FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest-429/)
-   -   Comp SPG Gold for Airline Elites? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest/401970-comp-spg-gold-airline-elites.html)

Colin Feb 18, 2005 3:35 pm

Comp SPG Gold for Airline Elites?

Does SPG comp SPG Gold status for elite-level members of various airline programs? I recall getting comp Gold back in 2000 for UA PremEx. Am now CO Gold.

NOLAnwGOLD Feb 18, 2005 10:17 pm

Last year NW GOlds got comp Gold, but it seems this year only fast track to Gold...

yyzlhr Feb 19, 2005 1:13 am

They were doing BA Golds UK and Non UK

dbuckho Feb 19, 2005 9:59 pm

They did for AA Platinum a few years back.

CO Lurker May 7, 2005 11:51 pm

http://www.spg.com/cogold

http://www.spg.com/dlgold

http://www.spg.com/uagold

http://www.spg.com/acgold

They only work if you really have status with these airlilnes.

Tak May 8, 2005 6:47 am

JAL Global members also get Gold status with 50% discount(such as SPG50) for a lot of hotels.

drumbo May 8, 2005 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by CO Lurker

Hi,

The AC link does not work, it says no such page exist, do you know why?
thanks drumbo

tinkybelle May 8, 2005 6:03 pm

the AA one still exists but wouldnt give me status.
it said I wasnt registered :(

Tax Dude May 8, 2005 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by drumbo
Hi,

The AC link does not work, it says no such page exist, do you know why?
thanks drumbo

AC hasn't given that benefit for a couple of years now.

ajlindsay May 8, 2005 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by CO Lurker

Does getting these points negate the Starwood Points, or is it in addition to the Starwood points?

slippahs May 8, 2005 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by ajlindsay
Does getting these points negate the Starwood Points, or is it in addition to the Starwood points?

Originally Posted by Program Terms/Conditions
To participate, recipient must be a member of Starwood Preferred Guest and participate in the Airline Direct Deposit(SM) program.

Meaning you'll be earning the Airline miles rather than SPG points. It's been said that you can call SPG to remove the Airline Direct Deposit, but you may very well likely lose the SPG Gold status if you do so.

Sam - DFW May 9, 2005 7:32 am

I received an invitation to my AA e-mail address. I responded and received this e-mail:

-----Original Message-----
From: Starwood Preferred Guest [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Friday, April 15, 2005 10:31 AM
To:
Subject: Registration Complete - Stay by July 15

WELCOME TO GOLD PREFERRED GUEST.

Thank you for registering for this rewarding Starwood Preferred
Guest(R) promotion. With elite Gold Preferred Guest(R) status, you can
enjoy more miles and privileges at more than 750 of the world's finest
hotels. Miles will be automatically added to your American Airlines
AAdvantage(R) account after each stay.

EARN UP TO 9,000 BONUS MILES.
Through July 15, 2005, earn 3,000 American Airlines AAdvantage(R)
miles for every three nights you stay at Starwood hotels and resorts -
for a total of up to 9,000 bonus miles! And don't forget, you've already
earned a 250-mile activation bonus!

Be sure to provide your Starwood Preferred Guest member number,
50xxxxxxxxx, when making reservations to ensure you receive the miles
and benefits included in this promotion.

Book your next stay at SPG.com and earn thousands of miles.
http://www.spg.com
__________________________________________________ _______
To ensure you receive your Starwood Hotels & Resorts e-mails, please
add [email protected] to your address book.

(C) 2005 Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc.
1111 Westchester Ave: 3562B: White Plains, NY 10604

American Airlines reserves the right to change AAdvantage(R)
program rules, regulations, travel awards and offers at any time
without notice, including the right to, among other things,
(1) modify or cancel any award or offer, (2) change program benefits,
mileage levels or rules related to mileage credits or travel awards,
or (3) add embargo dates, limit award travel seat availability,
or otherwise restrict travel awards or offers. American Airlines
may make these changes even if use of accumulated mileage credits or
awards is affected. The accumulation of mileage credits does not
entitle members to any vested rights. American Airlines further
reserves the right to end the AAdvantage(R) program upon six months
notice. AAdvantage(R) travel awards, mileage accrual and special
offers are subject to government regulations. American Airlines
is not responsible for products or services offered by other
participating companies. For complete details about the AAdvantage(R)
program, visit www.aa.com/aadvantage. AmericanAirlines and AAdvantage
are registered trademarks of American Airlines, Inc.

