Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Pretoria (South Africa) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Pretoria (South Africa) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2016, 11:34 am

Programs: AA 4MM EXP; Starwood Lifetime Plt
Originally Posted by cur

... Typical to SPG in SA they were chintzy with upgrades, I only got club room when the house had to be at 10%.
They told me that upgrades are scarce because they fill up with VIPs from the Union Buildings just across the road. I've never been offered a suite in Pretoria, although always offered club level. The Westin in Cape Town is very consistent with suite upgrades, as was the LC in Hermanus when it was Starwood, so the problem really isn't SPG.
Old May 4, 2017, 11:23 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Skyteam E+, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I am here now. Used SNA's to upgrade to a Diplomatic Suite. It was approved on Monday. Arrived to the hotel today and found out that they have actually given me a Deluxe Suite, one category down.

The Deluxe Suite is just one big room, really big, with a sofa, 2 charis, desk, etc. Room is comfortable. Complimentary minibar (2 beer, 2 cola, 2 sparkling water, 2 water, 1 pringles, 1 kit kat and 2 Red Bull), but no Bvlgari amenities to be seen. They state on their website that the Deluxe Suite "boasts" Bvlgari amenities, but they only have the usual Shine stuff.

I am going to follow up on the SNA failure. Either way, the room is nice, but I do really prefer proper suites, i.e. separate sleeping and living areas. The suites are nothing to fight for, unless it is a Diplomatic Suite, which is a proper suite, and they are very few.
Old May 4, 2017, 11:24 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Skyteam E+, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Add:

I can confirm that the happy hour (alcohol) at the lounge is from 6PM till 7PM. One hour, and it is strictly enforced. Kinda cheap!
Old May 26, 2017, 9:53 am

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
Hi guys,

Stayed here back in Xmas 2014 but used Kwathlano (hotel tie up) for transportation.

Will be there next week again but would prefer to use the Gautrain from JNB to Hatfield as the savings will be around 75$ (2X rt JNB).

My question is is it safe to just get a public taxi at Hatfield Station to hotel? I dont have an UBER account so would like to know if it is easy and safe to just take a cab from Hatfield. Any experiences would greatly be appreciated!
Old May 26, 2017, 1:19 pm

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
Originally Posted by supatight80
Hi guys,

Stayed here back in Xmas 2014 but used Kwathlano (hotel tie up) for transportation.

Will be there next week again but would prefer to use the Gautrain from JNB to Hatfield as the savings will be around 75$ (2X rt JNB).

My question is is it safe to just get a public taxi at Hatfield Station to hotel? I dont have an UBER account so would like to know if it is easy and safe to just take a cab from Hatfield. Any experiences would greatly be appreciated!
The Gautrain is the way to go, especially during rush hour traffic.

I did this in February and was thru immigration/customs and on the train within 20 mins of landing from Addis Ababa. Puts YYZ to shame.

The Hatfield Station area is perfectly fine. The Canadian High Commission is just a block away and the flag clearly visible across from Gautrain bus stops. At night I would be more concerned about the area around the Sheraton itself as there were ladies of the night only 2 blocks away that were eager to bother my Uber ride on both sides of the car during a red light.

I absolutely loved South Africa and would go back at the first chance.

Enjoy your visit!
Old May 26, 2017, 2:43 pm

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
Originally Posted by PointWeasel
The Gautrain is the way to go, especially during rush hour traffic.

I did this in February and was thru immigration/customs and on the train within 20 mins of landing from Addis Ababa. Puts YYZ to shame.

The Hatfield Station area is perfectly fine. The Canadian High Commission is just a block away and the flag clearly visible across from Gautrain bus stops. At night I would be more concerned about the area around the Sheraton itself as there were ladies of the night only 2 blocks away that were eager to bother my Uber ride on both sides of the car during a red light.

I absolutely loved South Africa and would go back at the first chance.

