Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Grand London Park Lane, London, United Kingdom [Master Thread]

Old Dec 23, 2015, 3:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Grand London Park Lane, London, United Kingdom [Master Thread]

Old Aug 9, 2015, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by geo1005
So for you regulars at the Park Lane:

When arriving/departing LHR (hand-luggage only so traveling light) do you find it easier to simply take the Piccadilly Tube line in from LHR (Terminal 5 if it matters) or take Heathrow Express to Paddington and taxi from there?

Seems to be about the same time-wise.
The tube is monotonous and can be very stuffy if it's hot outside, but it's far cheaper, and if you exit the tube on the park side at the correct exit, there are no stairs. Walk about half a block through the park, cross the street and you are there. It's a lot more straightforward than the train and a cab. For the Park Lane, it's pretty easy. When we stay elsewhere, we just suck it up and take a cab.

We go to the hotel on the tube (or a cab, the most straightforward of all, depending on how we feel after the flight). We always go back to the airport via cab, so we like to justify that by amortizing our cheap way to the hotel. We did the train once, and it wasn't cheap like the tube or easy like a cab, so we don't even consider it anymore.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 8:53 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
So for you regulars at the Park Lane:

When arriving/departing LHR (hand-luggage only so traveling light) do you find it easier to simply take the Piccadilly Tube line in from LHR (Terminal 5 if it matters) or take Heathrow Express to Paddington and taxi from there?

Seems to be about the same time-wise.
I would also vote for the Tube. Note that Hyde Park Corner station is a bit closer to the hotel but requires coming up to the street and then going back down into a pedestrian underpass (stairs only) and back up to get to the hotel. Green Park is a longer walk but fewer stairs, so definitely preferable if traveling with a rolling suitcase.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 2:12 pm

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Tube it is! Many thanks for the confirmations. ^
Old Aug 10, 2015, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by bgriff
I would also vote for the Tube. Note that Hyde Park Corner station is a bit closer to the hotel but requires coming up to the street and then going back down into a pedestrian underpass (stairs only) and back up to get to the hotel. Green Park is a longer walk but fewer stairs, so definitely preferable if traveling with a rolling suitcase.
I always use the Green Park stop. I'll only use Hyde Park corner if staying at the IC or FS or Hilton Park Lane. I don't have a rolling suitcase, but just find it easier via Green Park.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 7:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by stimpy
I always use the Green Park stop. I'll only use Hyde Park corner if staying at the IC or FS or Hilton Park Lane. I don't have a rolling suitcase, but just find it easier via Green Park.
Hyde Park Corner is very good for the Park Tower (LC). It avoids the stairs of the Knightsbridge station.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 1:24 am

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
Fail.

IMHO this hotel should not be operating as a Sheraton at the moment, as they simply cannot provide what is expected of a full-service hotel. They should shutter for the few months it takes to get the renovation over. As a business hotel, I expect at a minimum: a quiet room, internet, and a gym. At the moment, the Park Lane had none of these--or at least didn't provide them to me.

Be aware that 1) there is constant construction. I had the misfortune of being assigned a room right at the end of the occupied rooms and adjacent to the construction. You can imagine what it sounded like. 2) I had a two-night stay. The internet was not functioning for all but 3 hours I spent in the room. 3) They have no gym, and send you to the Le Meridian Piccadilly. They claim it's a 5 minute walk; it took me 10, not counting the wait at the Le Meridian once I got there or the time required to pack up all my things to take across town to change.

And that's over and above the issues I was expecting: the common areas are a construction zone, there is only one functioning restaurant in the hotel, the rooms are extremely dated with furniture that looks straight out of the middle of the last century, no decent coffee in the morning (typical instant w/kettle in the room, no take-away outlet on the hotel grounds), etc., etc. Also, I did not receive the "free drink" certificate mentioned upthread FWIW.

Yes, the staff was quite friendly and accommodating. But to charge well north of 200 pounds a night and offer this up as a full-service Sheraton is false advertising. I look forward to seeing what the property is like once renovation is complete, but at the moment they should be charging 100 pounds/night and offering themselves up as a 3-star Four Points at best.

Last edited by Erasmus; Aug 20, 2015 at 1:30 am
Old Aug 20, 2015, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
When did the gym close? It was open last time I stayed a month or so ago and it is I think a very good gym.

It isn't the only Sheraton property not to have a take out outlet. I can't think of a single European or Asian Sheraton that features those silly coffee filters so popular in the US either which typically produce an anaemic bland brew.

The room product in anything below an Exec room is substandard currently I would agree.

There was always only one functioning restaurant in the hotel in my experience.

You are paying for the location.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 6:33 am

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
FYI, got an e-mail from the hotel, which contained the following paragraph:

We are very excited to be opening our new bar in June and our new reception later in August but unfortunately, we will not be welcoming guests into our newly renovated rooms until early December. Your reservation remains confirmed and you can be assured that you will still receive the warm welcome and dedicated service for which the hotel is renowned.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 6:43 am

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Did you eMail the hotel to trigger that response? I eMailed the hotel's GM a week ago but still have not received any response...so will probably have to look for alternative methods of contact.

Greetings - Dirk
Old Aug 24, 2015, 7:34 am

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Nope - I got it spontaneously this morning as I had an upcoming booking for November. What's ironic is that I cancelled it a few days ago, after hearing the above reports that refurbished rooms would not be ready by then.

The following paragraph on the e-mail may be helpful to you:

If you are happy to keep your reservation and stay with us in one of our existing guest rooms then there is nothing further to do other than accept our apologies for this unforeseen delay to the unveiling of our new rooms. Should you wish to cancel or amend your reservation, please contact our reservations team on [email protected] and they will be happy to assist.

There's also a phone number on the signature: +44 (0)207.290.7575
Old Aug 24, 2015, 1:29 pm

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
I have seen the reports that the standard/non-executive rooms are in quite sad shape.

How are the studio suites at this hotel during the renovation? Are they at least in better condition?
Old Sep 1, 2015, 2:09 pm

I have seen the reports that the standard/non-executive rooms are in quite sad shape.
How are the studio suites at this hotel during the renovation? Are they at least in better condition?
Any updates or thoughts? I hope some of you Plats and Plutoniums have seen some suites here recently?
Old Sep 1, 2015, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat

The studio suites were in my experience the best type at this property (even then they are variable in quality with those not facing the park being best I found). Some of the Unrefurbed proper suites are in very poor shape indeed.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 3:39 pm

Considering the Great North Hotel will be reflagging under the Tribute Portfolio in exactly 8 days as a Cat 5, currently I would think it makes more sense staying there, despite the less desirable location
Old Sep 10, 2015, 1:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Thanks for the recent comments all... Have a upcoming travel plans to London in January and have been eyeing this property. Will reconsider staying here and look at The Park Tower or Le Meridian a bit more seriously..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.