New Platinum Benefit - request

Old Mar 16, 2013, 10:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat Pro, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Suggestion for a New Platinum Benefit

Hello all,

I thought I'd write a thread suggesting a new Platinum benefit and perhaps if you like the idea, you can +1 this thread. Maybe if enough of us do this, Starwood will take notice and consider it.

The idea is simple... Waive the 2.7% foreign transaction fee for Platinum Starwood American Express card holders.

We travel a lot. And we are the most valuable segment of Starwood. To hit use with a foreign transaction fee when we travel abroad is onerous. Although it used to be different, today, we have numberous choices of alternate cards without foreign transaction fees. It's time Starwood and American Express stepped up and matched this benefit so many other cards are offering.

If you like this idea, +1 it or comment below. I hope enough of us can convince Starwood and American Express to change this for Platinums.

Last edited by TravelinSperry; Mar 18, 2013 at 12:06 am Reason: More clear title
Old Mar 16, 2013, 10:26 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond

Bad thread title.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 11:00 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Starwood has nothing to do with determining CC benefits, only Amex does. Well, everyone would like that, but it costs Amex money to do that. They probably think the card has enough benefits already so it doesn't need that one, too. The extra Starpoints for using the card at a Starwood hotel overseas offset the extra fee. For non-Starwood purchases overseas, I use my forex-free Amex Platinum, Chase Hyatt Visa, Chase Priority Club Visa, or Citi Hilton Hhonors Reserve Visa card.

Last edited by DCBob; Mar 16, 2013 at 11:09 pm
Old Mar 16, 2013, 11:10 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, CX DM, SQ Gold
That benefit would be too US-centric.

The SPG Amex is not available in many markets and Plats who would not be able to receive this benefit probably greatly outnumber those who would.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 11:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This thread belongs to Amex forum, not here. The foreign transaction fee is charged by Amex, not SPG.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 11:38 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by TerryK
This thread belongs to Amex forum, not here. The foreign transaction fee is charged by Amex, not SPG.
Yes, as I stated in Post #3. What Starwood could do is to NOT tack on any EXTRA credit card transaction fees to your hotel bill. All Starwood hotels in Australia tack on an extra 1.5% there. This is a line item on your hotel bill and you pay it whenever you use a CC. Not sure if this is done in any other country.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 3:42 am

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by DCBob
Yes, as I stated in Post #3. What Starwood could do is to NOT tack on any EXTRA credit card transaction fees to your hotel bill. All Starwood hotels in Australia tack on an extra 1.5% there. This is a line item on your hotel bill and you pay it whenever you use a CC. Not sure if this is done in any other country.
In Australia merchants have the right to recover the CC service fee from the customer if they choose to. Trying booking with QANTAS and they also charge a fee for using credit cards.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 4:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat Pro, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by clublounger

Bad thread title.
What would you title it? It seems I should post in Amex area based on comments here... so if you have a better title... perhaps I can use that and repost?
Old Mar 17, 2013, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
What would you title it? It seems I should post in Amex area based on comments here... so if you have a better title... perhaps I can use that and repost?
perhaps 'suggestion for a new platinum benefit'....your thread title seemed like spg was offering a new plat benefit which had to be requested....
Old Mar 18, 2013, 12:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Keyser
perhaps 'suggestion for a new platinum benefit'....your thread title seemed like spg was offering a new plat benefit which had to be requested....
Oh my, i see how it can be interpreted as such now. sorry!
Old Mar 18, 2013, 2:36 pm

Programs: AC E, *A G, Starwood Platinum, Fairmont Platinum, Porter Points
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9700; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.666 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

I'll give it a +1, very very few cards in Canada with no FX
Old Mar 18, 2013, 3:03 pm

The Platinum benefits in the past two years have screwed me royally. How will the New Platinum Benefits do a better job in screwing me? What am I missing here?
Old Mar 18, 2013, 3:13 pm

Programs: SPG, Hyatt, CC, AA, UA, WN
Originally Posted by alley cat
The Platinum benefits in the past two years have screwed me royally. How will the New Platinum Benefits do a better job in screwing me? What am I missing here?
Can you elaborate?
Old Mar 18, 2013, 3:40 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
nah. Too many other good cards out there with no foreign fees. I'd like to see incremental benefits for card holders, but this wouldn't be on the top of my list. I'm not sure we'll ever see Plat-specific benefits for AMEX card holders.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 4:57 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Qantas Platinum 1, IHG Diamond, United 1K, Avis President
Originally Posted by alley cat
I guess it could be a new angle of "screwing"? Like, if Starwood promised you a Maserati every time you checked in, but gave you a ford focus, that would be a pretty good spin on your screwing.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.