Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Guilin China [Master Thread]

Sheraton Guilin China [Master Thread]

Old Feb 25, 2011, 10:27 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat
The last post in this thread was more than 1 year old. Can someone please post some update?
Planning to go to Guilin this summer, and can't decide if I should stay in this hotel or other much cheaper hotels.
Are the rooms new, and large and do they have good views? Are there suites to be upgraded? Is the location conveient?
Thanks.
Old Jul 9, 2011, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by jjj0002
The last post in this thread was more than 1 year old. Can someone please post some update?
Planning to go to Guilin this summer, and can't decide if I should stay in this hotel or other much cheaper hotels.
Are the rooms new, and large and do they have good views? Are there suites to be upgraded? Is the location conveient?
Thanks.
Likewise. Planning on using some points for a night or two here and would love some info. The "Transportation Page" of the property's website says Downtown is 45 minutes away - is this right? Why is the location so good if that is the case?

Many thanks.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 10:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
No, it's not right. The airport is 45 minutes away from downtown however.

It's a very central location that is difficult to beat in Guilin. The main pedestrian tourist drag is behind it, and the river in front. When the pollution/smog is low, there may be good views, but not the case when we were there. We did get a plat upgrade to a suite on the top floor, complete with balcony - which looked out across the river and the city, but it was too hot and humid to want to sit out on it.

The rooms aren't massive, are pretty brown (but then I'm finding that with most SPG properties ) but they are nicely done. Beds are comfy, good bathroom, effective air con.

If you want more info, there is some further information in this trip report http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...-f-cz-f-y.html
Old Sep 29, 2011, 11:04 am

Recent Stay (9/2011)

I recently stayed at the Guilin Sheraton for a night on C+P as a Gold member. The rooms are fine (typical Sheraton rooms but well-renovated). I was put on the 5th fl which is apparently an SPG floor though I don't know what the differences are other than a couple bottles of water. I was told I would have a river view, but I actually faced the pool, so I can't comment on how river views look.

Other Gold amenity was the choose one option (welcome drink/fruit, internet in-room, or dry cleaning) at check-in. I went for the welcome drink/fruit. The fruit was great, and I got a coupon for a beer at the lobby bar.

The location of the hotel is great - especially for one night as there are plenty of restaurants and shopping within an easy walk.

If you, like I did, have an early morning flight, I suggest you mention it the night before to the front desk / concierge so that a taxi may be ordered as you'll have to allow 45 minutes or so to reach the airport. It is also worth reconfirming this. I asked for a taxi at 5:45 AM, but when I checked-out at that time, the order hadn't been placed. I had to wait an additional 25 minutes before a taxi arrived which, at that hour, is less than desirable.

Overall, though, a nice stay.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 11:24 pm

Points or C&P

After reviewing this thread, I am considering booking this hotel for our China trip this fall. However, when I checked the availability of points or cash & points bookings, the only rooms available for a wide variety of rates, both within the next month and later in the summer/fall, are rooms with 2 single beds. When looking for best rate, a wide variety of king rooms become available. Has anyone seen this before or is this something new?
Old Feb 21, 2012, 7:49 am

Programs: SPG P
Encountered the same situation in Oct'11. Go ahead book the twin rooms, and ask them to change to a King bed room, I was upgraded to a junior suite as a plat member though. They have a nice club lounge on 7th floor with a balcony over-looking the river.
Old Aug 5, 2012, 1:52 pm

Non-smoking rooms?

Can anyone comment on the availability of non-smoking rooms? There seems to be conflicting information. Orbitz shows the whole hotel as non-smoking, however the Starwood website shows that smoke-free rooms are unavailable for my dates. I've also read some online reviews complaining of smoky rooms.

Last edited by jlin17; Aug 5, 2012 at 6:39 pm
Old Oct 14, 2012, 5:54 am

Programs: UA,AA,Marriott Platinum
Anyone stateyes here with kids? Planning on staying with 2 kids but the award is on bookable for 2 single beds.