I was already a Starwood member; however, haven't spent much time at Starwood properties. I registered, and I will stay enough to qualify for the 9,000 bonus miles I guess. After that time I will merge the accounts and opt for points. Losing gold status in my new account will be inconsequential since I only needed 10 night to qualify for gold anyway, right?

Since I am new to *Wood, I have some questions:
1. Do I need an AmEx to use SPG 50s? I read that it depends. What does it depend on - the certificate or the property?
2. Do you still get miles for stays when using SPG50s? Do you still get points when using SPG 50s? I guess I could use one account for miles and the other for points if necessary.
3. I wouldn't think that *Wood gives you credit for the entire bill pre-discount when using SPG 50 certificates. For example, when using Marriott Premium Pound certificates, I get treated as if the certificates were cash when calculating points received.
4. If my ultimate goal is AA miles, do I want points or miles from *Wood? What is the exchange like? I know that there was a bonus period for redemption not too long ago, right?

Thanks, and I look forward to seeing some of you in these great properties.

Sam

CoMooter May 9, 2005 8:33 am

Originally Posted by slippahs
Meaning you'll be earning the Airline miles rather than SPG points. It's been said that you can call SPG to remove the Airline Direct Deposit, but you may very well likely lose the SPG Gold status if you do so.

A couple of years ago I took the SPG deal from my AA EXP (or UA 1K?) - after finding out it was for miles - I called SPG and they switched me to points and did not drop me. Indeed, it was a smart move on their part to lure a little of my normal biz from Hilton and Mariott. I have easily requalified every year since. I probably will hit SPG plat this year...

kiam May 9, 2005 9:08 am

Originally Posted by Sam - DFW
I received an invitation to my AA e-mail address. I responded and received this e-mail:

Since I am new to *Wood, I have some questions:
1. Do I need an AmEx to use SPG 50s? I read that it depends. What does it depend on - the certificate or the property?
2. Do you still get miles for stays when using SPG50s? Do you still get points when using SPG 50s? I guess I could use one account for miles and the other for points if necessary.
3. I wouldn't think that *Wood gives you credit for the entire bill pre-discount when using SPG 50 certificates. For example, when using Marriott Premium Pound certificates, I get treated as if the certificates were cash when calculating points received.
4. If my ultimate goal is AA miles, do I want points or miles from *Wood? What is the exchange like? I know that there was a bonus period for redemption not too long ago, right?

Thanks, and I look forward to seeing some of you in these great properties.

Sam

1. I didn't need to use my AMEX when I redeemed my previous SPG50 certificate. AMEX SPG Card Members do get the SPG50 Certificate annually though. The one that comes with the card may need to use with the card (but I really don't think so - I am waiting for mine to come in the mail, so I cannot tell you its conditions but I got one from the agent last time and it did not require to use with AMEX).
2. You get points or miles only for the portion you pay when redeeming SPG50 certificate. However, Vacation Resorts (Sheraton and Westin) will not get you any points.
3. See Answer # 2.
4. If you are not a *Wood Fan, go with your AA miles. To me, one SPG point is worth more than 1 ANY AIRLINE MILES. I prefer to refeem my 40K SPG points for a nice stay (Category 4 Hotel) for 5 nights than redeeming 40K miles on the airlines. Plus 20K SPG points = 25K Airline Miles (except UA and a few others).

Sam - DFW May 9, 2005 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by kiam
1. I didn't need to use my AMEX when I redeemed my previous SPG50 certificate. AMEX SPG Card Members do get the SPG50 Certificate annually though. The one that comes with the card may need to use with the card (but I really don't think so - I am waiting for mine to come in the mail, so I cannot tell you its conditions but I got one from the agent last time and it did not require to use with AMEX).
2. You get points or miles only for the portion you pay when redeeming SPG50 certificate. However, Vacation Resorts (Sheraton and Westin) will not get you any points.
3. See Answer # 2.
4. If you are not a *Wood Fan, go with your AA miles. To me, one SPG point is worth more than 1 ANY AIRLINE MILES. I prefer to refeem my 40K SPG points for a nice stay (Category 4 Hotel) for 5 nights than redeeming 40K miles on the airlines. Plus 20K SPG points = 25K Airline Miles (except UA and a few others).

Thanks for the responses. The bonus miles look like a good deal. I will probably stay at a property later this month in Vancouver.

Thanks,

Sam