Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Pine Cliffs Hotel, Albufeira, Algarve, Portugal [Master Thread]

Pine Cliffs Hotel, Albufeira, Algarve, Portugal [Master Thread]

Old May 3, 2016, 12:41 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
And they obviously need to sell some timeshares:

Easter offer: http://www.pinecliffs.com/en/offers/easter-2016/

Came back as spring offer:

SPRING SPECIAL OFFER INCLUDES:
- 4 Days/3 Nights with Breakfast, at a Luxurious 2-bedroom Apartment
(2 adults + 2 Children under 12 years old)
- Offer of a Dinner Voucher (80) at the Resort
- 10% discount at Pine Cliffs Restaurants
- Free access to Porto Pirata (supervision not included)
- Free access to Health Club and Gym

Price From: 98 per adult / per night - free for children under 12!

This unique offer is valid from May 01st until June 22nd of 2016. Other dates and prices available. Valid for a minimum of 2 adults (couples) reservation. Subject to availability and Terms and Conditions.

Terms and Conditions
The price is per adult/night and based on a min.-max. stay of 3 nights for 2 adults + 2 children. Accepting this promotion requires attending a presentation by both partners about the benefits of the Pine Cliffs Luxury Lifestyle Properties and Holiday ownership options. This one time offer is subsidised by Pine Cliffs, with the aim of informing you about our properties and holiday ownership options for sale. This promotion is aimed at couples between 25 and 70 years. This promotion is non-transferable and cannot be used in conjunction with any other promotion of Pine Cliffs and its services. This promotion is not valid for Algarve residents, existing Pine Cliffs Vacation Club members and property owners, employees or guests who have already attended a presentation.
Old May 3, 2016, 3:51 am

Anyone able to rename the thread with the hotel's new name?

Pine Cliffs Hotel, a Luxury Collection Resort, Algarve
Old Jul 19, 2016, 3:13 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
They are not really afraid to use superlatives:

The Luxury Collection Hotels & Resorts, part of Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc., officially open the Pine Cliffs Ocean Suites, a Luxury Collection Resort in the Algarve. Owned by United Investments Portugal, the celebrated Portuguese cliff-top retreat recently emerged from an epic 18 month, 50 million renovation of its award-winning Pine Cliffs Hotel, alongside the addition of the new contemporary Pine Cliffs Ocean Suites. Together with Pine Cliffs Residence, they form the heart of Portugals leading lifestyle destination, their debut signalling the reawakening of the region as a serious contemporary luxury destination for sophisticated, discerning travellers. Pine Cliffs is the latest treasure to be unveiled by The Luxury Collection as part of a multi-million dollar investment to restore the brands most iconic European hotels.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 10:02 am

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP
Just completed a 4 day stay at the hotel. We got a great rate of 4 days for the price of 3 for the entry level room, the Premium Deluxe. We received an upgrade to a bi level Premium Duplex Suite, which was truly gorgeous. The staff were friendly and helpful and the resort itself is very nice. There are lots of restaurants in the complex plus some pleasant ones within walking distance. We drove to Villamoura for dinner one night but weren't overly impressed as it could have been anywhere. We also took a taxi into Albufeira on another night and had wonderful fresh seafood high above the waterfront at A Ruina restaurant ( recommended). There are also a number of Michelin starred restaurants in the area if that is more of your thing.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 4:54 am

Programs: LH/*A Gold, BA/OW Emerald, EK Silver, SPG Plat, HH Gold
Just completed a 6 day stay at the hotel. I was quite disappointed. No upgrade as Plat50 because the hotel was full. The place is huge and you do not feel really relaxed. It is just too big and too crowded during summer. The golf course is a nice 9-hole layout. Restaurants are ok. Beach is nice, but the sunbeds are extremely close to each other. In general, nice area, but the whole resort is just too big and too crowded.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 5:27 am

But in the off season/golf season it is lovely. Many Brits in the condos, hotel still busy enough for everything to be open. Hotel food very expensive but if you walk across the road just outside the entrance, there is a frango restaurant where you can get roast chicken, salad and fries among other things very reasonably, and a few other restaurants within walking distance on that road.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 7:10 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by hoteltraum
In general, nice area, but the whole resort is just too big and too crowded.
That is to be expected with the number of rooms they have between the three properties. (over 500 rooms) We stayed at the Pine Cliffs SUITES property last year and due to the smaller size it felt a bit more luxurious but since the property shares the beach and all common areas with the Hotel and the Residences it really is a huge resort. There are smaller more luxurious properties in the Algarve but you are going to have to pay dearly for them and they are not part of SPG.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 11:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It's not just the three Starwood hotels, but the resort complex also has townhouses and a small number of huge homes that seem to be privately owned. I'm not sure whether it's mostly time share or regular condos.

