Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Heathrow, LHR London Heathrow Airport, UK [Master Thread]

Old Jun 24, 2019, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Heathrow, LHR London Heathrow Airport, UK [Master Thread]

Old Feb 24, 2003, 1:05 am

I'm glad I saw this thread, as I had intended to start one myself. I had recently seen another thread condemning this hotel, and had made a mental note to think twice about booking it.

But during the snow storm I had to overnight at LHR. (I could have made other arrangements, but having already been delayed 2 days I wanted to start making at least some progress.)

Because the BA agent at LAX warned me that hotel rooms in London were all but completely sold out, I called SPG and checked the Sheraton Heathrow figuring my odds would be better there. I was able to book a non-smoking award room. I figured that as long as it had a bed, I had ear plugs, and it would at least better than the airport.

Upon arrival, I was informed that as a Platinum (even on an award) I had been upgraded to a "new" room. I was quite surpised upon entering the room, to find that it was spacious, clean, quiet, well equipped, and had a very nice Platinum amenity. (Fruit, cookies, pop and bottled water.) Not only was I pleasantly surprise, in light of my expectations (based on threads in this forum) I felt that I'd hit the jackpot.

I did not encounter the "fumes" or any other odors, the room was very quiet, the bathroom was spotless, sparkling and in immaculate shape (and had every bathroom amenity known to hoteldom.) The TV worked well, bed was comfortable, and my earplugs stayed in my suitcase.

Checkout, like checkin, was quick and painless. There were no charges made, and none billed. The shuttle bus was a bit late arriving at the hotel, but then it's not run by the hotel.

In short, my stay was flawless.
Old Feb 24, 2003, 4:29 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Venk - EXACTLY the same thing happened to me - Smart room upgrade is a non-smart refurbished room.
I too will now return especially after filling out the comments card on this generated no reply at all from the hotel.
Old Feb 24, 2003, 4:48 am

Programs: Nowt
I spent two nights at this property at the start of February, and didn't get an upgraded room, but the room we did get worked just fine. It wasn't in the new block, and had seen better days, but it was nothing to complain about.

There were reading spot lamps on the base of the bedside lamps, which were very handy, and a very cool speaker in the ceiling of the bathroom, so you can listen to the television or radio whilst in the bathroom.

Whilst there I noticed the wing adjacent to ours was in the middle of a refit, so I imagine that our wing had also been slated for decoration.

It isn't a patch on the Skyline however.
Old Feb 24, 2003, 6:55 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Ken hAAmer:
In short, my stay was flawless.</font>
Perhaps we are helping this hotel by seriously lowering expectations.

Seriously, out of the 10+ stays I have had in this hotel so far, about 2-3 of them have been "flawless". There are two problems with this hotel, one is quality control which means one visit is "flawless" while the next visit you are likely to bump into problems.

See
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum74/HTML/004253.html
for my amusing story on an earlier visit.

Second is that the old rooms are really getting old (most bathrooms in the old rooms are moldy but then some people aren't sensitive to that either!) and the new rooms aren't much different, just newer. I have always considered a 4P as a hotel with homogenous rooms with some basic amenities while Sheratons have always had room choices and differentiating amenities. The Sheraton Heathrow and the Sheraton Skyline on the same road fit this differentiation perfectly. This hotel is not doing the Sheraton brand any favors.

As far as the "new room" odor is concerned, people who are sensitive to this will immediately recognize it. Cannot vouch for everyone's nose.

You should stay at the Sheraton Skyline next time. I think you will be ecstatic after your experience of the Sheraton Heathrow.
Old Mar 9, 2003, 5:33 pm

Just to update on this affair, received a letter from the manager in response to my complaint offering to comp my next stay + breakfast and that he would personally check on the deficiencies I had reported.

I had a booked a stay last week and it was automatically converted to a comp. I was given a suite. Never knew these existed in this Hotel but there is a portion in the 34** Club Rooms (old rooms) that have adjoining rooms (exact dimensions as the rest of the hotel) converted to suites and from the map what appears to be a huge "presidential suite" as well. Platinum amenity was waiting. The room had much more amenities than the regular rooms (new or old) and much better towels. The living room section of the room also has a hi-fi system.

