Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Le Meridien Arlington, Virginia [Master Thread]

Old Mar 14, 2012, 7:52 pm
Original Poster

Location: Live: PWM/KBXM/BGR; Work: DCA/DFW/Everywhere; Play: LAS/MUC/MLE
Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, mlife Noir, LEYE Gold

We decided to check out this property last weekend (Sunday night, one night) because we are fans of the Le Meridien brand and got a $109 BRG rate. The BAR for the same room type (Deluxe King + Double) was $419 at the time of reservation, $299 at check-in. This property was previously the Palomar, and converted on 22 February.

Overall, this is a very nice property, and although it has a few kinks to work out with regard to the SPG program, I would stay here again and recommend it to out-of-town guests.

Arrival/check-in. The lobby is on the 4th floor, so you have to take one elevator to the lobby and then another to the room. However, this is not an ordeal because the elevator from the ground floor only stops there and at the 4th floor. Doormen for the building (it is also a residential property) were always present and polite. At check-in, the agent (who had worked at the property during its Palomar days) was very friendly, and said we'd been upgraded from a Deluxe to a Superior. I asked if there were any suites available, she said no but we'd been upgraded to a nice room on the SPG floor. We were given a key to 1108. She asked if we wanted the points or a wine book, I took the points. I asked about breakfast, and she said they had a continental breakfast. I asked if this was separate from the points, and she said yes.

Platinum upgrade. This was the negative part of the stay, but something that I think will improve as the property adjusts. The "superior" room we were given was a regular looking hotel room. We went back downstairs. The same woman was there. I mentioned that the room I'd booked was a deluxe king plus double sofa, and that I'd expected a larger room. She acknowledged this, and then what she said surprised me - the superior room she'd given me was an upgrade even though it was smaller than the room I'd booked. We chatted about this, and she said it was a problem with the way they'd categorized the rooms (as a Palomar, they had categories like Water view room, Motion room, etc., and these have been translated into standard Starwood names). She said she agreed that it would be problematic to advertise a room as a higher category when it was in fact smaller than and no nicer than rooms of a lower category. I showed her my email which said "Deluxe King + Double, top floors" etc. and asked if she had anything like that or better. She gave us a key to 1215, the room listed as "Two-Room Suite" on the SPG website. I didn't ask why that wasn't available before, but perhaps it's not a Select Standard Suite.

Room. In any case, 1215 was a very nice room with a living area, separate bedroom, and large bathroom with jacuzzi/hot tub-style bath and separate large shower. I apologize for not having taken pictures - if we return soon, I'll make an attempt to do so. The bed was comfortable, but the linens were starchier that we'd have liked.

Service. Overall outstanding other than the check-in/upgrade issue. Shoes were promptly collected, shined, and returned.

Food. The property is apparently continuing the free happy hour wine tasting that it hosted as the Palomar, although we were too late for this at our 7pm check-in. Free continental breakfast was a blueberry muffin, croissant, fresh fruit, orange juice, and coffee. The waiter asked me for a voucher in the morning, which I had to go get from the check-in desk. I assume the agent had forgotten to give it the night before, but it was not an issue to get one in the morning.

Location. Very convenient to Rosslyn Metro (a block-ish away), Georgetown (10 minute walk across the Key Bridge), and DC by car. Not much goes on in Rosslyn at night (I don't think?) but we went to the Bistro Francais in Georgetown around 11:00 p.m. for their post-10:30 special ($24.95 for 3 courses and a glass of house wine; it is not exceptional, but it is consistent and good for the price).

Check-out. None.

I started this thread because the others were just commentary on the eventual change of the Palomar to the Le Meridien.

I'm not sure if I'd prefer this property over the Fairfax, but in my opinion it is certainly preferable either to the Sheraton National or Crystal City in terms of aesthetics, comfort, vibe, location, and staff friendliness. Even though we had difficulties with the room type, we were not made to feel at all like a nuisance but rather like guests. There is certainly room for improvement, but I expect that this property will move past its adjusting pains quickly.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 3:21 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Double Points offered through May 13th

Register through this link:

https://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefe...US&promoID=M3A
Old Mar 30, 2012, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Also spent one night in this property, a couple of weeks ago, and came away with similarly positive impressions as platbrownguy. Got an upgrade to a nice suite. The lay-out is a bit odd, in that it's too fairly small rooms divided by a closet/hallway are. But still, overall a nice room/upgrade.

Good, friendly service throughout, including at the front desk. Room service was prompt and pleasantly jovial. The squash (I think??) soup and the salmon dish I ordered were not particularly tasty, but ok.

One glitch with the tv was that it worked only intermittently, with frequent messages about no satellite signal available, in both the evening and the morning I was there. I emailed the hotel about it afterward, and received a prompt response with a promise of 2,000 points to be deposited in my account. This seemed reasonable.

Good view of parts of DC from some rooms.

Bottom line: I'd go back.

