Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Read House, Chattanooga, TN [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Read House, Chattanooga, TN [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2007, 2:16 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
I stayed their for about six months this summer/ fall. It is a historic hotel. Rooms are all over the place IE some very small and some nice suites. I noramlly book the suites, upgrades are hit & miss. The club is nice and good size they will make eggs to order if you ask. Location is great for downtown. Overall I like the hotle and stay their, but it is boom or bust I have had great service their then I have had pretty bad service their. They do get some conventions that take up a lot of the hotel. Overall they are out of the way other then longer elevator lines.
Old Jun 7, 2008, 7:59 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Marriot Silver, Hilton gold
Sheraton Read House in Chattanooga

Anyone thinking about staying here tonight, don't. They are having some type of Hip Hop party in the ballroom on the first floor. It is crazy that I can hear the loud music all the way up on the fifth floor. We have been here for two days now. When I called the front desk they advised that they had one room on the sixth floor we could move to. If I can hear it on this floor what makes them think that it will be any better one more floor up. For the cost of this place I expected a little more. Yesterday the pool looked like it had milk in it. They said all the chemicals were fine, you deceided. And the hot tub was broken because they were having the pump rebuilt. This made it about as hot as a warm bath tub. The tub in our room drains really slow and you end up standing in three inches of water for a shower.
Now the good news. Nice tv, it is a wide screen LCD tv with a very nice picrture and the lobby is beautiful. Oh and I must mention the Vallet attendants are very polite and helpful, not there fault they work here.
Last year we stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn just down the road. It is closer to the Aquarium and was very nice. When we come back I will stay there for sure.
Old Jun 7, 2008, 11:09 pm

Programs: AA 4MM EXP; Starwood Lifetime Plt
I stayed in a 'suite' at this hotel. Although it was a real suite, divided into separate sitting and sleeping areas, both were so small that it was nearly impossible for two people to stand up at the same time in either one of them. The cocktail hour and the breakfast in the club lounge were completely useless, but there is a large Starbucks in the lobby with lots of comfortable seating. The hotel staff were great. They supplied discount and even free tickets to local tourist attractions and lots of other help.
Old Mar 6, 2009, 9:12 am

I am planning to stay here next week, I read one review on Tripadvisor that two people were mugged in front of the hotel, is it in a bad area?

Any restaurant suggestions in Chattanooga?
Old Mar 13, 2009, 9:10 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Southwest RR, AA
Are the Suites Club level? I just booked a suite and there is no Club level suite option. I don't like your post Taft as I'm planning on bringing the family. Not good at all - if it's true. Never been to Chattanooga so I can't commemt on the area.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 12:57 pm

Location: (not Montana. Nor is my name really Helena, nor am I female)
Programs: Delta, USAirways, Starwood, Priority Club, Marriott, Amex
I enjoyed a stay here this past weekend with my family. We were upgraded to a nice large suite on the 3rd floor. We liked the pool, and the rather large hot tub, and especially the hotel's general ambience.

Lounge was closed on weekends, no free breakfast coupons offered to compensate. Restaurant offers buffet breakfast at, I think, $11.95 on weekends, but the City Cafe Diner just across the street worked out to be less expensive for my family. I didn't think the Diner's breakfast fare was all that great, but I did want to mention them here to say you should go over there to look at their cakes and pies. Even if you don't buy one they're astounding, and if you do get to taste one, their beauty is not just skin deep!

No self-parking, and valet was $15/day, though there is a city parking garage across the street, not sure what their rates are.

One thing I don't quite understand is why they don't install doors between the sleeping and living areas in their suites. Evidently, none have such a door, though many or most (and there seem to be several) have two separate rooms connected by an archway or small corridor. It seems to me a minor investment that would significantly upgrade the suites.
Old Feb 9, 2010, 5:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium & Lifetime Platinum, United Platinum, Delta Silver
Does anyone have any recent information on this hotel in terms of Plat upgrades, club lounge, condition of gym, room service quality, service and staff, etc?
Old Feb 9, 2010, 5:29 pm

Programs: DL GM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, GPP Silver
I had two weekend award stays here during the fall of 2009. As a result I did not use the club lounge and cannot comment on that. I got one upgrade to a corner Jr. Suite during my two stays. I believe some rooms are in the historic section of the building and some rooms are in a more modern addition. Therefore, as mentioned before the rooms do vary in size and layout more than you may see in all new construction.

