Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Pine Cliffs Hotel, Albufeira, Algarve, Portugal [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pine Cliffs Hotel, Albufeira, Algarve, Portugal [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2014, 2:19 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Hotel closed for renovation Nov 2014 - June 2105

Hotel Renovations: November 3, 2014 - June 30, 2015

From November 3, 2014, to June 30, 2015, the hotel will undergo a phased renovation process. All accommodations, public areas, dining venues, and the conference center will be updated, and 78 new luxury suites, a state-of-the-art health spa, an Italian restaurant, and underground parking will be constructed. The first phase is expected to be completed by late June 2015, at which time the hotel will reopen for the summer season.

When our hotel is closed, we invite guests to stay at the Pine Cliffs Residence, a Luxury Collection Resort, which is also located on the premises and provides access to available facilities.
See http://www.pinecliffs.com/en/renovation/
Old Nov 4, 2014, 9:11 pm

I wonder if it will drop the Sheraton name when it reopens. Many of the Luxury Collection legacy properties with Sheraton names have left Starwood (Phuket), been downgraded to regular Sheraton (Ankara, Kuala Lumpur) or dropped the name (Park Tower, Sofia Balkan) in the last couple of years. I'm sure a lot of it has to do with contracts signed years ago to use the name and waiting till they run out. Right now the Sheratons in the Luxury Collection are nearly as odd as the bizarre Ritz-Carlton Chicago (A Four Seasons Hotel), which predates the modern Ritz-Carlton chain.
Old May 23, 2015, 10:49 am

Video representations of the refurbished rooms are now up on the website :

http://pinecliffsjourney.com/

About half of the rooms will have been refurbished when the hotel reopens after the first phase of refurbishments on 1 July.

Rates have been loaded too. Looking at the inventory for a 2-adult peak season stay in August, there is :

'Deluxe Room', plus the refurbished 'Premium Deluxe Room', which is selling for Eur50 more
'Grand Deluxe Room', plus the refurbished 'Premium Grand Deluxe Room', which is selling for Eur50 more
'Junior Suite', looks like none have been refurbished
'Luxury Suite', plus the refurbished 'Premium Suite', which is selling at the same price.

A negative consequence for SPG members is that the refurbished 'Premium Deluxe' rooms are not available for SPG redemptions, just the 'Deluxe'. I presume this is a consequence of creating a new, higher room type for the refurbished rooms (and charging more for them).

This does raise the question though : when the second phase of refurbishments (winter 2015-16) are complete and all rooms become 'Premium', what will be available for redemptions ?
Old Jun 16, 2015, 1:47 pm

Reopening confirmed for June 26.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Question Beach? Best time of year to visit?

I've skimmed through this very useful thread but am unclear on how long a walk it is to the beach, what the beach is like and the best time of year to visit there.

More specifically:

1. I understand that it is something of a trek down to the beach and back, but about how many minutes is it? My wife and I are in good shape and hike in the hills near home, so unless it's really a very long, very steep climb I imagine we could manage it. But I'd still welcome knowing how long the walk is.
2. I believe I saw one mention here or at Tripadvisor of a long beach to walk on. Is this the case, or is the beach more or a small, secluded spot?
3. How private or crowded does the beach get, whether with hotel guests or other folks?
4. Finally, what would be the best months (if any) to visit the hotel and the surrounding area to still get warm and sunny weather on the one hand but avoid if possible big crowds on the other?

Thanks for any advice!
Old Jul 15, 2015, 7:36 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Its not very long or steep. Look at this location on google maps and you can estimate the distance:

https://www.google.de/maps/place/Bea...8.1787181,359m

There is an elevator to take you down the first significant section.

Its a long beach, see google maps above. Its not small or secluded, but none most occupied by hotel guests.

Algarve is best visited in June-July or September. Plan around Brit school holidays and you should be fine.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by Thunderroad
I've skimmed through this very useful thread but am unclear on how long a walk it is to the beach, what the beach is like and the best time of year to visit there.

More specifically:

1. I understand that it is something of a trek down to the beach and back, but about how many minutes is it? My wife and I are in good shape and hike in the hills near home, so unless it's really a very long, very steep climb I imagine we could manage it. But I'd still welcome knowing how long the walk is.
2. I believe I saw one mention here or at Tripadvisor of a long beach to walk on. Is this the case, or is the beach more or a small, secluded spot?
3. How private or crowded does the beach get, whether with hotel guests or other folks?
4. Finally, what would be the best months (if any) to visit the hotel and the surrounding area to still get warm and sunny weather on the one hand but avoid if possible big crowds on the other?

