Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Buckhead, Atlanta, GA [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Buckhead, Atlanta, GA [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2005, 1:45 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Arrow Westin Buckhead, Atlanta, GA [Master Thread]

thank goodness search is back. i did a search and while there were plenty of generic Atlanta starwood posts, nothing specifically on this property. so, here it goes:

checked in. no upgrade. suites under renovation. same thing at the Westin Michigan Ave a few nights earlier. can't wait to see all of these remodeled westin rooms.

not offered an amenity. had to ask as i was walking away.

the room was nice...it was a corner. heavenly bed and dual head shower were nice. room service was fast and tasty. i could see the (dumpy looking) sheraton buckhead from my room. the lobby was impressive. there were two ghiardelli (spelling?) chocolates on the bed as well as two decent size bottles of Panna water (which i love).

for some reason i was charged for both valet parking ($20) as well as self-parking ($15) even though i was only there for about 12 hours. the self-park was reversed at the desk at checkout. valet took too long. i called down from my room with my ticket number. after checking out i went outside (about 15 minutes later). the car wasn't there and i still had a good 5-10 minute wait after that. i wonder where these cars are parked.

i wanted to cash a $200 check. the front desk person scurried around to find the manager to get more cash but i had a meeting and couldn't wait for him/her to be materialize. so, he gave me what he had, $125 (about $40 were in $5 dollar bills).

didn't check the gym out, unfortunately.

in my room key folio was the following note:

"Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing The Westin Buckhead for your accommodations while in Atlanta. We appreciate your business.....

Please be advised that beginning on Friday, February 25, 2005, our Executive Club floors (21 and 22) will be under renovation. Accordingly, the rooms, suites, Executive Club lounge and its services will be unavailable. The scheduled date for completion of the Club floors is March 10, 2005. The renovation process will continue to move down through the hotel until the project is complete on May 19, 2005.

We do not anticipate any noise or other disruption during the renovation....

Warm Regards,

Tim Dahlen
General Manager"

Last edited by fly co to see the yanks; Feb 28, 2005 at 3:45 pm
Old Feb 28, 2005, 2:41 pm

Programs: Used to be elite in UA, SPG and Hertz...now I'm just a regular guy
I posted about this hotel in one of those myriad threads when search was down, but I'll expand on those thoughts here. My recent 2-night stay at this hotel was excellent. Lobby is immaculate. The Palm restaurant in the hotel is excellent, but pricey. There's a nice place called Dantanna's right next door that serves American fare (I recommend the salmon) in a sports-pub type atmosphere.

I did not receive a suite upgrade, but got a room on the executive floor just down the hall from the club lounge. I realize this may no longer apply since it's being renovated, but it was a very nice lounge with great desserts available in the evening. I didn't go in the morning or at dinner time, so I can't speak to those offerings, but the after-dinner fare was quite good. I was offered my amenity at check in. Received a personal e-mail from the GM after my stay saying the amenity didn't post with the points due to a technical problem, but he would see that the points posted and they did soon thereafter.

My room had a spacious bathroom (and speakers so you could hear the TV in the bathroom). Valet parking was always prompt, although it seemed a little pricey in a spread-out place like Atlanta, but I didn't see any "on the street" options nearby, unless you count the mall next door. You'd probably get towed if you parked in there overnight, though.

All in all, an excellent stay. My favorite Atlanta Starwood of the 3 I've been to now (Westin Peachtree and Westin Atlanta Airport would rank #2 and 3, respectively.)
Old Feb 28, 2005, 4:45 pm

Programs: United 1K, SPG Platinum, Delta PM, Marriott Gold
I'm staying at this property from 3/3-3/7. I opted for this property over the Westin Peachtree DT mainly because of its lounge. Does anyone know if they plan to offer any alternatives during the lounge closure ie breakfast coupouns...etc?
Old Feb 28, 2005, 5:02 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by loyalStarwoodfan
I'm staying at this property from 3/3-3/7. I opted for this property over the Westin Peachtree DT mainly because of its lounge. Does anyone know if they plan to offer any alternatives during the lounge closure ie breakfast coupouns...etc?
they offered me squat. i would be interested to see if others got coupons/vouchers or some other accommodation.
Old Apr 11, 2005, 3:51 pm

GM of Westin Buckhead (Atlanta)

Can someone provide me with his name and hopefully backchannel his email address to me via PM? Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 12, 2005, 4:19 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Jon Gegenheimer
Can someone provide me with his name and hopefully backchannel his email address to me via PM? Thanks in advance.

Since you don't say the reason for your request, I don't think anyone with that information is necessarily going to post it.

My experience with contacting hotel GM's has been successful when I call the hotel's main phone number and ask for the name of the GM. Once I have the operator assure me that it is the General Manager, not a front desk or other manager, I ask to be transferred to his extension. Rarely have I been asked to explain the reason for my call. In every case of leaving a message for a GM of a Starwood property, I have been called back in a reasonable amount of time or emailed, if I left my address.

