Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin St. Francis, San Francisco [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin St. Francis, San Francisco [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2006, 10:42 am

I stayed at this hotel Christmas Eve and I have to say while its nice, I wasn't overly impressed. We were in a nice room but the furnishings were a little old and the bathroom seemed grungy.

We didn't connect to the internet so I can't tell you about the cost, but parking was definitely outrageous. At least I got SPG points for it.

Enjoy your trip.
Old Jan 12, 2006, 10:45 am

If you search using the word "francis," you will find more threads than you probably care to read, and many of them with recent input. I don't have much personal experience at this hotel to share, sorry.
Old Jan 12, 2006, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
It's a historical hotel which means: classic.

It's not a modern Westin. You will, however, find standard Westin amenities with a pretty good view in some rooms.

However, it is in the middle of Union Square--shopping district, so expect MAD people

If you could stay elsewhere, I would stay at W San Francisco or St Regis SF. They are both on 3rd which is in a much quieter area next to SF MOMA but you are still close to everything.

Another good choice by embarcadero is Hotel Vitale--Plasma TV on the wall with huge rainfall shower in the bathroom ^ and you get front row ocean view of the bay and bay bridge ^. The only downside is that it's not a SPG hotel so the beds are not as comfortable
Old Jan 12, 2006, 12:31 pm

Programs: UA 1P; SPG Plat;
I was at the St. Francis a couple of times in the 4Q of 2005. I thought it was fine, as long as you stay in the Tower rather than the "historic" building. I think the internet deal included free domestic phone calls for about $16/day. The room was good size and I had a great view(I am Plat) of the Bay Bridge. Not a spectactular hotel but very nice in a good area of town for shopping and getting around. I agree that the W is much more modern and very well run, but it is a W with all that entails.
Old Jan 12, 2006, 12:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BAEC Bronze, DL Plat UA, HHonors Platinum, SPG Gold, Hyatt
Definitely stay in the tower rooms--mostly recently renovated, considerably larger than the 'historic building' ones. Internet is free in public spaces as well as across the street in Union Square, if it's a nice day, great to grab a drink and sit out there.
Old Jan 12, 2006, 1:00 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: CO OnePass Plat and SPG - Plat, Marriott Plat (don't use -it's a comp), AmericaWest CP
Originally Posted by BlissWorld
It's a historical hotel which means: classic.

It's not a modern Westin. You will, however, find standard Westin amenities with a pretty good view in some rooms.
I toured the hotel witht he Front Desk Manager not too long ago because I was soo mad at the Palace Hotel I vowed never to stay there again, he only showed me Tower Rooms, they are nice "Westin Style" Rooms, stick tot hem leave the Classic / Historic rooms for the people who have no clue.

The Suites seem to have amazing views BTW. Good Luck

-Vincent
Old Jan 12, 2006, 2:38 pm

Programs: Used to be elite in UA, SPG and Hertz...now I'm just a regular guy
Searching for anything with "St." in the title is problematic. I always get an error message. Leave that phrase out of the search and it'll yield better results.
Old Jan 12, 2006, 3:06 pm

Programs: AC, AA, SPG, Hilton
I don't know if you have any status but a Platinum may be able to get a junior suite in the historic side. Otherwise, you definitely should get a room at the Towers. I have seen the classic rooms in the historic side. They are really small (esp the bathroom).
Old Jan 12, 2006, 4:48 pm

I'll have to dissent a bit here.

I always go for the Union Square view rooms in the classic old hotel. I love the view, and the rooms are always large. These are the rooms that make this hotel unique.

Now, I am not very familiar with the rooms that may be lurking back in the darker corners of the old hotel. But the Union Square rooms in the old part of the hotel are great.
Old Jan 13, 2006, 5:57 am

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
Thanks to everyone for your responses.
Old Apr 13, 2006, 8:49 am
In Memoriam

Programs: CO OnePass Plat and SPG - Plat, Marriott Plat (don't use -it's a comp), AmericaWest CP
Westin St. Francis - Recent Stay Advice...

I recently stayed at the Westin St. Francis and has a less than fantastic time.

1. I was "upgraded" to a tradional room. No a major issues. I don't expect upgrades, I understand hotels get sold out.

2. Internet did not work due to physical technical difficulties, fixed it then charged me for it even though I decided to not use it. (was removed)

3. No Bottled Water for Platinum Guests, even though many times before I am told this is a complimentary iten they provide to all Platinums. I called for some, never was sent up.

