Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Grand Sydney Hyde Park, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 22, 2019, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Grand Sydney Hyde Park, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2017, 7:04 pm

Programs: First Time Flyer
Originally Posted by spellbound2
We're debating staying at this property or Marriott Sydney. Has anyone stayed at both and has a strong preference either way. We stayed at the Westin Sydney in January 2007 and had a great time with a huge suite upgrade and the bathroom tub facing the harbor with floor to ceiling windows, but they are sold out for our dates. Thanks if you have any thoughts.
When?

I believe that the Marriott is still mid-renovation (still open to guests), so probably best avoided during this time unless you enjoy construction noise.

SoTP is a good property.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by spellbound2
We're debating staying at this property or Marriott Sydney. Has anyone stayed at both and has a strong preference either way. We stayed at the Westin Sydney in January 2007 and had a great time with a huge suite upgrade and the bathroom tub facing the harbor with floor to ceiling windows, but they are sold out for our dates. Thanks if you have any thoughts.
Do you have status???

As a platinum, I have stayed at both. Got a suite both times at SOTP. Stayed at Marriott Circular Quay in Nov. Front desk said I was upgraded to a room with a view of the bridge. Room was about 200 sq ft and if I pushed my face against the window and looked off to the right, I could glimpse the Sydney bridge. In front of us, nothing but office buildings. YMMV.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 11:07 pm

Programs: AA 8MM Exec,Life Plat, Marriott Amb,Life Titanium, ,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist.
Definitely the SOP

Just stayed at the Sheraton on the Park for Mardi Gras! Great hotel, comfortable rooms and beds....huge black marble bathrooms in each room. Upgrades to suites are hit and miss as they often lower the prices of suites to sell them for only $100 more then regular rooms depending on occupancy levels.....

Their club lounge is one of the best I have ever been to....Though they tend to aggressively sell it and Weekends are packed. Sometimes they send you down the breakfast buffet or to another lounge if they are too busy. Many people eat like they haven't seen food in weeks! Trying to save money on dinner I guess.

Overall unless you have the money or points for the Park Hyatt, this is the best game in town IMHO.

Cheers!
Old Mar 16, 2017, 1:31 am

Thanks for the ^^ for SOP. We'll look into staying there since we're Platinum. Do our benefits change when the programs fully merge and do you know when this is supposed to happen? We're going to Australia, Tasmania, Northern Thailand, and Laos so I'm hoping to have some breakfasts with our stays. The Park Hyatt is sold-out or we definitely would stay there after reading all the great reviews. Thanks for your help.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 5:49 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Previously top-tier everything, now a happy free agent
Originally Posted by Howard
What's up with the current rollaway charge of AUD 110 per night? That's much higher than I typically see in the US. Is it common to charge so much for a rollaway in Australia? We're using points for an upcoming stay, but this rollaway charge adds significantly to the cost of a "free" stay.
Howard, we were charged this when we checked in. The agents were very unwilling to budge.

I had a big issue with this because we booked our stay on points (for double occupancy), and then called the hotel to inquire about a rollaway. We must have reached a junior agent as she looked up the reservation and mentioned a rollaway is no charge. We had three people.

Indeed, in the terms and conditions of the booking, the rollaway clearly shows as "No charge."

I reached out to SPG and they confirmed that the extra person charge is $110 AUD, but this does not actually show when you are making the booking. I think it's because the rooms do not allow you to set the occupancy above 2.

Either way, we forked up the $110 AUD a night (since it was over the New Year period), but we were not happy about it because I would have booked at the Hilton or somewhere else instead.

My issue was not that the charge exists, but that the T&Cs of the booking say "no charge," so it's confusing for people trying to make a booking.

Extra person charge aside, I believe since the hotel was so packed over this period (since it's over the peakest of the peak period), the hotel was very busy policing its guests. Examples include:

- Staffing a team member outside the lounge to double check lounge access (and # of guests)
- Trying to upsell guests to a $2000 AUD/night suite (like the FD agent June tried to do to us at check-in), even though we booked the basic room type
- Not being allowed to grab your own drinks in the Club lounge (you need to request a staff member to do this), meaning you cannot even retrieve your own glass of water or cup of coffee

I understand all of these, but my family and I sort of felt like prisoners with the attitude the staff presented us.