Enjoy your visit!
Thanks PW

So taking a taxi at Hatfield would be perfectly safe?
Old Nov 6, 2017, 6:39 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
Thanks PW

So taking a taxi at Hatfield would be perfectly safe?
Sorry to bump , but have you travelled yet - guessing so ?
Old Nov 6, 2017, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by Flame3601
Sorry to bump , but have you travelled yet - guessing so ?
Yah i was a wuss...I took Kwathlano rental for pick up at airport
I think 495R
Old Nov 6, 2017, 9:57 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
Yah i was a wuss...I took Kwathlano rental for pick up at airport
I think 495R
Ah , probably for the best ! Was just going say do not get in the public taxi's that are in the form of minibuses as you will be getting something completely different then the standard run of the mill taxi's. I had a friend who some how got in one in Downtown Cape Town on the way to the airport and went for the ride of his life ..

When in South Africa , uber is the cheapest and outright best way to get around :-:
Old Mar 13, 2018, 3:06 pm

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
Any recent trip reports for this hotel? Have a stay coming up and I am wondering about how parking works at this hotel. Also, is this area safe?
Old Mar 28, 2018, 4:03 pm

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by kxc262
Any recent trip reports for this hotel? Have a stay coming up and I am wondering about how parking works at this hotel. Also, is this area safe?
Stayed here on the way to Kruger after flying into JNB. Stayed here before flying out as well. 2 separate stays.

Booked a deluxe room on points (5k) and requested rollaway bed.
Upgraded to the Diplomatic Suite. Not too bad - separate living room area with a 1 bedroom, 1.5 bath.

Other stay - no upgrade - just got deluxe room.

I was not charged for a roll away in either instance - just paid parking (80 RND). Parking is underground and very secure/safe.

My only complaint about this property was poor housekeeping - in both cases, the minibar was not cleaned and had used glasses.
Property is quite dated and old too.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 3:47 am

Considering staying two nights in February prior to a train journey to Victoria Falls. Any updates?
Old Jan 21, 2019, 2:07 pm

Anyone been there recently? Worth staying or look elsewhere?
Old Feb 9, 2024, 12:34 pm

Desperately needs refurbishment

Boy has this place gone downhill since I last stayed here about a decade ago...Used to stay here a number of times when in J'burg but haven't stayed since about 2015. It used to be a busy place as it's right across parliament building. But now the place is so dead and whatever guests they have are senior citizens on group tours.

Anyways as always, upgraded to their 1 bedroom executive suites (I think it was called Alcove Suite).

The suite has a separate powder room/toilet by the entrance door.

Was given a bowl of fruits as a Lifetime Titanium Guest

But is not well maintained. Wonder when the last time someone stayed here.

My suite however has fantastic views.

Parliament building

Fairly decent sized pool

They do have an Executive Lounge but didn't get a chance to have breakfast as had to leave at 6AM for my safari trip to Pilanesberg. But here are some photos.

The executive lounge. What a shame as the lounge looks one of the grandest out of numerous hotels i stayed at from the 107 countries visited so far.

During my stay, nothing can be charged to your room. So keep that in mind when eating at the restaurant. They serve buffet and was very cheap. 300ZAR/night net.

Stay was on January 2024 for 1 night. Suitable I guess nowadays for a night before heading to Pilanesberg, or Sun City.

SanDiego1K and dgreen12 like this.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 12:42 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Booked here for a stay in early March and around 10AM the morning we were supposed to check-in for our reservation, they email us that the hotel is cancelling the reservation due to a power outage. They offer to book us their sister hotel, Protea Hotel Pretoria Loftus Park. I didn't see this email until I arrived at the check-in counter of the rental car at the airport in the afternoon as I was on the plane when the email was sent. I replied back if they would honor the original booking rate at the Sheraton and they replied with no, it would be at market rate. I ended up calling the hotel using the phone from the rental car counter and they ended up honoring the booking rate with their sister hotel. Had a pretty good stay over there which I documented in this post.

I did miss out on an elite night earning, additional 5x points on the spend, and an executive lounge with this hotel swap even if the booking price was the same.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.