The gym appeared to be well outfitted but I did not use it myself. Very nice large indoor pool and hottub. Parking is $15. City garage is nearby. Street parking is free overnight. Overall a very good location in downtown Chattanooga. Starbucks Coffee Shop located in lobby. Staff were nice enough but not memorable.
Old Feb 9, 2010, 6:54 pm

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
gym is plenty big for the amount of people that will actually use it. valet service is fast. $15 is a riot in Chatt, but us SPG members shouldn't complain about this too much after they check their account activity a couple of days later, if you catch my drift.

can't comment on the upgrades or room service and all, as i only live an hour north and just stay here whenever there's an open-bar friend's wedding or other random summer nights
Old Mar 1, 2010, 7:25 am

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
checked in around 9pm this past Saturday night for a one-night stay. Had to have 2 queen beds, and apparently their are only Kings or King Suites on the Club level (7), so when I asked for club level (gold member) I couldn't get it. Clerk told me she put me in a "preferred guest room" on the 6th floor. There's a sign as you exit the elevator that states it's a "preferred guest floor", and half the rooms have a little sign on the door that states this, as well.

got a corner room that faced downtown and the building next to us (two windows). emergency stairwell was actually between us and the room next door, so no complaints at all about the room.. except the bathroom was pretty tiny! plenty of room in the sleeping area. one of the bottles of water said complimentary, and the other said $2.00?? is this new?

valet service was fast and a good experience as usual. was charged the full $15 at the desk even tho i informed the clerk that my corporate rate was negotiated at $11. she gave me some excuse that the rates changed as of jan 1. printed off our agreement that still shows $11, so will have to call back and get refunded the difference for the two cars we valeted.

I also received a code for internet usage. Not sure if that is a code for free wifi or just an access code to be able to use and pay for the service

overall, another good experience, and a cheap way to add stays to keep gold since i shared with a couple of friends

FWIW, I don't think I noticed "Falor" on the ownership sign at check in.

Also, this is a good link to read about Room 311.

Last edited by mrredskin; Mar 1, 2010 at 9:38 am
Old Nov 12, 2011, 4:36 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

And I am writing this from room 311 which is allegedly an "executive suite." Nioce view of a dingy inner courtyard. Haven't seen any ghosts, but then I was inoculated against ghosts by means of a scientific education.

Parking remains $15. Ample street parking is free after 4:30pm until 9am, and all day weekends.

I wish they actually maintained the rooms. This room and the one I rejected earlier were at least 5 years overdue for a renovation, although the TV's have been updated to flat screens. There is dust and dirt everywhere as maid service has not been very thorough over a long period of time. There is no newspaper delivery to rooms although US News is available in the lobby.

Bathrooms are tiny, as is characteristic of old, non-updated, hotels.

The club is open 7 days for some hot snacks in the evening. The night I was there it was soggy spring rolls and mini-hot dogs. Beer and wine is extra. Breakfast ends at 9am so I'll never try it.

Others clearly like this place but I will never stay here again, even if they give the rooms away. But then I am not a Sheraton regular so maybe these low standards are now characteristic of lesser Sheratons.
Old Nov 12, 2011, 7:25 am

Programs: AA 4MM EXP; Starwood Lifetime Plt
Originally Posted by RichardInSF

... Breakfast ends at 9am so I'll never try it.

There's no point in trying breakfast in the lounge. It's lousy dried out old pastries and watery coffee. There's a large, and very comfortable Starbucks with an entrance from the lobby though. This is a classic hotel which would be wonderful if properly maintained and modernized with taste, but in it's current state it is simply pitiful.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 2:21 pm

Programs: STARWOOD PLAT, LT GOLD,WN A-LIST PREFERRED, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE
not that bad

Just got back form a one night stay booke a room thru concierge and was last minute after 8:00 pm. Rate was maybe a little high for Chattanooga $134 but got upgared without asking nice corner Suite. Parking was free parked outside on the street very short walk. Club Level BKFST IMO was liked all the others I have had. Free so it was good. Sevrice was fine did not notice any major deficiencies inmy room. Would definitely stay there again. Plenty of other Sheraton properties in worse shape.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by nachoman205
Just got back form a one night stay booke a room thru concierge and was last minute after 8:00 pm. Rate was maybe a little high for Chattanooga $134 but got upgared without asking nice corner Suite. Parking was free parked outside on the street very short walk. Club Level BKFST IMO was liked all the others I have had. Free so it was good. Sevrice was fine did not notice any major deficiencies inmy room. Would definitely stay there again. Plenty of other Sheraton properties in worse shape.
Stayed here last night (and do pretty regularly) and my experiences have been similar. Not one of the best but not one of the worst Sheratons either. Has some character but I'd stay away from the Club lounge food with the exception of the cookies in the evening and soft drinks/water. The Sheraton Bed has me coming back almost every time I'm in town.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 6:26 am

Any recent stays here? Its 2 years from last report...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.