Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Salt Lake City [Master Thread]

Sheraton Salt Lake City [Master Thread]

Old May 9, 2015, 7:36 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
Originally Posted by cfabar1
We stay at this property often, and while I would not find it particularly great, we generally enjoy our time enough... I can't imagine calling it the worst hotel in the entire SPG Portfolio...
Back again after a stay in Dec 2011. Doesn't look any different. Burned SNAs and got a "Jacuzzi Suite" on the first level at the very back of the hotel next to the trash compactor, which cycled all night. Sketchy neighborhood due to proximity of Pioneer Park which is this city's excuse for a homeless shelter. One of the back doors had its latch jammed with a dime so I fixed that. Was approached several times in the parking lot walking back from dinner or whatever and aggressively asked for money.

The room was very nice, everything felt new-ish. Didn't use the jacuzzi, and whenever someone went up or down the stairs next to my room it sounded like a cattle stampede. I'm going back for a few more days and pulled my pending SNAs because the suites are only in the two-level old part in the parking lot; I'd rather have a standard room in the tower. I'm at the Monaco for the weekend because the Sheraton was sold out and it had a good weekend rate, but the room is tiny and there's a large stationary engine nearby that revs up every 30 seconds day and night. Generator or pump or something. SUPER annoying. rrrRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRrrrrr.... repeat.

Update: back in a top-floor club room, renovated and pretty nice. Best thing? It's quiet! I was waffling about this place for next month's trip but decided to come back.

Last edited by born sleepy; May 10, 2015 at 8:54 pm
Old Sep 2, 2015, 1:52 pm

Nine night stay.

Positives:
- I (Plat) was given lounge access and a token redeemable for buffet breakfast in the restaurant. Lounge breakfast wouldn't have been attractive for me. (I'm strict vegetarian, so it's just fruit and dry cereal for me; there's a much more limited supply and choice in the lounge.) The restaurant breakfast seemed to have all the usual stuff: bacon and eggs and sausages, breads, yogurt. The granola - raw, not too sugared and fat-ted up, what I think of as muesli - was good. Service was almost universally pleasant. (If you visit, you'll probably see what I mean.)
- The lounge reliably had raw vegetables in the evening. Yay. They also had about three hot dishes in rotation: pot stickers, spring rolls (I think they're called - little fried tubes of pastry around vegetables and/or pork?) and fried ravioli. Obviously, I didn't sample any of these. There was also an amazing selection of "local" beers in bottles. Again, I didn't try. I was a little surprised when guests turned up their noses at the 15 varieties on offer and sent the hostess to downstairs to retrieve Bud Light and Coors Light.
- Make a Green Choice, 500 points a day for full stay.

Neutral:
- I didn't care for the woman that looks after the lounge, 5 days, breakfast and evening. Some people seemed to like her fine. It could just be me. Probably. I had the same reaction at previous stays.

Negative:
- I had the room next to the noisy and frequently used ice machine and the soda vending machine.
- I reported some broken equipment in the fitness center on Thursday night. Immensely popular piece of equipment. I reported again on Friday (when the Maintenance/Engineering people were working), on Saturday night and on Monday morning. Apparently no one ever even looked into my report. There was no repair and no "out of order" sign. Tuesday morning, when the business travelers returned, there was a lot of disappointment in the fitness center. I also saw one woman fall trying to use the broken machine; apparently she didn't suffer any significant injury.
- Good luck getting a seat in the lounge any time around 6:00PM. I don't know about breakfast crowds other than a few mornings when I fought my way through the hoardes for a cup of coffee.

Last edited by 365RoadWarrior; Sep 3, 2015 at 9:44 am
Old Sep 27, 2015, 5:54 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Question more questions

I read the reviews and it seems this property was recently renovated? Can any FT share details?

Also, suite upgrades are said to "lofts" and a long walk away from the rest of the property? Are they worth the effort?
Old Mar 25, 2016, 6:04 pm

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
Heading out to this property in 3 weeks. Any recent trip reports? How is the lounge?
Old Mar 29, 2016, 2:44 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by kxc262
Heading out to this property in 3 weeks. Any recent trip reports? How is the lounge?
This is my preferred location when I visit SLC every couple of months. I like being downtown for quick access to restaurants, and I like that the hotel has a full service bar. Decent hotel, but average Sheraton IMO. I don't use the lounge other than grabbing a coffee in the morning, so I can't speak to other offerings. I now avoid the upgrades to the "loft" rooms, as they are a significant walk from the main lobby.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 4:43 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
This is my preferred location when I visit SLC every couple of months. I like being downtown for quick access to restaurants, and I like that the hotel has a full service bar. Decent hotel, but average Sheraton IMO. I don't use the lounge other than grabbing a coffee in the morning, so I can't speak to other offerings. I now avoid the upgrades to the "loft" rooms, as they are a significant walk from the main lobby.
Yeah the lofts are nice but a hike. Also sketchy characters seem to meander in here from the McDonalds across the street and security isn't great, so watch yourself in the lobby (not a joke, unfortunately...)
Old Mar 29, 2016, 9:03 pm

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
Thanks for the update on security - that is good to know.

The lofts are newly remodeled from what I read as well? Aside from the walk, it seems like it would be nicer to stay in those rooms?
Old Mar 29, 2016, 11:08 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by kxc262
Thanks for the update on security - that is good to know.