4. No bathrobes - I'm told it is a standard by Starwood to have Bathrobes in all rooms, was eventually sent up.

5. Minibar System charged me for two items when I knocked, I was credited.

6. I had to really push for my Platinum Amenity.

Of these items 2,3,4,and 6 really bother me. I spoke with the Front Desk / SPG Manager and he apologized and promised my next stay would be better, but did not offer me any compensation - should I have expected some? I am not one to normally ask for points, but in the past at other hotels I have voiced my concern and they give me something to say sorry.

Advice? Comments?

-Vincent
Old Apr 13, 2006, 10:49 am
used to be 'Flyfarfar'

Programs: DL, AA, SPG, MR, HGP, IHG
Advice?

Originally Posted by vincom
SPG Manager...., but did not offer me any compensation - should I have expected some? I am not one to normally ask for points, but in the past at other hotels I have voiced my concern and they give me something to say sorry.

Advice? Comments?

-Vincent
Not trying to be rude but just want to point out the obvious, things aren't so easy to "roll with" when they happen to you are they?

I think you should take your own advice you gave me for the El Tamarindo situation and "deal with it", as things like this happen from time to time.

If at least, now the hotel knows they have some problems that can be easily remediated. I'm sure SPG will do something to make the situation right, even though your not exactly "expecting something in return".
Old Apr 13, 2006, 10:57 am
used to be 'Flyfarfar'

Programs: DL, AA, SPG, MR, HGP, IHG
Of these items 2,3,4,and 6 really bother me.

-Vincent
These have all happend to me on multiple occasions. Can't say they've all happend during the same stay, but have all happend on various different stays.

If 2, 3, 4, & 6 are the least of your worries, I think you'll be okay. Try the hotel not even being there for you to stay in. ^

Suggestions on how to deal with it:

2) Valid Concern, it got fixed so you could have used it.
3) Go to the vending machine/convenient store or go to the lobby and request a bottle of agua.
4) Bring your own jammi's next time
6) Ask politely upon check in for amenity, if not received, then follow up after your stay with corporate customer service.

Thats all, just my two cents.
Old Apr 13, 2006, 11:20 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
I recently stayed at the Westin St. Francis and has a less than fantastic time...Of these items 2,3,4,and 6 really bother me. I spoke with the Front Desk / SPG Manager and he apologized and promised my next stay would be better, but did not offer me any compensation - should I have expected some? I am not one to normally ask for points, but in the past at other hotels I have voiced my concern and they give me something to say sorry.

Advice? Comments?

-Vincent
Sorry your stay was anything less than spectacular.

I would definitely report #2 and possibly #5 to Corporate Customer Service - just as an FYI apparently since they seemed to have corrected the problem and apologized for them.

If #6 doesn't get credited, just let Platinum Concierge know and I'm sure they will take care of it ASAP.

#3 and #4 really would not be an issue unless you were staying in a room that was classified higher than traditional. If it was, then they should also be reported to Corporate Customer Service.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]
Old Apr 13, 2006, 11:58 am
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
Sorry your stay was anything less than spectacular.

I would definitely report #2 and possibly #5 to Corporate Customer Service - just as an FYI apparently since they seemed to have corrected the problem and apologized for them.

If #6 doesn't get credited, just let Platinum Concierge know and I'm sure they will take care of it ASAP.

#3 and #4 really would not be an issue unless you were staying in a room that was classified higher than traditional. If it was, then they should also be reported to Corporate Customer Service.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]
Thanks for the advice - I have escalated the issues are far as I planned to - Mr. Scott the Front Desk / SPG Manager happens to know me from previous stays and knows my recent stay wasn't exactly in line with my previous experiences. When I spoke to him after I left (as he wasn't in when I was there) he seemed very concerned over my expereinces - which is good enough for me aslong it doesnt happen again.

My post was really more about should I have expect some pointage offering or something, I normally don't but in the past when they ask at check out "how was your stay" and I'm honest - no complaining, but I tell it like it is, if it seems something they know was not as it should be they 90% of the time offer without me asking points or something else. I guess every manager decides to handle a situation differently.

I still think the Westin St. Francis beats the pants off the Palace Hotel and that it is awesome. This may change though when I finally get to visit the St. Regis in San Francisco.

-Vincent

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.