Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin St. Francis, San Francisco [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin St. Francis, San Francisco [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2015, 6:57 am
Suspended

Just got back from 4 nights @ this property and I highly doubt we'll ever go back to it.

The room (older part of the hotel, 10th floor) was in very poor condition. I understand a hotel is difficult to maintain but the LARGE pieces of paint peeling off the celling were pretty bad. The furniture was stained and dirty, the carpets are well past needing replacement and in general, the room was beat up. On top of all of that, the internet connection was pathetic. I ended up having to tether to my cell phone for a reliable signal.

When we ate in the Oak Room, the waitress managed to get 2 of 3 orders wrong. One of them was off the children’s menu which only had 4 items on it and what she brought wasn’t any of those 4.

I realize that only being a Gold member means we’re not at the highest level of priority to the staff but a bottle of water in the room would have been nice and I’ve yet to see a copy of my folio for the stay.

In contrast, the SFO Airport Westin (where we stayed prior to departing SFO) was spotless, very attentive and 100% on top of everything.

About the only good thing I can say about this hotel is that the staff were very friendly and the location is nice, but the next time we visit San Francisco, it'll be at a different property
Old May 2, 2015, 7:03 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by Stoughton
Just got back from 4 nights @ this property and I highly doubt we'll ever go back to it.
Ditto.

I'm here now and I think it's one of the worst Westin/plat experiences I've ever had. I booked a "Grand Deluxe Tower King" room and give two thumbs up to the marketing department for the names of their rooms. There is nothing grand nor deluxe about this room.

As a 100+ night Ambassador Plat SPG member, I was assigned an interior corner room. The view from my bed when I wake up is...a wall! There are no newspapers delivered, no bottled water, no vending on the floors, and housekeeping just kind of tosses the sheets on the bed. Both nights I completely remade the bed.

Check in was not just unfriendly, it was nearly hostile. Thinking maybe I rubbed the guy wrong, I watched him from across the lobby interact with three guests this morning and he didn't smile once. He didn't mention status, offer any kind of amenity or confirm my 500 bonus points. I'll confirm them on the way out; I didn't want to ask him.

Although the Market Street Westin just left the brand, there are many other Starwoods within a five minute walk of this one and that's where I'll be going next month. This one obviously relies on conferences and tourists.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 3:53 am

Originally Posted by EnvoyBoy
Although the Market Street Westin just left the brand, there are many other Starwoods within a five minute walk of this one and that's where I'll be going next month. This one obviously relies on conferences and tourists.
Which one specifically?
Old Nov 2, 2015, 4:15 pm

Programs: OZ *G, HHonors Gold, Aclub Plat
Just stayed here over the weekend and had a decent stay. No upgrade to a suite but upgraded to a large room in the renovated tower/wing. As plat, got $15 off breakfast per person.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 6:35 pm

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by calvinoeh
Just stayed here over the weekend and had a decent stay. No upgrade to a suite but upgraded to a large room in the renovated tower/wing. As plat, got $15 off breakfast per person.
Please add the information about breakfast to this wiki.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...-benefit.html#
Old Nov 3, 2015, 5:57 pm

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum.
I stayed here this last weekend as well. Agreed with the small likelihood of ever staying here again, though the lobby and location are nice.

They held a rave/Halloween party without notice to occupants that ran until the early hours of the morning and could be heard in the rooms. If you asked the front desk, they gave 6,000 points for the issue, which was nice.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 7:04 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by alexrubens
I stayed here this last weekend as well. Agreed with the small likelihood of ever staying here again, though the lobby and location are nice.

They held a rave/Halloween party without notice to occupants that ran until the early hours of the morning and could be heard in the rooms. If you asked the front desk, they gave 6,000 points for the issue, which was nice.
alexrubens, welcome to FT....
Old Nov 3, 2015, 7:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Would people prefer this or the Park Central? I saw the room redemption size of the Westin property and got turned off. The Park Central looks like it is a Westin inside though.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 7:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Remember this: The Park Central charges a "resort" fee, IIRC $27 per night.

Also, the locations have somewhat different characters.

Have you checked rates for the Palace etc.? I'd pick that (or some other Starwood in an acceptable San Francisco location for your plans) before I'd voluntarily go to either the Westin St. Francis or the Park Central.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 7:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Remember this: The Park Central charges a "resort" fee, IIRC $27 per night.

Also, the locations have somewhat different characters.

Have you checked rates for the Palace etc.? I'd pick that (or some other Starwood in an acceptable San Francisco location for your plans) before I'd voluntarily go to either the Westin St. Francis or the Park Central.
You're right.

It's a vacation though, so the points are 8,000 points per night more for the Palace. Any other options in SFO?

PS Thanks for this. A few of us were going to SFO for a Do, now we've switched hotels accordingly.

Last edited by superangrypenguin; Nov 3, 2015 at 8:07 pm
Old Nov 3, 2015, 8:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
There's a StR and maybe a W too in the same area south of Market, near the convention center and the art museum/galleries.

IIRC there's a Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf oriented toward tourists that is cheap (for SF) but gets mixed reviews.

Toward the financial district, there's a Hyatt (Regency, Embarcadero????, IIRC with the distinctive old atrium Hyatt architecture, in addition to the Hyatt on the opposite corner of Union Square from the Westin StF) and IIRC a Westin.

Have I missed any downtown hotels that are on the SPG list?

What are you planning to do during this vacation? Stuff right in the city, such as riding cable cars, or outside things like Muir Woods, Sausilito, etc. that require a car?
Old Nov 3, 2015, 8:41 pm
Suspended

There's a StR and maybe a W too in the same area south of Market, near the convention center and the art museum/galleries.

IIRC there's a Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf oriented toward tourists that is cheap (for SF) but gets mixed reviews.

Toward the financial district, there's a Hyatt (Regency, Embarcadero????, IIRC with the distinctive old atrium Hyatt architecture, in addition to the Hyatt on the opposite corner of Union Square from the Westin StF) and IIRC a Westin.

What are you planning to do during this vacation? Stuff right in the city, such as riding cable cars, or outside things like Muir Woods, Sausilito, etc. that require a car?
Thanks. It's for a Do, BTW I'm happy to invite you to it if you're around November 28th. At this point we're planning to go to a Michelin restaurant and to have a great night eating great food.

I don't think i'll be in the hotel room much but that's what it's boiling down to (costs for the room).
Old Nov 3, 2015, 8:54 pm

Programs: Delta PM Hilton Diamond Bonvoy Ti/LTP Hertz PC
If you're going slightly north of Market (which you are already doing with the Hyatt) there's a Le Meridien I like very much on Clay & Battery. The architecture of the building makes for some strange room shapes and wall angles, but I've had great success with upgrades there, the staff is nice, and the location is good.

Old Nov 4, 2015, 6:00 pm

Programs: Several here and there, but not as many during my road warrior days!
I agree check out Le Meridien. I believe they have just finished all the room renovations. It is a few blocks off the beaten path, but well worth it if you get a balcony on a nice weather day, and/or a room with a view. The bar downstairs can also be busy and fun.

The Park Central is centrally located and always seems to have the best rate wise. Of courser there is the $25 resort fee, but I have had luck as a Plat getting it waived or have received drink vouchers, extra points, etc. when I have had to pay it. The rooms are basic, but decent views. This hotel does have service level issues, but nothing too major. They also seem to treat Plats fairly well, but you have to ask!
Old Nov 5, 2015, 12:32 pm

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum.
Originally Posted by controller1
alexrubens, welcome to FT....
Thanks! Been a longtime lurker, finally had something to share.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.