Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Grand London Park Lane, London, United Kingdom [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 23, 2015, 3:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Grand London Park Lane, London, United Kingdom [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2008, 10:00 am

Programs: AA Gold, UA Premier, *Wood, Marriott Silver Elite
Originally Posted by ldsant
You must be on an expense account

Taking the tube is easy, less of a hassle (not dealing with London city traffic), and faster as well as a lot less expensive.
I just stayed there for 5 nights in October. I had reservations for Jr. Suite on SPG points. On arrival I was upgraded to Chelsea room, which was very spacoius. Bathrooms were huge as well, as compared to what I have seen in other European hotels.

Since I was travelling with two kids (2, and 5), I took the cab from LHR to hotel, but not the black cab, which can cost you a lot. A friend of mine gave me some contacts for private cab companies. They charge 48 pounds for one way trip, plus parking on arrival.

Taxi Company numbers that I was give by my friend in London
AK CAbs

Clock taxis

NW Cars

Star
Old Jan 13, 2008, 5:57 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, 2MM, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Diamond
I like it very much, stayed three times, every time upgraded, going again in June
drumbo
Old Jan 14, 2008, 10:47 pm

Excellent news then. Thx for the additional trip reports. The Park Lane will work perfectly for us then as long as we upgrade to a suite. We just bought a house, so our trip is getting postponed till next spring 2009. Due to all the purchases we had to make for the new house, we're up to 145000 pts now instead of 80K points. Yahoooooo! We've never hit much higher than 105k pts before. Hopefully the room rates for the Park Lane won't be 20k points in Spring '09 like the Park Tower is now.

I don't think we could stomach a 20+ hour flight to Australia anyway so London and Edinburgh are at the top of our short list for a 2 week trip from the east coast. I love the museums and my wife loves shopping. It's the perfect place for us both on Starwood points.

Steve R
Old Jan 14, 2008, 10:53 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Originally Posted by stever500
Excellent news then. Thx for the additional trip reports. The Park Lane will work perfectly for us then as long as we upgrade to a suite. We just bought a house, so our trip is getting postponed till next spring 2009. Due to all the purchases we had to make for the new house, we're up to 145000 pts now instead of 80K points. Yahoooooo! We've never hit much higher than 105k pts before. Hopefully the room rates for the Park Lane won't be 20k points in Spring '09 like the Park Tower is now.
Category changes are due to come out in February as mentioned in other threads.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by stever500

I don't think we could stomach a 20+ hour flight to Australia anyway so London and Edinburgh are at the top of our short list for a 2 week trip from the east coast. I love the museums and my wife loves shopping. It's the perfect place for us both on Starwood points.

Steve R
I would not get to excited because you can expect the points to go down in value with the us dollar. Who knows what it will cost in 2009. Better book asap
Old Jan 15, 2008, 4:18 pm

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
FYI, just noticed this hotel is on this week's Starpicks list, 127 GBP/nite.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by ldsant
Category changes are due to come out in February as mentioned in other threads.
Uh oh... I haven't logged on here in a while. The points are going up for hotels again in Europe? That stinks. I guess I can book for 2009 summer already? If the Park Lane will take a reservation that far in advance, we'd have to be stupid not to book it now.

Thanks for the heads up! This could have cost us ALOT of points by not reading this NOW!

Grateful,
Steve
Old Feb 26, 2008, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA PLAT, SPG PLAT. Collector of Chase UR points
I booked an award stay for Oct 2008 for 48K starpoints before reading this thread. I chose this hotel based on location. Can anyone confirm if it has had a total refurb? I am thinking I should changed to the Belgravia, But I don’t think it has a convenient location as the park lane does.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by jrzyshawn
I am thinking I should changed to the Belgravia, But I don’t think it has a convenient location as the park lane does.
Different strokes is what you'll hear on this forum, I suspect. I prefer the PL b/c of what I like to do in London - others like Belgravia or the PT.

In any event, I am unaware of the PL having had a complete refurb - I usually stay there 2 or 3x per year.
Best, Dave
Old Feb 27, 2008, 6:37 am

I booked an award stay for Oct 2008 for 48K starpoints before reading this thread. I chose this hotel based on location. Can anyone confirm if it has had a total refurb? I am thinking I should changed to the Belgravia, But I don’t think it has a convenient location as the park lane does.
No it has not had a total refrub. But there are lots of great, updated rooms.

I have never had a really bad one yet. If you aren't happen with what you get, ask the front desk for something better.

Can't beat the location, or the neigbourhood!

Cheers,
Old Feb 27, 2008, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA PLAT, SPG PLAT. Collector of Chase UR points
Thanks, I chose this hotel based on location, close to the tube, close to the park, buckingham and kensington palace. Are there any rooms or floors I should ask for (refurb rooms, ac rooms)?
Old Feb 27, 2008, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Are there any rooms or floors I should ask for (refurb rooms, ac rooms)?
Your reasons for choosing the hotel are the right ones, IMO. As for floors, I think you'll find them to be "brighter" - if they have exterior views - higher up.
Second, you might want to ask for a Studio Suite, which I find to be the best combination of space and updates.

Many of the more traditional suites are interior rooms, unlikely to be updated, and kind of drab.
Best, Dave
Old Feb 27, 2008, 3:08 pm

What's your view on the Sheraton Park Lane compared to the Intercontinental Park Lane or the Hilton Park Lane, assuming no upgrade?
Old Feb 27, 2008, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by bseller
Your reasons for choosing the hotel are the right ones, IMO. As for floors, I think you'll find them to be "brighter" - if they have exterior views - higher up.
Second, you might want to ask for a Studio Suite, which I find to be the best combination of space and updates.

Many of the more traditional suites are interior rooms, unlikely to be updated, and kind of drab.
Best, Dave
I agree. Some of the rooms overlooking Pic/Green Park are nice.

Cheers,
Old Feb 27, 2008, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by richarddd
What's your view on the Sheraton Park Lane compared to the Intercontinental Park Lane or the Hilton Park Lane, assuming no upgrade?
I don't know the other two. At least I haven't stayed there. They are all within spitting distance of each other. Just on Park Lane instead of Pic. So I can vouch for their locations at least.

They also appear to be much newer. I like the charm of the art decco style Sheraton Park Lane.

Cheers,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.