If you want to contact him/her, I suggest you call the hotel and ask.
Old Jan 4, 2006, 4:17 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Thumbs up The Westin Buckhead delivers a fine performance

Greetings all,

I have been eager to share some positive feedback about Starwood so it’s a pleasure to say that I had a superb stay at the Westin Buckhead in Atlanta last week for the New Years holiday. ^
After a few Westin LAX stays in 2005 I can say this property has restored hope and faith in the Westin brand name once again.
Architecturally this has always been one of my favorite hotels in the city .
The property is still looking excellent all these years later.
I was a guest some years ago while working with the Swissotel folks here so it was fun to compare the differences since the rebranding of the property.

At check in I was surprised to find a team of friendly informed polished professionals.
Superior to the old Swissotel staff and better then most of the North American Starwood check in experiences especially over this past year.
I witnessed a team that genuinely seemed interested in guest satisfaction and their guests.Trust me its a lost art form out there in or out of Starwood world these days (sigh)
Have had some very disappointing check ins with staff that don’t have a clue about Starwood Preferred Guest benefits or procedures.
I was pleasantly surprised to see a seasoned Starwood team in action some of those that I knew from other area hotels through the years
Upfront I was told straight away as Platinum that I would not be receiving a suite of any kind but that I would get an excellent corner room that was pre-blocked on the club floor.
I appreciated that he didn’t say that there are just too many of you Platinum’s out there. He did kindly inform me that there are indeed a very limited amount of suites to upgrade too in house. As they say it’s all in the way you say it and this excellent check in agent I later found out was one of the front desk or office managers.

The room accommodations were exceptional as was the club lounge.
The cement beds that in the past kept me up counting sheep all night have all been replaced by the legendary “Heavenly Beds”
I must say what a difference a bed still makes even after all these years………..Last week I also sampled the new Sweet Dreams Bed by Double Tree and the New Full service Hilton bed that also that provide a very good night sleep.The Heavenly Bed and the W Bed have the slight edge IMO still giving credit where credit is due.............

The Westin folks were smart to remove the embarrassing gymnasium shampoo containers on the shower walls and bring back the individual shampoo bottles once again as amenities
The one thing they should have tossed out along side the shampoo dispensers were the robotic mini bars.They remain from the Swissotel era

Unlimited complimentary beverages 24/7 without locks and warnings on the club lounge glass door refrigerators.No signs stating to limit consumption to one beverage a day per guest as at the Westin LAX

Offerings were very nice in the morning and at night. There is a very nice spread along with am extensive dessert buffet.This would be more in line with the Grand Hyatt, The Ritz carlton or the new Inter-Continental down the road.
The fitness center and pool were very nicely executed but as in every Westin fitness center I have witnessed more choices and selections of equipment are needed.
The only thing stopping this property from being my number one choice in town is no complimentary computers to access email in the lounge as does the Grand Hyatt down the block.Without a lap top the business center that used to be free to Swissotel Gold guests would now could cost you the price of the room to communicate with your office or home.

Shy of that the hotel IMO is quite generous more so on average then most other Starwood properties in North America .They are simply doing a very respectable job creating value for all of their customers and especially Platinum’s.I asked the hotel for the possibility of a late check out for example
the reply: Absolutey Mr.Milehound its your earned Platinum benefit and you deserve it I wish I could have put it on tape for a number of the hotels to listen too who have told me in the past get out at noon so the housekeepers can go home

I give this property the official Mile Hound Hound Bark and two paws up.
I would highly recommend the Westin Buckhead :-: :-: :-: :-: to anyone coming to the area.
It remains one of the top choices in town with a near perfect location to everything the city has to offer.
They will see me without question in the future like it or not
Cheers

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Jan 4, 2006 at 8:44 pm
Old Jul 21, 2006, 6:17 pm

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
Westin Atlanta Buckhead - Platinum Experiences

Does anyone have any experiences at Westin Atlanta Buckhead as Platinum?

Even if you have stayed there and are not PLT, am interested in comments.

Thanks.
Old Jul 21, 2006, 9:09 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum;HH Diamond; PC Platinum; Marriott Platinum
This is my favorite SPG property in Atlanta. Best club lounge by far. I have stayed at the property around 60 nights since it was reflagged as a Westin and have always been upgraded. Usually to a club level room, but received suites on several occassions. But note that this property does not have many suites, so they are not often available. Also a great location, within a block of the mall and about 2 blocks to the Marta Buckhead Station.
Old Jul 21, 2006, 11:43 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Thumbs up A fine performance

Excellent Stay there.
Overall Starwood has done a remarkable job in that market ^
Downside they no longer have the complimentary business center that was there previously for Swissotel(brand before Westin) elite guests.
Old Jul 22, 2006, 7:44 am

Programs: DL/PM, *Wood Platinum
Just to confirm what others are saying: this is the best *wood in Atlanta. I think it is what the W is supposed to be.
On an award stay, got a great corner room for the Peachtree Marathon (terrific view!) and the lounge is very nice, well-provisioned. Great personnel where you want them (reception, concierge) though some of the lounge attendents were fairly unremarkable (when I alerted one of them to the fact that the milk I had used on my cereal had soured, he wordlessly removed the offending bowl from my table -- no "gee, sorry" or "gosh, how did that happen?; I better check the rest of the milk" or "let me get you another bowl of cereal"). Also, the workout room is fine but the pool is pretty dinky. Apart from those minor glitches, this was a great place to stay.
Old Jul 22, 2006, 11:15 am

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
Thanks. 2 quick questions:

1. is there a shuttle to Lennox Mall?

