Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Dubai: which Starwood property? [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dubai: which Starwood property? [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2011, 1:30 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, ITA Elite+, Cathay S, Singapore S, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Will be there December 13 till 19, will have a look into the Four Points by Sheraton Sheikh Zayed Road, Dubai.

Is the Deira area also fun to stay at?
Old Nov 15, 2011, 1:32 pm

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
I agree with Keyser that the 4 points are really nice. The SZR one is probably the nicest 4 points in the system or at least top few. I like the one on Mankool as well for the price. I almost always travel alone and I'm a cheap leisure traveler.

For the money I would use my FRN's at the Sheraton Jumeriah over the paid stay at Grosvenor House, although GH is very, very nice.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by thomas199023
Which hotel (s) would you guys recommend for first time visitors to Dubai who want to sight-see and do all the touristy stuff? (we have no problem in hotel hopping a bit)
One key point is will you rent a car or not? If not, I would just stay in town at the Creek or Deira. If you have a car and want to explore, then go out to Jumeriah.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 3:10 pm

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, ITA Elite+, Cathay S, Singapore S, Hertz PC, Avis PC
We will probably rent a car but am not sure yet for the entire 6 days. possibly only for the days we spend in Jumeirah. Would we also need a car for the Four Points by Sheraton Sheikh Zayed Road, Dubai?
Old Nov 15, 2011, 5:06 pm

We will probably rent a car but am not sure yet for the entire 6 days. possibly only for the days we spend in Jumeirah. Would we also need a car for the Four Points by Sheraton Sheikh Zayed Road, Dubai?
I like to rent a car in Dubai. traffic could be a problem but it is very convenient to have your car. last time i was in Dubai ( last Feb.) I rented a car for 13 days. in the morning i drive to work and in the afternoon i take my family out. you just can go wherever you want whenever you want

try visiting Ferrari world in Abu dhabi (about 90 min drive from Dubai- amazing experience) and while you are in Abu Dhabi visit the amazing Emirates palace hotel.

Dubai hotels do not charge for parking.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 12:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There is a metro somewhere near there I think. But it's not like the metro goes everywhere, so I would want to have a car there.

As for the traffic, it used to be horrific. But people who live there say it is much nicer now due to the bad economy.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 4:11 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Skywards Gold
Will be there December 13 till 19, will have a look into the Four Points by Sheraton Sheikh Zayed Road, Dubai.

Is the Deira area also fun to stay at?
Deira is pretty run down in general and traffic is bad, definitely go for SZR 4 points. It is easy in and out and has a great rooftop bar.

As for renting a car, not really necessary in Dubai as taxis are so cheap and plentiful. To go the length of Dubai is less than $20, most taxi rides as $3-$10. Also means you can have a beer on your travels (there is an absolute zero tolerance on drink driving). Only thing you'd need a car for is if going to the desert, but better to get a package tour as they'll teach you offroad driving and set the car up properly for the challenge.

Edit - Going to Abu Dhabi is an option, but a one day outing only. Ferrari World is largely derided though the above person seems to like it, the tour of the Sheikh Zayed Mosque is an absolute must though. Everything else, it's a bit boring.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 4:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DXBPlat
As for renting a car, not really necessary in Dubai as taxis are so cheap and plentiful.
I highly disagree with this. There may be a lot of taxis in this emirate, but they are not where you need them. I speak mainly as a business traveler, but I can't sit around and wait a half hour for a taxi to arrive. I very much need a car when I am in Dubai, unless I'm just holding meetings at a hotel near the airport. And I think the same thing holds when you are a tourist. You want to go when you are ready to go. Some places have lots of taxis waiting, but not every place.

And while you can generally count on most taxi drivers, there are some in Dubai who don't really know where they are going.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 7:53 am
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by stimpy
I highly disagree with this. There may be a lot of taxis in this emirate, but they are not where you need them. I speak mainly as a business traveler, but I can't sit around and wait a half hour for a taxi to arrive. I very much need a car when I am in Dubai, unless I'm just holding meetings at a hotel near the airport. And I think the same thing holds when you are a tourist. You want to go when you are ready to go. Some places have lots of taxis waiting, but not every place.

And while you can generally count on most taxi drivers, there are some in Dubai who don't really know where they are going.
I kinda agree with both of you!

You def. do not NEED a car in Dubai but you may PREFER a car There are tons of Taxis in almost any area a tourist could want/need one & in most key business areas too, IME.

I live & work in Dubai & do not have a car. I use the Metro & taxis. Mrs. NoY does have a car but then again she works in Abu Dhabi!

Most taxi drivers do know the main sites/areas well enough but like any big city (NYC anyone ) some are clueless of course.

Pay your money & take your choice
Old Nov 16, 2011, 8:28 am

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
If you're going for a 5 star experience then it's Grosvenor House all the way.

If I were you I'll use the z3h or z6h rate.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 5:05 pm

Okay thanks for all your help! I think I will book the Four Points by Sheraton Sheikh Zayed Road for the first three nights and the Sheraton Jumeirah for the last two. Will also rent a car was actually thinking about a day trip to Abu Dhabi myself looks fun!

@Keyser when will you be in Dubai?
Old Nov 16, 2011, 9:10 pm

it is worth it to call the car rental office in Dubai rather than booking online. some time you can get much better rate by calling the office directly. feel free to negotiate .

enjoy Dubai, its a great city. and you day trip to Abu dhabi should be fun
Old Nov 17, 2011, 12:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
@Keyser when will you be in Dubai?
3rd-7th....i guess i'll miss you by a few days....
Old Nov 17, 2011, 1:23 pm

I booked the 4P SZR for a nice rate of 414EAD incl tax with the beat the timer code staying there for three nights before moving to the Sheraton Jumeirah for two nights.

I found a car on Autoeurope.com, a Mitsubishi Lancer with ac for the whole stay for only 69.81 EUR is this to good to be true? Herts and Avis are asking over 300 Euro. '
I do need a International Driving Licence right?

Thanks for all your help guys!
Old Nov 17, 2011, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I do need a International Driving Licence right?
I don't think so. My US license works fine in Dubai. Not sure about Dutch permits.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.