United Kingdom [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 23, 2015, 3:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Grand London Park Lane, London, United Kingdom [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2008, 12:25 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by ReneeMoss
...Can anyone tell me if/how it would be possible to get Breakfast included? I asked about adding on Breakfast w/points but was told they can't do that??
Even with the Pound (exchange to US) going down - it would still be too expensive for us to purchase outright.

l've read through the SPG site but can't find any information on this?? (I seem to remember that you could upgrade at check-in for a nominal amount of points, if suites were available - or am I confusing this w/aother Hotel Chain??
You could ask the hotel to process an Instant Award to cover this. 7,500 Starpoints = $US20, 15,000 Starpoints = $US40, etc. You would not get $$ change back for any credit not used.

If I am lucky enough to be upgraded to a Jr. Suite - or on a 'concierge floor' (using points) would Breakfast be included??...
Only if breakfast is a regular room feature/amenity for the Junior Suite/concierge floor room. But, it is more than likely that the hotel will try and place you in the same room type you booked originally, only the best of that type available at check-in, so if you have a particular room type or feature/amenity in mind, it might be best to just book it. That being said, I don't see a single room type...even among the suites...that lists breakfast as a feature/amenity of the room type.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Oct 22, 2008, 5:58 pm
Original Member

Programs: All Airline & Hotel Programs (POINT JUNKIE!)
Thank you...........

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
You could ask the hotel to process an Instant Award to cover this. 7,500 Starpoints = $US20, 15,000 Starpoints = $US40, etc. You would not get $$ change back for any credit not used.

Only if breakfast is a regular room feature/amenity for the Junior Suite/concierge floor room. But, it is more than likely that the hotel will try and place you in the same room type you booked originally, only the best of that type available at check-in, so if you have a particular room type or feature/amenity in mind, it might be best to just book it. That being said, I don't see a single room type...even among the suites...that lists breakfast as a feature/amenity of the room type.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
....for your reply.........I well remember last time you were a very big help with my booking at Moorea (March 2003) - you are such a great help on this message board. Thank you again..........

Regards, Renee Moss
Old Oct 22, 2008, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA PLAT, SPG PLAT. Collector of Chase UR points
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
You could ask the hotel to process an Instant Award to cover this. 7,500 Starpoints = $US20, 15,000 Starpoints = $US40, etc. You would not get $$ change back for any credit not used.[/email]
With all due respect, that deal stinks on ice. I value my points more that that. 45K points gets a $120 credit, while I cashed in 40K for a 5 night stay at the Park Lane which would have cost me about $350 USD a night if I had paid cash. I think I got the better deal.
Old Oct 23, 2008, 2:38 pm
Original Member

Programs: All Airline & Hotel Programs (POINT JUNKIE!)
OK......

Originally Posted by jrzyshawn
With all due respect, that deal stinks on ice. I value my points more that that. 45K points gets a $120 credit, while I cashed in 40K for a 5 night stay at the Park Lane which would have cost me about $350 USD a night if I had paid cash. I think I got the better deal.
I did use 48,000 pts. (new rate??) for a 5 night stay (pay for 4 get 5th free) then used another 6,000 for upgrade to an Executive Room (after reading this thread the Standard rooms sounded 'scary')........and perhaps with the Executive Room reservation I MIGHT have a chance at another 'upgrade'?
At our age (old as dirt - LOL!) it is important to get a restful night's sleep in a comfortable room.

jofegan posted what a wonderful 'bargain' was the meal/breakfast.
I was asking if/HOW it was possible to get Breakfast included since it seems there is that option if you are paying $$ and request that 'plan' ??

Starwood Lurker just offered available options - he didn't say they were 'cost effective' - I appreciate his post - but will save my points for better use.
Old Oct 23, 2008, 2:43 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by luvs2trvl
..I am an employee at a *wood property..and as such got an amazing rate there (89/us a night)

We ended up eating regularly at Bracewells, the breakfast restaurant in the hotel, as with the food &bev discount made the deal too tempting to pass (full english breakfast + the breakfast buffet featuring fresh oj, plenty of fruit and pastries to choose from and more).
Renee, I believe it was this member who posted the good value for breakfast. Perhaps the food discount of which they spoke was given because s/he is a Starwood employee.
Old Oct 23, 2008, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA PLAT, SPG PLAT. Collector of Chase UR points
Originally Posted by ReneeMoss
I did use 48,000 pts. (new rate??) for a 5 night stay (pay for 4 get 5th free)

Starwood Lurker just offered available options - he didn't say they were 'cost effective' - I appreciate his post - but will save my points for better use.
I made a mistake, I thought I cashed in 10k a night, it was actually 12k, so I paid 48k. My mistake.

I do appreciate SL response and information, but I was just offering my opinion also. I meant nothing against anyone, and I am sure they know it.
Old Nov 18, 2008, 11:48 pm

Going to be at PL 12/24-12/26. Any recommendation on close by restaurants that may be open for xmas eve/day?

We've never been to London, but the mrs does enjoy English Afternoon Tea quite a bit. How is the afternoon tea service at PL?
Old Nov 19, 2008, 2:51 am

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Just got back from my stay at the Park Lane and had an amazing time. Let me preface with that I am an employee at a *wood property..and as such got an amazing rate there (89/us a night)
We ended up eating regularly at Bracewells, the breakfast restaurant in the hotel, as with the food &bev discount made the deal too tempting to pass (full english breakfast + the breakfast buffet featuring fresh oj, plenty of fruit and pastries to choose from and more)
While I am happy you had a pleasant stay, boasting about employee only rates and food discounts doesn't really help anyone here. In fact it leaves a rather unpleasant aftertaste IMHO. I for one have stayed at the PL on GB299+tax rates and received only a fraction of the pleasent service you described in your post.

