Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Brussels 4P or Sheraton Hotel & Towers [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Brussels 4P or Sheraton Hotel & Towers [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2006, 8:15 am

I really enjoy the 4 Points. However, it has been tough to book lately as there have been more and more flight crews staying there.

Highlights include the Spa on the top floor. (Remember you are in Europe and no clothes are to be worn).

It is a residential area so the walking and people watching are good.

The restaurant in the hotel is good and there are plently of local restaurants in the neighborhood.
Old Jan 9, 2006, 10:15 am

Programs: SPG LTP
Note on location of both hotels

Some input from a (boring ;o) local Plat

4Pts is obviously a bit of a lesser hotel in terms of rooms, overall service, but located less than a few minutes walk from one of the hottest party places in Brussels (Place Flagey). Also very close to upscale shopping area.

If you really want to do the touristy stuff (medieval centre) the SHT is a better choice, even though you'll still need to walk for about 10-15 minutes (Rue Neuve / Nieuwstraat is the best way to go, popular shopping area, but as mentioned earlier some of the parallel streets are a bit dodgy). Party-wise the area around the Exchange (Beurs/Bourse) is essentially just next to the medieval centre.

In the near-term future, the Meridien will become the best *Wood choice in Brussels as far as location is concerned: right in the centre, just across the street from Central railway station
Old Jun 3, 2006, 3:43 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Off to BRU next week and and debating between the 4pts and the Sheraton Towers. The rate is €85 at the FP and €95 at the Sheraton. (Both include breakfast.) It'll just be an overnight stay. I arrive at 6pm and depart straight after breakfast the next morning. Am Plat. Any recommendations which one to choose?

I'll be taking the train to/from the airport, and thus I'm leaning towards the Sheraton as it appears it's the only one of the above two where I could walk to it directly from a train station (Gare du Nord.) Now once exiting Gare du Nord, is it easy to find the directions to the Sheraton? Any advice as to which station exit or road to take...

Thanks!
Old Jun 3, 2006, 5:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, IHG Elite KLM Flying Blue,
Originally Posted by AJLondon
Now once exiting Gare du Nord, is it easy to find the directions to the Sheraton? Any advice as to which station exit or road to take...

Thanks!
Yep it is very easy.
Only there are many exits in the station which can be confusing, so ask for the right one. Once outside, take the stairs down on the left side. and walk straight on. You have to cross a street and than stay on the right side. It is only 5 minutes before you will reach the Sheraton on the right side of the street. When walking you will see the Sheraton brandname from a distance.
Old Jun 3, 2006, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by claes059
Yep it is very easy.
Only there are many exits in the station which can be confusing, so ask for the right one. Once outside, take the stairs down on the left side. and walk straight on. You have to cross a street and than stay on the right side. It is only 5 minutes before you will reach the Sheraton on the right side of the street. When walking you will see the Sheraton brandname from a distance.
Thanks. Is that part of Brussels safe enough to walk (alone) on a Friday night?
Old Jun 3, 2006, 5:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, IHG Elite KLM Flying Blue,
Well, I have walked it several times, but it was during daytime. It seems to me it would be ok during the night, but I cannot say for sure!
I think you will like the Sheraton Brussels.
Old Jun 4, 2006, 2:30 am

Programs: BA Gold; VA Velocity Gold; LH FTL; Marriott Gold; ICHG Platinum AMB; Hilton Gold
Yes. Even with luggage and looking blatantly like you've just arrived from the airport. The Gare du Nord and the bus station adjoining it will be pretty quiet (not copmpletely deserted but not exactly bustling). The area between the bus station and the hotel is essentially office buildings plus a big open space. Not the subject of tourist board posters but not bad either.

