Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Buckhead, Atlanta, GA [Master Thread]

Westin Buckhead, Atlanta, GA [Master Thread]

Old Jun 30, 2010, 3:00 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Originally Posted by mrredskin
"As an added bonus, get free parking ($30 daily value) and an upgrade to the club-level floor ($50 value), where perks include free breakfast and evening appetizers."
Since the offer is for a room that includes an upgrade to club-level, you should expect that a reservation for a traditional room should get you the same thing. To be more certain that a mistake doesn't happen due to overselling the club-level, I'd book the Club room for the same price.

I assume this earns points since it's not an advance purchase rate, and able to be cancelled up to a day before arrival.
It would earn points even if it were an advance purchase rate. Advance purchase rate reservations booked on Starwood websites are eligible stays. (Why do so many people keep assuming the worst and thinking that they aren't? )

I ran across this offer a little while ago and was going to post it here on FT. Instead, I found that it had already been posted here in the property's Master Thread. Is it just me, or do others agree that a better place to post such deals would be in new threads in the forum? It seems like they would be seen by more FTers who do not normally follow every detail of a particular property. For good Travelzoo offers, I usually create a new thread like this...
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...ight=travelzoo

Anyway, I'll add this info about this $99+ Westin Buckhead Travelzoo promo:
  • Book by July 7.
  • The Club Lounge will be closed July 5-12; breakfast will be in The Palm restaurant.
Old Jul 1, 2010, 7:34 am

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
I was going to create a new thread about this, but figured it would get merged into this one.

i misread the bonus, myself. i read the club level as being $50 to upgrade to that level instead of it being a $50 upgrade. the reason was because it did show up as being $149 or $159 on initial booking, but when i went to change the reservation (awesome, btw), i could change to the club lounge for no additional charge and actually have it show on my reservation.

When you think of ATL on this thread, you think of DL, as well. So, we have to assume the worst

i actually commented on that thread of yours. didn't remember that at all

Last edited by mrredskin; Jul 1, 2010 at 7:42 am
Old Jul 28, 2010, 11:18 am

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sc flier
It would earn points even if it were an advance purchase rate. Advance purchase rate reservations booked on Starwood websites are eligible stays. (Why do so many people keep assuming the worst and thinking that they aren't? )[/LIST]
I know we aren't talking about an advance purchase here, but I took advantage of the $109 Travelzoo promo and it appears the hotel is reluctant to post stay credit and points for anything but incidentals. Apparently the Westin Buckhead is under the impression that this was booked on a third party website. I'm pretty sure I booked this the same way as my previous Travelzoo reservations (which I have always received credit for) where I clicked through Travelzoo onto a Starwood Hotels website with a promo code pre-entered into the special rate plan field. Per the terms and conditions, I'm pretty sure I should receive credit. I already have filed a claim with the CCC so I'm confident this will get straightened out, but if you've taken advantage of this deal (which I thought was very good, btw), you may have difficulty getting the appropriate stay credit and points.

I'll keep the thread updated.

Last edited by el_tigre; Jul 28, 2010 at 11:26 am
Old Jul 28, 2010, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by el_tigre
I know we aren't talking about an advance purchase here, but I took advantage of the $109 Travelzoo promo and it appears the hotel is reluctant to post stay credit and points for anything but incidentals. Apparently the Westin Buckhead is under the impression that this was booked on a third party website. I'm pretty sure I booked this the same way as my previous Travelzoo reservations (which I have always received credit for) where I clicked through Travelzoo onto a Starwood Hotels website with a promo code pre-entered into the special rate plan field.
It was indeed booked directly through a Starwood website. The Travelzoo page is still accessible with the link to the Starwood reservations page. (Booking deadline was July 7, though.) You should also see your reservation in your stay history on spg.com and should have received an official reservation confirmation email directly from Starwood.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 11:47 am

Yep, the Westin Buckhead is indeed listed as a past stay on my spg.com account and I did receive the typical Westin "Rest Easy" email confirmation directly from the hotel immediately after booking. As I said, I have already opened a case with CCC, so I'm sure this will be taken care of.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 7:51 am

thanks for the update, tigre. i'm checking in tonight (and again two weeks from today). how was the club floor and the rest of the experience?
Old Jul 31, 2010, 12:25 pm

Update: Received an email yesterday that stay credit and the appropriate points had been credited for my Travelzoo rate. As always, Starwood customer service comes through again.

mrredskin, it sounds like you are already at the hotel, but the rest of my stay was wonderful. Club floor was great. Breakfast included a wide selection of cold items and three hot choices, usually eggs, bacon and another random selection. For the afternoon, lots of cheeses, meats and also two hot items. Beer and wine were complementary. Attendants were extremely friendly and helpful. It was among the best club floors I've experienced in the U.S.

I thought the rest of the hotel was very nice. The gym was a nice size and includes a pool, sauna and steam room with separate men's and women's changing rooms.

The room itself was exactly what you would expect for a Westin. Overall, I'd highly recommend the hotel, particularly with that Travelzoo rate. Excellent value.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 5:14 pm

i'll double-up on el_tigre's review. Very impressed with the hotel and lounge. This was my first experience with a *wood club lounge. My last, and only, before this, was at the Hilton Washington. Didn't take advantage of complimentary alcohol since i'm on some 'scripts for allergies right now :/ Staff around the lounge was very friendly. All of the food I had was good.

WARNING to those who may be staying on high vacancy days. The lady overseeing the lounge this past weekend said that the lounge will be closed on certain days (tonight (Sunday) being one of those)). I would be very disappointed and having a talk with the manager had I booked a rate in which I were to receive lounge benefits, only to find out it is closed because they can't fill up a certain amount of rooms.