Sheraton Cascais, also in Portugal but much closer to Lisbon, seems to be developing in the same way, with many units (timeshare/condo) in addition to the hotel. Still, it's nowhere near as huge as Pine Cliffs.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 12:25 pm

When I first read that there are plans for a W Algarve and the Residences at the W Algarve I was worried that it too would be added to the current Pine Cliffs site but I think it is a separate property now that I read it was being developed by a company that doesn't own Pine Cliffs. (Developer owners The Gritti Palace in Venice, The St. Regis Florence, The Westin Excelsior Florence and the W Doha Hotel & Residences.) Adding even more units to Pine Cliffs would completely ruin the resort but the reality is if they have space and can make money the developer will likely do it.

Last edited by christianj; Aug 9, 2017 at 12:36 pm
Old Aug 9, 2017, 2:27 pm

I also had the feeling the whole complex is just too big for beeing a luxury resort. The other problem is that there is no division between the cheaper and higher end parts of the comple. I also think that there are not enough pools for the size of the hotel and what is really missing is a seperate area for adults only (as there are many areas especially for families and children). During my stay, I experienced the breakfast as a big deaster - felt more like in a youth hostel rather a luxury hotel.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 5:58 am

Originally Posted by thomasito
I also had the feeling the whole complex is just too big for beeing a luxury resort. The other problem is that there is no division between the cheaper and higher end parts of the comple. I also think that there are not enough pools for the size of the hotel and what is really missing is a seperate area for adults only (as there are many areas especially for families and children). During my stay, I experienced the breakfast as a big deaster - felt more like in a youth hostel rather a luxury hotel.
+1 on the comments of separation and needing an adult pool!

As for the breakfast, it was indeed a zoo BUT I find this common when vacationing at larger resorts in Europe or sometimes even in city hotels. Fact of the matter is that most European tourists book their vacations with some sort of meal plan that includes at least a breakfast. (this is NOT common in the US at all and most of my European counterparts complain that we always have to pay for breakfast in the US) The fact that the breakfast is included in the rate IMHO fully explain the free for all atmosphere! The mantra seems to be....stuff yourself as full as possible AND if you can get away with it pack a plastic bag full of stuff to take to the beach with you for lunch to feed your family of 4! The amounts I have seen people eat and the things I have seen them try and pack to take on the go are absolutely disgusting. Sadly staying at more expensive hotels does NOT seem to always help as people with money don't always have better manners. How do you solve this? Offer one free entree off the menu as the "included breakfast" and call it a day. Problem with this is that people will ..... and complain about the stingy breakfast at the place they stayed.

Reality is that if some people feel that they paid for it (or earned it) they are going to take advantage of it to the full effect...just look at all the comments we get about the zoo like atmosphere in hotel club lounges. People feel they either paid to upgrade to the club lounge level or they feel their loyalty has earned them the right to the club lounge based on elite status. Some of those then drag as many people into the lounge as possible and voila!!!....we have a lounge free for all!

Last edited by christianj; Aug 10, 2017 at 6:07 am
Old Aug 30, 2017, 1:18 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
A couple of recent pictures of the beach, showing the area occupied by the Pine Cliffs sunbeds.

This is 'high season', in July.

The building next to the sunbeds on the beach is the 'Beach Club by Olivier' restaurant/bar.

Last edited by Oxon Flyer; Aug 30, 2017 at 1:35 pm
Old May 29, 2020, 6:05 pm

Pine Cliffs Hotel, a Luxury Collection Resort, Algarve, Portugal [Master Thread]

folks - i'm trying to book this hotel with points for the 1st week of may 2021. Somehow, all the rates I seem to get are 'Redemption with cash upgrade' and no rooms available with just points. Is this normal this far out?

Thanks
Old May 30, 2020, 2:25 pm

Anybody with some ideas? Also, is there a way to find the email for the duty manager of a hotel? Maybe I can email him and see if they plan to open up some points only redemptions soon and hope he'll oblige for this 1-week reservation

thx
Old May 30, 2020, 6:32 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
I don't understand the issue. I see 50k/night all month long in April and May. Are you trying to do more than 2 people?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.