Thanks for any advice!
1. Neither long nor steep : an elevator ride, then a 5 minute walk down a well-maintained boardwalk, which has the occasional group of 4 or 5 steps as it drops down the ravine.
2 and 3. If you turn right, it's about 500m to the headland. If you turn left, it's an uninterrupted 5.5km stretch of golden sand which ends at a harbour wall. The hotel has a cluster of sunbeds at the bottom of the boardwalk, once you are past this and the water sports hut, you have loads of room all to yourself. It never gets really crowded, even in high season.
4. I would say, if you are intent on avoiding peak season : May, June and September.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Thanks so much, oliver and Oxon! This is very useful info.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Hotel closed for renovation Nov 2014 - June 2105
Good news. If the hotel re-opens in 2015, it is 90 years ahead of schedule
Old Jul 16, 2015, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by Thunderroad

More specifically:

Thanks for any advice!
It is a going to be pleasant walk because the hotel grounds are beautiful. There are acres of grounds and various condo sections, but I wouldn't mind the walk from any point. The portion of beach at the end of the boardwalk stairs is a cozy cove with beautiful rocks in the water and the water's not too deep. With the elevator bypassing the steepest part, getting down is not too bad even if you are not in shape. There's a cafe there, too. In April or May, the weather would be beautifully warm and sunny but the water would still be colder than I would want. For a non-peak month when the water's warm, September or early October would be good.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 12:38 am

Programs: UA - Platinum, SPG - Platinum 75
Just bumping this thread... has anyone stayed since it reopened in June? I'll be heading their for an RNR beach vacation with my husband in September, and would love to hear any comments about the renovation, what's open/closed, etc.

Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 10, 2015, 5:01 am

The hotel is open and all the usual facilities and restaurants are operating as normal.

The reception and lobby area has been improved, the inside corridors have had aircon and glass sliding doors added, and about 50 of the rooms are refurbished.

The big new Ocean Suites extension is half-built and hidden behind decorative shrouding :

Construction has stopped for the season so there is no noise intrusion. Staff and service are as good as always.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 5:13 am

Programs: UA - Platinum, SPG - Platinum 75
Thanks Oxon for the update! Sounds like it will still be a great place for a week of relaxation. I'm planning on using my SNAs for the stay, but I was also hoping to get a renovated rooms... it sounds like it may be that the suites are not updated... Are the suites worth it (question to anybody), or do you think getting a nice renovated room with a view would be better?
Old Aug 10, 2015, 5:30 am

Originally Posted by steveniswhere
Thanks Oxon for the update! Sounds like it will still be a great place for a week of relaxation. I'm planning on using my SNAs for the stay, but I was also hoping to get a renovated rooms... it sounds like it may be that the suites are not updated... Are the suites worth it (question to anybody), or do you think getting a nice renovated room with a view would be better?
Certainly a yes for the relaxation.

The current status by room category is :

Standard (aka Deluxe) : Some have been refurbished
Grand Deluxe : Some have been refurbished
Junior Suite : None have been refurbished
Bi-level Suite : Some have been refurbished

The blocks of rooms that have been refurbished to date are mostly the 'resort view' rooms facing landwards, so I don't think any of the refurbished rooms have the nice garden or ocean views. Also, I learned from one of the managers that, for this interim season, the refurbished rooms are excluded from the SPG upgrade pool (they are selling for Eur50 more than their unrefurbished counterpart), so you probably won't be able to use an SNA for a refurbished room or suite. Maybe you could try a dummy reservation and see what is offered when you try and apply the SNA ?

IMHO, unless there are more than 2 of you, I would choose a lower category room with an ocean view over a junior suite without.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 1:27 am

Dropping the Sheraton name

As I expected, the hotel seems to be dropping the legacy Sheraton name, like all the other "Sheratons" in the Luxury Collection have recently. When it reopens from renovations on June 26, 2016 it will be known as Pine Cliffs Hotel. The new website is already active, with the new logo:

http://www.pinecliffshotel.com/en

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.