Valet was easy, and staff was very accommodating. Lenox Square Mall is literally across a two-lane road, the W is dwarfed by the Westin, just a couple of buildings down towards downtown. Did not inquire about any upgrades since I was already getting a club floor room for a good rate. My only two complaints would be with the shower in the standard King - VERY small, and also the large, vacant space below the wet bar area that could easily house a mini-fridge. Not a big deal since you're on the club floor, but it's just wasted space in it's current state. I usually like having a cold one or three at my disposal.

Again, very impressed for $99 rate thru travelzoo. hopefully the club will be open when i return in two weekends for dodgers-braves series
Old Aug 1, 2010, 9:10 pm

Programs: SPG Plat
WARNING to those who may be staying on high vacancy days. The lady overseeing the lounge this past weekend said that the lounge will be closed on certain days (tonight (Sunday) being one of those)).

My only two complaints would be with the shower in the standard King - VERY small, and also the large, vacant space below the wet bar area that could easily house a mini-fridge. Not a big deal since you're on the club floor, but it's just wasted space in it's current state. I usually like having a cold one or three at my disposal.
I was there on a weekend when the lounge was closed. In lieu of the lounge I was given a room service credit of I believe $20, so at least I got something for the trouble. Of course with all the built in fees and gratuities that doesn't get you as much as you think.

I'm puzzled as to what room you got. The shower/bath seemed to be pretty standard sized to me. Unless you got one of the corner rooms with the separate shower stall(which are small) and bathtub. Those rooms are not standard and I believe considered an upgrade.
Also, I never saw a wet bar in any of the rooms. The rooms also do have a fridge...it's in the cabinet below the TV. It's the old minibar fridge that they no longer stock.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by SixString
I was there on a weekend when the lounge was closed. In lieu of the lounge I was given a room service credit of I believe $20, so at least I got something for the trouble. Of course with all the built in fees and gratuities that doesn't get you as much as you think.

I'm puzzled as to what room you got. The shower/bath seemed to be pretty standard sized to me. Unless you got one of the corner rooms with the separate shower stall(which are small) and bathtub. Those rooms are not standard and I believe considered an upgrade.
Also, I never saw a wet bar in any of the rooms. The rooms also do have a fridge...it's in the cabinet below the TV. It's the old minibar fridge that they no longer stock.
it was 2106 i think? anyway, 21st level, turn right, and 2nd to last on the left.

There was ONLY a shower, and it was definitely only made for one person. This room had the wet bar sink and faucet but that was it. Under the cabinet, it was gutted with no fridge. The cabinet below the tv in this room housed the.... wait... did I even open the mini bar fridge, now that i think about it? I'm pretty sure I did. ****, maybe I didn't and the fridge was actually in there. I dunno, now I'M confused :/

If it's closed when I'm there again next weekend, $20 isn't gonna cover it... not even close. shouldn't it be a $50 credit? they "value" the club floor/loung at that amount.

update: 7th day after check-in, and points have not been posted. Emailed a copy of my receipt today. After seeing the St Regis post the day after I stayed (the hotel I stayed at AFTER westin), i had a feeling this was going to happen :/

Last edited by mrredskin; Aug 6, 2010 at 11:01 am
Old Aug 15, 2010, 7:26 pm

completed 2-night stay here again on the travelzoo promo. the promo is NOT allowing any starpoints or stay credit to be earned (which was a concern of mine more than a month ago, as stated previously). the front desk confirmed that they cannot edit this, and customers would have to fax or mail in their receipt to get credit for the stays until it would be "fixed" in their system.

also, this is the first time i've stayed at a *wood that offered the 500 point "green" bonus. they default you to the $5 credit to be used at the hotel, but i took the points, of course.

the former in-room mini bar (that actually still says mini-bar) is, in fact, just a gutted fridge. ours was not plugged in.

if you're in the lounge and the younger girl is working, ask her not to drop a tray full of about 30 juice glasses at 7am. i gave her some hell for that one... jokingly of course.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 8:56 pm

completed 2-night stay here again on the travelzoo promo. the promo is NOT allowing any starpoints or stay credit to be earned (which was a concern of mine more than a month ago, as stated previously). the front desk confirmed that they cannot edit this, and customers would have to fax or mail in their receipt to get credit for the stays until it would be "fixed" in their system.
Don't you have a reservation number from Starwood? Even without that, I don't see why it should be difficult to fill out a Report for Missing Stay. There shouldn't be a need to fax or mail in anything.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by sc flier
Don't you have a reservation number from Starwood? Even without that, I don't see why it should be difficult to fill out a Report for Missing Stay. There shouldn't be a need to fax or mail in anything.
SPG Gold line told me to do the fax/email method 7 days after the stay.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 7:50 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, AC*E, PC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Delta Gold
I plan to be in the Buckhead area just before Christmas for a couple of nights. I'm a Plat. What's the track history on this hotel upgrading Plats and is it likely upgrade to a Club room, given the limited number of suites at this property?

Last edited by SPG Junkie; Sep 22, 2010 at 8:57 pm
Old Sep 14, 2010, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium Marriott Platinum for life.
Originally Posted by SPG Junkie
I plan to be in the Buckhead area just before Christmas for a couple of nights. I a Plat. What's the track history on this hotel upgrading Plats and is it likely upgrade to a Club room, given the limited number of suites at this property?
I go only on the weekends, and as of the four times I have stayed, I have gotten a suite 100% of the time.
BTW, the junior suites on floors other than the club levels, are actually two room suites, rather than just one big room, which is the way they are on the club floors.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.