I definately intend to return to this property.

I wonder why?
Old Nov 19, 2008, 3:46 pm
tnw

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt
Originally Posted by fenger
Going to be at PL 12/24-12/26. Any recommendation on close by restaurants that may be open for xmas eve/day?

We've never been to London, but the mrs does enjoy English Afternoon Tea quite a bit. How is the afternoon tea service at PL?
You may try posting in the Travel and Dining Section regarding London Restaurants for Christmas Eve and Christmas Dinner. I received a lot of good info in that section when we were travelling to London right before Christmas last year. Not only restaurant recommendations, but Christmas concerts, sights, etc. Also, an email or phone call to the Concierge at the Park Lane might be helpful for suggestions as well.

The Park Lane does serve a wonderful Afternoon Tea. We have enjoyed it many times. Have a wonderful time. London is beautiful during the Christmas season.
Old Nov 21, 2008, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by Dambus
While I am happy you had a pleasant stay, boasting about employee only rates and food discounts doesn't really help anyone here. In fact it leaves a rather unpleasant aftertaste IMHO. I for one have stayed at the PL on GB299+tax rates and received only a fraction of the pleasent service you described in your post.
I'm sorry if it came off that I was boasting, however I was not trying to and apologize for that. I was coming off a 'high' so to speak of a trip that I had enjoyed so much.

Sorry to hear you may not have had the same experience, but each person will have a different perspective of an experience and while one may find it fulfilling and wonderful, another may leave dissatisfied. However, it feels as if my opinion is valued less by you since I am an employee and my rate was different than yours- would you treat someone on a hotwire rate that was a quarter or fraction of your rate differently as well?

For me, the journey just to get to London was such a hassle that any little thing that I experienced while at the hotel was nothing -- Had Continental/Virgin screw up our tickets trying to depart and head to London and nearly on the way back which delayed us by a couple days getting there..then the jumper in front of the train on the ride into the city... so little things like my sheets not having been changed when I had requested didn't really bother me much.

And yes, I still stand by that I plan to return to that property even if its not on an employee rate- the hotel was nice, the rooms were large, and the staff were very helpfull and made some stressfull days at the begining and during much easier to handle.
Old Nov 22, 2008, 11:30 am

We stayed at the Park Lane at Christmas a few years ago. You will fine London pretty well shut down. So we just had tea, Christmas dinner at the PL restaurants. It was just fine for us.

There are a couple pubs nearby in the old market area open Christmas Eve. We had a bite at one after the early choral service at Westminster, which I highly recommend, on Christmas Eve.

We also took a day tour boxing day down to Leeds Castle and Dover on Boxing Day, which was an interesting way to spend an otherwise extremely quiet day.

Cheers,
Old Nov 23, 2008, 7:45 pm

Thank to tnw's advise, I posted in the Travel&Dinning section and have gotten some great responses,
http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=10788519
Old Nov 24, 2008, 2:16 pm
tnw

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt
Thank to tnw's advise, I posted in the Travel&Dinning section and have gotten some great responses,
http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=10788519
So glad to hear it. The area around the Park Lane is great for walking and lots of great places close by. I am sure you will have a wonderful time. We found London to be absolutely beautiful around Christmas time.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 8:11 pm

I just got back from a week at the Park Lane and must say I will never stay there again. Next time I'll go a mile or so down Picadilly to the Le Meridien. I found the service quality poor (the front desk couldn't tell me how to dial a local phone number from my room, when I asked at the front desk about late checkout associated with gold status I wound up getting a phone call from the concierge at 1:30 am saying the front desk had asked me to call regarding a question I had, and it took 15 minutes to get a menu and then another 35 to get a burger in the Palm Court) and terrible value for the pound (it was cheaper to use my US mobile versus 1.55 pounds per minute at their rate).

That said, it is centrally located and close to good food and shopping. I had two great meals in Shepards Market a few blocks down Picadilly and then up a lane to a little square with some good places (The Little Cottage was my favourite).
Old Dec 3, 2008, 5:15 am

Programs: UA Million Miler, BonVoyLifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, President's Club,
It's always amazing to me how two people can have such different experiences! I had one so-so experience at Park Lane in 2005 (it was July with bad air conditioning) and then an amazing one in March-April 2008. My hubby and I were upgraded to the most amazing (for UK hotels) suite for 6 nights on my SPG Platinum half off points deal. We were treated very well, and sent gifts and treats, and full-size Molten Brown products.

Oddly, when I was at Le Meridien the summer prior, I was not at all impressed by the hotel. I was there the day the last Harry Potter book was released and as the hotel is across from Waterstone's Book Store, there were people from all over Europe staying at Meridien who dressed up like the Harry Potter characters and stood in line to get the 1st copies. News crews were everywhere and it was really crowded outside the hotel. I was given a newly remodeled room, but it was tiny and claustrophobic. Then I was changed to a suite (NOT remodeled) where the air conditioning didn't work well, but still I preferred it to the newer room, which I believe they called a "junior suite". I believe that the word "suite" is thrown around too loosely.

I think it has a lot to do with what one expects from a hotel. Having stayed at 5 different Starwood properties in London, the only one I wouldn't return to is Sheraton Belgravia. I loved the Park Lane's suite and location, and Le Meridien's location and helpful staff. But none were as great as Park Tower, where I was named "guest of the day" and treated very well. They heard I had a bad stay at Belgravia- I'm pretty sure their manager called the Park Tower to make sure I had a better stay there.

No matter what, it seems everyone has their own preferences regarding the London Starwood hotels!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.