FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   The Westin Warsaw, Poland [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/352326-westin-warsaw-poland-master-thread.html)

mauld Jul 6, 2003 4:19 am

The Westin Warsaw, Poland [Master Thread]

Just came back from a stay at this newly opened property (opened this past Monday), and given time it could be a winner. It is located in the old Jewish Ghetto area that is seeing lots of new hotels opening. I was told I was only one of 20 guests staying on this past Sat night and was given an 'executive/business room' on a corner (#1627) with sweeping views of the city from windows facing north and west. While true it was set up as a business room with electonic connections, it was not a large room. It did boast a 'heavenly bed' and yes the duvet was 'heavenly' the mattress sadly was not. The style is very contempory/W' ish with a very modern design. The bath had a separate stall shower & a large soaking tub but otherwise was pretty cramped, it had the usual Westin soaps/shampoos etc. What was missing in the room were any description of services, a room service menu, coffee machine, hair dryer, clock radio & drawer space. I found only one drawer located on the bottom of the TV stand, the nightstands were only wooden slabs attached to the wall. Be warned the room has one of those new electronic minibars that charges you when you 'touch' anything! It also has (I was pleasantly surprised--for Europe at least) an iron & board in the closet. Also while there was an ice bucket, none of the floors were supplied as of yet with ice machines. Additionally there will be an Executive Lounge on the 19th floor at some point, but it was not yet open. There is also a health club already opened, but I didn't get a chance to see it. As a Platinum I was duly welcomed and given the upgrade to an Executive Business room, but no free breakfast, drink coupon or other amenity was offered, even though the lounge wasn't opened. When I asked about it, the front desk didn't know what I was talking about, and mentioned the bar area across from the front desk was open. As it was only one day, I didn't press the matter. The bar area was very open and the staff was very friendly and helpful. While I didn't eat in the restaurant (Fusion), I did read the menu and found it to be very Asian/Thai/Nouveau influenced and was told the newly hired chef was somewhat of a 'celebrity chef' in Warsaw and the restaurant had already recieved some great reviews.
--I had also (the previous night) stayed at the Sheraton Hotel & Towers Warsaw and found it to be very good, with a wonderful Club Lounge that had a full compliment of food & beverages during the cocktail hour as well as serving a large hot & cold buffet for breakfast. This property had a number of different restaurants/bars and while modern, was not quite as 'cool/hip' as I believe the new Westin is aiming for. I was told that both are considered quite expensive by local standards. I paid discounted weekend rates of E95 at the Sheraton & E125 at the Westin. The expectation at both establishments was that they were geared towards 'foreign' business travellers to Poland.
On a side note, while chatting with the bartender and one of the only other customers at the bar- I did hear that Sheraton will be opening up a new hotel in Krakow next year.

[This message has been edited by mauld (edited 07-07-2003).]

AAEXP Jul 10, 2003 3:33 pm

Opening of the Westin Warsaw Hotel

Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc. (NYSE: HOT) announces the opening of the Westin Warsaw Hotel, located in the heart of the business and financial center of Warsaw on one of the city's prime thoroughfares. Guests can currently enjoy a special opening rate of $172 per room per night valid till the end of August 2003. The hotel is owned by Hotel Atrium sp. z o.o and operated by Starwood Hotels & Resorts under its Westin Hotels & Resorts brand.

The Westin Warsaw Hotel, a five star 20-floor international business hotel, includes 361 rooms, conference facilities, ballroom, 1,600 square-foot presidential suite with panoramic view, "Fusion" restaurant, "JP's" Bar and a fitness center. One of the most modern architectural elements of the hotel is a uniquely designed elevator encased in a transparent tube offering visitors spectacular panoramic views of the city. The hotel was designed by the architects John Portman & Associates of Atlanta, Georgia, Design Office Kazimierski and Ryba, Warsaw, Poland and Skanska Teknik Ab, Sweden. The interior design was elaborated by Wilson & Associates Inc. of Dallas, Texas.

The Westin brand takes great pride in providing exceptional standards of service and comfort, covering every aspect of a guest's stay. All of the hotel's guest rooms and suites feature the brand's signature Heavenly Bed(R), Heavenly Bath(R) and numerous other guest amenities including Westin Service Express(R) and Westin One Call(R).

Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc. is the owner and operator of Sheraton Warsaw Hotel & Towers, a luxury property that has set new standards for the hospitality industry in Poland.

seawolf Jul 10, 2003 10:22 pm

Anybody in Starwood notice that this press release has not been proofread?

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">The hotel is owned by Hotel Atrium sp. z o.o and operated by Starwood Hotels & Resorts under its Westin Hotels & Resorts brand.</font>

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc. is the owner and operator of Sheraton Warsaw Hotel & Towers, a luxury property that has set new standards for the hospitality industry in Poland.</font>

mauld Jul 11, 2003 5:08 am

In reference to AAEXP's post on the Warsaw Westin Opening, I'm still hearing occupancy is way down, and thus would imagine rates could be had far below the 'special $172' per night, especially on weekends http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/wink.gif

Starwood Lurker Jul 11, 2003 12:14 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by seawolf:
Anybody in Starwood notice that this press release has not been proofread?

The hotel is owned by Hotel Atrium sp. z o.o and operated by Starwood Hotels & Resorts under its Westin Hotels & Resorts brand.

Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc. is the owner and operator of Sheraton Warsaw Hotel & Towers, a luxury property that has set new standards for the hospitality industry in Poland.</font>

I guess I must be stupid. You're going to have to tell me what is wrong here.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]

[This message has been edited by Starwood Lurker (edited 07-11-2003).]

mauld Jul 11, 2003 1:56 pm

Could it be in the first statement is says the hotel is owned by Atrium and operated by Starwood, and the second paragraph states "Starwood Hotel & Resorts is the owner and operator of the Westin Warsaw". Thus a bit of confusion as to who owns & who operates perhaps???

Starwood Lurker Jul 11, 2003 2:03 pm

Actually, it says that Atrium is owner of the Westin and that Starwood manages (operates) it, but the other quote is in reference to the Sheraton, so I'm still wondering what's wrong here. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/wink.gif

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]

[This message has been edited by Starwood Lurker (edited 07-11-2003).]

seawolf Jul 12, 2003 12:41 am

Oops. I guess I need to proofread myself. It's been a loonng week.

zakami Aug 28, 2003 11:18 am

I stayed at both the Sheraton and the Westin in Warsaw this past weekend and wanted to give the folks on here an update. Stayed at a rate of Euro 105 at both spending 2 nights at the Westin and 1 at the Sheraton. The Westin had very, very low occupancy but the service was outstanding. The hotel itself is very well built and very modern (except that the high-speed internet hadn't been connected yet). I should mention the service again - incredible. Even before arriving, I had taken a peak at my reservation on SPG.com and knew was getting a suite which was a pretty nice suite in fact. The description of the suite - "Deluxe Suite, Heavenly Bed, Sep Spacious Livingroom, Cd/Dvd Stereo, Deluxe Bath Amenities, Fabulous 2 Rm Suite With Separate Lounge & Guest Bathroom, FLat Screen Tv, Bose Entertainment System And Large Work Area". Check-in was extremelly smooth and was given vouchers for free full buffet breakfast and also for drinks between 6 and 8 PM in the lobby bar. My guess is they are trying to promote the bar and restaurant. I did have dinner one evening at the restaurant as well and it was quite good. The Sheraton stay was pretty average in terms of service and the room. Was given a room on a regular floor but was given access to the lounge on the Towers floor. They have a terminal with an ISDN connection for free use in the lounge. The high-light of the Sheraton was the sighting of some celebraties in the lounge and bar - a famous 70s US rock band, a famous US actor and a Polish beauty queen. I will not disclose their names for the sake of their privacy (couple of them are on an extended stay there for a movie shoot). I learnt later on from a butler that the entire movie crew had earned Platinum status and had occupied the butler floor. Anyway, if I had to visit Warsaw again I would probably stay at the Sheraton. There is more to do around the Sheraton - lots of cafes, clubs, restaurants within walking distance whereas the Westin is in more of a commercial area with not much to do nearby (at least I did not come across anything) and the hotel itself is more happening. Maybe after the grand-opening of the Westin in September things will pick up there. Both are equally far from Old Town.

JR-Flyer Aug 28, 2003 12:28 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by mauld:
Additionally there will be an Executive Lounge on the 19th floor at some point, but it was not yet open. ... As a Platinum I was duly welcomed and given the upgrade to an Executive Business room, but no free breakfast, drink coupon or other amenity was offered, even though the lounge wasn't opened. When I asked about it, the front desk didn't know what I was talking about, and mentioned the bar area across from the front desk was open. </font>
According to the terms and conditions hotels have not to offer breakfast coupon, if lounge is not open.
https://www.starwood.com/preferredgu...ditions.html#7
("4. ...If a lounge is closed for any reason, such as renovation, the hotel may consider it not having a lounge during the closed period and is not required to offer alternate accommodations.")

Anyway some hotels do the nicer way.
In the Mexico Sheraton Centro Historico I got a very good buffet-breakfast in the restaurant.

Z-man Aug 28, 2003 1:48 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by mauld:

On a side note, while chatting with the bartender and one of the only other customers at the bar- I did hear that Sheraton will be opening up a new hotel in Krakow next year.

[This message has been edited by mauld (edited 07-07-2003).][/B]</font>
Does anyone have any more info on this as to when it is scheduled to open and where in Krakow?

Starwood Lurker Aug 28, 2003 2:19 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Z-man:
Does anyone have any more info on this as to when it is scheduled to open and where in Krakow?</font>
Scheduled for Sprng of 2004. The hotel will be on Powisle Street...no address, however.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]

nologic Sep 2, 2003 1:28 pm

Having just returned from Warsaw, while the Westin looks nice, I have to admit that I was blown away by how nice the Meridien Briston is/was, which is located in a great location right next door to the Presidential Palace and up the street from Old Town.

The Bristol is a true grand hotel in the European sense in both style and service. I think it is far and away the nicest hotel in Warsaw, and a pretty good value compared to what the cost of a comparable hotel would be in another major European city.

Muerz Sep 2, 2003 2:26 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by zakami:
a famous US actor </font>
I bet I know who this is. Maybe an actor that was highly succesful in the early nineties with action-movies http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/wink.gif

Muerz

------------------
Visit the Hyatt Review Website at http://www.hotelreview.de.vu

zakami Sep 2, 2003 6:41 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Muerz:
I bet I know who this is. Maybe an actor that was highly succesful in the early nineties with action-movies http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/wink.gif

Muerz

</font>
Muerz, you are very correct. I suppose he isn't as famous anymore. I bet he is reading this !! He mentioned all he did was surf the net while in Warsaw and I mentioned FT to him when talk about hotels came up.