Ideally I would like to get a king bed which is sufficient for us and not paying extra for 3rd guest.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 3:21 pm

Any recent stays here? Planning to spend 4 nights on points visiting grandsons teaching English at a local college
Will be with my daughter, I'm gold is there a lounge? For breakfast?
Old Mar 17, 2013, 3:35 am

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
I was there in September. There is a club lounge but I did not book a club room to get access. I was gold and they put me on club floor. Couldnt see much of a view from the river. There is a walking street nearby. I had breakfast in the hotel for one morning which I paid for as the next morning we were leaving early and would miss breakfast so didnt include it in room rate. I found it to be a little tatty in some areas but it was OK generally.
Old Nov 23, 2013, 5:40 am

Programs: Star Alliance - AC
Location, location, location.

This Sheraton is the old 80's tall atrium overlooking the lobby format hotel. It still has that 80's brown red carpet and there are some definite signs of wear and tear. Considering the obvious age of the hotel, maintenance has clearly been done and everything is clean as can be.

As for the rooms, our room was on the smaller side, the shower is the old fashion mosaic tile format of the 80's and our AC did not cool however the bed was new and the classic good Sheraton mattress.

We asked for the quiet side of the hotel or the rooms that face the pool not the river, which we received.

The location in the middle of the tourist action. In front is the Li River. The back, one street in is ZhengYang Pedestrian street. You are 20 minutes walk to Fubo Hill. Every food option is available a few minute walk away. Multiple legitimate Chinese massage on the same block as the hotel, as well as multiple bars, clubs and coffee shops. Can't stop raving about the location.

Service is fantastic, everybody speaks English.

Breakfast is standard buffet with all the Western and Asian staples included.

It's one of these hotels that the location trumps everything and you can overlook a few little flaws because of the convenience.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 12:37 pm

Programs: UA 1k, US Airways Silver, SPG PLT, Marriot Gold, Hertz PC
Headed here in September to do three / four days worth of sightseeing, will report back as a PLT member who booked with points
Old Jul 22, 2014, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Also have point reservations there in Sept booked in 2 accounts. Called SPG this afternoon to ask rep put in request for Non-Smoking room. After rep did her input, the reservations DISAPPEAR from My Stay in both accounts. Called back SPG, the rep could find reservations with reservation numbers but not be able to see details. He said reservations look still alive as there are no cancellation numbers associated with them, but it is "weird" that he could not pull them up to see the details.

No idea what is going on. Currently ask assistance from William to sort this out. This is really frustrating as I need the hotel booking print out for Visa application purpose.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 4:50 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Happy
Also have point reservations there in Sept booked in 2 accounts. Called SPG this afternoon to ask rep put in request for Non-Smoking room. After rep did her input, the reservations DISAPPEAR from My Stay in both accounts. Called back SPG, the rep could find reservations with reservation numbers but not be able to see details. He said reservations look still alive as there are no cancellation numbers associated with them, but it is "weird" that he could not pull them up to see the details.

No idea what is going on. Currently ask assistance from William to sort this out. This is really frustrating as I need the hotel booking print out for Visa application purpose.
Not sure there is a need to post this in three different threads in the Starwood forum......

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...d-request.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...h-spg-com.html
Old Jul 22, 2014, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by controller1
Not sure there is a need to post this in three different threads in the Starwood forum......

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...d-request.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...h-spg-com.html
Because this is a Starwood system issue that manifests itself from time to time. Count yourself lucky you have not encountered such for once it happens, it is NOT an easy fix.

Initially I found a thread but later realized it is NOT the same issue because the existing thread was for booking made on 3rd party site, specifically it was thru FHR, and the issue was the SPG account number not in the reservation.

Once I realized it wasn't the same issue, I edited the post and opened a new thread.

Per the PM exchanges with Starwood Llurker, this is a recurring system glitch he thought it was fixed last week but apparently it wasn't. He said he would need some technical assistance on this.

For information purpose, when this happens, basically the SPG account numbers "fell off" from the reservations so the ressie became "Ghost reservations", even though they are reward stays to begin with. The only way to make them reappear is to cancel and rebook. However a cancellation only cancel the reservation itself, but would not cancel the Reward - meaning that the points would NOT return back to the account, and it requires human intervention to manually fix it.

The system glitch is, SPG account number would fall off after a reservation is "touched" and this needs to be made aware of that such glitch still exists.

I would post a thorough update on the proper thread once a solution is found and issue fixed.

Now you have been informed and possibly educated why I post this in Starwood forum. So that if others encounter similar issues, others may know what need to get done.

Last edited by Happy; Jul 22, 2014 at 9:33 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.