The lofts are newly remodeled from what I read as well? Aside from the walk, it seems like it would be nicer to stay in those rooms?
The furnishings seem recent, but the overall feel of the lofts is like something from the 80's, when this was a more popular option. Nothing wrong with it, just different.

Regarding security, I view it as a non issue, and after 4 yrs and 20 plus stays, I have yet to encounter a homeless individual that was anything but harmless.

I prefer the main tower over the lofts, unless my family is with me.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 1:44 pm

I've stayed here several nights in the past few months, and have been very happy with the property. Club floor rooms are reasonably spacious and well maintained, with the exception of peeling enamel in bathtubs. Public areas are also clean and while there are a lot of homeless in SLC downtown, I haven't run into any on site.

The lounge is pretty good - not the best spread I've ever seen, but the staff is top notch. Breakfast includes bacon and surprisingly good eggs, along with the standard fruits, baked goods, cereal, juices... Evening spread typically includes two hot options (sometimes one hot and one cold) along with a good cheese plate and raw veggies. Wine and beer available, including some decent local crafts. The staff really is excellent - always greeting us by name and quick to offer refills and clear plates.

Breakfast buffet downstairs in the restaurant has more options, including a good omelet station where you can get egg whites. Buffet is $18 if you aren't on a breakfast rate.

Three elevators requiring key access (at least for club levels, unsure about lower floors) are quite fast. Fitness center is slightly larger / better than I've come to expect. Nice courtyard and pool, with an indoor whirlpool. Bonus points for having accessible lifts for both the pool and hot tub. There is a hair salon on site, as well as a different salon for nails, waxing, and the like. Also a Starbucks that closes at 3p on the weekends and 7p during the week.

Overall, much better than some of the older reviews would indicate - especially for those who like to take advantage of lounge offerings.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 3:26 pm

Heading back here next week for a few days - I only ever book a basic room, but I happened to notice that there were no club rooms available. I called in to ask what was up and was told that the club rooms are currently unavailable because they're in the process of replacing the bathtubs with walkin showers.

Oddly, the peeling tub enamel (in literally all the rooms I've ever stayed in there) was the only thing I could find to consistently complain about - I'm glad to see them moving on that. They said the club is still open during the renovation, which I appreciate as well.

In any event, this will bring me to ~25 nights over ~7 stays here this year, and I still wholeheartedly recommend them. Also can't beat the price - this time regular rates are actually cheaper than the $100 govt rate we've typically booked.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 5:50 pm

Programs: MRSPG LT Tit, HH Diamond, Hertz Pres.
So sort of torn here base on posts.

Will be here in May for 5 nights, doing cash and points. I request SNA awards. Not sure which one I want, the loft it sounds like would be my last choice. My wife of course would love the jacuzzi suite. Are there any suites close to the club lounge? Or are they all over the hill and through the woods.

We are heading the SLC for my wife to attend a nursing conference. I myself will be lounging and goofing off during the day.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 11:38 pm

I don't recommend anything in the "other" building - it's just too far from the coffee machine in the lounge =p. Last trip they put us in a large room (not quite what I'd call a suite, but much larger than the rooms I get in the tower) and we only barely made it to the room before deciding we didn't want to make that walk over and over. They happily put us in a tower room (just below the club floors that were being renovated) and even checked the next day to make sure we were alright with the bed change we'd accepted to get into the tower.

​Anyway, I figured I'd post to say that I would NOT burn SNAs for anything in the loft section unless I desperately needed the extra space. I'd also call the property directly to see if they could perhaps manually approve the SNAs for a room you like. I've never had a tower suite there, so I can't speak to their location, but the tower isn't huge so nothing there would be inconveniently located.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by synergistic
......I've never had a tower suite there, so I can't speak to their location, but the tower isn't huge so nothing there would be inconveniently located.
Only Presidential Suite, which is not applicable for SNA, is in the tower; all other suites are in old motel style building.
Old May 1, 2017, 5:11 am

Another great stay at the SLC Sheraton. Was glad to see the lounge coffee machine working again, but it apparently started leaking and was out of order after the first night. Was still able to get good hot chocolate in the restaurant with our buffet tokens, though, and while they were quite stingy with the Starbucks freebie coupons, I'm still grateful to have that as an option.

Re: the restaurant, it appears they've remodeled the old sports bar area to be their only restaurant. Buffet remains pretty darn good in the new location. New omelet man is a doll.
Still a lot of work being performed on the ground floor, so not sure what their eventual plan is. The showers they were installing on the club floors during my last visit are quite nice, and a great improvement over the peeling tubs we consistently experienced before.

Lounge breakfast felt lacking but the bacon was as good as I remembered. Evening lounge was fine but it appears they really only put out domestic brews now, crafts had to be requested from the (quite willing) attendant. Was not terribly impressed with the hot options this time (was actively grossed out by the unexpected beer battered salmon!) but that was just a matter of preference, my SO thought the rice balls the next night were quite good.

Even last minute with the Jazz playing our first night, the price was quite reasonable - $132, I think? The place remains one of my favorite values in the US SPG portfolio. May they never change.
Old May 1, 2017, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Da Amb, Hyatt Glob
Are beer and wine free in the lounge?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.