Outside the other side of the station is what remains of the red light district. Colourful in parts, looks seedy, but safe enough. I would be much more worried about wandering the streets surrounding the Eurostar terminal at Gare du Midi.
Old Jun 4, 2006, 5:36 am

Thanks House. ^
Originally Posted by House
Outside the other side of the station is what remains of the red light district.
Okay, so what I need to ensure I exit the station on the correct side! Do the trains from the airport always come to the same platform, (like the HEX for eg.) and any advice on directions from the platform..
Old Jun 4, 2006, 11:00 am

Programs: SPG, Continental, USAir, United, AA, Delta
Sheraton Towers Brussels

I was at the hotel a little over a year ago, so my info may be a little out of date, but:

I was Platinum at the time, and was upgraded to a suite with a living room and kitchen area, but the room and furnishings looked old (think 1970's decor) and definitely needed to be renovated. I was almost worried that the stove would blow up if I tried to use it because it looked so old. The gym, on the other hand, was brand new and quite nice. Open 24 hours as long as you sign a waiver saying you won't hold them liable for any accidents.

I was using the hotel as a base to explore Antwerp and Ghent as much as Brussels itself, so the proximity to the train station was an advantage. The hotel is right by the beginning of the main shopping street, but on the other end from the main square, typical touristy attractions, and most of the better restaurants. At least a 15-20 minute walk.

I wasn't as impressed with the neighborhood. It's fine between the hotel and the main square, but between the hotel and the train station is pretty sketchy. (BTW, the screen name is kind of random, I'm actually female, and was travelling alone, which certainly influences my perception on this issue). Lots of strip clubs and a fair number of drug dealers and prostitutes. I would not feel comfortable walking alone after dark. (but it is only a couple of Euros to take a cab there).

My two cents, hope it helps.
Old Jun 4, 2006, 4:10 pm

Thanks for the feedback Steve23. ^

Oh, BTW, which is the closest train station (where the airport express stops) to the Four Points?
Old Jun 4, 2006, 4:44 pm

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
One thing I, as a Platinum, found at the Brussels Sheraton Towers is that while yes, I was given a Towers/Excecutive Floor room with full access to the Lounge, I was charged for a glass of wine in the lounge. This is one of the only non US lounges (that I've found) that charges for alcoholic beverages. But then again, I've only been there three times, and the last time was 2 yrs ago, so maybe things have changed. Each time, I was upgraded to a nice suite on the club floor-- but I did find it odd
to have to sign for a glass of wine, and then find it charged to my room. (Very similar to the situation in the US, but the only place in Europe I've found this to be the case).
Old Mar 26, 2007, 11:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Gold, HH Gold
We are heading to Rome this April with a 3 days stop over in Brussels (will stay at SHT based on the inputs here)...We will much appreciate any advice on things to do and see in Brussels...Also, Is it worthwhile to take a train day trip to visit Amsterdam considering the jet lag?
Thanks
Old Mar 27, 2007, 5:51 pm

Programs: AA (1MM), Marriott (LT Gold)
Originally Posted by Teoteo
We are heading to Rome this April with a 3 days stop over in Brussels (will stay at SHT based on the inputs here)...We will much appreciate any advice on things to do and see in Brussels...Also, Is it worthwhile to take a train day trip to visit Amsterdam considering the jet lag?
Thanks
I've been to Brussels, and the obvious things to see in the city include the Grand Place (an impressive old town square), Saint Michael's, Manneken Pis (touristy), and an interesting restaurant/bar row near the old town. These are all within walking distance. I'm sure others can recommend the can't-miss museums, however, we did not go to any of them.

I'm not sure how far away Amsterdam is, but an obvious day-trip on the train is Bruges (aka Brugge). I believe it's approximately one hour away by train.

Last edited by ExitRowAisle; Mar 28, 2007 at 11:17 am
Old Mar 27, 2007, 8:40 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LifetimeTitanium, UA Plat 2MM, LHW LeadersClub, IHGPlat, HiltonDiamnd, ASMVPG100K, WyndDiamnd
Originally Posted by ExitRowAisle
...an obvious day-trip on the train is Bruges (aka Brugge). I believe it's one to two hours away.

I will be there next week for Choco-Laté, the chocolate fair in Bruges and have decided to stay at the Sheraton BRU, as I have an early flight out the next day.

Has anyone stayed at BRU recently?
Old Mar 28, 2007, 10:42 am

Programs: AA Dirt, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by Teoteo
Thanks
A day trip to Amsterdam might be doable - it's about 2.5 hours by train. However, you'd probably be really rushed if you attempted that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.