I wouldn't stay here again.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 7:30 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Serving you drinks is what makes this lounge what it is (vs the disgusting way that Hilton SYD) has a line of people waiting to be served. It is also to comply with RSA legislation.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 7:38 am

Programs: SPG/Marriot Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Skyteam Elite Plus
Originally Posted by m0hamed
Serving you drinks is what makes this lounge what it is (vs the disgusting way that Hilton SYD) has a line of people waiting to be served. It is also to comply with RSA legislation.
Was there last Sunday and wrote a very long complaint. The way the serve alcohol is like at uni cafeteria.

Originally Posted by NYCtraveler
Their club lounge is one of the best I have ever been to....Though they tend to aggressively sell it and Weekends are packed. Sometimes they send you down the breakfast buffet or to another lounge if they are too busy. Many people eat like they haven't seen food in weeks! Trying to save money on dinner I guess.
Sorry I'm new here but did you compared to Sydney hotels. I found the lounge is pretty bad as I usually stayed in Asia where I usually have full lunch and dinner at the lounge.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 3:49 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Just received an email advising lounge closure for refurbishment from 7/16 through 9/30. It says the hotel has "arranged alternative venues for you to enjoy your Sheraton Club benefits" -- anyone have an idea what these alternative venues are?
Old Jul 12, 2017, 3:52 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jpdx
Just received an email advising lounge closure for refurbishment from 7/16 through 9/30. It says the hotel has "arranged alternative venues for you to enjoy your Sheraton Club benefits" -- anyone have an idea what these alternative venues are?
Standard procedure is a function room. It probably won't be the bar as they will still want to serve paying in house and external guests.

Pretty crap, we have a reservation in August.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 7:25 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Pretty crap, we have a reservation in August.
I was hoping for reports from someone who stayed after the 16th, or who has contacted the hotel to clarify. I've experienced closed lounges in various hotels, and the alternative arrangements I've seen range from (a) nothing to (b) breakfast in the hotel restaurant (and nothing else) to (c) breakfast plus some drink chits to (d) (as you describe) a function room or roped off part of the lobby used to replicate the lounge offerings to (e) breakfast and full dinner at the hotel's restaurant. As you say, it's likely that this hotel will opt for (d), but on the off chance that they offer (a)-(c), I'd book elsewhere.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 7:31 am

There's nothing on the website. I would call or email them.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 9:31 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
So long, oysters.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by jpdx
I was hoping for reports from someone who stayed after the 16th, or who has contacted the hotel to clarify. I've experienced closed lounges in various hotels, and the alternative arrangements I've seen range from (a) nothing to (b) breakfast in the hotel restaurant (and nothing else) to (c) breakfast plus some drink chits to (d) (as you describe) a function room or roped off part of the lobby used to replicate the lounge offerings to (e) breakfast and full dinner at the hotel's restaurant. As you say, it's likely that this hotel will opt for (d), but on the off chance that they offer (a)-(c), I'd book elsewhere.
I called the property. Breakfast will be in Times of the Park, from memory Level 1 open function area with views of Elizabeth Street. (I would ask for vouchers for the restaurant which they have generally offered if you ask nicely).

Evening canapés and cocktail will be in the Gallery Tea Lounge, the coffee shop on the ground floor on the opposite side to reception and concierge, again with windows overlooking Elizabeth Street.

It will be sad to lose the views out to the heads of the Harbour which you won't see unless you're allocated floors above 19 or use the gym.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 6:09 am

Programs: Spg, Marriott, Ihg, Bestwestern, United mileage plus, Aeroplan
I called the property. Breakfast will be in Times of the Park, from memory Level 1 open function area with views of Elizabeth Street. (I would ask for vouchers for the restaurant which they have generally offered if you ask nicely).

Evening canapés and cocktail will be in the Gallery Tea Lounge, the coffee shop on the ground floor on the opposite side to reception and concierge, again with windows overlooking Elizabeth Street.

It will be sad to lose the views out to the heads of the Harbour which you won't see unless you're allocated floors above 19 or use the gym.

I also sent an email to inquire, below is the reply from the assistant manager:
" Breakfast will primarily be in Feast Restaurant on Level 1 and Pre- dinner drinks & canapés will primarily be in The Gallery on Lobby Level"
I wonder if we will have free wi-fi in room
Best
Old Jul 15, 2017, 6:30 am

Originally Posted by Dudemiller
I also sent an email to inquire, below is the reply from the assistant manager:
" Breakfast will primarily be in Feast Restaurant on Level 1 and Pre- dinner drinks & canapés will primarily be in The Gallery on Lobby Level"
I wonder if we will have free wi-fi in room
Best
I would believe the email over the operator then.

SPG offers free wifi to all members now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.