These rooms have solid looking doors and slightly less run-down feel than the standard old rooms. But as old rooms they have the old phones and no RJ-11 phone jack (you will need an adapter to the British plugs). I still prefer these to the "new room" smell.

I was charged for the breakfast when checking out. Didn't have time to ask why given the letter from the manager. Ironically, the rate I had booked before being comped included breakfast in the rate. Not sure if I will get stay credit for this.

So, the place is still quirky. If Plats staying there would prefer a suite, they need to ask since these are not volunteered. Between the old rooms and the new rooms, the hotel is still not up to Sheraton standards but given the price, if you assume this is a Four Point and set the expectations accordingly, it is OK for a stay to catch a plane the next day.

I have another stay coming up next week and will see what happens.

I would definitely not recommend spending more than 65 pounds/night in this Hotel which is the rate I have found typically.

[This message has been edited by venk (edited 03-09-2003).]
Old Mar 9, 2003, 10:21 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by PremEx:
venk writes: Any chance that might be Thursday the 13th? That's when I'm giving this property the once over (love checking out reputed stinkers, and this one sounds like a literal "stinker") on a one nighter before moving on to better digs. Been years since I've stayed here. Much preferred the Skyline (and from all accounts, probably still will).</font>
Nope, the following day. A single night will not let you appreciate all this hotel has to offer. Most of the downsides to this Hotel are not visually obvious.
Old Mar 14, 2003, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here's my report on the Sheraton Heathrow from last night's stay...

Arrived also with a Smart room booked and found I had been upgraded to one of the not-so-smart but recently renovated Executive rooms. I inquired as to a suite upgrade and was advised the hotel was full and there were no suites to be had.

Room was new and had the great new bed, and there was a very slight smell of new-ness in the air, but I think the varnish and glue vapors must be dissipating, as it was hardly noticeable to me. Multi-voltage outlets in my room worked just fine and plugged my U.S. 110s right in and revved 'em up, no problem.

The marble bathroom was rather nice considering it's small size.

Room was very nice though, miles better than the plastic vacuformed things they have at the Hilton Heathrow.

Front desk was a bit cold though efficient. No mention of my Platinum status and the room had 2 bottles of water and a small box of chocolates already in it when I opened the door, but I'm not certain this was my Platinum amenity or not. Only card was the Manager's business card, unmarked. It might have just been a standard "Executive Room" amenity.

Add a bottle of wine and a personal note from the GM to that selection, and that's what Plats get over at the Skyline, along with really nice suite upgrades, in my experience. Also over at the Skyline they have TurboNet in the Executive rooms, and considering the local call charges at both properties...the TurboNet is well worth the 15 pounds if you are using the internet for any length of time.

Heathrow was 79 pounds and Skyline 82 during the same period. Skyline wins hands down, but the Heathrow was not as bad as I expected. Here's a comparison of both "Executive" type rooms:

Sheraton Heathrow Hotel - Executive Room #1312

Sheraton Skyline Hotel - Executive Room #1044

[This message has been edited by PremEx (edited 03-14-2003).]
Old Mar 15, 2003, 4:18 am

PremEx

I was in room 1316 last week for a couple of nights. We were neighbours!

I've stayed at this hotel twice in the past few weeks due to the very favorable rates and was surprised with the newly renovated rooms. Mind you, the rest of the hotel is a dump and the location is only ideal if you need to get to Heathrow or one of the surrounding towns.

If you anticipate using this hotel as anything other than a place to sleep, then this is not the place to stay. Otherwise it is a reasonable value
Old Apr 16, 2003, 8:24 am

Programs: LH Sen // HH Dia; Bonvoy LTTE
I stayed last night at the Sheraton Heathrow. My impression is similiar to the descriptions made by PremEx and michswiss.

Sheraton Heathrow Hotel
+ welcome gift (basket with ma lot of fruits and water)
+ voucher for a newspaper
+ upgrade to a renovated executive room
+ coffee/tea maker
+ very bright light in the bathroom
+ comfortable, firm bed
- rather dark light in the room
- no iron in the room
- no clock in the room
- smell of renovation
- a Starwood directory from 2001 (!) was in the desk drawer. It's time to tidy up the room.