2. Is there a jacuzzi?

3. Is Club Lounge open on weekends (I assume no?)

Many thanks again for all the responses.
Old Jul 22, 2006, 1:13 pm

Programs: DL/PM, *Wood Platinum
Originally Posted by freeupgrade
Thanks. 2 quick questions:

1. is there a shuttle to Lennox Mall?

2. Is there a jacuzzi?

3. Is Club Lounge open on weekends (I assume no?)

Many thanks again for all the responses.
1. No shuttle needed -- the hotel is 50 meters from the Mall.
2. No jacuzzi.
3. Lounge is open on weekends. ^
Old Sep 23, 2006, 2:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Post Westin Buckhead Atlanta - Trip Report

I have not been to this property since it was the Swissotel. So I wanted to check it out and since the Starwood bonus promotion is going strong I thought I would check the property out.

SUMMARY
Check-in/check-out
The check-in was slow. I arrived around 12, and they took a while to find a room. The check-in agent was new and two rather large groups were checking in so I just chilled and checked email. However, after 30 minutes I did wonder what the deal was. At this time a manager was at present. Seems that they wanted to put me on the 21 floor, but the room was scheduled for a late check out. However, the same room type was available on the 19 floor (big difference right) so I decided to take that. Not a big deal but it would seem that the check in agent could have done that from the start, but I guess you learn as you go on.

Common Areas = 8
While waiting for my room I did sat in the lobby which is two stories, which is clean, open and spacious, with an uncluttered and inviting check in area.
In the Lobby, near the registration desk, there are two free pc’s for use
In the Lounge area there is a Starbucks and access to the Palm’s restaurant.
Quiet elevators to guest rooms
Hallways are nice and well appointed and lit.
Nice furniture, clean & quite hallways leading to guest rooms.

High Speed wired/wireless Internet Access = 9
There is free HSP wireless in the lobby. Although in my room I could get a unstable signal, but could pick up signals from surrounding buildings.
You can pay for HSIA in your room. I suspect if was on the Club Level it probably would have been free.

Guest Rooms = 8
I was given a corner room with access to the lounge. But Buckhead has horrible views.
The room was clean with good lighting
small work station with plenty of electrical sockets
Heavenly Bed
Well kept furniture.
Couldn’t hear a thing from the adjacent room
There are only six or seven (I can’t remember) suites in this property so suite upgrades will be hard to come by.
Well lit deep closet
No flat screen tv

Guest Room Bathrooms = 5
Residential sized bathroom, perfect for a couple
Pedestal sink was a downer, there is a small ledge to put toiletries on and a large mirror.
Shower stall & deep soaking tube
Minimal amount of hand & body towels
Typical Heavenly bath toiletries

Housekeeping = N/A
No issues as I only spent one night in the property, but upon arrival in my room and inspect to make sure there are no issues the room was spotless.

Westin Club Level/Lounge = 8
Well appointed lounge but didn’t partake of any servings.
But there seems to be free water, fruit and juice available all day
Evening turndown and ice service

Fitness Center = 9
Complimentary 24-hour fitness center with free weights, treadmills and cardio machines. You enter looking directly at the pool, to the right there some cardio machines and a stretching area. To the left there are free weights and more cardio machines and access to the pool.

Pool = 5
You can access the pool from the fitness center. It’s nothing spectacular, very plain and basic

Business Center = N/A
Located on the second floor, the property states it has a host of services. I do not know what the menu of services is though.

Concierge = N/A
There is a concierge on staff, but I didn’t use them

Parking/Valet = 9
This was one of the better valet staff I’ve encountered at any property. I think I counted 6/7 people directing traffic & checking in/checking out cars. When I called down from my room upon checking out, I requested my car. I walked out onto the motor court and the car was front and center!

Dining = N/A
Didn’t use a restaurant

Would I return? Possibly, based on the price
Would I recommend? Yes, based on requestors needs and price point
Would I recommend restaurant? No. The palm is an average chain
Value for price paid? Great. Compared to the Sheraton, and the Hilton properties near by

Overall property rating on a scale from 1 to 10 = 9

Last edited by KENNECTED; Sep 27, 2006 at 2:44 pm
Old Sep 23, 2006, 3:21 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Thumbs up This should be the chainwide experience

Now to my mind, this is precisely the sort of experience and total package that a guest should reasonably expect at EVERY WESTIN HOTEL! From all reports, this is an exceptionally well run property with well trained, attentive staff, well appointed guest and public rooms, good location, etc.

I hope there are substantial benefits in place for properties that are so well run and surely receive top notch guest reviews. I also hope that there are significant penalties in place for hotels that stumble in many areas and don't pay enough attention to details.

Kudos to the Westin Buckhead for running a tight ship!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.