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Thanks for posting this! If I understand the T&Cs correctly, I'll get the bonus points even though I registered after staying there.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 3:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
My wife and I had an excellent first stay at the Le Meridien Arlington earlier this week. This is a great addition to Starwood's D.C. properties and, even despite its location in Rosslyn, will likely become our preferred property in DC.

Booked an incredible $89/night Starpick rate about two weeks prior. Upgraded to a suite upon check-in that was a true suite (two separate rooms, entrance hallway, and with a massive bathroom featuring a deep sunken jacuzzi tub with upgraded toiletries) and offered the Platinum choice of benefit. Beautiful modern property with great views overlooking the Key Bridge, Potomac River, and Georgetown and fantastic service by everyone we encountered.

Only (minor) complaint was the Platinum continental breakfast was a little on the light side (coffee/juice, one breakfast bread, and a few berries) - and the restaurant staff seemed unfamiliar with this benefit (despite presenting them with a card stating exactly what the breakfast included). Overall, a very minor issue to an otherwise excellent stay. Also, 1,000 Platinum bonus points (plus the hotel's promotional double points offer) later posted without asking even though we had selected the breakfast option.

I highly recommend this property! Room photos below (sorry for the poor quality, taken from my phone)...

-FlyerBeek

Last edited by FlyerBeek; Apr 20, 2012 at 3:09 pm
Old Apr 20, 2012, 6:36 pm

Programs: UA 1k, SPG/Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Staying here tonight and I agree with the post above - this is an excellent addition to the starwood chain and a high quality hotel. I actually like the location as you can walk to Georgetown in about 10 minutes across the key bridge.

I did not get the suite upgrade but instead got a corner room with a partial river view and wrap around windows. I'm very happy though and it's good value for $139 pre-paid. I didn't push the upgrade as I'm here by myself - I'd rather save the good karma for travelling with my wife.

There is a very nice lobby bar with an outdoor area overlooking the river and a good selection of bottled beers.

Metro is 2 mins walk as is the circulator bus stop that will take you to Georgetown and beyond.
Old Oct 6, 2012, 3:11 pm

Programs: aa spg
We're staying here and need to get to reagan airport on a Sunday morning for an early flight. We just found out that the Metro doesn't start running until 7AM on weekends. Can anyone recommend a way to get to the airport early on a Sunday AM other than a taxi?

Aside from the question above, the hotel is great. Very quiet, definitely went out of their way to welcome us and make sure we had everything we need. Highly recommended if you don't mind a 10 minute metro ride into central dc.
Old Oct 7, 2012, 8:51 pm

Programs: AGR WOH
WMATA runs a bus past DCA early in the mornings, but it only goes to Pentagon station and there's no connecting bus service to Rosslyn at that hour.

A shared shuttle, a taxi, a car service, or walk/bike(share) -- I usually bike for my own five mile trip to DCA, the same distance as Rosslyn -- are your only options.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 6:02 pm

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
Any recent updates? Thinking of staying here before an early flight out of DCA (I live near IAD and getting to DCA by 5am would be very painful otherwise). Revenue rates for the night I'm looking at start at $409, but, surprisingly, they're offering C&P 6,000 + 110, turns into abt $.06 per point! (My other option is the Sheraton in Pentagon City for 7,000 points or an almost $300 revenue rate.

Also, anyone think there would be a problem getting a cab to DCA at 4:30am or so?

Finally, the only room available for C&P & points redemption is an accessible king, anyone else experienced this?
Old Mar 31, 2013, 6:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by dcstudent
Any recent updates? Thinking of staying here before an early flight out of DCA (I live near IAD and getting to DCA by 5am would be very painful otherwise). Revenue rates for the night I'm looking at start at $409, but, surprisingly, they're offering C&P 6,000 + 110, turns into abt $.06 per point! (My other option is the Sheraton in Pentagon City for 7,000 points or an almost $300 revenue rate.

Also, anyone think there would be a problem getting a cab to DCA at 4:30am or so?

Finally, the only room available for C&P & points redemption is an accessible king, anyone else experienced this?
For a flight that early, it would be better to stay in one of the airport hotels that has early shuttle service, especially if you can book for 7000 points versus 6000 points + $110 + taxi fare.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 7:03 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Just spent two nights here with the wife. We were blown away. Paid for an Executive Room at $128 and we were upgraded to an Executive Suite. Spacious room with a Precor bike. Large bathroom. The head of the bed was butted up to a wall next to an elevator but we didn't hear a thing.

Check-in was flawless. Property was immaculate, has a modern yet elegant vibe. I really like this hotel.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 6:30 pm

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
Stayed last night for just the one night as my wife and I were attending a party in the city and didn't want to have to drive home afterwards.

Paid a $89 AAA rate.

Parking was easy to find. Self-park garage entrance is further down 19th Street from the hotel entrance but the garage is part of the same complex (Waterview). The complex has condos, offices and the hotel but shares one garage. Make sure not to park in spaces marked off for "residents." Parking is $13 a day (M-F) and $5 a day on Saturday and Sunday. Note the parking resets at midnight each night, so for example, my wife and I were at the hotel Friday night so we paid a total of $18 for parking. (There are no in/out privileges for self-park.)