I had booked a smart room a few hours before arrival and got an upgrade to an executive room. The check-in agent gave me also a voucher for a newspaper. A fruit basket with a lot of fruits (actually for 2 people) and two bottles of water were alreayd prepared in the room. There was also a neutral business card from the General Manager. (So this looks more as the room amenity!?)

I arrived with low expectations after I had read several posts on Flyertalk. At the end I was pleasantly surprised. The hotel is quite ok for one night: the windows are soundproof, the bathroom is quite nice while the room itself is too dark. IMO, the light is too dark and the dark red furnitures/wall contribute to the "darkness" in the room.

I went to the hotel by Hoppa bus (Hoppa bus number H4) for 3GBP one way. The bus makes stops in terminals T1, T2, and T3. Overall, I wouldn't mind to go back for another (short) night. The rate is alright, too (70GBP incl. tax).

-------------------------------------
Pictures from hotel stays
Old Apr 16, 2003, 8:38 am

Just to update...

After my complaint to Starwood, I received a complimentary stay in a suite at my next stay and have been upgraded to a suite each time I stayed since then. The suites are older rooms, two rooms adjoining with one room furnished with Sofa, hi-fi stereo, etc. There are a bit more amenities than the standard (old or new) rooms and the linens seem to be of better quality.

As I am sensitive to outgassing from new material, I very much prefer this to the new room "upgrade". For the price, I am happy to continue to stay here for those overnight layovers with this arrangement.

Someone who is a regular at this place will experience the inconsistencies more than an occasional visit.
Old Apr 16, 2003, 9:37 am
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by venk:
As I am sensitive to outgassing from new material, </font>
huh?
Old Apr 16, 2003, 11:21 am

Programs: US Chairman's Preferred, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by fly co to see the yanks:
huh?</font>
Venk means he doesn't like the strong smell of fresh paint and/or new carpets. I guess one has to wait a couple of months before it smells "normal."
Old Apr 18, 2003, 11:08 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
The same problem happened at my return stay last weekend. I won't be going back now and as the Skyline has made some economies recently (see other post), I wonder where I will be staying now!
Old Apr 19, 2003, 8:46 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by A320 EOW:
Venk means he doesn't like the strong smell of fresh paint and/or new carpets. I guess one has to wait a couple of months before it smells "normal."</font>
Right. Most new material (plastic panels, furniture, cabinets, carpets, etc.) contain treatments and/or paint with solvents that evaporate ("outgas") as Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) when new which is what you normally smell in new rooms to new cars to oranges.

Many of these VOCs are harmless at least in small quantities but prolonged exposure to some of them are known to be harmful or at least annoying causing headaches, nausea, etc. Different people have different levels of sensitivities.

I suspect that this Sheraton did not ventilate the new rooms properly after finishing it leading to the VOCs from paint (probably cheap high-VOC variety) and furniture varnish clinging to a lot of surfaces (e.g., drapery) and prolonging the smelly period from the initial "outgassing".

Sleeping in such a room often results in headaches in me.
Old Apr 26, 2003, 8:58 am

Programs: LH Sen // HH Dia; Bonvoy LTTE
Another stay at the Sheraton Heathrow. I booked a smart room and put a note into my reservation that I don't want to get an upgrade into a renovated executive room.

Sheraton Heathrow Hotel
+ welcome gift (chocolates, water)
+ voucher for a newspaper
+ coffee/tea maker
+ very bright light in the bathroom
+ turndown service
- beds should be firmer
- windows are not really soundproof

There's no "smell of renovation" in the Smart room. IMO, the light and the colours in the room are much more "friendly" compared to an executive room.
So, I prefer the Smart rooms to the renovated executive rooms to which Platinum members are normally upgraded. That's a personal decission - others may prefer the newer rooms (though I don't think that the Smart rooms are old. The windows and the beds are not up to date). People who can't sleep with noise should try to get a room to the back. The noise from the planes should be much less there (it is quiet during some time frame in the night when no planes take-off or land).

The hotel plans to renovate the smart rooms in future. There is no date known when the renovation will start. At the moment, the business centre is renovated.

-------------------------------------
Pictures from hotel stays

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.