You enter a lobby-ish area on the 1st floor, but need to take an elevator to the 4th floor for the lobby. (There are other elevators that are accessed from the 4th floor which get you to the hotel floors -floors 3-12.) Check-in was very quick, and I was recognized for being a platinum member.

Get to the room I've been assigned on the 8th floor. Room was adjacent to the service elevator and the HVAC equipment was on the roof, directly outside (and about 10 feet below) my room. Equipment was so loud I could hear it upon entering my room.

This was not the best situation, so I went back to the front desk. Agent apologized for the room and gave me new keys for a room on the 10th floor. Got to the new room and found it to be a very large corner room with wrap-around floor-ceiling windows. View from some of the windows included the Washington Monument.

As an aside, assuming that this room was otherwise unassigned when I checked in, I am surprised that I did not receive this room. Clearly, this was a larger, better room than the initial room I received. Oh, well. Things happen.

Room was designed very nicely. Furnishings were cool, lights on dimmers. Don't know what bed they had but it was extremely comfortable. Furnishings/carpeting in hallways and the elevators was really cool. Just a really well-designed hotel.

Bellman/Doorman inquired as to our destination when we left for our event and offered a cab or a town car. Being that we're local, we were just fine with our SmarTrip cards and the Metro as the Metro station is only 1 block from the hotel.

Slept like a baby on our return. Shower pressure and water temperature was amazing. I really like hot strong showers and this hotel delivered. Check-out was as quick as check-in.

(Some folks in the lobby were talking about the great deal they got through Groupon, perhaps that is why the hotel was sold-out on a Friday night.)

Garage is unmanned and you just pay with credit card on exit. We were charged $23, even though exit had a price list that clearly stated $18 for the time we were there (called hotel and they have confirmed charge should have been $18), so will get AMEX to fix.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 5:37 pm

Just a quick update. Stay has not credited to my *wood account, neither have my Platinum Welcome Amenity or the 2500 points I should have gotten after the stay (this stay included one of my "5th" nights for the promo).

Hotel has been unresponsive to my inquiries. Guess I'll have to e-mail the platinum liaison and let them handle it.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 6:10 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.1MM | Marriott Lifetime Titanium | National EE
Originally Posted by dcstudent
Just a quick update. Stay has not credited to my *wood account, neither have my Platinum Welcome Amenity or the 2500 points I should have gotten after the stay (this stay included one of my "5th" nights for the promo).

Hotel has been unresponsive to my inquiries. Guess I'll have to e-mail the platinum liaison and let them handle it.
Interestingly I have the same issue. I had a stay from 2/28 - 3/2 and have gotten no points or stay/night credit posted. I'm going to wait until next week, then just ask my ambassador about it.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by BOISJC744
Interestingly I have the same issue. I had a stay from 2/28 - 3/2 and have gotten no points or stay/night credit posted. I'm going to wait until next week, then just ask my ambassador about it.
Shoot, we could have met for coffee or a drink. I was there 2/28-3/1. So we were there the same time period and both didn't have our stay credit. Wonder if something was screwy with their computer systems.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 10:34 am

Just had another stay, service was much improved and this is quickly becoming my go-to hotel when I/my wife need to be in the city late.

My stay was on a weeknight and the hotel was 100% sold out, but the hotel was well staffed and I was welcomed immediately upon arrival to the front desk. Staff explained that no suites or corner rooms were available but that I was upgraded to a large room on the 11th floor. I was addressed my name. For amenity I asked for the continental breakfast, and when I asked what the upcharge to a full breakfast would be, the staff member upgraded me to a complimentary full breakfast!

Went up to my room, and it was indeed awesome. Comfy bed (wish I could find out what mattress this location uses), very clean, large bathroom. But, perhaps the best part was the view. Perfect view of the Potomac River, Georgetown U, and the National Cathedral. WiFi was strong and fast.

Left to go to an event, Valet offered to get me a black car or a cab, but I declined. (Being local I am quite comfortable with the METRO and the Rosslyn station is only a block away. The hotel always has black cars waiting for customers, but does not always have cabs. (As an aside there is a cab stand a block away at the METRO station.)

Came back and decided I wanted a late snack, so headed to the Amuse Restaurant/Bar. Even at the late hour (9pm on a weeknight) it was busy. Seemed a good mix of hotel patrons, local office peeps and residents (the hotel is in a complex of condos and offices). Had a wonderful glass of wine with deviled eggs, followed by ice cream. Service was friendly and quick.

Slept like a baby

Got called into the office early, so couldn't eat the breakfast after all, but it looked awesome. Did take advantage of the free coffee at the front desk. Check-out was very smooth and everything posted promptly.

This hotel has been a great addition to the *wood portfolio in D.C.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.